Testers Wanted: Sun Mountain Stand Bag and Travel Bag ×

Breakthrough Golf Technology (BGT) driver shafts

I saw this MGS article from the daily email. I thought with all the buzz with Autoflex lately, and the current forum test, this was an interesting one to highlight. They started with putter shafts, and that's a big focus of the company, but they have made a shaft for drivers/woods now - Brava and Brava Sierra Echo. And they actually make a direct comparison to Autoflex. It seems like that's what they are going for.

https://mygolfspy.com/news-opinion/breakthrough-golf-technology-takes-stability-to-new-heights/

A lot of this makes sense for the company motivations. They can see another boutique shaft company selling $800 shafts and being successful at it (I think). There must be some room in there! These are more in the $400s range rather than the $800s of Autoflex.

Not much of the article is about the driver shafts, but they do provide some info - 

• Lightweight shaft (A, R, S, X—have corresponding weights respectively of 46, 50, 54 and 58 grams ... A for slower swingers in the 75-mph range, R for 85 mph, S for 95 and X for 105 and over)
  • Toray ™ carbon fiber, Speedflite NRG™ tech
  • Ten yards longer with nine percent tighter dispersion than Autoflex (3rd party test)
  • Seven yards longer with 60 percent tighter dispersion than Tensei (3rd party test)
  • Adams emphasizes square clubhead and good strike is promoted by the shaft

Does anyone know anything about Toray carbon fiber? I'm guessing that's a readily available carbon fiber product and not specific to BGT. How about Speedflite NRG tech? That sounds like it would be a buzzy tech name specific to the brand.

Hmm -https://www.toray.co.jp/global/products/carbon-fiber/ . Toray is the company name. 

“Brava shafts hit the ball further because the clubhead is more square at impact,” Adams says. “You hit the ball further by hitting it at the centre of mass. Just a quarter-inch off the center of mass can be as much as an eight- to 14-yard distance loss, depending on clubhead speeds. That’s a huge difference.

“Having the clubhead more stable at impact gets you more center hits or at least closer to more center hits. That’s a big advantage.” 

That bit there could be partly or fully behind their claims as the numbers line up - more distance comes from better strike. The 3rd party may not be testing with equivalent strikes, which is fine if it's a real-life reflection. Anyway, you know how that goes.

Well there are a bunch of concrete claims here, and all of these claims are really begging for a test, either by the good people of the forum, or someone at MGS 🙂  To be continued I guess.

BGTshaft1.PNG.35627abe0f65a6b8a72991b91cee1feb.PNG

Driver: ping.png.006bacb76d65413e66b9c8eb1b47f592.png G400 LST 8.5°

3W: cobra2.png.60653951979ca617ca859530a17d0a2d.png King Speedzone

Irons: ping.png.006bacb76d65413e66b9c8eb1b47f592.png i200 (3 thru PW & UW)

Wedge: Ray Cook 60 deg

Putter: Spalding TP Mills 3

Tech: golfshot.png.5c17c64b9425413b3bf24668ce3fa044.png on Apple Watch & phone

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve had a lot of success with the BGT Stability Tour putter shaft.

It made me want to try the ZNE wedge shaft when that came out.  Fitted my lob wedge with the 130g version and loved it so much I put the 115g in my gap wedge.

Bought one of the new 115g RED ZNE shafts recently and put it in my sand wedge. Love it too!

Got a great deal on a preowned Brava X-stiff shaft a few months back but unfortunately it did not work for me.  Too stiff for me.

With the recent success I’m having with the TPT Golf Power Range shafts that I’ve been fit for I will not be pursuing a softer flex Brava shaft.

Cobra LTDx LS 9.0 TPT Power Range 18 LO

Cobra LTDx 3W lofted to 16.5 TPT 17 HI

Tour Edge E723 21 degree Diamana Thump f85 S

Cobra LTDx 24 degree 5 hybrid TPT 17 LO

Corey Paul - 5 & 6 CB with KBS $-Taper 120 Stiff Black

Corey Paul 7 - PW Japan Forged Minimalist Blades KBS $-Taper 120 Stiff Chrome

Corey Paul Functional Art 52, 56 & 60 all with BGT ZNE shafts

Odyssey O Works Black #7 with BGT Stability Tour Shaft, SuperStroke Traxion 3.0 & 75g CounterCore

Bridgestone Tour BRX or MaxFli Tour

Tracked by Arccos, Bushnell V4, Vessel Lux XV 2.0 bag, Bag Boy quad XL cart with Alphard V2 wheels

8 hours ago, Hoyoymac said:

I’ve had a lot of success with the BGT Stability Tour putter shaft.

It made me want to try the ZNE wedge shaft when that came out.  Fitted my lob wedge with the 130g version and loved it so much I put the 115g in my gap wedge.

Bought one of the new 115g RED ZNE shafts recently and put it in my sand wedge. Love it too!

Got a great deal on a preowned Brava X-stiff shaft a few months back but unfortunately it did not work for me.  Too stiff for me.

With the recent success I’m having with the TPT Golf Power Range shafts that I’ve been fit for I will not be pursuing a softer flex Brava shaft.

Hey that's awesome to hear some firsthand experience! Thank you. So would you say that X-stiff was just a poor fit and maybe the stiff would've been better? Great price and you had to give it a try? 

Driver: ping.png.006bacb76d65413e66b9c8eb1b47f592.png G400 LST 8.5°

3W: cobra2.png.60653951979ca617ca859530a17d0a2d.png King Speedzone

Irons: ping.png.006bacb76d65413e66b9c8eb1b47f592.png i200 (3 thru PW & UW)

Wedge: Ray Cook 60 deg

Putter: Spalding TP Mills 3

Tech: golfshot.png.5c17c64b9425413b3bf24668ce3fa044.png on Apple Watch & phone

I played the x-stiff Brava shaft for a bit last winter during league golf. It’s a great shaft but make no mistake if you swing 100 or better it isn’t an autoflex killer. It is more stable and lower spin/launch than the autoflex for sure in stiff and x-stiff. 

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

1 hour ago, HikingMike said:

Hey that's awesome to hear some firsthand experience! Thank you. So would you say that X-stiff was just a poor fit and maybe the stiff would've been better? Great price and you had to give it a try? 

When I started investigating the Brava shaft I first spoke to the folks at BGT and they suggested the Stiff to me.

But I was able to get the Brave X-stiff shaft for less than half of the retail cost with an adapter already fit for my driver.

My swing speed is close to the dividing line between stiff and x-stiff.   I’m also doing swing speed training to try and increase it further so I thought it might work out and so I took advantage of the deal.

In retrospect I should have taken their recommendation and/or gotten fit because the X-stiff is not the right flex for me.

Cobra LTDx LS 9.0 TPT Power Range 18 LO

Cobra LTDx 3W lofted to 16.5 TPT 17 HI

Tour Edge E723 21 degree Diamana Thump f85 S

Cobra LTDx 24 degree 5 hybrid TPT 17 LO

Corey Paul - 5 & 6 CB with KBS $-Taper 120 Stiff Black

Corey Paul 7 - PW Japan Forged Minimalist Blades KBS $-Taper 120 Stiff Chrome

Corey Paul Functional Art 52, 56 & 60 all with BGT ZNE shafts

Odyssey O Works Black #7 with BGT Stability Tour Shaft, SuperStroke Traxion 3.0 & 75g CounterCore

Bridgestone Tour BRX or MaxFli Tour

Tracked by Arccos, Bushnell V4, Vessel Lux XV 2.0 bag, Bag Boy quad XL cart with Alphard V2 wheels