Newton Golf Shafts - new technology or marketing hyperbole?

tony@CIC

Saw the ad for Newton golf shafts this week during the Hero PGA event. The technology is intriguing - especially how they categorize their shaft flexes. I didn't see a lot of shaft spec info, including shaft weight. Your thoughts? 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

3 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

Saw the ad for Newton golf shafts this week during the Hero PGA event. The technology is intriguing - especially how they categorize their shaft flexes. I didn't see a lot of shaft spec info, including shaft weight. Your thoughts? 

I know it is officially Newton, but the discussion started under Sacks Parente since they are; I guess, the parent company for Newton. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

4 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

I pulled the trigger on one. I'll share my findings after I get it and test it out. 

Also going to have a call with SP and their main guy with Newton shafts to get some more info to share with all. 

Very interested in hearing more once you get it. 

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

2 hours ago, cnosil said:

I know it is officially Newton, but the discussion started under Sacks Parente since they are; I guess, the parent company for Newton. 

Somehow I missed this. They have an interesting line of putters. But like Newton, there are some missing elements in their putter specs, like loft and in the case of Newton, shaft weight. 

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

9 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

Somehow I missed this. They have an interesting line of putters. But like Newton, there are some missing elements in their putter specs, like loft and in the case of Newton, shaft weight. 

Interesting you mention loft. Sam from LAB had some great things to say on loft  in our community call. Basically in putters it was significantly overblown. 

I will ask about weight when I chat with them. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

16 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

image.png

Scratch that the info is right there

https://newtonshafts.com/products/motion-driver-shaft

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

8 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Interesting you mention loft. Sam from LAB had some great things to say on loft  in our community call. Basically in putters it was significantly overblown. 

I will ask about weight when I chat with them. 

so Sam is saying loft is overblown. I have always thought that loft on a putter helps get the ball "on top" of the green complexes, be that what it may, right away so the ball can roll not skid, that intrigues me, I will have to dig into that a bit more, I have always wondered if the best players in the world adjust their loft on their putters for different styles of grass, Poa, bermuda, fescue, etc. so they don't have to adjust their stroke. 

committed to performance excellence

3 minutes ago, Jim Shaw said:

so Sam is saying loft is overblown. I have always thought that loft on a putter helps get the ball "on top" of the green complexes, be that what it may, right away so the ball can roll not skid, that intrigues me, I will have to dig into that a bit more, I have always wondered if the best players in the world adjust their loft on their putters for different styles of grass, Poa, bermuda, fescue, etc. so they don't have to adjust their stroke. 

Not to get off track, but there needs to be loft obviously, but differences in loft for putters are overblown. 

Head over the community call thread, in the red box there will be a LAB Community Call link. Check it out and give it a listen as I don't want to mislead what he was actually saying. 

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

9 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Not to get off track, but there needs to be loft obviously, but differences in loft for putters are overblown. 

Head over the community call thread, in the red box there will be a LAB Community Call link. Check it out and give it a listen as I don't want to mislead what he was actually saying. 

not off track at all, thanks....

4 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

Puzzled by your statement about their putters specs not having loft.    All of them are standard at 3* and they say:  NON-STANDARD loft / lie are provided at no charge where possible.  As an example, the specs for the mallets are listed here: https://sacksparente.com/mallets

4 hours ago, Jim Shaw said:

I have always thought that loft on a putter helps get the ball "on top" of the green complexes, be that what it may, right away so the ball can roll not skid, that intrigues me, I will have to dig into that a bit more, I have always wondered if the best players in the world adjust their loft on their putters for different styles of grass, Poa, bermuda, fescue, etc. so they don't have to adjust their stroke. 

Yes, putters need loft to lift the ball out of the depression they sit in on the green.  Loft is also a factor based on your attack angle.  Also,   all balls "skid"; friction will start the ball rolling forward as soon as it hits the ground but will continue to skid for a period of time before pure roll.   You can read more about the 4 phase of a putt here:  https://www.paulhurrion.com/media/entering-the-drop-zone/.    No,  most professionals don't adjust the loft on their putters for different types of grass and they don't adjust their stroke other dialing in stroke length for speed, but their green speeds are pretty consistent.  This is why they practice their putting on the putting green prior to the tournament and their rounds.    I personally disagree with LAB that loft isn't important; just like I am not a huge believer the zero torque is all that big of a thing.  

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I'll be interested in hearing your thoughts.  I saw this the other day and thought the same thing.  Hype or marketing?  

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5* 

Driving Iron:   :titleist-small: U500 17* :Fuji:  Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   :titleist-small: T350 4 & 5, T200 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges    :vokey-small: SM9 48*, SM9 52*, SM8 56* Modus Tour Wedge 

Putter    :cameron-small: Newport 2 w/ Garsen Ultimate grip 

Ball    :titleist-small:  *ProV1 Left Dot

2 hours ago, cnosil said:

Puzzled by your statement about their putters specs not having loft.    All of them are standard at 3* and they say:  NON-STANDARD loft / lie are provided at no charge where possible.  As an example, the specs for the mallets are listed here: https://sacksparente.com/mallets

Yes, putters need loft to lift the ball out of the depression they sit in on the green.  Loft is also a factor based on your attack angle.  Also,   all balls "skid"; friction will start the ball rolling forward as soon as it hits the ground but will continue to skid for a period of time before pure roll.   You can read more about the 4 phase of a putt here:  https://www.paulhurrion.com/media/entering-the-drop-zone/.    No,  most professionals don't adjust the loft on their putters for different types of grass and they don't adjust their stroke other dialing in stroke length for speed, but their green speeds are pretty consistent.  This is why they practice their putting on the putting green prior to the tournament and their rounds.    I personally disagree with LAB that loft isn't important; just like I am not a huge believer the zero torque is all that big of a thing.  

thanks @cnosil, I agree that green speeds, in general are consistent however green complexes are very different. Normally where you grow up and learn the game is where you are the best at putting ie. if you grow up on the west coast you putt better on Poana, if you grow up on the east coast on bent you putt better on bent and if you grow up on the coast playing links courses you are really good on fescue, the thing that gets me is the "greats" are good on all surfaces. Blows me away actually... Now Agusta National has always had faster greens than the week to week everyday tournaments and that is an advantage to the Masters, but now with more scientific agronomy and new grasses being grown every year all areas of the country can emulate greens as fast as they want. Of course most courses don't want anything over 11 because the everyday golfer would be 4 putting and slow down the round. 

On 12/3/2023 at 4:38 PM, cnosil said:

My bad - I'm going to have to wear my eyeglasses more often. 

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

On 12/3/2023 at 11:45 AM, GolfSpy_APH said:

image.png

Scratch that the info is right there

https://newtonshafts.com/products/motion-driver-shaft

Thanks - that's interesting and even more compelling since after trying several different shafts over the years, I've ended up with 49g & 6.5 t shaft. Yes I know there's more to shaft specs than that - but it's still a good reference point. Looks like I know what my next big golf purchase may be. 

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

• 2 weeks later...

I see John Daley has a 6 dot in his driver. Wonder if he'll be using it this weekend. 

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

13 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

I see John Daley has a 6 dot in his driver. Wonder if he'll be using it this weekend. 

Yup I believe he is. 

Still waiting on mine to arrive, but very excited to get it installed so I see what the fuss is all about!

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

13 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

Changing topics a little…..JD is also playing Sub70 clubs.   

7 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Yup I believe he is. 

Still waiting on mine to arrive, but very excited to get it installed so I see what the fuss is all about!

A 6 dot 😱

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

Yup I believe he is. 

Can't wait to see what you think!  I have been very tempted to purchase.  

8 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

There's more than a couple of us eagerly awaiting your thoughts!!

:cobra-small: Dark Speed X Driver w/ :Fuji: Motore X F35R shaft, :srixon-small: ZX 5 Wood & 7 Wood w/Evenflow Riptide 5.5 shaft, :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi 24 deg Hybrid Iron, :mizuno-small: JPX919 Hot Metal 5-GW w/Project X LZ 5.5 shafts, :titleist-small: SM9 54D & 58M deg wedges, :odyssey-small: Sabertooth White Ice, :titleist-small: -Pro V1X (preferred) or :maxfli: Tour X ball, :ShotScope: X5 Watch, Nikon Laser 500 range finder.

Just now, MIgregb said:

There's more than a couple of us eagerly awaiting your thoughts!!

As soon as I have it in hand there will be photos and first impressions!

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

9 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Jamie,

I sent them a note basically saying that my Fuji Speeder NX R Flex has a similar profile to their 2 dot - what's the difference or benefit of the Newton. Here's their response:

"Thank you for your interest in our Newton driver shafts.   The key to our shaft is the elongated bend profile.  Think of it as a long bow versus a short bow; so our shaft allows you to store more potential energy and release the energy with less effort than other shafts. It is really a great feeling to feel like you are not having to work so hard to get a great ball flight."

Not very technical or detailed so I'll wait for your "unofficial" test. 

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

I went to MGS HQ today and saw the Newton shaft but didn't get an opportunity to hit it.  We did talk about it some;  will be interested in hearing your thoughts @GolfSpy_APH

9 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I went to MGS HQ today and saw the Newton shaft but didn't get an opportunity to hit it.  We did talk about it some;  will be interested in hearing your thoughts @GolfSpy_APH

It is super interesting to me.  

14 minutes ago, Josh Parker said:

It is super interesting to me.  

The report I got was high spinning and wide left to right dispersion.   

25 minutes ago, cnosil said:

The report I got was high spinning and wide left to right dispersion.   

Hmm... originally I thought maybe an autoflex type of shaft.  Weights are heavier but the build description made it sound similar. 

Sounds like it may be slightly whippy and not as stable. 

18 hours ago, Josh Parker said:

Sounds like it may be slightly whippy and not as stable. 

That sounds like a Helium Light 3 wood shaft that I mothballed a couple of years ago. I replaced it with a Riptide CB - with much better results. BTW on my earlier comment that Daley has it on his driver, he also put it on his 3 wood as well - but I believe that one is a 5 dot.  I'm still interested in the results from either HQ or Jamie. 

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

56 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

I'm still interested in the results from either HQ or Jamie. 

Probably won't hear much from HQ for a while based on the information I was provided yesterday.  

35 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Probably won't hear much from HQ for a while based on the information I was provided yesterday.  

Figured you'd be first in line to test it at HQ

Left Hand orientation