Why is it so hard to just find driver heads without a shaft?

This is my first time posting a topic on here.  
I am wondering why it is so hard to just by a driver head and not have the shaft included?  I’m looking for a new Ping G425/430 Max head to replace my Ping G425 SFT that I’m currently swinging.  I have the shaft that I love and just need a new head, but do not want to buy a full set up.  
Any info on this would be greatly appreciated. Tyler

Driver- Ping G425 SFT set at 9deg, Even Flow Project X 6.0-S 65g shaft cut 1/2 inch shorter

2 Hybrid- Ping G425 

3 Hybrid- Cleveland Launcher HB

4-PW- Mizuno JPK 921 HM

GW- Cleveland CBX

SW- Cleveland RTX-3

LW- Taylormade RAC Bkack

Putter- Odessey DFX #7

Ball- Taylormade Tour Response/Striped 

7 minutes ago, TElmore said:

This is my first time posting a topic on here.  
I am wondering why it is so hard to just by a driver head and not have the shaft included?  I’m looking for a new Ping G425/430 Max head to replace my Ping G425 SFT that I’m currently swinging.  I have the shaft that I love and just need a new head, but do not want to buy a full set up.  
Any info on this would be greatly appreciated. Tyler

OEMS sell the complete club and most people want to buy a complete club.   With enough searching on personal resale sites you can often find head only sales.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

If you want head only you need to find an independent club maker who sells clubs and buy try to buy the head only.

Oems don’t offer head only and probably never will. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Your best bet is eBay or some of the Facebook BST groups.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

First welcome! And thanks for posting! 

Some of the above answer the question - there are a few sites that do this. eBay/Facebook and some second hand sites like clubs4cash, golfbidder, second swing and a few others may have some head only.

As for why? Likely more you are in a slightly unique situation where you have the shaft you love and only need a head. Most ppl in general need the whole setup. 

The other part is cost - when I have seen heads alone or even single irons the discount isn't that much - maybe a slight bit, but when I look at what I could get for the shaft even if it's $50 it works out to more of a discount and I get my club head I was looking for. 

More ppl are generally looking for shafts vs heads so it's also normally a pretty easy sell.

Welcome once again and good question and I am sure you are not the only one wondering about this.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

@GolfSpy_APH may I clarify my understanding of your reply here, please? I went for a driver fitting, and discovered that I did much better with a Titleist TSR2 fitted with an Accra iW4 shaft, than my current 915 D2 (a hand-me-down from a generous friend) which has an Aldila Rip'd shaft on it. As a golfer of just six months vintage, it's been great to see that both my carry has gone up and the spread of my shots on the fairway has reduced. However, I cannot justify a new driver and a new shaft for a game that I have only just started. So I have settled for the Accra shaft on my 915 - even in this situation, my average carry has gone from 155 yards to 175 yards, because the Aldila shaft proved to be too heavy for me to use properly. Both the Aldila and Accra are regular flex shafts but the setup with the Accra is 21 grams lighter, and that seems to make a huge difference to my swing. When I started out looking for equipment, everybody talked about flex, but I have found that the weight of the shaft is rather more significant - at least for me. 

I now know from the fitting experience I can do even better with a TSR2. I am interpreting your reply to this thread as meaning that I could pick up any used TSR2 12 degree where the head is in reasonable condition and regardless of what shaft is on it, use my new Accra shaft on it and get the benefit I could see in the fitting studio. Is this correct? Or do I need to pay attention to any other characteristics of a used TSR2 when looking for one?  Or is a new TSR2 fitted to the Accra the only way to ensure I get the right item?

Apologies for the lengthy question. Suffering from newgolferitis...

Edited by Green4Spinach

Titleist 915 D2 - Accra iW4 / Callaway Rogue ST 5FW / Mizuno JPX Fli-Hi 4 and 5 hybrids / Callaway Steelhead XR 5-PW / Ping Glide 4 50 and 56 / Callaway Mack Daddy 2 60 / Odyssey White Hot OG 7 / Mizuno RB566

17 minutes ago, Green4Spinach said:

@GolfSpy_APH may I clarify my understanding of your reply here, please? I went for a driver fitting, and discovered that I did much better with a Titleist TSR2 fitted with an Accra iW4 shaft, than my current 915 D2 (a hand-me-down from a generous friend) which has an Aldila Rip'd shaft on it. As a golfer of just six months vintage, it's been great to see that both my carry has gone up and the spread of my shots on the fairway has reduced. However, I cannot justify a new driver and a new shaft for a game that I have only just started. So I have settled for the Accra shaft on my 915 - even in this situation, my average carry has gone from 155 yards to 175 yards, because the Aldila shaft proved to be too heavy for me to use properly. But I know I can do even better with a TSR2. I am interpreting your reply to this thread as meaning that I could pick up any used TSR2 12 degree where the head is in reasonable condition, and use my new Accra shaft on it and get the benefit I could see in the fitting studio. Is this correct? Or do I need to pay attention to any other characteristics of a used TSR2 when looking for one?  Apologies for the lengthy question. Suffering from newgolferitis...

No need to apologize! 

I would need to check but I do think the 915 and TSR2 use slightly different adapters. You may want to check with your shop to see if they are compatible. 

However yes, for you on your case I would look at going used. The context of being new does change or enlighten things a bit. 

Not say it's wrong, but a new head would have been where I spent my money vs a new shaft. Or going used with the weight profile of the accra. 

The head technology would lead to bigger and better results (in most cases) vs just a new shaft.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

19 minutes ago, Green4Spinach said:

@GolfSpy_APH may I clarify my understanding of your reply here, please? I went for a driver fitting, and discovered that I did much better with a Titleist TSR2 fitted with an Accra iW4 shaft, than my current 915 D2 (a hand-me-down from a generous friend) which has an Aldila Rip'd shaft on it. As a golfer of just six months vintage, it's been great to see that both my carry has gone up and the spread of my shots on the fairway has reduced. However, I cannot justify a new driver and a new shaft for a game that I have only just started. So I have settled for the Accra shaft on my 915 - even in this situation, my average carry has gone from 155 yards to 175 yards, because the Aldila shaft proved to be too heavy for me to use properly. Both the Aldila and Accra are regular flex shafts but the setup with the Accra is 21 grams lighter, and that seems to make a huge difference to my swing. When I started out looking for equipment, everybody talked about flex, but I have found that the weight of the shaft is rather more significant - at least for me. 

I now know from the fitting experience I can do even better with a TSR2. I am interpreting your reply to this thread as meaning that I could pick up any used TSR2 12 degree where the head is in reasonable condition and regardless of what shaft is on it, use my new Accra shaft on it and get the benefit I could see in the fitting studio. Is this correct? Or do I need to pay attention to any other characteristics of a used TSR2 when looking for one?  Or is a new TSR2 fitted to the Accra the only way to ensure I get the right item?

Apologies for the lengthy question. Suffering from newgolferitis...

If the Accra shaft adapter will fit the TSR2 or you can have the adapter changed, just find a "in good" conditioned TSR2 no matter what shaft is in it and make the switch.  What I typically do in that situation is sell the shaft that it came with and make a few dollars back.

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

24 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

No need to apologize! 

I would need to check but I do think the 915 and TSR2 use slightly different adapters. You may want to check with your shop to see if they are compatible. 

However yes, for you on your case I would look at going used. The context of being new does change or enlighten things a bit. 

Not say it's wrong, but a new head would have been where I spent my money vs a new shaft. Or going used with the weight profile of the accra. 

The head technology would lead to bigger and better results (in most cases) vs just a new shaft.

My understanding is that the Titleist adapter fitted to the Accra works on both driver heads. It was always my intention to shift to a new driver and shaft - after all, my wife offered me a fitted driver as a birthday present. I just chose to go on the first-shaft-then-driver journey because I could see an excellent improvement just with the new shaft, plus I figured that when my swing matures, I might revisit the entire purchase of head and shaft, which might feel difficult to do if I had already purchased new kit a short while before. 

I do like your thought process that a new head will deliver even more performance. Looking forward to that. 

Titleist 915 D2 - Accra iW4 / Callaway Rogue ST 5FW / Mizuno JPX Fli-Hi 4 and 5 hybrids / Callaway Steelhead XR 5-PW / Ping Glide 4 50 and 56 / Callaway Mack Daddy 2 60 / Odyssey White Hot OG 7 / Mizuno RB566

28 minutes ago, Josh Parker said:

If the Accra shaft adapter will fit the TSR2 or you can have the adapter changed, just find a "in good" conditioned TSR2 no matter what shaft is in it and make the switch.  What I typically do in that situation is sell the shaft that it came with and make a few dollars back.

Sound advice, Josh. Thanks for the note. 

13 minutes ago, NUTTY2003 said:

Accra very good shaft 👍 the other one to look at may be a club for sale with extra stiff shaft in sometimes you can find a bargain and just take the shaft out  👍

Nice tip, Nutty2003, that an extra stiff shaft might result in a bargain. Will keep that in mind on my search. 

There are quite a lot of differences in the head’s themselves especially on off Center hits TSR2 will be more forgiving. You will find that the Accra shaft being lighter will generate more club head speed in regular you can get from 45 grams upwards loads of options for you good luck 

Check 2nd Swing golf, just type “driver head” in the search box and they have some available as well.

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Stealth 3 wood

Titleist U510 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

3 hours ago, Josh Parker said:

Somebody say Titleist head only????

Screenshot_20240223_200721_Facebook.jpg

WITB

Driver is PING G430 MAX 10K 9° W/VENTUS BLACK 44.5"  TOUR VELVET GRIP

3 WOOD TAYLORMADE M2 15° W/ADDI BB TOUR VELVET GRIP

IRONS PING G410 4 AND 5 IRON W/X100 

IRONS 6-9 PING I200 W/X100 

WEDGES TITLEIST VOKEY SM8 48° CHROME

VOKEY 52°  56° AND 60 ALL IN CHROME FINISH WITH DYNAMIC GOLD AND MCC+4 GRIPS

SCOTTY CAMERON TOUR RAT GSS 350G MATADOR GRIP

SUN MOUNTAIN C-130 CART BAG NIKON LASER 

TITLEIST PRO V 1

If I played Titleist I would buy this as a spare with a headcover for 120??? Bet they would take 100 and I would grab it and ship it if they didn't want to

WITB

TITLEIST PRO V 1

I would love to find a Ping 410 LST head in new or almost new condition. I even emailed Ping hoping they’d have one lying around. 

I could play golf every day and learn something new each time.

Driver: Callaway Paradym TD 9* Driver-5 Dot Newton tipped 45” shaft

Ping 425-6 Dot Newton tipped 45" shaft

TaylorMade 11.5* Mini Driver-5 Dot Newton tipped 44” shaft 

Woods: Ping 425 Max 3-Stiff Steadfast Jupiter 1+ shaft

Hybrid: PXG 0317 17*-Stiff Steadfast Jupiter 1+ shaft

Irons: New Level 4-PW 902PD Irons 6.5 ProjectX IO shafts

Wedges: PXG 311 Gen 3 52-56 Xstiff KBS TourLite shafts

Putter: TaylorMade Truss Heal

PXG Bat Attack

Ping Anser

Ball: OnCore VeroX 

Titleist Pro V1X

Callaway Chrome TourX

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63746-motocaddy-m-series-carts-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1042686

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63748-bridgestone-mindset-golf-ball-testing-sampling-and-shot-scope-ops/?do=findComment&comment=1046248

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62621-forum-member-reviews-callaway-whitebox-testing/?do=findComment&comment=1020558

3 minutes ago, Marlin Dave said:

Somebody say Titleist head only????

Screenshot_20240223_200721_Facebook.jpg

Well hello there beautiful!!! 

PXG Bat Attack

Ping Anser

Titleist Pro V1X

Callaway Chrome TourX

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63746-motocaddy-m-series-carts-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1042686

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63748-bridgestone-mindset-golf-ball-testing-sampling-and-shot-scope-ops/?do=findComment&comment=1046248

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62621-forum-member-reviews-callaway-whitebox-testing/?do=findComment&comment=1020558

2 minutes ago, Marlin Dave said:

If I played Titleist I would buy this as a spare with a headcover for 120??? Bet they would take 100 and I would grab it and ship it if they didn't want to

I think I’d buy it and order a Jupiter 1 shaft for it.

PXG Bat Attack

Ping Anser

Titleist Pro V1X

Callaway Chrome TourX

Another option (instead of a brick & mortar location) is look for "start of season vendor sales and auctions"... not sure if that's a thing in the US, but here in Canada most local associations hold a sale/auction in March where you can find some fantastic deals on both demo heads/clubs as well as shafts.  I was out last year here in Ottawa (Canada) and a good friend picked up some Fujikura Ventus Red 6R Velocore shafts for his driver and hybrids for $100 CAD each.  For context, they retail $350 CAD each...

Driver: Taylormade Qi10 Max (Mitsubishi C6 Blue 60S 2022) chosen as one of the lucky testers of the Autoflex Dream 7 shaft!!!

Hybrids: Taylomade Qi10 3 & 4 Rescue (Ventus TR  HB Blue 6R)

Irons: Taylormade Qi 5-PW (Ventus TR Blue 6R)

Wedges: Cleveland RTx 4 52/56/60 Wedges (True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Tour )

Putter: Cleveland Frontline 10.0

New Gamer Ball: Taylormade 2024  TP5x 

29 minutes ago, Erin B said:

I would love to find a Ping 410 LST head in new or almost new condition. I even emailed Ping hoping they’d have one lying around. 

Why the G410 when you can steal this G425 LST ??? You asketh you recieveth 🤣

Screenshot_20240224_090029_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20240224_090032_Facebook.jpg

WITB

TITLEIST PRO V 1

4 minutes ago, Marlin Dave said:

Why the G410 when you can steal this G425 LST ??? You asketh you recieveth 🤣

Screenshot_20240224_090029_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20240224_090032_Facebook.jpg

I have one. I don’t like it. I’ve never been able to hit it like I can hit the 410. 

image.jpg

PXG Bat Attack

Ping Anser

Titleist Pro V1X

Callaway Chrome TourX

@TElmore as a newbie golfer, you also might try Global Golf which sells both new and 'used' equipment. I've bought a couple of drivers from them that where last year's models at a deep discount. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

1 hour ago, Erin B said:

I have one. I don’t like it. I’ve never been able to hit it like I can hit the 410. 

image.jpg

Here are some other local options

Screenshot_20240224_101546_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20240224_101550_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20240224_101631_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20240224_101641_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20240224_101657_Facebook.jpg

WITB

TITLEIST PRO V 1

10 minutes ago, Marlin Dave said:

Here are some other local options

Screenshot_20240224_101546_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20240224_101550_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20240224_101631_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20240224_101641_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20240224_101657_Facebook.jpg

Where you getting all these drivers? 

PXG Bat Attack

Ping Anser

Titleist Pro V1X

Callaway Chrome TourX

14 minutes ago, Erin B said:

Where you getting all these drivers? 

They are on Marketplace in the Traverse City to Grand Rapids Michigan range

WITB

TITLEIST PRO V 1

17 minutes ago, Marlin Dave said:

They are on Marketplace in the Traverse City to Grand Rapids Michigan range

Oh, I’m too far west

PXG Bat Attack

Ping Anser

Titleist Pro V1X

Callaway Chrome TourX

10 minutes ago, Erin B said:

Oh, I’m too far west

It's just like buying from Ebay you PayPal and they ship it to you it doesn't matter where you live?? I buy stuff from all over the US off Marketplace

WITB

TITLEIST PRO V 1

6 hours ago, Green4Spinach said:

Both the Aldila and Accra are regular flex shafts but the setup with the Accra is 21 grams lighter, and that seems to make a huge difference to my swing. When I started out looking for equipment, everybody talked about flex, but I have found that the weight of the shaft is rather more significant - at least for me. 

No one addressed this for you, but flex is simply a letter painted on a shaft and is only relevant for that shaft.   There is no standardization in golf and a stiff in one  shaft could be a senior or x-stiff in another shaft.    Weight is definitely an important consideration when looking at shafts and makes a difference in most peoples fitting.   While OEMs provide guidelines for handicap, spin, launch, and flex,  you still need to actually try the clubs to make sure that it works for you.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

13 minutes ago, cnosil said:

No one addressed this for you, but flex is simply a letter painted on a shaft and is only relevant for that shaft.   There is no standardization in golf and a stiff in one  shaft could be a senior or x-stiff in another shaft.    Weight is definitely an important consideration when looking at shafts and makes a difference in most peoples fitting.   While OEMs provide guidelines for handicap, spin, launch, and flex,  you still need to actually try the clubs to make sure that it works for you.   

Well said!! As every manufacturer has different guidelines for "stiff" and "reg" but like you said the weight and kickpoints in the shafts vary massively! Some want the flex in the butt of the club others mid or tip I do not understand how anyone could read reviews on a driver and just buy it online without ever hitting it??? So important to get fitted for every club in the bag

WITB

TITLEIST PRO V 1