Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

What do you do with your old clubs after you get new ones?

What do you do with your old clubs after you get new ones? Do you keep them? Put them in a "retired" bag in the office or den? Sell them and put that money towards your new set?

Me personally I don't know what to do, my current set is my first set that really got me into golf and passionate about the sport again so I feel a weird attachment to them and don't want to let them go. But then again its money I could put towards a new set when I go get fitted. Am I alone or do you do the same? Curious to see everyone's thoughts.

Edited by IAGolfDad
Additional thoughts

:Ogio: 2020 Convoy SE Cart Bag
:callaway-small: Mavrik Driver, 3W, 4H
:PXG: 0311 P Gen 2 5-PW
:callaway-small: MD3 S Grind 54, 58
:odyssey-small: White Hot Versa Double Wide
Maxfli Tour X Ball

I have my first set of irons from when I started golfing - MacGregor Muirfields, my dad's old persimmon MacGregor driver, and a Bullseye putter. My plan is to build a display cabinet for this set at some point. 

Otherwise, I never get rid of a putter, but everything else finds its way to eBay.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

24 minutes ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

I have my first set of irons from when I started golfing - MacGregor Muirfields, my dad's old persimmon MacGregor driver, and a Bullseye putter. My plan is to build a display cabinet for this set at some point. 

Otherwise, I never get rid of a putter, but everything else finds its way to eBay.

I like this idea! I have my first putter that I hope to eventually add to and build a collection over the years to display in my office.

Maxfli Tour X Ball

If I'm upgrading, I will typically just sell the current item and use those funds for the new items. I still have my first two putters and first fairway wood, but anything like irons, drivers, or wedges I will usually sell unless they have some sentimental value. I also tend to hoard putters if a new one ever makes its way into my hands. 

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

8 minutes ago, barney_bogey said:

My stepson wants to get into golf so he gets them. It was a selling point when I told the wife I wanted new sticks. If not for that, they'd be on Facebook marketplace right now.

B

That definitely helps! I feel like if I tell my wife Im selling my old clubs it will make the conversation easier for the new clubs 😂

Maxfli Tour X Ball

That definitely helps! I feel like if I tell my wife Im selling my old clubs it will make the conversation easier for the new clubs 
I'll tell you what really made it easy! I showed her the T200 prices and the P790 prices. When I decided on the Takomos, she saw the price and thought it a steal.

Jokes on her, the difference goes to wedges and lessons.

Odyssey XG #9

Cleveland CG15 wedges 54/58

Takomo 101 irons PW-4

Rescue hybrid 3 

M6 3W & Driver

Bridgestone e12 

9 minutes ago, TSauer said:

If I'm upgrading, I will typically just sell the current item and use those funds for the new items. I still have my first two putters and first fairway wood, but anything like irons, drivers, or wedges I will usually sell unless they have some sentimental value. I also tend to hoard putters if a new one ever makes its way into my hands. 

I think thats the way Im going to have to go. Especially with the prices of new clubs now a days and I should still be able to get a decent return on my old PXGs considering I got them for $200 on marketplace cause a guy just didnt like them after a few rounds.

Maxfli Tour X Ball

2 hours ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

My aunt has my Spaulding Tour Editions from the early 90’s. Steel shafted Burner tour preferred 5 wood is at my in-laws condo in Florida and gets broken out every spring break, and I also have my bullseye still. Heavy Flange was the model my dad gave me and I still use it once in a while when the mood strikes me 

I’ve got a bad reeling about this

I keep a backup/ travel bag. When I replace something in my gamer bag that goes in my backup bag and whatever gets knocked out of the backup bag gets traded in.

D- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

Hybrid- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699 U  21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges- Sub 70 286 50+54, Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree 

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach soft # 11

Ball- Titleist Tour Soft

My first was a set of Ram's I bought when I was on my first assignment after getting commissioned.  I gave that set to my step son. Next set I gave to my nephew. I have a back up set for travel and my gamers. At my age not sure it is worth buying a new set. If I need to get rid of any I've been donating to 1st Tee or other local junior golf groups.

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet

I am a gifter. I will usually hold on to my current and the set that was before it. If a new set comes in then my son (22) gets set 3 and his set goes to my daughter (20). She is an athlete, on the taller side and plays men’s clubs. Her old set usually gets donated to someone looking to get into golf. 
I have probably given away 6 or 7 sets over the years. 
Clubs depreciate so quickly that it’s usually not worth trying to sell them. I rather give them to someone less fortunate.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

Same @Tom the Golf Nut - I’ve got friends and family that are starting to learn the game, so I’m usually giving away any extra clubs to them.  My dad did the same for me - in fact, I never bought a club until 2021 😳

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge/Testing Bag (Link Here)

Driver: image.png.ca83f4e6716da9276cf90826f633daca.png Paradym with Ventus TR Blue 60 Stiff

Fairways:  image.png.c4f821ba6925e5e146c31600685bf103.png Aerojet Max 3W & 7W with Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 70 Stiff

Hybrid:  image.png.c21137d282a252fb544e47aceb520176.png King TEC 5H with KBS PGI 95 Stiff

Irons:  image.png.6621a18e06b1717c1f774c4a561fd7d8.png Forged TEC 5-GW with KBS Tour Lite Stiff

Wedges:  image.png.ca83f4e6716da9276cf90826f633daca.png Jaws Raw Plasma 54 & 58

Putter:  image.png.c8e6824d2c38fa85d20ca21913fbb2b1.pngPhantom X 5.5

Ball: 2023 Maxfli Tour

Other Reviews:

Callaway Paradym

Titleist White Box Testing (2023)

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

The set that I’m currently using is my third set. I still have my first set and traded my second set in towards the current ones. Assuming that there are no emotional attachments to a set of clubs, selling or trading them in seems logical. Although, I do like the way that @Tom the Golf Nut approaches past sets. That’s a cool idea. 

:titleist-small: TSi3 10° w/ Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 65g

:titleist-small: TS2 15° 3W w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 70g

:titleist-small: 818 H1 21° Hybrid w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 70g

:mizuno-small: MP-18 MMC 2 iron w/ KBS Tour C-Taper S 120g

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 HM 5-GW w/ Project X LZ 5.5 115g

:Sub70: JB Forged 54° & 58° w/ Project X LZ 6.0 120g

:EVNROLL: EV5.3 Black

I trade mine in every time. Other than some wedges that fit different gaps, I don't have any spares. 

Currently I have an old 3 wood that I would give to someone because it's trade value is $15, I have a set of wedges and a couple driver shafts that I was trying out and plan to sell soon. 

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

Give them to the pro at my club to be given to a coach or a kid on the high school teams who may need them. Have two high schools that practice at our course and though I complain about them beating up the range there is always a kid I’m sure can use something they otherwise can’t afford. 

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

It depends on the situation. I've given a few older wedges to friends just getting into golf. Donated some to First Tee where I volunteer. And then also trade them in when I get a new club. 

Driver: Ping G430 Max 10K 9º | Ping Tour 2.0 Black 75S

Fairway Wood: Ping G430 Max 3W 15º | Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 75S

Hybrids: Ping G425 Max 3H 19º | Tensei Orange 80S & Ping 4i iCrossover 22.5° | Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S

Irons: Mizuno JPX921 Forged (5-GW) | Dynamic Gold 120 S300

Wedges: Ping s159 54º & 58º | PING Z-Z115

Putter: TaylorMade Spider Tour

Ball: ProV1x

I almost always sell or trade in whatever I am replacing to help fund the new purchace.  

Driver: :taylormade-small: QI10 Max
Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3HL
Fairway: :ping-small: G425 Max 9 Wood
Hybrid: :PXG: 0317 5 & 6 Hybrids

Irons: :srixon-small: ZX4 7-AW
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50° 54° & 58°
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:
 Array F-3 
Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour Yellow

1 hour ago, Parshooter36 said:

I almost always sell or trade in whatever I am replacing to help fund the new purchace.  

@Parshooter36 do you trade in locally or use an online store like 2ndswing? 

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

3W: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

4H: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2

Irons 4I-9I:  :titleist-small: T200

Wedges P, 48: :titleist-small: T200

Wedges 54, 58: :titleist-small: Vokey SM9

Putter:  :odyssey-small: O Works #1 Black

1 hour ago, Hacker60521 said:

@Parshooter36 do you trade in locally or use an online store like 2ndswing? 

I have traded in to 2nd Swing and Global Golf.  I try and wait till they run a promotion where they give you a bonus percentage on your trade.  Otherwise, the trade in values can be very low.  

Driver: :taylormade-small: QI10 Max
Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3HL
Fairway: :ping-small: G425 Max 9 Wood
Hybrid: :PXG: 0317 5 & 6 Hybrids

Irons: :srixon-small: ZX4 7-AW
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50° 54° & 58°
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:
 Array F-3 
Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour Yellow

I keep 2 sets so I have a set for friends that come to visit if they don’t want to travel with their clubs. When I get a new set, 1 set is sold to someone in a group I play with  or sold on FB Marketplace

Edited by Emag315
Spelling

Safest place on a course is on the green!

I tend to keep a set of regular and senior irons and woods for when people come down to visit, want to play golf but don't want to bring their clubs.  I have my original set of original Ping Eye2 irons (square grooves and all 1 iron through lob wedge with a Be Cu sand wedge) that I keep for sentimental reasons.  I guess the same can be said about the original Callaway Big Bertha driver I have too (it seems so small by today's standards).   

I typically don't get rid of my putters.  I always tell my putter in play that they always could be replaced.  With having eight around, it knows I'm serious. 

Other than the above, I give clubs to people who want to learn to play.  

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  
On 2/1/2024 at 7:48 PM, Dweed said:

My first was a set of Ram's I bought when I was on my first assignment after getting commissioned.  I gave that set to my step son. Next set I gave to my nephew. I have a back up set for travel and my gamers. At my age not sure it is worth buying a new set. If I need to get rid of any I've been donating to 1st Tee or other local junior golf groups.

Excellent. If you like working with your hands, you may like refurbishing clubs. I buy/ refurb/donate to 1st tee/ local tournaments. Its' a win/win for golf.

+1 on clubs depreciating faster than a new car. 

When I was shopping for new clubs  4 years ago, I asked about how much the shop would offer me for trading in my old set.  I was insulted by a ridiculously low number, so much so, that I just walked out of the shop.  As I told the manager, I'd rather donate my clubs to a good cause than to you.  So they went to a local program, which is similar to First Tee in that it's goal is to open up the game of golf to kids that otherwise would not be able to afford their own clubs.  I also tried to sell some newer clubs here in the MGS forum, but didn't get a single reply in a couple of weeks.  Those also got donated.

Edited by Bluesman57

:ping-small: G430 Max HL Max Driver

:ping-small: G430 Max HL 5- and 7-Woods

:ping-small: G430 Max  HL 4-Hybrid

:titleist-small: T300 6-GW Irons

:ping-small: Glide 3.0 52 and 58 degree Wedges

:titleist-small: Vokey SM9 56 degree Sand Wedge

:bettinardi-small: BB-8W Putter

:titleist-small: ProV1x Balls

Semper ubi, sub ubi.

I would have liked to donate them to the local school, but they're just too old to be of much use, so probably one of the places that buy used clubs.

LEFTHANDED

Titleist TSR1 Driver

Titleist TSR1 23 and 26 degree hybrid

Titleist T200 Irons (7-GW)

Cleveland RTX-7 Wedges (52, 56, 60)

Odessey 1.5 putter

Bridgeston Tour BRX-S, Srixon Q-Star Tour

I am typically a sell/trade to fund a new purchase.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

It depends on the club. I tend to give my son first dibs on pretty much everything that's leaving my bag. If it's a club that I've had success with, I'll hold onto it in my backup bag in case things go sideways with the newer club. If it's a club I'm replacing because I've found much better performance with it's replacement, it's usually sold or traded in. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Really depends, but it varies between keeping or selling. Depends on the club but there are several that I just keep to keep. I like golf clubs and some of the nostalgia or history with some of them. I have a bunch of Nike golf clubs back in Canada still.  

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)