How long do you play a ball before retiring it?

I often classify balls depending on how damaged/playable they are:

• Scuffed ball -> Use it as practice ball at home / sim
  • Visual marks -> Use it when there's risk to send it OOB
  • New balls -> Use it when there's low risk to lose it
  • Putter Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11
  • 58 wedge (56 bended to 58) Ben Hogan Imperial
  • 52 wedge Takomo Skyforger
  • P-4 Takomo 101
  • 4 Hybrid Taylormade M6
  • 3 Wood Taylormade M6
  • Driver Callaway Epic GBB
  • Ball Taylormade TP5X

It’s always a judgment call, but I’ve retired balls with significant scuffs (cart path or tree) or occasionally once the gloss is off the ball (rare but I’ve had a couple). I had a ball last 60 holes a few months ago, and I make it 18 somewhat regularly - but like others here I lose balls before they’re worn way more often than not.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

Normally, right off the first tee and into the woods. Thank God for breakfast balls.

If I begin to see some wear and tear, scuff marks or something else, I will reach into the bag for a new one.

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST R Flex

3 Wood: TaylorMade Razr

Hybrids: Callaway Rogue Max 3 - 5

Irons: TaylorMade M5

Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind 4 52, 54/Titleist Vokey M6 56

Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7

R.jpg

36 holes. Most of the time I will lose it in one of the lakes on our course  

Played golf for over 50 years until my health and business calendar reduced my time to less then 5 rounds a year. Then 4 years ago I retired, changed my diet and lifestyle, lost 100 pounds and got back on the course. Its been a struggle but things are getting better.

Retire? You mean lose them in Shady Pines? If I'm lucky enough, I'd like to keep them for a minimum of 9 holes.

When my wife asked if I wanted to leave Maine and move to where she grew up, I couldn't say no to Pinehurst, NC. I honestly don't spend much money on golf equipment, but I'm constantly reading reviews in case I ever get ready to buy

I swing left handed and have been the State of Maine Left Hander's champion since 1997, the last year they held the tournament. I'm currently a 7.1 handicap. Trying to get lower, but my gut gets in the way.

WITB

Driver: image.png.2a9745c9eca1e1dcd4c3ecfd5b2823e3.png Epic speed 9 degree

Irons: :titelist-small: 990's S300 Stiff shafts bought when I was in college. (Received a personal use discount, otherwise would've stuck with my Hogan Edge's)

3 Wood: :callaway-small:  Epic speed 15 degree or image.png.188f225bd9daa89b3976cdaa079d23d0.png PT15

52/56/60 :taylormade-small: Z Spin wedges (heck of a deal $100 for all 3 at Dick's in 2013)

Putter: :odyssey-small: OG Rossie

image.png

At least two rounds unless gets scuffed up.  I used to play a ball for multiple rounds if not lost superstitiously saying its got good juju so let it play!  Then saw My Golf Spy study on balls marked or scuffed even slightly and how much its performance dropped so now take out of play sooner.

WITB

-Driver Rouge ST Max

-3W Taylormade M2 HL

-Irons Titleist T100 3-PW

-52, 56 and 60 Vokey SM8

-Putter Odyssee Series I Black number 9

-Ball Titleist Pro V1

It used to be whenever I lost it, thanks to MGS I try to avoid using any that have a noticeable scuff/scratch. The games hard enough without losing distance and accuracy because of a beat up golf ball.

Driver - 9* Taylormade Qi10

Wood - Taylormade M2 HL 3 Wood

Irons - Callaway Rogue Pro

Putter - LAB Link.1

I tend to "overplay" their stay.   Of late, I may go two to three rounds with the same ball(s) in play.  I lose them far less now than even a year ago.  What's the dertermining factor - it really comes down to how scuffed they are. Some balls still do well (for me) even after they have show decent wear.  Those get relegated to chipping/pitching drills in the backyard.  I have also taken a dozen "extra" balls to add to the driving range fleet at my local course as they use found balls mixed in with their regular balls. 

WITB? Ping G400 SFT w/Aldila Mamba shaft R flex; Ping G410 3w; Ping G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26); TaylorMade SLDR 5i (interchanges w/5h)-PW -stock graphite shafts Rflex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -Rflex and Odyssey AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls. 

I play a ball until there is physical evidence that it has betrayed me.  That's why I don't play "found" balls.  They have already proven themselves to be unreliable.

I don't play often enough to worry about playing with substandard balls. If a ball doesn't behave and play nicely, it's outta here.  I have brand new balls waiting for a chance to prove their loyalty.

I love playing golf.

WITB

• Driver - TaylorMade M2 12 degree A-flex-
  • 3-wood TaylorMade SIM Titanium 15-
  • 3-wood Ping G SF-Tec 16+
  • 2 Crossover Titleist U505
  • Ping G430 Hybrid 4
  • Irons Ping G Max irons 4-W
  • SW - Titleist Vokey SM8
  • Putter - Kirkland Signature
  • Ball - Maxfli Tour

2 hours ago, OldSchoolFlusher said:

For a tournament - new ball every 9 holes… note - a major scuff / launch OOB makes it costly lol… not worried about discolouration (e.g. off a tree which is common for me 😜) though… 

Non-tournament - use the balls from above, for practice / casual rounds / and finally into the practice ball bag for short game work etc…. 

I try to buy in bulk to reduce costs, e.g. in UK Titliest just about to launch there buy 3 get 4 dozen promotion… that makes life easier… 

I was surprised to go this long into the thread before seeing this answer. This would be my answer as well. Tournament or league play I’m opening a new sleeve and only play unblemished golf balls. I will play 18 with the same ball of it stays that way and doesn’t get marked up - I figure if I ever got past the sleeve it doesn’t really matter what ball I’m playing anymore anyway - 😞

I should remind everyone that MGS has contests on this - blemishes or marks do not help - they hurt - once a ball is blemishes it performs differently through the green. I still will play with one like that in casual play but it’s probably not wise because it could a false impression of how I’ve hit a shot. 

One last thing - my league play is every week. People in that league are extremely persnickety about rules which is just fine with me. I always have 2 fresh different numbered balls in my pocket when I play in that league just in case. 

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I’m pretty good at keeping a ball in play for a few rounds unless I do something stupid like try and carry a 3wood 250 yards over water (“what was I thinking “)

Cart path rash is another reason it goes into the practice bin!  Our club also has a good junior program and I donate some of the more “tired” balls to them

Ping G425 LST Driver

Ping G425 3 Wood

Ping G425 19deg Hybrid

Ping G430 irons 5-P, 45, 50

Taylormade MG3 wedges 54, 58

Ping Ketch Putter 34”

My balls put up with me for 5-9 holes before finding a great place to hide.  I have played 3 separate rounds with the same ball in my 35+ years of golf. 

I am proud to say I played the back 9 at RNK with a single ball!!  after losing 4 on the front.

:cobra-small: LTDx LS 9° Hzrdus Blue 6.0s

:srixon-small:z65 3W 15° Miyazaki Kaula 6s  :honma: XP1 5W 17.5 Vizard 63s :tour-edge: E722 7W Tensei Blue 7s 

:mizuno-small: JPX919 Hot Metal 6i-PW Nippon 105s  S23 50°/ T22 54° 58°

:cobra-small: Vintage Stingray :garsen: Quad Tour NT

:OnCore: Elixr 22     :wilson_staff_small:Triad

I am not that good that I can go round after round without losing balls.  In my last round a week ago, I lost one ball (in the water) on the 8th hole, and played the rest of the round with the same ball.  I intentionally "retired" that ball at the end of the round as I noted it was partially scuffed up and scratched.  I have a practice bag that is half full of balls that I take into the back yard and use.  When the weather is ok I set up a target down the yard and just practice short chips from different lies into the net.  Those balls, while slightly damaged, are perfect for that kind of short range practice. So I would say no more than 1 round then I retire it. 

image.png.b89fa684b54b186f20c376e6af43ac1d.png 425's- 5i to PW, UW

image.png.4462ac5ffcc9491d68e78951b3a1a587.png  G400 Driver, G425 3W, G425 7W, G425 3H

image.png.cf53a065a6e348c87221c4bf13510375.png 56 degree Hi-Toe wedge

image.png.4462ac5ffcc9491d68e78951b3a1a587.png  Glide 60 degree 

image.png.d4990c8d6330ecc392d9a5124b26165a.png Evnroll ER3

Remember when you could "smile" a ball? I haven't been able to do that since I started playing again in 2015. Now they become a practice ball when they meet the cart path a rock or a hardwood tree, which happens about once a round. 

-ckeller52

What's in the bag? This is....
IRONS         Srixon ZX5 5-AW fitted with Elements Recoil 806 F2 Shafts
WEDGE's     Vokey SM9 54* 14 Fitted with Elements Recoil 806 F2 Shafts and A 60* Jean Carlo Golf Wedge (Amazon)
DRIVER       default_taylormade-small.jpg M6
3 WOOD     GX-7 14°
HYBRIDS     cobra King F9 Speedback 3&4  KBS TOUR HB GRAPHITE 75 R
PUTTER      L.A.B Link1 33"
Lamkin       Sonar+ Tour Calibrate Standard Golf Grips
I also use Garmin Approach S70 and a Bushnell V3 (no slope)
And a Full Swing Kit launch monitor for the three times a week or so when I practice. 

I was playing Bridgestone B RX and one round was it pretty much. I switched to the Maxfli Tour and those things are indestructible as far as a quality ball goes ; 36 easy. 

Take it back and let it go

Great topic.  This is one of those things that is really just an issue for the lower handicappers out there, and it's actually something that's played into how i've shaped my own game (i'm about a 3 handicap that loves to play and practice, but knows his limitations). 

I've found that the really high-end urethane balls (such as the Pro V1 class) are absolutely awesome fresh out of the pack.  Slick paint, flight through the air fast, and spinny as can be around the green.  But after just 8 or 9 holes, you can start to see the wear. 

Now i assume this might be different for some folks, because if you're playing very-well-manicured courses that have lush fairways and actual grass where the fairways end and the rough begins, your ball's cover is going to last longer.  I'm not so well-off that i can play such prestigious places, and here in northwest North Carolina we generally play all year round.  Fairways go dormant, and the balls land in much harder spots - which just accrues the damage even more. 

The problem i see with the covers on those balls is primarily in the long game, like driver.  They just don't fly as far, and i assume it's mainly to do with wind resistance since the cover is no longer slick.  Add to that my confessed inability to regularly control my spin on approach shots (i really don't seem to be able to know when these things are going to sit or bounce forward or back up 30'), and i've just really quit trying.  I'm sure with practice i'd get better at it, but in my 50's now i practice less and play more.

The absolute most consistent balls i've played (and play right now for the past several years) are balls like the Titleist TruFeel and the Titleist Velocity.  Other companies have similar offerings, i've just stuck with these.  They're not urethane, and they don't spin like it.  But the covers on those balls can take what anyone would consider massive damage (cart path scuffs, etc.) and STILL play just about the same as if new out of the box.  And i'm talking MULTIPLE 18-hole rounds.  You literally can't wear them out.  I'm sure they would suffer noticeably if left laying outside, or in a pond, just like any other ball would.  You won't see a one-hop-stop check on a chip around the green with these balls.  But you'll NEVER hit a shot right at the flag and have it back up 30' on you.  They always bounce forward just a little, or stay close to where they land, depending on club and distance.  Now the MGS guys hate these balls, because they feel like the masses MUST hit a urethane ball because of the spin they have around the greens.  And i don't dispute that chipping advantage.  It's there and it's fun if you know how to do it (i do, but i can't reconcile the advantage the ionomer balls give me on approach shots).  The "ionomer"-type balls fly higher, they also fly STRAIGHTER, and for a low-handicap golfer, that actually means FEWER chips are needed. 

I feel like you're probably unlikely to ever see anyone that has a clubhead speed of 110 mph ever hit one of these ionomer balls, because they'll just muscle a urethane ball right on through whatever cover defects it has.  And also likely over-compress an ionomer ball.  But for guys like me, with a clubhead speed around 100 mph with driver, these balls hit the sweet spot.  They're cheaper, they absolutely WON'T wear out from play (assuming you play one you bought, and not one you found and don't know its history), and are much more forgiving for whatever swing faults you have due to their lower-spinning nature.  Spin can be awesome around the greens, but what you never hear is the more a ball spins, the more curvature it'll have in flight (if you have any swing fault that will cause a hook or slice) and the more a headwind will just kill its distance.  JMHO

So to answer the original question, i'll play my ionomer balls until i lose them, or until they accrue enough damage that they undboutedly can't fly true or putt straight.

I once played 8 rounds (non-consecutive) with the same ProV1 just to see the results. After 4 rounds, the ball it rather beat up. After 6, ball flight had noticeably changed. More sidespin - less control. After the 8th round, I retired the ball. Still have it.  I sent a note to Titleist on the topic. The cust service rep said 3 rounds. 

Normally, I start each round with a new ball. Starts my day off right. 

If you're on a budget, buy the Maxfli Tour 24 pack - under $3 per ball. Considering the expenses of alcohol, food, and cigars during golf, don't play an old scuffed ball. The golf ball is the most important piece of equipment. 

image.png.94f13df8145a5d3d3e8432352619fb85.png

With the balls today, as long as no scuffs or cuts, I play it. I check for that as well as a lump from a thin hit. 
In total, 18 holes if if in good shape, maybe 36, but I typically see signs to pull it out by then. 

Steve Martak

Till I lose it. 

:titelist-small: TSi3 #1-3-5 all with Tensi Blue S-flex

:callaway-small: 2019 Apex Pro black 3 & 4H Catalyst 70 or    

:titelist-small: TSi3 #2-3 depending on how I’m playing. Tensi Blue

:callaway-small: 2019 Calloway Apex Pro black, 5-PW, Catalyst 100 - 6.0, Super Stroker Jumbo   

:cobra-small:  2020 RadSpeed OL 4H, 5-GW … won’t get to actually use till warmer weather

:callaway-small: 2019 PM-grind, 56° & 60°, KBS steel, Green Cap

:taylormade-small: Blue Spider EX

:titelist-small: Pro V1X

I play them as long as I can find it unless I'm in a tournament and hit a cart path or something else that will scuff it up too much to be played.

:callaway-small: Mavrik Driver 9*

:callaway-small: Mavrik 3 Metal

:callaway-small: Mavrik 5 Metal

:mizuno-small: JPX 923 Hot Metal 5-Gap

:callaway-small: 54* Sand Wedge

:callaway-small: 60* Lob Wedge

:scotty-small: Scotty Phantom 5.5 Putter

Golfer BG

...retire? My balls all leave me like a disgruntled ex. I've never had the opportunity to retire one. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

On the west coast of Florida, most courses have as many water hazards as they do holes. If I'm lucky enough, I'll get 3-4 rounds out of a ball before it decides to go swimming. Usually, I can count on losing a ball a round. Side note - I once read where Byron Nelson won ELEVEN CONSECUTIVE tournaments in a row... all with the SAME BALL!!!

Like many others in this post, I usually don't retire golf balls since they take care of that on their own via drowning or a hike through the forest.  In rare cases when I am able to keep the ball for multiple rounds the only time I might consider retiring it is after a significant scuff from a cart path, rock or successive bunker shots.  I don't usually have to check it after successive bunker shots since hitting multiple shots in the same bunker is usually the ball's fault and that is reason enough to store it away for another day.

:ping-small: G425 Driver

:ping-small: G425 3w

:callaway-small: 2 Hybrid

:srixon-small:  Z585 Irons 3-PW 

467311891_Screenshot2021-12-24002654.jpg.3c87f11fa77f127a10ed922bdcbbcc69.jpg RTX Zipcore 50 Gap, 56 SW, 60 LW

:odyssey-small: 2 ball Putter

:taylormade-small: Maxfli Tour Balls

When playing decently, I have gone a number of rounds without losing a ball.  I'll continue to play an undamaged, unscuffed ball in casual rounds until the ball is lost or damaged; in tournaments that are important to me, an undamaged ball will be retired after every round or two, then played again in subsequent casual rounds until lost or damaged.

WITB: Callaway Epic Max 10.5° driver/Ventus 6-R; Cobra King F6 3-wood/Matrix Red Tie Q4-R; Callaway Mavrik Pro 2- and 4-hybrids/KBS  Hybrid 80-S; Srixon ZX5 4-G irons/KBS Tour Lite R; Mizuno T22 56°/14° SW; Royal LinkTech full cord grips; 34" Quoin B-1031 putter/Super Stroke Slim 3.0 grip

I'll play with a ball as long as it is in good condition. That may be a few holes to a couple rounds. Usually nothing more than 2-3 rounds because my wedges usually scuff them at some point. 

Mike

I keep it in play unless I can "feel" a scuff or scrape with my fingers.  Couldn't care less about cosmetic stuff like tree marks or scraped paint, but if it feels like it's got a burr or any raised damage to the outer skin of the ball it's out.  That kind of thing WILL effect it's performance in the air because it will disrupt the aerodynamics designed into the ball.  At a minimum it will lose distance, and it's likely to be less stable, and therefore less "straight".  How much depends on the type and severity of the damage.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 driver w/Tensei White S, Cobra F9 3W & 5W w/Hazrdus Black S,  Mizuno Pro221s 4-PW S-300s .75" long,   TM MG series 50,54,58.  GP Z-Grip, Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 2 putter.