Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Journey To A Better Drive

I have always struggled when it comes to the driver. I am self taught and very much a feel player.  

About 15 years ago I was shooting at a 3 handicap and didn't play a driver. It was a 2 iron off the tee and working at a golf course in a small town, had the opportunity to go play the course all the time.  I know not learning the driver hits many the wrong way and trust me it has me as well.  I left the game after about 4 or 5 years because life changed and I didn't get to play often.  The last year or so, I have gotten back into the game full swing and I am sitting at a 12.  Driver is still the issue and I finally took a lesson last week and have one again this next week.

My goal for myself this next 12 months is to get back down to low single digits and I know I have to get the driver under control. 

Fortunately for me, I work for myself and have the ability to hit the range daily and will be joining my local course now that some family items have been settled.  

I'm making this thread so that I can post videos, progress and updates on my journey back to a 3 handicap.  Feel free to offer advice, jokes or anything in between.  

I'll post my latest driver swing once I'm at my computer and can upload it. 

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

1.5 months ago

Todays Swing

Lessons are def the right call. Followed up by purposeful practice focused solely on what the instructor gave you.

That's my advice 😆 

I can see things in your setup, movement and transition but I absolutely cannot ID the root cause and offer any help .. sorry....

But will be following along and do wish you good luck on your journey to better!!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

50 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

Lessons are def the right call. Followed up by purposeful practice focused solely on what the instructor gave you.

That's my advice 😆 

I can see things in your setup, movement and transition but I absolutely cannot ID the root cause and offer any help .. sorry....

But will be following along and do wish you good luck on your journey to better!!

I appreciate it!  

I am hoping to do a deep dive with my pro this next lesson so that I can start really practicing.  

Here are some things I know I need to work on.

1. Flexibility- I need to start doing yoga again so that my hips and well entire body loosen up and allow correct rotation.  Which should correct the sway I see in the videos.

2. Finishing my swing and not over extending at the back swing. 

3. Coming in steep. He has me doing a figure 8 and I struggle to carry that feeling through the swing. 

I played today and the front 9 I shot a 3 over and kept my tempo great and was hitting the ball well.  Driver was in play but was a pull with a small fade/slice.  The back nine I shot a 6 over with a double but scrambled to shoot that.  I started rushing my shots and my driver I went back to topping and leaning back. 

Good luck on your journey! Best advice I can offer, and it echoes what Chuck suggested, is to take what your pro gives you and focus on implementing that. If at all possible avoid YouTube, Tik Tok, or Instagram for swing tips or advice. 
Ironically, the best advice I’ve seen on YouTube was a video of Tiger saying something to the effect of “Ignore YouTube, just keep pounding balls on the range.”

WITB:

D: :taylormade-small: QI-10 core 9* Ventus Blue TR Velocore 6x

3w: :taylormade-small: Brnr mini driver 13.5 S

3h: :ping-small: G430 19° Tour 2/Stiff

7W: :callaway-small: 21° Rogue ST Max LinQ 7X

5i-6i:  :srixon-small: ZX5 MKII Project X 6.0

7i-PW: :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII Project X 6.0

50°, 54° & 58°:   :ping-small: Glide Forged Pro

P:   :odyssey-small: White Hot Versa DW

Ball:  :bridgestone-small: Tour BX mindset

Bag:  Ghost MGS Anyday 14 way

"And so, we beat on, boats against the current, borne ceaselessly into the past." - Fitzgerald

” The woods are lovely, dark and deep,   

But I have promises to keep,   

And miles to go before I sleep,   

And miles to go before I sleep. - Frost

"That you are here—that life exists and identity,

That the powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse." - Whitman

6 minutes ago, Ben Joest said:

Good luck on your journey! Best advice I can offer, and it echoes what Chuck suggested, is to take what your pro gives you and focus on implementing that. If at all possible avoid YouTube, Tik Tok, or Instagram for swing tips or advice. 
Ironically, the best advice I’ve seen on YouTube was a video of Tiger saying something to the effect of “Ignore YouTube, just keep pounding balls on the range.”

I have gone down those worm holes. 

I'm following the pros advice and having to teach myself how to train the brain how to practice and not just hit. 

I had a really good range session today.  I have been working on flexibility because for years I abused my body with lifting and not properly stretching.  Today I focused on rotation and really keeping my head still and my shoulder under my chin. My contact improves dramatically and I hit some great shots.  I'm still coming in a little steep at times but I'm liking the improved striking.  

I had my driver lesson with my local pro and things went really well this morning.  I made a few changes to my club from what I was fitted with by PXG.  They had my weights to promote a draw which was causing my swing to actually hold on to the club which left the face open causing this big pull fade constantly.  I switched the heavier weight to the back of the club to balance it out.  I put the setting to standard instead of slightly closed and shot after shot was hitting dead straight.  My misses became just a dead pull from being too quick with my upper body.  

My coach is happy with my setup and alignment.  Happy with most swings and told me continue to feel like I'm swinging down the line.  I am looking forward to getting on the course to replicate what I saw today.  

Update on the dreaded driver...  I have been hitting it better and I am making progress but it is a long term process for sure.  

During yesterdays round I was finding some FW's but hitting a pull fade.  I caught myself swaying and getting to quick.  I did have a few drives where I slowed down and really focused on the process and hit great shots.  

1 hour ago, jdparker said:

Update on the dreaded driver...  I have been hitting it better and I am making progress but it is a long term process for sure.  

During yesterdays round I was finding some FW's but hitting a pull fade.  I caught myself swaying and getting to quick.  I did have a few drives where I slowed down and really focused on the process and hit great shots.  

@jdparker I bolded and underlined a statement you previously posted as this is a very important item or lesson that an old professional taught me a long time ago.

If you have a feeling of making a correct swing in about 80% of the speed you think you need to swing at, the results usually are much better, and actually it keeps you in better sequence and timing.

Most people don't realize that the clubhead travels at a different rate and faster speed than their hands or body.

Driver & Fairway: :titleist-small: Titleist TSR3 10 degree - :Fuji: Ventus TR Blue & :titleist-small: TSR3 15 - :projectx: Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black 

Hybrid: :callaway-small: Callaway Apex UW 19 - :projectx: Hzrdus Smoke Black

Irons: :titleist-small: Titleist T200 3G (4) & T150 - (5-G) - :projectx: Project X LZ 

Wedges: :vokey-small: Vokey SM8 54, and 58

Putter: :cameron-small: Cameron Phantom X 7

Ball: :titleist-small: Pro V1 & :maxfli: Maxfli Tour

My driver has been getting better but I noticed something the other day in my swing that got me thinking about a few things. I started doing some research on grip size.  

What I noticed is that sometimes my thumb is moving in my swing and causing additional movement that shouldn't be there.  I wear a medium glove which puts me in a standard grip.  The issue is I'm more hand than fingers/thumb.

I ordered an undersized grip to try.  I picked up the wife's club this morning and the control with the proper grip is night and day.  My miss is a fade/slice and from reading articles it may be the wrong size grip. 

Has anyone ever gone to a undersized grip?  I see everyone going the other direction.... 

6 hours ago, jdparker said:

Has anyone ever gone to a undersized grip?  I see everyone going the other direction.... 

In this case unintentionally went the other direction... CPO made a rare mistake and put a Midsize grip on a driver I'd ordered instead of a Regular...

It's still on there - for now - as I wanted to try it out; for example I like Midsize on my wedges and Standard +1 on my irons.

Haven't tried it but don't think undersize would work with my old not working so great anymore fingers...

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

12 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

In this case unintentionally went the other direction... CPO made a rare mistake and put a Midsize grip on a driver I'd ordered instead of a Regular...

It's still on there - for now - as I wanted to try it out; for example I like Midsize on my wedges and Standard +1 on my irons.

Haven't tried it but don't think undersize would work with my old not working so great anymore fingers...

I think I am going to order a couple different sizes to try.  

Have you hit the Paradym yet? If so how does it feel?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSi3 9* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

Fairways: :cobra-small: Aerojet Max 3W & 7W MCA Kai'Li White 60 Stiff

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :cobra-small: Snakebite Black 52/56/60 Hi-Rev 2.0 Black Stiff

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour X :titleist-small: ProV1x

#LeftyGang

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

Unofficial FootJoy Hyperflex BOA 2023 Review

Unofficial Flightscope Mevo Review

4 minutes ago, Jnoble89 said:

Have you hit the Paradym yet? If so how does it feel?

I got to hit just a few but hadnt really done a proper warm up and hit. 

Flight was really good.  It def has a different sound than the PXG or even the Titleist.  

• 3 weeks later...

Ok.... here is where I am currently at.

I have taken a few lessons but feel I am not quite sure my coach and I are a good match.  I know what I am doing wrong but having trouble figuring out how to correct the issue.

My ball strikes are hitting in the right spot on the face about 85% of the time.  What I am struggling with is releasing the clubface.  

So, for anyone following along, who has some drills they could suggest for practice?

43 minutes ago, Josh Parker said:

Ok.... here is where I am currently at.

I have taken a few lessons but feel I am not quite sure my coach and I are a good match.  I know what I am doing wrong but having trouble figuring out how to correct the issue.

My ball strikes are hitting in the right spot on the face about 85% of the time.  What I am struggling with is releasing the clubface.  

So, for anyone following along, who has some drills they could suggest for practice?

Would need to see a swing to see what’s happening. More than likely there is a flaw and a resulting compensation that is preventing the proper release and a guess would be not shallowing the club but still pretty steep seing similar to posted earlier in the thread 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

1 minute ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Would need to see a swing to see what’s happening. More than likely there is a flaw and a resulting compensation that is preventing the proper release and a guess would be not shallowing the club but still pretty steep seing similar to posted earlier in the thread 

I'll take some video tomorrow at the range. 

30 minutes ago, Josh Parker said:

I'll take some video tomorrow at the range. 

Get a face on and a down the line. Camera for face on should be in the middle of the stance and the camera pointing at the hands. For down the line also at hand height and make sure it’s pointing down the handline and not the target line or somewhere between hands and target.

what has your instructor been having you work on?

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

7 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Get a face on and a down the line. Camera for face on should be in the middle of the stance and the camera pointing at the hands. For down the line also at hand height and make sure it’s pointing down the handline and not the target line or somewhere between hands and target.

what has your instructor been having you work on?

I'll make sure I get some good videos.

That's kind of the issue I'm having with him.  He has really only said feel like you are swinging towards left field.  There really hasn't been any direct slow down of the swing or you are coming over the top.  I know I can get steep.  

He has also said act like you are doing a figure 8.

It's been the weakest part of my game for years.  

9 minutes ago, Josh Parker said:

I'll make sure I get some good videos.

That's kind of the issue I'm having with him.  He has really only said feel like you are swinging towards left field.  There really hasn't been any direct slow down of the swing or you are coming over the top.  I know I can get steep.  

He has also said act like you are doing a figure 8.

It's been the weakest part of my game for years.  

Swinging to left field is as bad for a lefty as swing to right field for a righty. It tends to cause to far of an in to pout path and that brings a two way miss into play. 

ill wait to see the swings from tomorrow but I suspect a lot of what you were doing in the swing posted earlier is still happening. 

Swinging to left field is as bad for a lefty as swing to right field for a righty. It tends to cause to far of an in to pout path and that brings a two way miss into play. 

ill wait to see the swings from tomorrow but I suspect a lot of what you were doing in the swing posted earlier is still happening. 

I appreciate it!  

I would say most likely you are correct.  I feel like I have gotten rid of some of the sway/movement but still probably coming in steep 

36 minutes ago, Josh Parker said:

I appreciate it!  

I would say most likely you are correct.  I feel like I have gotten rid of some of the sway/movement but still probably coming in steep 

The sway is one of the big things. 

Great posts here.It’s amazing how we all have different feels or intentions in this game.I’ve basically been taught a high hook/draw swing the past few seasons.For older guys knowing the face is already squared without doing it makes it a bunch easier.But if I get lackadaisical it is left.But on 3/4 courses I play.. left isn’t that bad.The rights are a killer.

45 minutes ago, Josh Parker said:

A lot of your issues stem from bad fundamentals. Your ball position is too far forward(pic 1). The ball should be off your right arm pit or somewhere between your right ear and right shoulder.

The next issue is your grip. Your hands are fighting each other. Your right hand is too weak and your left hand too strong. My guess is you are holding the club in your right palm and not your fingers (pic2). Should be able to see 2-3 knuckles on your right hand and your left hand more on the side of the grip. 

In your swing you roll the club inside and behind you early which causes you to be flat in your swing real noticeable from  dtl. (Pics 3&4). Your grip probably makes it even worse 

because of this you don’t rotate the hips properly and have a false turn caused by the right hip going forward and overswinging. Because of where the club is in the takeaway you suffer from what many amateurs who do this do and that’s overswinging of the arms and the body (pic 5). There’s not enough time in the swing for you to recover from where you are in the backswing 

you then use the upper body to start the swing and get steep and have no room for the club to go so it gets outside the ball and you will have pulls or or get the ball starting right and moving left. (Pics 6&7)

IMG_6901.jpeg

IMG_6902.jpeg

IMG_6904.jpeg

IMG_6905.jpeg

IMG_6906.jpeg

IMG_6907.jpeg

IMG_6908.jpeg

Edited by RickyBobby_PR

The instructor you were going to should have identified all of this and not just told you to feel like swinging to left field.

i would find a better instructor either I person or online.

24 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

A lot of your issues stem from bad fundamentals. Your ball position is too far forward(pic 1). The ball should be off your right arm pit or somewhere between your right ear and right shoulder.

The next issue is your grip. Your hands are fighting each other. Your right hand is too weak and your left hand too strong. My guess is you are holding the club in your right palm and not your fingers (pic2). Should be able to see 2-3 knuckles on your right hand and your left hand more on the side of the grip. 

In your swing you roll the club inside and behind you early which causes you to be flat in your swing real noticeable from  dtl. (Pics 3&4). Your grip probably makes it even worse 

because of this you don’t rotate the hips properly and have a false turn caused by the right hip going forward and overswinging. Because of where the club is in the takeaway you suffer from what many amateurs who do this do and that’s overswinging of the arms and the body (pic 5). There’s not enough time in the swing for you to recover from where you are in the backswing 

you then use the upper body to start the swing and get steep and have no room for the club to go so it gets outside the ball and you will have pulls or or get the ball starting right and moving left. (Pics 6&7)

IMG_6901.jpeg

IMG_6902.jpeg

IMG_6904.jpeg

IMG_6905.jpeg

IMG_6906.jpeg

IMG_6907.jpeg

IMG_6908.jpeg

Appreciate this. 

27 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

The instructor you were going to should have identified all of this and not just told you to feel like swinging to left field.

i would find a better instructor either I person or online.

This was kind of my feeling after two sessions. I felt like I wasn't getting any real direction or correction.  

I never took lessons before and know I have some habits to break.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/17/2023 at 11:13 AM, Josh Parker said:

I had my driver lesson with my local pro and things went really well this morning.  I made a few changes to my club from what I was fitted with by PXG.  They had my weights to promote a draw which was causing my swing to actually hold on to the club which left the face open causing this big pull fade constantly.  I switched the heavier weight to the back of the club to balance it out.  I put the setting to standard instead of slightly closed and shot after shot was hitting dead straight.  My misses became just a dead pull from being too quick with my upper body.  

My coach is happy with my setup and alignment.  Happy with most swings and told me continue to feel like I'm swinging down the line.  I am looking forward to getting on the course to replicate what I saw today.  

Interesting that the weights and the settings that promoted a draw actually did the opposite for you. Trying to wrap my head around that for myself haha

image.png.04da3f72ef9e45c374a6ced580ad076e.png Driver: Aerojet LS (9.0)

image.png.47d8335a6ed74f5ce323f36dde1e64f5.pngBRNR Mini Driver (13.5)

default_callaway-small.jpg.4e22e166ebf0a736dfc257554f147efe.jpg Ai Smoke Max 5 Wood (18) or Apex X Forged Utility 2 iron (18)

default_callaway-small.jpg.4e22e166ebf0a736dfc257554f147efe.jpg Apex X Forged CB (4-6)

image.png.04da3f72ef9e45c374a6ced580ad076e.png Rickie Fowler MB (7-PW)

default_vokey-small.gif.7343a5ce0d53f6f6b215377d00e5563f.gif Wedges: 52|08F , 56|12D , 60|10S , SM9 Jet Black

photo-203973.jpg.72b2eb1ed527f5bfef6c6f39d952c2f0.jpg Putter: 2015 Queen B 6

Ball: Still Searching for My Perfect Gamer

Previously Tested: BirdieBall 2-In-1 Putting/Hitting Mat