Testers Wanted! T Squared Putters ×
2024 PGA Contest by MyClubFitter and My Golf Spy ×

Rangefinders

Hey all,

I've been using the Precision Pro R1, which i have loved.  The price-point, accuracy and additional data this rangefinder provides are exceptional.  The downside?  I have to plug it in to recharge every two rounds vs. carrying an extra battery in my bag as needed for most rangefinders.

At the $300 price point, you can't beat it.  Anyone else have good recommendations for rangefinders?  I love the idea of the Cube rangefinder, but again, it's a rechargeable battery.

Thanks all!

Just your typical average golfer...if there's a tree, I'll hit it!

I tested the Precision Pro NX10 for the forum back in 2022 and it's been great for me.  The extra battery isn't a huge deal.  I'm not 100% certain but I think I'm on my 2nd battery now so I got well over a year on the first one and the shelf life on them is several years so easy to keep in the bag.  Also, the battery indicator is pretty accurate so it won't surprise you and just stop working.

I absolutely love my Voice Caddie SL2 rangefinder/gps/green undulation that I tested for MGS a couple years ago.  It’s up there in price and has a rechargeable battery but it last forever on a charge. I actually just used it for the first time since September and it still worked with almost full battery.   I can’t recommend it enough 

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

I’ve been using a Leupold hunting range finder for about 13 years, I just changed the battery last year. I know there’s so much advancement in technology out there I’d love to hear some thoughts on something that won’t break the bank but that’s an absolute game improvement.

Taylormade driver through irons

cleveland wedges

odyssey black label putter that’s way too old but still makes putts

I got a cheap/no name one off Amazon, accuracy is good but struggle to pick up the pin at times (I also don’t have the steadiest hand…definitely would not make a good surgeon!).

Would look for something with flag lock next time, but it works good enough for now.

Edited by TJ Hall

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Stealth 3 wood

Titleist U510 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

You can find a Bushnell second hand for a really good price many times on FB Marketplace or EBay. I bought my V5 on sale with the X3 model came out last year for under $400. I don’t think you have to overspend in order to get good quality in a range finder. I know Blue Tees makes a good one too. 

Driver:  cobralogo.png.60692cdc05482efd83e68664e010b95f.png Aerojet LS, Ventus Blue Shaft - 6S
4 Wood:  callaway.png.e65d398fb0327017a369499fc6126064.png Rogue ST Max 16.5, Tensei White Shaft - 7S
Utility Iron: mizunopro.png.90cc4fb9895830e28063d9a5be416145.png Fli Hi 3-iron, HAZARDOUS Smoke Black Shaft - S
Irons:  mizuno.png.f0e7b21135cb6273b3c1430866904467.png JPX 921 Tour 4-P, Project X Shafts - Stiff 125g
Wedges: cleveland.png.f21f4d2361520fdf1bbd9d515a2f11e6.png 52º, 56º, 60º
Putter:  odyssey.png.58c727e37eb7efda62bce4f7b8881bd9.png Ai-One 7 T CH, 34"
Preferred Ball: srixon.png.f177578dda27a20ef80a0a8b1ae96e3b.png Z-Star Diamond
Pushcart: bagboy.jpg.0dda53b5175958e1b5686f22b90af744.jpg Nitron
Rangefinder: bushnell.jpg.c51debd06066fa243dea7f14d69a8dba.jpg Tour V5 Shift

I checked my Precision Pro NX7 with slope against an expensive unit I use for hunting (Leica) and it was dead on.  It locks on to the pin easy and does everything I need on the course for relatively cheap.  

:callaway-small:Paradym driver

:callaway-small:Paradym X 3HL

:callaway-small:Paradym 7w

Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5 Hybrid

:callaway-small:Paradym irons 6-AW

:callaway-small:Jaws Raw 54*, 58*

:odyssey-small: Versa 3T

I bought mine from Costco.  Paid around $130 for it and it seems to work just fine for me.  It has the slope on/off feature.  I carry an extra batter in my bag just in case.  

But this thread got me thinking, what makes a high end rangefinder better than a low end (assuming both are accurate +/- a yard or two)?  Am I missing something the $400 rangefinders offer that mine doesn't?  I've stood on tee boxes with other people that use other rangefinders and there is never more than a yard or two difference.

Driver: TaylorMade Stealth 2, 9.0, ventus blue 5R shaft

3 wood: TaylorMade Sim2 max, 15.0, ventus blue 5R shaft

5 wood: TaylorMade Burner (old school)

Irons:

4-PW - PXG-0311XP-Gen3, Modus Pro 105-R shafts

48 Deg wedge, Calloway Jaws

52 Deg wedge, Ping

56 Deg sandwedge, Powerbilt (had is since high school)

Putter: TaylorMade Spyder  

On 4/17/2024 at 7:18 PM, Thegrittygolfer said:

I’ve been using a Leupold hunting range finder for about 13 years, I just changed the battery last year. I know there’s so much advancement in technology out there I’d love to hear some thoughts on something that won’t break the bank but that’s an absolute game improvement.

@Thegrittygolfer, welcome to the forums. You've got legit concerns and this is the place where you'll read some great input. Some you'll agree with others not so much. It really is a great exchange. Welcome.

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet