Internal vs. External Focus?

Our Sponsors

Specifically when playing on the course, do you have an external focus or internal focus? For example, when I play, I usually have some sort of swing thoughs (internal focus) such as how my arms should move, how i should rotate, etc. I am thinking about switching to having an external focus. I find that when I have too many swing thoughts on the course, it usually doesn't help or just makes things even worse. 

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Current tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 12/27/2020
Driver:titelist-small: TSi 2 - Graphite Design AD-XC 6S
Hybrids:taylormade-small: SIM Max 3H, 4H - Matrix Ozik 85S
Irons:srixon-small: ZX5 5 - PW - Nippon Modus 120 S
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2 54, CBX Full Face 58 - KBS Hi-Rev S
Putter:  :EVNROLL: ER2

i usually think about how good my cigar tastes, or what i want for dinner, or if it’ll be nice enough tomorrow to take the motorcycle to work.

in between letting all those easy thoughts roll around in my head, i try to hit the ball as solidly as i can. 

the time to think is during practice. 

• Like 4

:taylormade-small: SIM2 8º | KuroKage XT 70TX
:taylormade-small: SIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX
:titelist-small: U500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
:titelist-small: T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
::vokey-small: SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
:scotty-small:  Futura 5w

18 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

Specifically when playing on the course, do you have an external focus or internal focus? For example, when I play, I usually have some sort of swing thoughs (internal focus) such as how my arms should move, how i should rotate, etc. I am thinking about switching to having an external focus. I find that when I have too many swing thoughts on the course, it usually doesn't help or just makes things even worse. 

When I'm hitting the ball decently, I'm similar to @DaveP043. When things are a struggle, I have trouble quieting all the swing thoughts that might correct things that could be going wrong.

• Like 3

Driver: :taylormade-small: M5 10.5* (set at 8.5*) Tensei CK Orange
3W: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 15* Recoil 460ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-PW:  :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
AW: :mizuno-small:S5 52*
SW: :cleveland-small: Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW: :cleveland-small: Zipcore Black Satin 58*
Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Marxman
Bag: :bridgestone-small: Tour B Stand Bag
Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

:SuperSpeed: Tester
Starting Driver Speed on PRGR Monitor: 102 mph

Final Driver Speed (end of Level 2): 120 mph

I typically float between internal and external focuses. I've had really good rounds where I've been working with a simple swing thought, and likewise I've had really good rounds where all I did was focus on a branch or leaf or another tiny target and visualize my shot.

I have found that my swing is not consistent enough to always only have external focus. I have years of bad habits/wrong movements that come back in a hurry. One thing I need to do a better job of this year is creating a system like @DaveP043 mentions - a setup routine to get the bullet points out of the way, and then a switch to a more results-oriented focus as I'm readying to hit the ball. Golf Sidekick's thinking vs. play box concept comes to mind here as what I'm trying to accomplish.

• Like 6

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 9.5 (Last Updated March 13, 2021)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Mavrik (9°), 45.75", Dumina AutoFlex SF505X | Unofficial AutoFlex Review
17° Hybrid:
callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Super Hybrid, 41.5", Mitsubishi MMT Hybrid 80 TX
18.5° Driving Iron: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2016 Model), 39.5", Mitsubishi MMT Utility 105 TX
21° Hybrid:
callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Epic Flash, 40", Mitsubishi MMT Hybrid 80 TX
4-AW:  
Sub70_Logo_WhtBlk.jpg.aee386374adf9afd31a02b989c839f9d.jpg Sub70 699 (4-6)/699 Pro (7-AW) Combo Set, 1° Flat, 37" 7 Iron, Mitsubishi MMT Taper 105 TX | Build Thread
54°, 58°:
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING MIM Black, 1° Flat, 35.5", 35.25", Mitsubishi MMT Wedge 105 TX | #CobraConnect Review
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
lamkin.png.5081890e009ae78e16066ee0fd18b7c0.png Lamkin Sonar Tour
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: :Arccos: Arccos | #CobraConnect Review
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: :CaddyTek: CaddyTek Caddylite EZ V8 | Unofficial Review

WITB? | 2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

Count me in the external group. Once I’m on the course I try to not think too much about swing thoughts and just use the swing I have that day. 

that being said if I need a certain shot shape I will rehearse it but still think more of what I want the ball to do rather than a certain arm or body position. 

I play my best when I keep my thoughts simple and a calm demeanor. 

• Like 7

#COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4 ALUMNUS

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver 10.5 - Ventus Blue 6x | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8s | :cobra-small: Speedzone 4-Hybrid - KBS Proto 85s

:cobra-small: KING Forged Tec 5-GW - Nippon Modus 120x | :cobra-small: KING MIM Black 52.12C, 56.10V, 60.04W - Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :Snell: MTB-X | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 HD Slope

#cuetheduckboats

GG talks about this in his course. He determines the shot he’s going to hit, takes a swing to develop a feel turns that feel into a swing. Then he goes external and enjoys the course, views and so on. Then when he’s ready to hit the shot he goes super internal in a Jason day like manner then approaches the ball and hits. No swing thoughts at this point, no more practice swings since you have already built that in with the feel swing 

This is something I’m going to be using this season. The mental game section of the course is pretty good.

• Like 2

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

When I am playing, it is external focus.  I am picking targets and visualizing the shot.   I don't think mechanics other than controlling my tempo.  I don't believe you should be thinking how to swing once you are on the course playing; you body should know what to do.      Note,  if you are practicing on the course you can have internal thoughts. 

• Like 3

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :taylormade-small:TM-180

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

External. If anything, I think of the golf club as a Jai alai “cesta” and that the ball is already attached to it. I’m just throwing the ball to the target. You could also think of one of those tennis ball launchers for dogs. 

image.jpeg.7b446486093ffbffc03db6cbdb645bdf.jpeg

Edited by crw

Sun Mountain 4.5 LS 14-way / Cobra F9 PX HZRDUS Black 65 6.5 / Srixon Z F85 PX HZRDUS Black 75 6.5 / Srixon Z H85 19* MCA Tensei CK Pro White 90 TX / SRIXON Z965 4-PW DG TI X100 / Cleveland RTX-4 50,54,60 DG TI S400 / Cleveland 2016 HB #1

I especially need to focus on external thoughts in the short game. I swear every time I have a swing thought on a pitch i hit it super thin over the green. 

• Like 6

Updated 12/27/2020

9 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

I especially need to focus on external thoughts in the short game. I swear every time I have a swing thought on a pitch i hit it super thin over the green. 

just a suggestion, but have you tried **no** thoughts?

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Chip Strokes said:

just a suggestion, but have you tried **no** thoughts?

Hmm, then my mind would think “don’t have any thoughts”

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Updated 12/27/2020

4 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

you’re doing so much work to your swing, you have to give your body a chance to take over and execute what you’ve been working on. 

otherwise your swing on the course will always be forced.  swinging a golf club is an athletic motion. you can’t think about how to be athletic.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

also this is far less damning than “well i need my hands to be here, and my hips should be doing this, yeah that feels ok, time to release the club head now...”

it’s kinda like tryin to f*ck but narrating the whole thing. all the romance is gone, baby. 

• Haha 3

31 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

I struggle with around the green thoughts especially when I’m struggling. All the other facets I’m very external, get up and hit the shot (routine) I’m rarely taking practice swings unless it’s an odd lie but besides that I’m soaking in the course.....until I’m green side (except sand oddly enough).

I also enjoy chit chatting on the course with whom ever that typically really removes any internal thoughts on course related to swing mechanics

• Like 2

Check out my reviews

:ping-small: G710 Irons Lacassem official review

WITB:

:taylormade-small: FlexTech is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X

:taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green  

:taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ 

:titelist-small: 48 SM8 - Nippon Modus 125 S

:titelist-small: 52, 56, 60 SM7 - Nippon Modus 125 S

:odyssey-small: O-Works 1W

:titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Bushnell Tour V3 Jolt

On The Bench:

:adams-small: 2H VST - Super Idea S Matrix Kujoh S-Flex 

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

For me, it depends.

If I'm swinging reasonably well, my focus is totally external.  I'm thinking about the shot I'm going to hit and where I want it to go.  I really like the "think box/play box" from Nilsson and Marriott.  Their books are really, really good.

When I'm hitting it left of left, I'm trying to "recall the feeling" of hitting a slice (thanks Adam Young).  I'm probably playing like garbage, and I'm trying to keep from killing people in neighboring fairways.  

Once every few years, I don't think about anything when I play.  Those are pretty special rounds, but they're super-rare.  Most of the time, it's tough to turn off the voices in my head, so I'm trying to keep them from being too damaging.

• Like 3

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
4 Wood (17*) - :callaway-logo-1: Big Bertha S2H2 - RCH 90 "Firm"
7 Wood  - :callaway-logo-1: Big Bertha Warbird S2H2 - RCH 90 "Firm"
5i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
GW - LW - :cobra-small: F8 - N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour105 ( S )
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Black)
Ball -  :taylormade-small: TP5X Pix
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

What's in timeout:
3 Wood (16*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
4i - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )

31 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

No swing thoughts when playing , other than how to play a particular shot.  This is especially true for short game shots.  If you are thinking about swing thoughts for a pitch shot, then you haven't practiced that shot enough.  It should be automatic, and you should trust it.  A pitch shot is a feel shot.  You can't expect to pull off a feel shot of any kind without a lot of practice.

It's extremely difficult to eliminate swing thoughts when you hit a bad shot.  You are trying to figure out what you did wrong.  Sometimes you just hit a bad shot; pros do it; accept it and move on.  Once you start down the path of trying to analyze your swing based on a couple of shots while playing, the round is lost.  Go to the range.

I struggle with this too.  It's probably the main reason I have been sucking lately.  I think it's excuse #8.  😂  Today, I hit one of my better drives on our #1 handicap hole and had a PW into the green.  Usually, I have a 7i or 8i and if the wind is blowing... a hybrid.  The shot is over water with bunkers left and right and depending on the angle, a bunker long too.  My last thought was the nice shot I made with my PW on the range before I played.  I hit a great shot; looked good in the air.  It was on the green... barely; still a par.

• Like 5

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

For me, swing thoughts during a round are a no-no; with the exception of when I’m trying to hit an exaggerated shot( hook/slice around a tree, punch or flop) It’s taken me awhile to not be results oriented while playing golf: if I executed what I intended, I accept the outcome and move on. When I focus on any one outcome, good or bad, my game starts to unravel.

I use “the decision box” on course; I evaluate my lie, choose my shot and select my club in the “think” section, practice my swing and visualize the shot I want in the “feel” section, and then I set up to the ball and swing - no thoughts, I just go before tension sets in.

IMG_4165.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 6

24CC2B3B-0E46-4165-97D1-F1CA4C5041C8.png

1 hour ago, Chip Strokes said:

you’re doing so much work to your swing, you have to give your body a chance to take over and execute what you’ve been working on. 

otherwise your swing on the course will always be forced.  swinging a golf club is an athletic motion. you can’t think about how to be athletic.

Yeah, im going to give external thoughts a try. I don't think my internal swing thoughts ever have any benefit whatsoever on the course. 

Some of the best series of shots that I have hit on a course was while I was on a conference call, and was trying to pay attention to the call in case someone asked me a question. 

• Like 6

Updated 12/27/2020

I picture the shot I want to hit, then I have 1 or maybe two swing thoughts to execute the shot for the practice swings, then I only have a setup check for the shot before picturing it in my head again.  Any more than that and I am practicing and not playing.

Modern Bag:  Ping G410+ 9*, Accra TourZ X265 M5;  Callaway Mavrik 16.5* 4W, EvenFlow Riptide 6.0 S 70g;  Mizuno JPX 919 HMP 4i, PX LZ 6.0;  Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Cleveland Tour Action 49*, 53*, 57*; PX LZ 6.5 ;  Ping Heppler Fetch;  Ball - Snell MTB-X; Bag - Sun Mountain H2NO 

Classic Bag:  Driver - Wilson Staff Persimmon; 3w - Hogan Speed Slot; 5w - Wilson Staff Tour Block; 3 - pw - Staff Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.