Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Improving The Product - How to improve the professional game for viewers

GolfSpy_APH

No secret I am an NLU fan and avid viewer/listener. 

How would you improve the product for us as viewers that is sustainable for the PGA Tour? Do you agree with the NLU crew?

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

This pod was fascinating, but I definitely got sick of hearing the word 'product' by the end of it 🤣

The PGA Tour is in a very hard spot but if feels like it's trending in the right direction to me.
They of course have the entrance of LIV to thank because they never would have ventured away from the status quo if it wasn't for such serious competition, but the introduction of the designated events and the new calendar year schedule are great and they need to keep pushing in this direction.

I definitely think a less is more approach is going help to grow the game by really building up the hype for the designated events and the majors, however, the smaller events like last week at The Valspar Championship are also super important to the longevity of professional golf.
They give the lesser known guys time to shine and are vital for continuing to develop the depth of talent the PGA Tour has been known for.

Driver: :cobra-small: Speedzone 9.5 degree (love this club)
Fairway Wood - :callaway-small: Warbird (to be replaced ASAP)
Hybrid - :taylormade-small: SIM2 MAX 19 degree, (not a fan, but getting there)
Irons - :callaway-small: Warbird 4 iron to PW (to be replaced ASAP)
Wedges - :taylormade-small: MG2 50 degree, :mizuno-small: T22 54 degree, :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 58 degree
Putter -  LAB Golf - MEZZ.1 MAX - 2023 MGS TEST
Ball - :bridgestone-small: E6 (stands for 3-putt apparently)

I’m going to give this some thought and watch the podcast before I reapond

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max 9* with Tensei AV Blue 55

PXG 5 and 7 woods with Mitsubishi Diamana Shafts

Mizuno Pro 225 5-GW with Dynamic Gold S300 shafts

Taylormade Hi-Toe 54 and 58 degree wedges

Ping Prime Tyne 4

23 minutes ago, Wheelieb said:

I’m going to give this some thought and watch the podcast before I reapond

Same.  There are going to be quite a few differing opinions on this I think,  and some concurring ones too. 

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

2 hours ago, Splatt said:

This pod was fascinating, but I definitely got sick of hearing the word 'product' by the end of it 🤣

The PGA Tour is in a very hard spot but if feels like it's trending in the right direction to me.
They of course have the entrance of LIV to thank because they never would have ventured away from the status quo if it wasn't for such serious competition, but the introduction of the designated events and the new calendar year schedule are great and they need to keep pushing in this direction.

I definitely think a less is more approach is going help to grow the game by really building up the hype for the designated events and the majors, however, the smaller events like last week at The Valspar Championship are also super important to the longevity of professional golf.
They give the lesser known guys time to shine and are vital for continuing to develop the depth of talent the PGA Tour has been known for.

The Valspar was pretty awesome to watch.  Many in contention right until the end.  The PGAT events have improved since the LIV guys left.  Thanks LIV for spending billions to make the PGAT better.

Considering the tv deals keep getting bigger, advertisers are still spending loads of money because there are viewers watching, I would say it’s fine the way it is.

CBS showed they had an increase in viewership last year. That’s not something you hear about that often 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

1 minute ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Considering the tv deals keep getting bigger, advertisers are still spending loads of money because there are viewers watching, I would say it’s fine the way it is.

CBS showed they had an increase in viewership last year. That’s not something you hear about that often 

Unfortunately all the numbers of viewers this year is down from the previous year. 

At least that is what NLU has reported.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

12 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Unfortunately all the numbers of viewers this year is down from the previous year. 

That fluctuation happens every year. We can see what they are at the end of the year. Some events draw bigger numbers than others. And despite the claim that all the guys who left for liv affect viewership last year showed that’s not the case 

Edited by RickyBobby_PR

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

There is one thing I really want and that is for every major to be covered like The Masters. The ability to watch several different groups through the website or the app pretty much uninterrupted is a game changer. I don't know why this still isn't a thing. Heck, you could even throw some of the more popular tournaments into the mix.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

The Majors will probably still get the same if not more views I imagine, as the sport continues to grow interest. One problem I feel golf has (aside from tour split) is the fact that its a daytime sport, so most people are busy with their lives during the day. If golf shifted to compete in the primetime space, I think viewership would go up. Obviously some adjustments would need to be made, like finding courses with lights, but night golf or some version of it would be cool to see.

KJ

21 minutes ago, TSauer said:

There is one thing I really want and that is for every major to be covered like The Masters. The ability to watch several different groups through the website or the app pretty much uninterrupted is a game changer. I don't know why this still isn't a thing. Heck, you could even throw some of the more popular tournaments into the mix.

I agree with this - the ability to move around to different groups, holes, etc. makes the entire experience more enjoyable, especially on a Thursday or Friday round. I'll even throw in a split screen, or "quad box" option, to watch multiple groups at once. 

I would also love if they "mic'd up" the players more, similar to the NFL. The golfer/caddie conversations are great, and would give the average fan some insight into their thought process and approach to various shots.

WITB:

Driver - :cobra-small: LTDx w/ Mitsubishi Chemicals Kuro Kage 70g Stiff Shaft

3 Wood - :cobra-small: LTDx w/ Mitsubishi Chemicals Tensei 75g Stiff Shaft

Hybrid - :cobra-small: King Tec 18* w/ Mitsubishi Chemicals HY 80g Stiff Shaft

Irons (PW-4 Iron) - :taylormade-small: P790 w/ Oban 115g X-Stiff Shafts

Wedges (50, 54, 58) - :vokey-small: SM9

Putter - :bettinardi-small: Studio Stock 28 Armlock w/ Super Stroke Grip

1 hour ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Numbers for nearly everything on TV are on the declining or fairly stagnant. I mean wrestlings ratings are way down from their peak and their TV deals are massive nowadays.

Driver: Epic Speed TD LS - Ventus Blue TR 6X

3 Wood: Epic Flash SZ

Hybrid: Rogue Hybrid

Irons: Adams Idea Pro A12, DG X100

Wedges: PW - 48 Vokey SM7, 52-60 Kirkland Signature

Putter: Either a Newport 2.0, Spider Tour, Oddysey 7, or an Tony Penna IM style blade

Ball: Rotation of new releases, whatever my toddler forces me to buy, and Kirklands.

There is no Tiger or Jack and Arnie. Even if all the guys that went to LIV were back. Those 3 had the it factor. Look at the NBA. First it was Magic/Bird, then Jordan came along and after that Kobe and LeBron. The NFL has Mahomes and before that Brady and Manning. Right now there is no dominant figure to appreciate their dominance or hate their dominance and hope someone takes them down. Maybe Scheffler has that chance but can he keep it up. Having that compelling figure draws people to a sport. Right now golf doesn’t have that guy.

D- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

Hybrid- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699 U  21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges- Sub 70 286 50+54, Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree 

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach soft # 11

Ball- Titleist Tour Soft

As a viewer what I see wrong with the current system is lack of pro golfer participation. When you can't interest the pros to participate in an event, how are you going to interest viewers like myself who want to watch them play? I don't care about watching LIV, I haven't and will not ever watch the LIV. Personally I don't care who the players are, I want to watch the PGA players play traditional golf, especially the top performers. The problem you have is your top performers are taking too much time away, they pick and choose. They should be required to play at least every other week. Additionally, when watching an event I want to see all of them play, not just the leaders. Using the Masters coverage as the example, they show the early and late tee times, I watch all of it. What I like best is being able to follow groups, not just the leaders. Leaders are fun to watch the final day. 

Driver Ai Smoke Max 9* set at 8*

3 FW Ai Smoke

HW Ai Smoke

Hybrid G430

Irons Callaway Apex 21 Forged CB

Putter Ping Answer 2 PLD

Wedges Titleist Vokey SM9 56M and 60S

Ball, Vice Pro-Plus 

Handicap 6 

3 hours ago, Sonny Beach said:

As a viewer what I see wrong with the current system is lack of pro golfer participation. When you can't interest the pros to participate in an event, how are you going to interest viewers like myself who want to watch them play? I don't care about watching LIV, I haven't and will not ever watch the LIV. Personally I don't care who the players are, I want to watch the PGA players play traditional golf, especially the top performers. The problem you have is your top performers are taking too much time away, they pick and choose. They should be required to play at least every other week. Additionally, when watching an event I want to see all of them play, not just the leaders. Using the Masters coverage as the example, they show the early and late tee times, I watch all of it. What I like best is being able to follow groups, not just the leaders. Leaders are fun to watch the final day. 

This has always been the case. Playing week in and week out on the tour is tough. Just look at the guys who win and how drained they look on Sunday after the round.

It’s the guys who don’t have success that have to grind their way each week to maintain their status.

The top stars have always played 15-25 events a year. They get to pick their schedule based on their status. Some courses are bette suited for certain golfers and those who can pick and choose aren’t going to choose a course that’s not to their strengths

• 2 weeks later...

Some interesting takes.   I would say that I believe the LIV has had an impact.  As a viewer in my late 50's   I enjoyed watching DJ, Koepka, Rahm,  I liked Harold Varner's, story so I would look for him.  So I do watch LIV, because they are players I am interested in.  Presently I don't care for McIlroy, or Scheffler, so unless  Finau, or Fowler, who I still like are on the leaderboard, I pass right by the PGA on TV.

I also believe, IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN, that they need to reduce the number of tournaments.  Golf has become saturated like baseball, and basketball, with too many games being played.   Halfway through the season, half of baseball has been effectively eliminated from making the playoffs, similarly with basketball.  Once an NBA team is securely in the playoffs, then their stars are placed into "load management", and fans don't get to see the visiting teams stars, because they don't play in light of the fact that this regular season game just doesn't matter.  The star is being saved for what matters the playoffs.

I also believe a way to force the more well known players to play, is to eliminate many of the EXEMPTIONS, for keeping ones tour card.  For each major you win, that's a get out of jail free card, for having a crappy year.  Otherwise you had better show up to most events, and grind for points, in our reduced number of event season, because there is no longer, top 10 money winner from 10 years ago, won an event, in the last 3-5 years, etc., etc., etc. to keep your tour card.

And the Fed EX Championship, is a  top 32 for the season winner take all Match play event.    I want whoever wins, to have an equal chance of being beaten, not start the last event with a head start.

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Hybrid:  Callaway Apex Pro 2H 

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 

Putter:  Ping  Scottsdale Wolverine

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

2 hours ago, Stuka44 said:

I also believe a way to force the more well known players to play, is to eliminate many of the EXEMPTIONS, for keeping ones tour card.  For each major you win, that's a get out of jail free card, for having a crappy year.  Otherwise you had better show up to most events, and grind for points, in our reduced number of event season, because there is no longer, top 10 money winner from 10 years ago, won an event, in the last 3-5 years, etc., etc., etc. to keep your tour card.

The problem with this is that it’s hard on the body and mind to play week in and week out on tour. It’s why most don’t play more than 3-5 weeks in a row except for the ones at the bottom of the rankings who have to grind to keep their card.

Pros have to play a minimum of 25 events if they don’t add a new event to their schedule. Thats about 50% of the tournaments and if they fail to meet that including the FedEx playoffs they have issues with the tour.

Pros with exemptions aren’t letting off the gas. There are still rankings which determine the tournament they are allowed in based on who is in the field. So an exemption to the tour doesn’t guarantee entry into an event, also depending on the exemption doesn’t guarantee entry into a major.

Everyone also has to be in the top 125 of FedEx to keep their status. 

The tour isn’t about just the top golfers. There are 200 or so trying to get into an even that’s limited to 156 or less players.

having the superstars in the field every week isn’t good for golf because their performance will dip off after a few weeks and it reduces the number of events the rest of the pros can enter.

Golf is boring especially on tv. That’s why telling stories are needed to break up the broadcast.