Help with a DIY hiccup please!

As some of us are prone to do, I went down a road for the heck of it.

I was determined to try the "paint fill" routine. Partly because my irons had some need for it, partly I just wanted to give it a go.

Fearful that acetone would screw up the cavity of these clubs, I ignorantly applied citristrip liberally and let it sit.  (as indicated in pic - showing extent not actual iron at this time)

What I got was a halo or rainbow around the lettering inside the cavity.  Which turns out to be some sort of gray metallic paint.

Question is this - 

Do I attempt to repaint - which I wouldn't then know how to protect the lettering from getting filled in too much to be able to refill it later with black or other.

Do I strip it completely for uniformity.  If so - does this then bring increased risk of constant rusting issues.

Thanks!

iron snuf.JPG

WITB

Drivers: Cobra F9 w/Atmos

HOOK STICKS(hybrids): Adams Pro 20*/23*  hook sticks!🤓

IRONS: Bridgestone Tour Stage TS-202 (5-PW)  /  Yamaha Inpres XV Forged (5-PW)   /   Ping Eye2 (3-S)

WEDGES: Callaway MackDaddy2 52*/56*

PUTTER: Ping Zing2 /  Anser4  /  Bobby Grace LoPro   / Bobby Grace Fat Lady Swings

BALLS:   :srixon-small:  Z-Star    :vice:  Pro +

:ping-small:        :callaway-logo-1:   :cobra-small:   :1332069271_TommyArmour:      :bobby-grace-1:   :adams-small:      :cleveland-small: 

This pic shows the type of paint inside the cavity.  So obvious now that it is paint.

Feels like I do after missing a putt only to glance back and notice the obvious break being opposite of what I thought.

🙄

ts 202.JPG

WITB

IRONS: Bridgestone Tour Stage TS-202 (5-PW)  /  Yamaha Inpres XV Forged (5-PW)   /   Ping Eye2 (3-S)

PUTTER: Ping Zing2 /  Anser4  /  Bobby Grace LoPro   / Bobby Grace Fat Lady Swings

:ping-small:        :callaway-logo-1:   :cobra-small:   :1332069271_TommyArmour:      :bobby-grace-1:   :adams-small:      :cleveland-small: 

Here is a photo of my actual irons AFTER.  The pictures above were before and just for reference.

Thanks

ts 202 spot2.jpeg

ts 202 spot.jpeg

WITB

I'm not familiar with Citra strip but I think your best bet is to apply it to the entire cavity surface in hopes of getting a uniform looking surface.  It will no longer have the grit blasted appearance but would be much better IMO.  If the Citra strip removed a protective finish, it may start to oxidize, but you won't know until you try.   

You might also send an IM to Jim (@McGolf) as he's one of our forum club build and repair experts.

Good luck

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

As I am sure you figured out the paint fill of the cavity has a texture and appears to be decently thick.  

If you can recreate the look then I d say repaint it. to me it almost looks power coated.  If regular paint is available as it is to us regular folk. I would consider sand blasting the cavity to give it the rough surface then paint it to match the set. 

As far as paint fill goes a little dab will do ya. some amount of acetone or nail remover can do the trick with a dental tool (harbor freight) to remove paint. 

to put it back in this case Id consider a the paint bottle with the needle to minimize the spread. and wipe directly.

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

On 4/9/2024 at 7:57 AM, McGolf said:

As I am sure you figured out the paint fill of the cavity has a texture and appears to be decently thick.  

If you can recreate the look then I d say repaint it. to me it almost looks power coated.  If regular paint is available as it is to us regular folk. I would consider sand blasting the cavity to give it the rough surface then paint it to match the set. 

As far as paint fill goes a little dab will do ya. some amount of acetone or nail remover can do the trick with a dental tool (harbor freight) to remove paint. 

to put it back in this case Id consider a the paint bottle with the needle to minimize the spread. and wipe directly.

Thanks!

Not sure sand blasting is an option as I don't have a setup for that.  Put a 2nd round of citristip on it and it is slowly removing the finish inside the cavity.  Gonna try something else I guess.  Odd, I read most every forum thread and watched most every video prior to doing this, but this one item of a finish near the lettering wasn't much on the menu.  

Now my only concern is doing something that allow for rust not to take over.

Automotive paint?  Saw a vid of Meehan or someone spraying an old Callaway ERC or similar with it and that looked kind of close to what I see inside the cavity.  

Clubs!  Wow - took a nice tiny bargain and turned it into a tiny money pit!

Thanks for the tips!

WITB