Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Golfspy_CG2 NEEDS a new Putter---Help!

24 minutes ago, StrokerAce said:

wow - Exputt looks awesome; I wonder if when you set your putter down, the face closes or opens? also - do you hover the putter or sole it on the turf?

33 putts per round is really good. Fewer than 2 putts per hole is nice.

yeah, generally putting is my strength, and I know we all have our off days, but it just seems since like the end of last year to the beginning of this year, it just hasn't felt right.  Maybe something more consistent time practicing will help regain that feel. 

interesting comment about the face of the putter, my playing partner (superintendent) says he notice that, once I appear set I loosen my grip and regrip it and when I do that he swears he sees the face open at times.   It's something he will mention mid round at times as a reminder and I'll try and be more cognizant of it.   even though most of my putts tend to miss left, so I may be over rotating the face.   But again I'll go back to Sasha's comment on the Proving Grounds that a small 1 degree open or closed in a putter is not going to be the primary reason for a miss.  It was interesting on putts that missed right with an open face, I knew as soon as the putt left the head that I left it open.    And sure enough the data backed it up. 

Yeah, Ex Putt is awesome and this is the first version form like I said 5 years ago or whenever we did the forum test.  it has 4 modes and this mode above is the practice mode, just pick a distance and green speed you can pick from like 7 to 14 and just practice straight putts.  Then the other 3 modes are more of challenges and playing mode.  

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

yeah, generally putting is my strength, and I know we all have our off days, but it just seems since like the end of last year to the beginning of this year, it just hasn't felt right.  Maybe something more consistent time practicing will help regain that feel. 
interesting comment about the face of the putter, my playing partner (superintendent) says he notice that, once I appear set I loosen my grip and regrip it and when I do that he swears he sees the face open at times.   It's something he will mention mid round at times as a reminder and I'll try and be more cognizant of it.   even though most of my putts tend to miss left, so I may be over rotating the face.   But again I'll go back to Sasha's comment on the Proving Grounds that a small 1 degree open or closed in a putter is not going to be the primary reason for a miss.  It was interesting on putts that missed right with an open face, I knew as soon as the putt left the head that I left it open.    And sure enough the data backed it up. 
Yeah, Ex Putt is awesome and this is the first version form like I said 5 years ago or whenever we did the forum test.  it has 4 modes and this mode above is the practice mode, just pick a distance and green speed you can pick from like 7 to 14 and just practice straight putts.  Then the other 3 modes are more of challenges and playing mode.  

It’s time for you to bag a LAB broom partner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I would check out Legendgolfcompany.com.  I recently had a custom putter made by Joe the owner and it has greatly improved my putting stats.  A buddy told me the other day he thinks lm going to make every putt I look at.  Putting has always been the part of my game that was holding me back as a scratch golfer so to hear him say this was very unusual to say the least.  

It’s worth a look and although not brand named, I promise the weight and feel of the putter will rival any of the top brands even Scotty’s. 

Edited by DDGHouse
Spelling correction

@Golfspy_CG2 like @ZackS said, fitting?

PXG, Evnroll, Edel, something agnostic like CC.  I really like my Evnroll.  When I did the full bag at PXG the putter fitting was pretty solid IMO.  They noted a little left side miss but it was very minor.  The Bat Attack was the alternative to my Evnroll, but I didn't see enough of a difference.  

• Driver - Ping G400 9°, Project-X Evenflow Black 6.0S 65 gr. 
  • FW - TM M3 3-wood 15°, Project-X HZRDUS Red 6.0 75 gr. mid-spin
  • Hybrid - TM M4 19°, Project-X Evenflow Black 6.0S 85 gr. HY 
  • Irons - TM P790, 3-PW, Oban CT-115, PXG 311 P Gen 6
  • Wedges - Mizuno T20 Ion blue 52/9 & 56/14, N.S. Pro Modus3 S-flex
  • Putter - Evnroll ER2 Garsen Max grip
  • Getting a grip - oversize Winn DryTacs and Bionic gloves
  • Ball - ProV1, AVX, Maxfli Tour, PXG
  • Bag(s)/cart - Vessel Player III Rovic RV1S and Alphard V2

What are your misses doing ? Are they consistently Left, right, short or long?  Figure that out first, that will help narrow it down. 

Driver Ai Smoke Max 9* set at 8*

3 FW Ai Smoke

HW Ai Smoke

Hybrid G430

Irons Callaway Apex 21 Forged CB

Putter Ping Answer 2 PLD

Wedges Titleist Vokey SM9 56M and 60S

Ball, Vice Pro-Plus 

Handicap 6 

17 hours ago, Peter Andrin said:

A mallet putter has a higher MOI and will give you better distance control on off-centre hits.

Agreed, and actually if you read my post, you'd see all the putters I use are Mallets and Mid Mallets.  So yeah, kind of there already 🙂

Just a bit of an update.   

I put in a lot of work yesterday on the Ex Putt (it was an all-day cold rain and couldn't practice outside) I discovered I wasn't really finishing my follow through on some putts, kind of a decel and once I focused on that for 20 to 30 putts, the 10 footers started dropping. 

Today while the course was closed drying out, the Head Pro and I went out to our putting green for a bit of a putting then pitching contests.  Keeping the finish the follow through in mind, I putted much better with the speed control. I didn't win any money off him, but I was down 10 bucks at one point but won it back on our last challenge.   So that was cool!  He is a +2 after alll and has a killer short game. 

So Maybe I saved myself some $$$ from buying a new putter....For now anyway! 

WAIT! You're not buying a DF3? 

muahahahahaha! Now you can buy it for ME!!!!  

lol. I'm an idiot. It's my defining trait 😉

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees (+1 setting), Oban Devotion TR 65 04
3/5 Wood - Cobra LTDx Max (Blue Colorway)
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

Best recommendation I have is to do a proper fitting. I struggled greatly with my putting for a while. I was primarily in a Newport 1.2/2.5 style blade for many years. I wanted to move into something with a little more stability on imperfect strikes. I went with the Ping PLD Prime Tyne 4. Feels like a blade but has a little more forgiveness. Putted better but not great. 

During one round, the hosel of the putter just so happened to slam into my shoe (may or may not have been related to the prior putt). It bent my putter. I attempted to bend it back (at least to square). Since then, I have had some of my absolute best putting for almost a year at this point. I recently went and got the specs checked out during a full bag fitting. My putter is 3° upright (74°) and 2° of loft. Definitely not off the rack specs but these numbers fit very well for my stroke and I’m making putts more than I ever have. 

This info likely would have been realized if I did a full putter fitting in the first place. 

Ryan Benefield

On 3/27/2024 at 9:09 AM, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Help!! I need putter advice!

I know there will be no shortage of that here especially on one particular brand. But i haven't felt comfortable with a putter in the last 6 months Including the following

Scotty 1.5 Flowback-my gamer for the past 2 years.

Odyssey Ai 1 Rossie a couple rounds

PING Shea-a couple rounds

EVNROLL 11 some good days and some really bad ones!! 

MEZZ Max  was good but not great.  Only a month or so with it.   I didn't miss any short putts inside 3 feet, but I didn't make ANY putts in the 10 foot range and I'm usually good for a couple of those a round. 

Look at these stats yesterday.  Yes, I'll take the shame of publicly posting a 49....I deserve it 🙂 

Granted i played on greens that were aerated 24 hours earlier.  Also the lack of greens hit isn't too alarming. I played tees longer than I normally do  and was into a wind all day.  Par 3’s and 1 par 5 were the only ones i was capable of reaching.   And all just barely missed. Driver was excellent (more on that in my driver shootout thread) and hitting 7 fairways and 23 putts just doesn’t work.  If I had a "decent" day putting I would have shot 43 or 44 and been pretty happy.    Call me the Scottie Scheffler of the Forum 🙂 

Ok so lets hear any and all thoughts

IMG_0546.png

I've always heard it isn't the arrow head, it's the Indian bud.. I'm sure it's just a drought ur going thru and will fix itself soon..I personally wouldn't go throwing money at putter after putter till your sure of the problem, but ur getting this info from someone who 3 putts more than I 1 putt lol 🤷

Bubba Ivy 

6 hours ago, GolfSpy SAM said:

WAIT! You're not buying a DF3? 

muahahahahaha! Now you can buy it for ME!!!!  

lol. I'm an idiot. It's my defining trait 😉

I didn’t say that exactly.   Ha

58 minutes ago, Rbenefield said:

Best recommendation I have is to do a proper fitting. I struggled greatly with my putting for a while. I was primarily in a Newport 1.2/2.5 style blade for many years. I wanted to move into something with a little more stability on imperfect strikes. I went with the Ping PLD Prime Tyne 4. Feels like a blade but has a little more forgiveness. Putted better but not great. 

During one round, the hosel of the putter just so happened to slam into my shoe (may or may not have been related to the prior putt). It bent my putter. I attempted to bend it back (at least to square). Since then, I have had some of my absolute best putting for almost a year at this point. I recently went and got the specs checked out during a full bag fitting. My putter is 3° upright (74°) and 2° of loft. Definitely not off the rack specs but these numbers fit very well for my stroke and I’m making putts more than I ever have. 

This info likely would have been realized if I did a full putter fitting in the first place. 

So your impromptu loft and lie bending woked.   Ha 

I told somone todsy the best i have possibly ever putted was with the Sigma  Tyne 4 i was fit for at PING HQ.   

Im really tempted to go back ro that.  

8 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I told somone todsy the best i have possibly ever putted was with the Sigma  Tyne 4 i was fit for at PING HQ.   

Yea, its been great since. 😂

Ryan Benefield

8 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

It never hurts to rekindle that old magic....it's good to have a fall back like that.  All the good memories.  Maybe take it out a few times and see what happens.  

I switched putters after I got married to a newer model odyssey but same design.  I missed a 3' putt to lose a playoff and switched back to my older one and never turned back, until recently.  But I will keep that old one, just for purposes like you mentioned above.  Sometimes I tinker with the old girl when I am messing with my putting on the putting mat at home.  Just to remind my feels of how it felt.

Matt Dura

Francis Marion University Hall of Fame 2018

default_titelist-small.jpg.035c687f1ee4f222f65826e0f2ccf716.jpg TS4 9.5*, HZRDUS Smoke 60g Low spin driver; PRO V1X

default_taylormade-small.jpg.e5271abefda63fc90c515812858df654.jpg M3 17*HL turned down to 15*, Mitsubishi TENSEI CK Series 65 Stiff

Ben Hogan 17* & 21* EDGE CFT Hybrids

default_ping-small.jpg.4f6644e7b181538ad4356fa5baa9ab06.jpg i200 blue dot, KBS Tour 120 S 4i-PW; Glide 58*/10

default_cleveland-small.jpg.c369c88345deb6bf5d6da562e36c46e9.jpg 50* RTX 588; 54* CG10

LeanLockLogo.jpg.79bf29d6bf78b2208e2a58de63e92193.jpg.c85827f16c4e90eabef5b35daa9e8b47.jpg APA Model 1

ODIN.jpg.36f5f3d3738de8051e6e80e0aec7b2d2.jpg X1

I'm going to a new putter launch on Thursday, April 4th.

Cove Golf in North Vancouver, BC, Canada.

I can give you a review of what I discuss with the guy who designs and mills them.

Interested in a blade or a mallet?

Definitely checking them out for myself, but happy to provide input for everyone else!

Fore!

Mike

Played this wonderful game for 53 years now. Still love it!

Callaway Guy

Rogue driver Reg shaft

Big Bertha 3 Metal

Callaway X-Hot Pro Hybrids 16 and 20 degree

Apex Pro Irons Graphite Shafts 4-A 

Callaway Mac Daddy 56 and 58 degree wedges 

Kayson Mallet 34" putter

"Can't birdie them all if you don't birdie the first 2"

I can't recommend the Garsen Ultimate enough 🫡  

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5*