Jump to content

Those That Converted From Riders to Walkers: Your experiences...


Golfspy_CG2
 Share

Recommended Posts

As more and more courses start to open after being shutdown by the Corona Virus restrictions, many are doing so with cart restrictions or walking only. 

That's certainly understandable, and I wanted to get use this thread to get some overall thoughts from those that were exclsuviely riders in the past that will be walking upon golfs return, either on your own or due to the  restrictions. 

As somone who rides probably 99% of my rounds,  I'm very intriqued on how this will all shape out for my golf.  My 1% of walking is usually at a destination course with a caddy, such as a Pinehurst, Whistling Stratis, or Bandon.   I can't even recall the last time I walked and carried my bag for more than a 4 or 5 hole loop at my course. 

While I have walked those resort courses very recently and with no issues, it was on courss that are not terribly dififcult to walk.   My home course where I work and play is entirely different. ovre 95% of our play prior to the Pandemic was ridingn.  Before we were shutdown completely by the state Stay at Home Restrictions were were open for walking only for a few days, and we filled our tee sheets each day.   Partlyy I'm sure due to a very low rate we offered and beauutiful weather those few days.  

I've een lookng at push and electirc carts a lot the past few days, and have read all  the reviews and threads here and other plces and have pretty much settled on a few that I are at the top of my list.  Both push and electric.

However, before I were to make a large investment in an electric cart, I have to determine if walking our course, even with an electric or push cart is going to be physically feeasable fo rme.    One plus during this stay at home, I've lost 14  pounds and on top of 20 lost after a surgery in Novembe, I'm currently at the lightest I've been in over 15 years.   So that should help.    But I am worried about the layout of the course and the distance between some holes, it's not like walking a typical muni that has tees and greens located with a few yards of each  other.

So let's hear all your thoughts from  those who were riderss that have  or are planning on doing mostly walking and of course from the lng time walkers for any help or suggestions when you're playing a course that is not really walking friendly.   I  of course know to look for short cuts where you can leave your cart/bag and come back to it after putting out or teeing off.   

But hopefully we can get some good discussionns going here on the virtures and pitfalls of walking as things reopen.

  • Like 3

:titelist-small: TSi1 Aldila Ascent 40G shaft

:titelist-small: TSi2 18 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 and 23 degree hybrids Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T300 5-P Tensei  R flex shaft 1/4 long 

:titelist-small: SM8 48F/54/58 D Grinds 

:ping-small: Tyne 4 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm not a rider (except when only option at resorts) but I'm coming from the other direction. I (used to) love to walk and carry because of the simplicity but thanks to my Tiger-like spine issues I have moved to push carts and latterly to powered carts.

With the modern light weight materials there's a lot of choice when it comes to push carts and for the most part they fold up pretty small so you can't really go wrong. For me personally, as my condition got worse I found the slightly bent forward posture needed for the carts, especially on inclines, problematic. That's when I started looking at electric options. I bought a PowaKaddy FW5 and used that for about a year and loved it. Prompted by my enjoyment a couple of my playing partners then bought into the original eWheels launch.

Interestingly, I was at first a bit envious of the remote control capability but then I found it a distraction for both them and me as they were constantly fiddling with the remote control and overall it detracted from the social aspect of the round as well as some etiquette breaches. One guy has the habit of steering the cart way up the fairway and maneuvering while others are playing their shots. So there is a social as well as technical learning curve. The positives of the remote are that it does completely free you up to walk naturally and, when done correctly,  the ability to move cart to next tee etc can save time.

My experience watching them with their remotes got me thinking that surely it would be possible to get the cart to follow you. Of course, when I looked into this more I came across the Stewart X9 follow. I almost fell off my chair when I saw the price but found one on eBay for about $1500. I sold the PowaKaddy and took the plunge. Overall, I'm extremely happy with the X9. I use the follow function a lot during my rounds and it truly is a liberating experience being able to stride along the fairway with the bag dutifully following behind. There are a few negatives to the Stewart design but overall I can't see changing in the near future.

I was interested in the eWheels v2 which has follow, until I read that there is a physical wire tether. I thought it was a joke at first. I talked with the inventor and at some point they will have an upgrade which means this is not needed.

Hope this helps, happy to provide more detail on the X9 experience if anyone is interested.

    

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, mizuno said:

I'm not a rider (except when only option at resorts) but I'm coming from the other direction. I (used to) love to walk and carry because of the simplicity but thanks to my Tiger-like spine issues I have moved to push carts and latterly to powered carts.

With the modern light weight materials there's a lot of choice when it comes to push carts and for the most part they fold up pretty small so you can't really go wrong. For me personally, as my condition got worse I found the slightly bent forward posture needed for the carts, especially on inclines, problematic. That's when I started looking at electric options. I bought a PowaKaddy FW5 and used that for about a year and loved it. Prompted by my enjoyment a couple of my playing partners then bought into the original eWheels launch.

Interestingly, I was at first a bit envious of the remote control capability but then I found it a distraction for both them and me as they were constantly fiddling with the remote control and overall it detracted from the social aspect of the round as well as some etiquette breaches. One guy has the habit of steering the cart way up the fairway and maneuvering while others are playing their shots. So there is a social as well as technical learning curve. The positives of the remote are that it does completely free you up to walk naturally and, when done correctly,  the ability to move cart to next tee etc can save time.

My experience watching them with their remotes got me thinking that surely it would be possible to get the cart to follow you. Of course, when I looked into this more I came across the Stewart X9 follow. I almost fell off my chair when I saw the price but found one on eBay for about $1500. I sold the PowaKaddy and took the plunge. Overall, I'm extremely happy with the X9. I use the follow function a lot during my rounds and it truly is a liberating experience being able to stride along the fairway with the bag dutifully following behind. There are a few negatives to the Stewart design but overall I can't see changing in the near future.

I was interested in the eWheels v2 which has follow, until I read that there is a physical wire tether. I thought it was a joke at first. I talked with the inventor and at some point they will have an upgrade which means this is not needed.

Hope this helps, happy to provide more detail on the X9 experience if anyone is interested.

    

Great thanks very much.  I have read several other comments about the learning curve of the remote.   Interesting that you mention the social distraction, I've have seen that with other items such as cell phones, game tracking devices such as Arccos  and Game Golf and certain GPS devices that are used for that as well. 

I really like everything about the follow concept.  I could see myself however, always checking behind me to make sure it's there...LOL.    I  am wondering, it would be really neat if it could "follow" you in front of you.   You know staying within 10 yards or so of the device you are wearing on your belt, but just start out on a straight forward path.  

What do you say are the few negatives to the Stewart?

That's  hilarious about the tethered wire device..Ha

:titelist-small: TSi1 Aldila Ascent 40G shaft

:titelist-small: TSi2 18 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 and 23 degree hybrids Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T300 5-P Tensei  R flex shaft 1/4 long 

:titelist-small: SM8 48F/54/58 D Grinds 

:ping-small: Tyne 4 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There is a brand that does the forward "follow" - can't remember what it was called - I'll see if I can find it.

I agree on the distractions, cell phones particularly. That really gets me wound up sometimes but that's for me deal with better. I do think though that the culprits are missing out on a lot of what golf is about. I manage the tournaments at my club and some of the members are asking for live scoring but I'm kind of resisting because that just means more cell phones :-).

The follow function is very reliable and yes, at first it takes a bit of getting used to and you will be looking over your shoulder but after a couple of rounds you'll be in full flow. It is very accurate and although not recommended I will let it follow me over more difficult areas (bridges) and terrain. Once in a while, the bluetooth will drop and then you have to go back and fetch it. This happens once every 4 rounds say and is usually caused by a pot hole or some other ground anomaly. 

X9 negatives, in order of importance:

- no cruise control / dynamic braking - they claim to have a downhill brake but this is misleading - this just means you can leave on a slope and it will stay put.
if the power is engaged the cart will run away and speed up on a steep slope. this means you either have to keep hold of the handle (not a big deal), use series of small turns to brake or engage the follow and trust it will not nail you in the calves like a shopping trolley 🙂.

- it's a little bulky for transport (i have a truck so not an issue for me)

- lack of a sturdy umbrella mount (they do have one but it looks like it would snap in any wind)

- lack of battery power indicator - the stock battery is fine for 1+ rounds so not a huge deal 

- cost - the prices have come down recently but I would not have paid full price

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, mizuno said:

There is a brand that does the forward "follow" - can't remember what it was called - I'll see if I can find it.

I agree on the distractions, cell phones particularly. That really gets me wound up sometimes but that's for me deal with better. I do think though that the culprits are missing out on a lot of what golf is about. I manage the tournaments at my club and some of the members are asking for live scoring but I'm kind of resisting because that just means more cell phones :-).

The follow function is very reliable and yes, at first it takes a bit of getting used to and you will be looking over your shoulder but after a couple of rounds you'll be in full flow. It is very accurate and although not recommended I will let it follow me over more difficult areas (bridges) and terrain. Once in a while, the bluetooth will drop and then you have to go back and fetch it. This happens once every 4 rounds say and is usually caused by a pot hole or some other ground anomaly. 

X9 negatives, in order of importance:

- no cruise control / dynamic braking - they claim to have a downhill brake but this is misleading - this just means you can leave on a slope and it will stay put.
if the power is engaged the cart will run away and speed up on a steep slope. this means you either have to keep hold of the handle (not a big deal), use series of small turns to brake or engage the follow and trust it will not nail you in the calves like a shopping trolley 🙂.

- it's a little bulky for transport (i have a truck so not an issue for me)

- lack of a sturdy umbrella mount (they do have one but it looks like it would snap in any wind)

- lack of battery power indicator - the stock battery is fine for 1+ rounds so not a huge deal 

- cost - the prices have come down recently but I would not have paid full price

Thanks this is all great info!  While i really like the concept of the follow, I'm not sure I want to spend that much right off the bat.   

My full time job is Tournament Director  at our two courses.  One of the big things we have been talking about is the post golf "banquet" for the large outings.  These may not happen in the near future, so one thing that has been discussed is it will be required for scoring to be done via our course App, which we've had in place for a few years.   But like you said, it will mean one person at least in each group will be updating their cell phone each  hole.    So it will be interesting to see how it all  shakes out n a lot of ways. 

 

:titelist-small: TSi1 Aldila Ascent 40G shaft

:titelist-small: TSi2 18 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 and 23 degree hybrids Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T300 5-P Tensei  R flex shaft 1/4 long 

:titelist-small: SM8 48F/54/58 D Grinds 

:ping-small: Tyne 4 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, mizuno said:

CaddyTrek R2 is the one that has a "marching mode" as they call it.

I'll take a look at it.  Thanks

:titelist-small: TSi1 Aldila Ascent 40G shaft

:titelist-small: TSi2 18 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 and 23 degree hybrids Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T300 5-P Tensei  R flex shaft 1/4 long 

:titelist-small: SM8 48F/54/58 D Grinds 

:ping-small: Tyne 4 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, mizuno said:

Which app are you using for your tournaments if you don't mind me asking?

It's our course app,  CompassPointeGolf  but it's powered by Gallus. 

:titelist-small: TSi1 Aldila Ascent 40G shaft

:titelist-small: TSi2 18 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 and 23 degree hybrids Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T300 5-P Tensei  R flex shaft 1/4 long 

:titelist-small: SM8 48F/54/58 D Grinds 

:ping-small: Tyne 4 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

CG2, I'm also going to throw in an idea for an accessory that should be a must get for someone like you who's thinking it might be a change, and that's a seat that you can attach to whatever cart you get. A lot of the older guys I play with swear by them and considering you don't now how your body is going to react, especially with your recent weight loss, a good investment for sure.

  • Like 2

 :mizuno-small: ST180, 10.5, Kuro Kage Silver TINI Dual Core 60-S 

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero, 15*, Kuro Kage Silver TINI Dual Core 60-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: CBX119 18* Hybrid, Projext X Evenflow Blue, 6.0

:ping-small: G710, 4-UW, Blue Dot, Nippon Modus 105-S

:honma: TW-W4, 56*, Nippon Modus 125

:mizuno-small: T20, 61*, Nippon Modus 125

🤮⛳   Flo-C

:titelist-small: Pro V1X, 2021 Model, #33

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Berg Ryman said:

CG2, I'm also going to throw in an idea for an accessory that should be a must get for someone like you who's thinking it might be a change, and that's a seat that you can attach to whatever cart you get. A lot of the older guys I play with swear by them and considering you don't now how your body is going to react, especially with your recent weight loss, a good investment for sure.

Berg, thanks very much. That is definitely something I need to look at.  As our courses don't have benches out on any of the holes.  And while I can walk the 4 to 6 miles needed for most rounds, sometimes it's the idle standing that is most painful due to a back issue.   During my walking round at Whistling Straits last year, I was 100% fine when we were walking--with caddies--but a couple times we had an extended wait in the fairway waiting to hit.    I found myself having to pace around in order to keep my back from gettting tight. 

It seems that most of these don't have a seat.  when I get down to a final decision that will be one of the accessories I check  out.   Or see if I can get one of those foldable stadium seats that you see some carry at golf tournaments, maybe it could fit in next to the bag or something and then taken out if I need it.

  • Like 3

:titelist-small: TSi1 Aldila Ascent 40G shaft

:titelist-small: TSi2 18 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 and 23 degree hybrids Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T300 5-P Tensei  R flex shaft 1/4 long 

:titelist-small: SM8 48F/54/58 D Grinds 

:ping-small: Tyne 4 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've played a fairly good variety of courses while walking - some tight, and some not so much, hills, flat, at elevation, you name it. While I certainly would be less exasperated after a round riding, I find that I'm much more focused and at the same time less in my own head when I walk. Walking just allows me to enjoy the course in an entirely different way that works well for me. I think most of the people who walk regularly would probably tell you something similar.

What makes walking truly difficult is that 1) your are expending more energy which means you need to stay hydrated and should probably pack a snack or two if you don't do these things currently. 2) when you walk, you are more exposed to the elements. If you live somewhere that gets particularly hot, you really should look at purchasing a cart with an umbrella attachment and use it to keep yourself from getting completely baked. Also worth consideration is a seat of some kind for when you have to wait on a group in front or something. I have yet to do that last one, but I regret it every time I find myself standing for minutes on end to hit each shot.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Driver: Mizuno ST190 9.5* Aldila RIP Alpha 60 S
Fairway Wood: Mizuno ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hyrbrid: Mizuno CLK 19* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: Bridgestone J40 CB (4-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: Bridgestone Tour B XW-1 50*, 54*, & 58* Nippon Modus 3 105
Putter: Cleveland Huntington Beach SOFT Premier 4 34"
Ball: Snell MTB-X
Bag: 2017 Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TR1PTIK said:

I've played a fairly good variety of courses while walking - some tight, and some not so much, hills, flat, at elevation, you name it. While I certainly would be less exasperated after a round riding, I find that I'm much more focused and at the same time less in my own head when I walk. Walking just allows me to enjoy the course in an entirely different way that works well for me. I think most of the people who walk regularly would probably tell you something similar.

What makes walking truly difficult is that 1) your are expending more energy which means you need to stay hydrated and should probably pack a snack or two if you don't do these things currently. 2) when you walk, you are more exposed to the elements. If you live somewhere that gets particularly hot, you really should look at purchasing a cart with an umbrella attachment and use it to keep yourself from getting completely baked. Also worth consideration is a seat of some kind for when you have to wait on a group in front or something. I have yet to do that last one, but I regret it every time I find myself standing for minutes on end to hit each shot.

I think the umbrella holder and seat will be two absolute musts. 

  • Like 1

:titelist-small: TSi1 Aldila Ascent 40G shaft

:titelist-small: TSi2 18 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 and 23 degree hybrids Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T300 5-P Tensei  R flex shaft 1/4 long 

:titelist-small: SM8 48F/54/58 D Grinds 

:ping-small: Tyne 4 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have a Clicgear 3.5+ cart which I want to add some accessories to, such as the umbrella extension to make for a better sun shade. I thought about the seat as well but heard mixed reviews.  I walk whenever possible depending on my troublesome ankle and I enjoy the game more to be honest. I will ride when I travel though. 

  • Like 3

 

TaylorMade Supreme Hybrid Stand Bag

Ping G400 Max 10.5° w/HZRDUS Smoke Black

PXG 0341 3 wood 15° w/Project X Even Flow Blue

Ping G30 Hybrid 3 19° w/Ping TFC 419H

Ping G410 Crossover 4 23° w/Mitsubishi Tensei Blue

PXG 0211 Irons 5 - Gap w/True Temper Elevate 95

Callaway Mack Daddy CB 54° W-Grind w/KBS HI-REV 2.0 105

Evnroll ER7 34”

Kirkland Signature V2.0 3 piece 

Mileseey PF210 Laser Rangefinder

Clicgear 3.5+

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, MWGomez said:

I have a Clicgear 3.5+ cart which I want to add some accessories to, such as the umbrella extension to make for a better sun shade. I thought about the seat as well but heard mixed reviews.  I walk whenever possible depending on my troublesome ankle and I enjoy the game more to be honest. I will ride when I travel though. 

great, thanks for the feedback, yeah, I've heard mixed thoughts on the seat.  But I'm thinking it's better to have it and not use/need it versus realizing after the fact, I should have gotten it, and then having to wait on it. 

  • Like 1

:titelist-small: TSi1 Aldila Ascent 40G shaft

:titelist-small: TSi2 18 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 and 23 degree hybrids Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T300 5-P Tensei  R flex shaft 1/4 long 

:titelist-small: SM8 48F/54/58 D Grinds 

:ping-small: Tyne 4 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
On 5/5/2020 at 10:26 PM, MattWillGolf said:

I have a Clicgear 3.5+ cart which I want to add some accessories to, such as the umbrella extension to make for a better sun shade. I thought about the seat as well but heard mixed reviews.  I walk whenever possible depending on my troublesome ankle and I enjoy the game more to be honest. I will ride when I travel though. 

I also have a Clicgear 3.5+ as a result of the MGS Push Cart test done a couple years ago and it is why I bought it and why I am a member too.  Clicgear has a good selection of add ons for their carts like seat, cooler bags, oversize cup holders, shoe brushes, GPS holder, etc.  The manufacturer site also has refurbished carts that you have to call for availability on as their stock is constantly changing, mine is one of those and it will save you $ for a cart that has full warranty coverage.

I walk even when I have a discount certificate from Groupon or GroupGolfer that comes with riding cart because as was mentioned before I can focus better on the game and relax as it is my place apart.  It is good exercise that keeps me healthy and when hills are an issue I walk a slightly longer path going across the slope to reduce the steepness and the 3.5+/4.0 has a wide wheel span that does a side slope well.  Also mentioned was hydration and snacks, water bottles hang from the handle rings well using D-rings and my choice is a box of granola snacks so grabbing one every few holes when I feel an energy slump coming on it's easily avoided, like having an in-flight refueling on the go or at a natural break point.  I also have a mesh bag clipped to the handle to carry wrappers to the next garbage can (and dirty balls to the next washer when they're available to use). 

  • Like 2

Verified Hack, 23 handicap 🙂  Golfing for exercise and peace of mind.

|> Big Dogs: O'Donnell Triumph hybrids 10-15-19-27 graphite, Ginty Trouble Club steel

|> Blades: First StrikeTM DeliveranceTM 3-4-5-6-7-8-9-P  Spitfire Graphite XL Shafts

|> Flatstick: Pinemeadow Z-ON M1       

⛳.  :1590477705_SunMountain:C130 Supercharged 🌲  :Clicgear:3.5+  🌳   1435280570_COBALTicon25tall.jpg.31b6f5458d409c6539d66b88e728a841.jpgQ6 Slope   🏌️‍♂️  572101405_SwingUicon25.jpg.ef5d6308ca59444daedc3e24214e87d9.jpgSwingU Looper  

💻  1308581734_EPLogoxsm.jpg.93b58a256c00a74e47a35314305b477f.jpgMGS Logo  🌐  1590215503_dghLogo30.jpg.f5abb718a74e4d05c07131656bb13e78.jpgBall mark   |>   IGBRC   [International Golf Ball Rescue Committee] "playing the best found balls" -Founder-

1231925043_PGAHOPE_H_4Ch30.png.f5b3c2e4a88708f6a6b5d3e143d9cba8.png PGA HOPE Member 2138091835_StickHackLogo2021(3)20pixelstall.png.47a28d11828bd99f0147b9eee5c17ec4.png  "The World's Greatest Golf Club Without The Course" Member 

2020 Official Tester - PuttUp mat logo_full_331d238c-3cab-4f84-ac72-d09e86f448c5_300x-25.png.11580987b80d9d26da7f04a31eadac9d.png  2021 Official Tester - Inesis Waterproof Grip Golf Shoes 1398724741_Inesislogo.jpg.34e215e2c1310a7b31d310ab89f4c188.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is the first year I am walking more then riding, I really like it, I use a tour trek that my parents had in their garage that I "borrowed" 😉. I now walk at least 9 every week and their are some courses in South Jersey that still using cart so those rounds I have to drive and while I am having fun I just feel like walking is better now. Pretty much going to stay walking from here on out 

  • Like 1

:ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:taylormade-small: 3 Rescue Hybrid

:mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/4/2020 at 1:12 PM, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Great thanks very much.  I have read several other comments about the learning curve of the remote.   Interesting that you mention the social distraction, I've have seen that with other items such as cell phones, game tracking devices such as Arccos  and Game Golf and certain GPS devices that are used for that as well. 

I really like everything about the follow concept.  I could see myself however, always checking behind me to make sure it's there...LOL.    I  am wondering, it would be really neat if it could "follow" you in front of you.   You know staying within 10 yards or so of the device you are wearing on your belt, but just start out on a straight forward path.  

What do you say are the few negatives to the Stewart?

That's  hilarious about the tethered wire device..Ha

One neat thing about having a remote is you can leave the cart while looking for a ball ( yours or someone else’s) and not have to go get the cart - you just send it to you.  Use it like that a lot.

  • :ping-small: G Driver 10.5 Aldila Alta Regular Flex 5
  • TaylorMade Sim 2 5 wood Fujikura Ventus Blue 5R shaft
  • :titelist-small: H818 Hybrids 21 and 25 degrees Tensei ck Series 60 HY regular flex shafts at D4 settings
  • :titelist-small: 718 AP1 irons 6-gap Tensei ck Series AMC IR regular flex bent two degrees flat
  • :vokey-small: SM 7 Wedge 58 degrees M grind with 8 bounce Steel shafts wedge flex
  • :ping-small: Glide 3 52.12 and 56.14 with  Alta CB Red Regular Flex shaft
  • :cameron-small: Select Newport 2 putter 34 inch length
  • :titelist-small:  Pro V1x
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've walked primarily for my golfing life. I'll use a cart at the resort course that requires it, but walk all other rounds. Sun mountain, rovic and clicgear all make good cats for waking. I have a clicgear 3.5, I've used it for 5 years or so now. 

But with the new attachments that can turn one of these into a powered cart, I think the rovic has the advantage since it's front wheel isn't fixed and it allows the cart to turn much better with a motor. 

A different option, would be to go with the personal cart, I. E a golfboard or Finn Cycle. The Finn cycle is great, very easy to ride, lots of fun, and it has a built in seat for delays. 

I use a onewheel these days and carry my clubs on my back. it has been fantastic for my needs, but it isn't for everyone. 

But a big win for walking, you score better. I remember an article in golf digest moons ago that said walking with your own clubs was about 1.5 strokes a round better than riding in a cart. Having a caddie took off another stroke. 

  • Like 2

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 17.5° - Fujikura Pro

Utility:    :cobra-small: King Forged 20.5° Utility - Catalyst X

Irons:   image.png.cbfb2d938ea45d82004d9bdeb23cf643.pngD7 Forged GW-5i - Recoils

Wedges:   :Sub70:  JB 52° , 286 56°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I too have walked courses the vast majority of my golf life. I only use drive carts when the course requires them to be used or on courses that the terrain and/or distance between holes is too much.  Honestly, I find riding in carts (unless solo) distracting.  Walking to my ball allows me to completely focus on the upcoming shot and, in many cases because we play ready golf, move the group pace along better than going back and forth between ride partner shots.

I picked up a used Sun Mountain Speed Cart some years back and it works really well. It does have the pneumatic tires which have fallen victim to Goatheads in AZ.  I've contemplated buying the retrofit foam tires, but their more than I paid for the cart.  So, I've been reading the various threads on newer walking carts and now trying to decide whether having a motorized system is worth it.  At 59, I'm still in good shape but there have been a few holes at Madison Meadows (Ennis, MT), 5000 ft.,  where I wish it would drive itself 🤪.

  • Like 1

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • GolfSpy MPR changed the title to Those That Converted From Riders to Walkers: Your experiences...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...