Testers Wanted: Newton Driver Shafts ×

How do you mark your golf balls?

This is how i mark my balls. I also mark a little VW beside the logo when i'm too lazy to draw any faces. I was thinking of using a clearcoat on them but idk if it will affect the ball flight. Does anyone have any input? 

It's always that one good shot that keeps us coming back! Follow me on IG

What's in my bag?

• D - TM SIM2 MAX 
  • 3W - TM SIM2 MAX
  • 5W - TM Aeroburner 
  • 3H - TM Rescue
  • 5-PW - TM P790
  • 52 - TM MG2 
  • 56 - TM MG1
  • 60 - TM MG2
  • Putter - EvnRoll ER7
  • Ball - PV1 or TP5 

22 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

For the folks who don't use markings, do you ever hit a Provisional Ball?  Do you at least use a different number for the Provisional?  

Fair point. I will look at the number on the provisional, but most likely I will have no idea what the number on the 1st shot was. I don't play in tournaments, it's usually just league or casual rounds with friends so it's not something we worry about.

Driver: :taylormade-small: QI10 Max
Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3HL
Fairway: :ping-small: G425 Max 9 Wood
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: 2020 CLK 5 Hybrid
Hybrid: :PXG: 0317 6 Hybrid

Irons: :cleveland-small: Zipcore XL 7-PW
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 46° 50° 54° & 58°
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:
 Array F-3 
Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour Yellow

On 5/14/2024 at 3:27 PM, Northern Monkey said:

I mark all mine with a paw, just cos it’s different and I like animals more than people 🤣IMG_5680.jpeg.5dd08a0f51029c7b48418e700568686c.jpeg

Where did you get the paw print stencil? I've seen advertisements for something like that and have been intrigued.

TaylorMade woods, Callaway irons and wedges, and an Odyssey putter

Posted (edited)

I put 4 blue dots at the points of an internal tetrahedron (4-sided solid; 3-sided pyramid) so that one of them is always showing upward.  One dot at either end of the alignment marking then flip it over and put one at one end of each labeling.

image.png.cf490d5f710170e6460154ea2fc62d6e.png (imagine this inside the ball, a dot at each vertice)

If there happens to be a free printing offer going on, my motto will read "The hardest shot from which to recover is a good drive"

Edited by mardukes
adding...

Z565 or Launcher Lite :: M6 3&5 woods :: Srixon hybrids :: Cleveland 588 TT irons :: CBX wedges :: midsize grips w/no glove

31 minutes ago, MILGolfing said:

This is how i mark my balls. I also mark a little VW beside the logo when i'm too lazy to draw any faces. I was thinking of using a clearcoat on them but idk if it will affect the ball flight. Does anyone have any input? 

That's cool! 

If I still had younger kids, I would have let them draw all over the balls, like they did for Easter egg painting !

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

19 minutes ago, KenRider said:

Where did you get the paw print stencil? I've seen advertisements for something like that and have been intrigued.

Amazon - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thats-My-Ball-Stamper-Print/dp/B07G36MCLM

Driver: IMG_5084.png.5fbbd783dcc8d621f65db4e523c4867a.png G430 Max

Fairway: IMG_5157.jpeg.41245fafb8773b507ee7f693ad6a2066.jpeg LTDx Max 3 wood

Hybrid: IMG_5157.jpeg.41245fafb8773b507ee7f693ad6a2066.jpeg King Tec 3 hybrid

Irons: IMG_5157.jpeg.41245fafb8773b507ee7f693ad6a2066.jpeg Forged Tec 4-PW + GW

Wedges: IMG_5083.jpeg.03d55f2ce7c7118771008ca6d79deff1.jpeg Jaws 56

IMG_5733.jpeg.1e4058deebcd18f2f88ac5dcaa6c8149.jpegSM9 52

Putter: IMG_5308.webp.c1f0b99088f53de60d3349e71f9c2844.webp Mallet

Ball: IMG_5083.jpeg.03d55f2ce7c7118771008ca6d79deff1.jpeg Chrome Soft

I draw a thick black line along the equator. On the greens, I point the line on the ball down the line to your target, then square your putter to it.  I believe this is the best way to lining up putts with the help of alignment lines which is also a common sight on the PGA Tour

Driver: Titleist TSI3 10° - Tensei AV Blue 55 Shaft
Wood:  Titleist TSI2 15° - Tensei AV Blue 65 Shaft
Hybrid: Ping Answer 20 - TFC 800H Shaft 
Irons: Miura 57 3-PW - Mitsubishi OT 75 Shafts
Wedges: Miura Forged 51, 55, 60 - True Temper Spinner Wedge Shafts
Putter:  Valgrine, Phoenix

DREAM SET.jpg

Usually just a Sharpie dot (red, green or orange ) on the number and “T” with the side stamp.  Tested the Maxfli Tour with the enhanced alignment aid and filled in the sides with a Sharpie to get better feedback on putts.

IMG_1550.jpeg.51d0238dd8bf994ca6e532f4269a10da.jpeg

Driver:  Ping G425 Max (10.5º; Regular )

Fwy:  Cobra King SZ (3; Regular); Ping G410 (5; Regular)

Hybrids: Ping G410 (22º and 26º; Regular)

Irons: Cleveland Launcher XL (6-U)

Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 (54º/12º), and Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 (58º/8º)

Putter:  Ping Karsten Anser X

1 hour ago, golfinnut said:

Saw some guys coming down the fairway immediately stop at my ball & hit it.

A similar thing happened to me. The difference was that my ball was in my fairway, and the group one fairway over "found" their ball... which was my ball. That's the trigger that led me to my "dump a sharpie on it" method of marking my ball.

I'd would guess those marking their ball with a single dot, or something small like that, have not played at a cramped muni in a while.

2024 Season - WITB

D - :taylormade-small: Mini Brnr - Mitsubish Kai'li White

3w - :callaway-small: XR-16 - Fujikura Speeder

3h/4h - :ping-small: G430 - Mitsubish Kai'li White

5i - AW - :taylormade-small: OG P-790s - KBS Tour Stiff

56 - :mizuno-small: 56deg Wedge

60 - :titleist-small: Vokey SM6 Steel Gray M Grind

Putter - OG Ram Zebra in White

Since I have been using the Maxfli Tour X I started coloring the big arrow for clarity during the testing videos. Now I just do it because it is easier to aim and I always know which ball is mine.

Driver :taylormade-small: Sim Max2

Hybrids :ping-small: G430 2, 3, 4

Irons :srixon-small: ZX4 6-PW

Wedges :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 50, 54, 58

Putter :odyssey-small: 2Ball Ten ArmLock

Golf cart MGI Zip Navigator

:Arccos:

Used to use 3 dot triangle (for over 10 years I never saw another one) then I came across one that was same make/model/number as me but had scuffs I didn’t put there within a couple yards of my ball in the rough. Had a brief talk with the owner about our similar markings and have been looking for a replacement ever since. Have been just noting the number lately. I DO keep a ball randomly marked and NOT matching what is in my bag for a specific hole on a certain course. Guy built a house in the “slice zone” and often came out to harass and berate golfers that dared to miss right and land one in his yard. He came running up to me with said “plausible deniability” ball and started yelling. I pulled a dozen similarly marked Bridgestone BXS out of my bag and said “I don’t play that ball, see!” Look on his face was priceless.  Bro tells me the gent has passed on, but now the course has a lady that puts her baby in a stroller and walks the edges of the holes near the road that are shielded by trees. They not visible from the tees. She yells at golfers that land a ball anywhere near her. Bro had a run in with her, he apologized nicely 5 times and she kept gnawing at the bone. Finally he said, “ lady, I apologized 5 times, what more do you want? Go $&@* yourself!”

To make white ones easier to find, I took a magic marker, bright red, and just slathered on a rectangle about 1 inch by .25 inch, 4 or 5 swipes wide.  Or a longer stripe 3 swipes wide.  I tell co-players, mine has red lipstick.  Never mind little dots or initials.

#1  PXG 0211 10.5 deg, Evnflo Riptide CB 40 gram A flex.

3W: Callaway Steelhead Xr,  Tensei Blue CK 55 gram A flex.

5W : Titleist TSi 1,    Aldila Ascent 40 regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC Fli-Hi 3i 18 degree, Recoil 95 reg flex.

4 iron:  GFF Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree forged hollow body,  Aerotech Steelfiber 😍😃💥.

5 Hybrid: Mizuno (2017) JPX Fli-Hi wave tech, Recoil ESX 460 reg flex.

Irons: 6 - PW: Ping I 500, on Recoil Smacwrap ES 760, reg flex.

Wedges: 2 x Mizuno S5 52/09.  1@ 50 deg, 1@ 54 deg; New (July 2024) Mizu ES 21, 58 x 08, jet black.

Chipper: Don Martin "Up n In" brass/bronze. 🙂

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab "R" Ball, face balanced, with 2 piece Stroke Lab multi material shaft.🙃💘

I put capital letters with my initials ….GEH 

Taylormade  Stealth 2  10.5*   Fujikura Ventus 5 S (tipped an inch)  @ upright @9.75*

Taylormade Stealth 2    HL 16.5* 3 wood Fujikura Ventus     6 S 

Taylormade Stealth 2   7 wood   Fujikura Ventus   7 S

Taylormade P7MC  5-PW  Aerotech Steelfiber  I 95 gm  R 

Tileist SM09 54 & 60* wedges

Ping Anser    

Bridgestone BXS         

I started doing this some years ago because I wanted something unique. It's always around the number and it's always five little lines attached. Color sometimes changes depending on how I'm playing. (Maybe a little 'sticious.) Also if I need to hit a provisional, I make sure to use a different color than the original since I always use the same balls. 

20240517_180012.jpg

Nicholas Gavel ,12 HCP, Nova Scotia, Canada 

On 5/17/2024 at 8:11 AM, MH12 said:

I use Maxfli tours. I have yet to play with anyone else using them. I have converted a few to the trifli and softfli, but no tours yet. 

I play the Straightfli, after playing the Softfli for a few seasons. Never have played the the Tour. The Tour is already marked on the "equator", having been done at the factory...

Driver-Ping g410 SFT, 3W-Callaway Diablo Octane, Hybrids-Snake Eyes Viper 18*+ 21*, Irons-GigaGolf Reva Hybrid Irons 24*- 46*, Wedges-Cleveland CBX2's 50*54*58*, Putter-Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11c

It was a lot easier to mark my golf balls back in the days of balata.  Usually only took a couple of swings and I'd have a big smile on it.  Easy to identify!

I use a triangle around the number now.  image.png.b6cd5456c8856e2f2de9a4fc933eb55f.png

-XY

:redrooster: Sussex and Rain Rooster
:titleist-small: ProV1X
:taylormade-small: QI10 LS
:callaway-small: Epic Flash 3-wood
:taylormade-small: 4H Stealth 2, stiff
:ping-small: i525, 6 - W, 1 degree flat, ProjectX 5.5 110 g shafts
:vokey-small: SM10 52, 56, 60
:L.A.B.: DF3 Broomstick
:ping-small: Ping Pioneer Cart Bag
MGI electric cart

On 5/17/2024 at 7:06 AM, Bucketnative said:

I generally keep a yellow ball of the same model for provisionals.  

I think that's a great idea!  

-XY

MGI electric cart

On 5/13/2024 at 5:38 PM, brogies said:

I've always been intrigued by how people, especially pros, mark their golf balls. For the last couple years, I've written a simple "AG" (my initials) to the top right of the ball logo. I'm a bit of a minimalist I guess.

Now, all you psychos, show off your elaborate ball markings and explain the reasoning or significance!

IMG_3486.jpg.c3e416ff81c243a64a065f5f586f3c17.jpg

If you place an "R" between the A and G, you'd have my way of identifying most of my shots, if not my ball. 

Partner 1: "Has X hit yet?"

Me: "ARG!!!!

Partner 2: "Yup, he just hit."

-XY

MGI electric cart

On 5/14/2024 at 5:40 AM, DaveP043 said:

A friend, a D-3 golf coach, tells his players to mark only one side of their ball.  There will be very rare occasions when they need to lift it to ID it, but it will happen more often than if they mark both sides.  Even more rare, there are time when it will have a glob of mud on it.  You can't clean a ball when you've lifted it to ID it, but you CAN replace it in almost any orientation, per Clarification 14.2c/1.  So assuming you need to lift a ball to ID it, you ARE allowed to rotate that ball so that you're not going to make contact with the glob of mud.  No doubt this is a miniscule advantage, but it IS an advantage, and completely within the Rules.

I mark my golf balls with widely spaced black dots on each side of the number, the dots essentially under each end of the Snell Golf (or Titleist or Taylormade) logo.  No real reason, its just the way I've done it starting in the days when you used a golf pencil to kind of "drill" the dots into the balata cover.

Johnson on The Golf Channel said the pros like to hit the mud with their club because it will disperse the mud and be less likely to fly offline.  I don't know if that's true, but I usually just hit my normal worm burner and it takes care of the mud problem.

-XY

MGI electric cart