Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Help with (lefty) hybrid needed

Jasper279

I am considering to get a hybrid to improve the gapping in my long clubs. Currently I play a 4 iron and 4 wood, but the gap between the two is too large: about 20-25 yards. Additionally, I am not really comfortable with hitting my 4w from the fairway, so therefore think I am better off with a hybrid than of 5w or 7w (even though I have never played a hybrid before).

I just have one problem: as a left handed player, it seems almost impossible to try one first or get a good fit. My local  golf shops and fitters hardly have any LH hybrid demos and the ones they do have, are not in the loft I expect to need (they mostly have 23-27 degree demos). So even if I would go for a fitting, getting the right gapping is probably still a guess.

I want to get a second hand club first, just to make sure I am not spending a lot of money on a club I may end up not liking. So I am probably looking for models like Titleist TS2/3, Ping G410, Callayway Epic (based on what golfbidder has available in adjustable LH hybrids and what I am willing to spend).

I could use some advise of these questions:

- What loft to go for? I've looked up some tables and 20 degrees seems to be the most suggested 3 iron replacement (which seems to be what I am looking for)

- Go for adjustable hosel? Might decrease my options, but since I am not getting fit, seems a good way to ensure I can tweak distance.

- Shaft flex and weight? Last year I got for for DG 120 S400 shaft for my P790/770 set. So go for stiff flex and - if I can find one - a somewhat heavier shaft?

Any other tips are also welcome...

My current clubs:

- 4 iron: TM P790 with DG 120 S400, carries about 195 yards

- 4 wood: Ping G25 4w (16.5 degrees) with stock Ping TFC 189 stiff shaft, carries about 215-220 yards

My game: handicap 2, average ballstriker for my level (mostly scoring with short game). Swingspeeds: 7i: 85mph, driver: 105 mph (on typical swings, not max. speed). Typical miss is a pull, so no draw bias needed...

P.S. If I like the hybrid and the gapping is ok, I'll probably replace my 4w with a 3w to get a correct gapping between the hybrid and fairway wood. I currently only have 13 clubs in my bag after ditching my 3 iron a couple of year ago, so I could replace the 4w with both a hybrid and a 3w.

Callaway Big Bertha (2014) driver

4W: Ping G25

4i: TM P790 (DG 120 S400)

5i-PW: TM P770 (DG 120 S400)

50/56/60: Cleveland RTX Zipcore (DG Spinner)

Putter: Ping Sigma2 Arna

38 minutes ago, Jasper279 said:

- What loft to go for? I've looked up some tables and 20 degrees seems to be the most suggested 3 iron replacement (which seems to be what I am looking for)

The design of the hybrids will vary as well as how you deliver the club so the loft is hard to say what works of what won’t. They tend to launch higher than long irons and that will have influence over distance.

40 minutes ago, Jasper279 said:

Go for adjustable hosel? Might decrease my options, but since I am not getting fit, seems a good way to ensure I can tweak distance.

Adjustable hosels will affect face angle which could influence how you swing the club and how it affects ball flight.

42 minutes ago, Jasper279 said:

Shaft flex and weight? Last year I got for for DG 120 S400 shaft for my P790/770 set. So go for stiff flex and - if I can find one - a somewhat heavier shaft?

Flex has no standard so what’s a stiff in one company could be a x stiff in another or regular flex. You need to find the right weigh and then flex. This is where trial and error gets tough and expensive. Also by changing shafts it can influence how you deliver then club. 

Finding a fitter that has options would be your best bet. There’s no bad hybrids on the market only hybrids and shaft combo that don’t work for your swing 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I have two hybrids - 25 degrees instead of a 5 iron and 21 degrees instead of a three and four iron.  I love the 25 but am inconsistent with the 21 and plan on looking at a 7 wood this year to see if I like it better. The clubs fit perfectly between my 5 wood and 6 iron.

I am also left handed and got fitted for the hybrids (and most of my clubs) by a pro at my club.

• :taylormade-small: Sim 2 Driver Fujikura Ventus Blue 6R shaft
  • :taylormade-small:Sim 2 5 wood Fujikura Ventus Blue 5R shaft
  •  th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0311 Gen 5 Seven Wood Project X Cypher 50 5.5 shaft.
  • :titelist-small: H818 Hybrid 25 degrees Tensei ck Series 60 HY regular flex shafts at C4 setting (flat for lefties)
  • th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg 0311 Gen 6 Hybrids 3-28 and 31 degrees.
  • :titelist-small: 718 AP1 irons 6-gap Tensei ck Series AMC IR regular flex bent two degrees flat
  • :vokey-small: SM 7 Wedge 58 degrees M grind with 8 bounce Steel shafts wedge flex bent 2 degrees flat
  • :ping-small: Glide 3 52.12 with  Alta CB Red Regular Flex shaft bent 2 degrees flat
  • image.png.e5dbe8fedd098b46b3fda77752b5beae.png MG4 56.12 with Fujikura Ventus TR Blue Flex: R
  • LAB DF3 putter - 33 inches long, 71 degree lie angle, Accra shaft
  • Bridgestone B X or Titleist Pro V-1x

image.png

image.png

On 4/14/2022 at 4:23 PM, Jasper279 said:

I am considering to get a hybrid to improve the gapping in my long clubs. Currently I play a 4 iron and 4 wood, but the gap between the two is too large: about 20-25 yards. Additionally, I am not really comfortable with hitting my 4w from the fairway, so therefore think I am better off with a hybrid than of 5w or 7w (even though I have never played a hybrid before).

I just have one problem: as a left handed player, it seems almost impossible to try one first or get a good fit. My local  golf shops and fitters hardly have any LH hybrid demos and the ones they do have, are not in the loft I expect to need (they mostly have 23-27 degree demos). So even if I would go for a fitting, getting the right gapping is probably still a guess.

I want to get a second hand club first, just to make sure I am not spending a lot of money on a club I may end up not liking. So I am probably looking for models like Titleist TS2/3, Ping G410, Callayway Epic (based on what golfbidder has available in adjustable LH hybrids and what I am willing to spend).

I could use some advise of these questions:

- Go for adjustable hosel? Might decrease my options, but since I am not getting fit, seems a good way to ensure I can tweak distance.

- Shaft flex and weight? Last year I got for for DG 120 S400 shaft for my P790/770 set. So go for stiff flex and - if I can find one - a somewhat heavier shaft?

Any other tips are also welcome...

My current clubs:

- 4 iron: TM P790 with DG 120 S400, carries about 195 yards

- 4 wood: Ping G25 4w (16.5 degrees) with stock Ping TFC 189 stiff shaft, carries about 215-220 yards

My game: handicap 2, average ballstriker for my level (mostly scoring with short game). Swingspeeds: 7i: 85mph, driver: 105 mph (on typical swings, not max. speed). Typical miss is a pull, so no draw bias needed...

P.S. If I like the hybrid and the gapping is ok, I'll probably replace my 4w with a 3w to get a correct gapping between the hybrid and fairway wood. I currently only have 13 clubs in my bag after ditching my 3 iron a couple of year ago, so I could replace the 4w with both a hybrid and a 3w.

I carry 2 - 410 hybrids a 22* and a 26* (a 4i and a 5i replacement). Note the 410's have adjustable hosels. Also the 'standard' shaft was an Alta - when I was fit for the 410's the Tensi shaft was better for my swing (optional no charge shaft). I even use the hybrids out of thick rough and even occasionally out of fairway bunkers.  Note: the other brands, Titleist, Callaway, etc didn't work as well so you might want to try a bunch of different brands at a big box store. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

6 hours ago, Dax279 said:

Have you considered PXG? I thought they might have had a few authored retailers in Netherlands. One of these would likely have a lefty hybrid for you to try out?

I agree. This is a good option to check into.