Testers Wanted: Newton Driver Shafts ×

PXG Gen 7 Irons - 2024 Forum Review

Congratulations all!  Have fun!

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

8 hours ago, 3Putt4Double said:

Not to steer off topic but how did u come up with that name "nutdriver" 🤣..I have to start being more original!.. ok, back to all things Gen 7

I told a buddy of mine about this test today and he pointed out how original I was.. I hadn’t even thought about it till then.

I have a cobra rad speed driver, cobra fly z 3 and 5 wood, taylormade m1 irons (5-PW), Top Flite Gamer wedges (52,56,60), and odyssey white ice putter. When I’m playing to keep score I typically play the Maxfli Tour X. When just getting a round in with friends or scrambling I play whatever I might find on the course or might find at the bottom of my bag.

This one is very cool, excited to follow along as I’ve never played PXG anything before. 

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi 3 10* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X 

Fairway/Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSi 2 15* & 18* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X, AD IZ 95X

Irons: :taylormade-small: P790 4i, P770 5-7i, P7MC 8-P, $ Taper 120

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 52F/54 S, 58 M w/ Modus 125

Putter:  :cameron-small:  California Hollywood 34" Circle H

19 minutes ago, GolfSpy AFG said:

I’ll echo Josh’s comments here.  It’s early, but PXG has been incredible to work with to date.  They literally had all of our testers scheduled for fittings within hours of being provided the information, and that’s despite being in the midst of the official product launch of both the Gen 7 and Black Ops irons, and the Sugar Daddy wedges.  A few of us have been fit now, and I’m really looking forward to this discussion as we share the experiences.

Oh, and speaking of which, here’s the link to PXG where you can read up on the tech in what PXG is calling “the greatest leap forward in irons technology and performance in PXG history.”

https://www.pxg.com/en-us

Plus the main site has 3 first look articles on the Gen 7, Black Ops, and SD iii wedges up to look through. Nice write ups too.

Driver: :mizuno-small: STMax 230 10.5*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Fairways: :Sub70: 949x 3w / 5w, 15* / 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Hybrids: :Sub70: 939x 4h, 21*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 80g Hybrid
Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: S23, 54* & 60*, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter:
Maltby_Logo.jpg.7f7f2f102dcb7b289e419805910e4aab.jpg Moment X Tour @ 35" & 71*, Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, White/Red
Ball: :maxfli: Tour CG
Technology:
VortexGolf_Logo.jpg.2ad1215c7b1aa2ccf8d062a73bc72142.jpg Anarch Rangefinder, :ShotScope: V5 w/ Tags Shot Tracking.

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/65161-vortex-optics-rangefinders-2024-member-test/?do=findComment&comment=1089247

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/classifieds/ - DON'T FORGET ABOUT THE CLASSIFIEDS!!!!

3 minutes ago, Shrek74 said:

Plus the main site has 3 first look articles on the Gen 7, Black Ops, and SD iii wedges up to look through. Nice write ups too.

Thank you!  Hadn’t seen that (damn this day job).

Here’s the link to that article:

https://mygolfspy.com/news-opinion/first-look/pxg-0311-gen7-p-and-xp-irons-have-quantumcor-technology/

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Qi10 7w, 21, :Fuji: Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff 

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Accra TZ 95 stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, 60 T Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :EVNROLL: EV8

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

Congrats testers, can’t wait to see the testing results on these irons. 
Great to see PXG on point when it comes to fittings etc. 

That right there is an excellent start for the testers. 

Titleist TRS Driver, Titleist TSR 3 Wood, Titleist TRS 2 Hybrid, Titleist T300 irons, Vokey SM9 wedges 56 - 60, Scotty Cameron putter. 

20 minutes ago, Irish-Assassin said:

Congrats testers, can’t wait to see the testing results on these irons. 
Great to see PXG on point when it comes to fittings etc. 

That right there is an excellent start for the testers. 

Super impressed with the process so far!  

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

7 hours ago, Josh Parker said:

I'm going to be adding to my Intro in the next day or so but wanted to give an update after doing my fitting yesterday.  PXG has been nothing short of amazing and 100% on top of everything from the get-go.  I was contacted within a day of finding out, fitting set up for the following day and my fitter reached out the morning of to discuss my game and goals.  

I had hoped to do an outdoor fitting to see full ball flight but they were several weeks out on that, so I took the opening at Golfinity.  They are only about 20 minutes from the house and I have heard about them but hadn't ever been.  This place is awesome!  2 stories of hitting bays with every LM available, including a Robogolf Pro.  

20240806_124810(1).jpg.ca0082d9704020b8a010ac5eec4ba7b7.jpg

More to come on the specifics of the fitting and the new tech in the Gen 7.  

Can't wait to hear about it!

Driver: :titleist-small: GT3 9|Tour AD-UB 6S (testing in progress)

Fairways: :titleist-small: GT2 15 & 18|Tour AD-UB 7S (testing in progress) |:cobra-small: Aerojet Max 7|Kai'Li White 70X

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H|MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW|KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :titleist-small: Vokey SM10 52.12F|56.12D|True Temper Vokey Wedge Flex

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour & :titleist-small: ProV1

#LeftyGang

Titleist GT Long Game Test (Link Here)

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

9 hours ago, Josh Parker said:

I'm going to be adding to my Intro in the next day or so but wanted to give an update after doing my fitting yesterday.  PXG has been nothing short of amazing and 100% on top of everything from the get-go.  I was contacted within a day of finding out, fitting set up for the following day and my fitter reached out the morning of to discuss my game and goals.  

I had hoped to do an outdoor fitting to see full ball flight but they were several weeks out on that, so I took the opening at Golfinity.  They are only about 20 minutes from the house and I have heard about them but hadn't ever been.  This place is awesome!  2 stories of hitting bays with every LM available, including a Robogolf Pro.  

20240806_124810(1).jpg.ca0082d9704020b8a010ac5eec4ba7b7.jpg

More to come on the specifics of the fitting and the new tech in the Gen 7.  

Can't wait for the pics and info!

:PXG:Bubba Ivy 

I have updated my info to share about the fitting process HERE

I know a few have asked about it.  

@Shrek74 @GolfSpy_KFT

40 minutes ago, Josh Parker said:

@Shrek74 @GolfSpy_KFT

Sounds like a great fitting. Can’t wait to see them in your hands. 

:titelist-small:  TSR 3  9.0  Autoflex 405x - Official Tester 2024

:titelist-small:  TSi 3  15.0 GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:ping-small: Utility 2 Iron 18.0 - Nippon NS Pro 650GH Stiff /  :titelist-small: TS3  21 Hybrid Tensei AV Blue 65 HY Stiff

:Takomo:  4 - 9 101T Irons - KBS Tour Lite Stiff - Official Tester 2023

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 46 F - 10 BV105 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 52 F - 12 Nippon NS Pro 950 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey Forged (Japan) 56 M - 10  DG S200

:taylormade-small: MG3 60 - 12 - Nippon NS Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff

image.gif.2bc8a27613a423a3721fd3b955802132.gif  Champions Choice Newport 2+ Button Back - 35”  /  Pistolini Plus

:srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

:titelist-small: Players 4 bag  image.png.939559f85230fe16347ecf2765438915.png    :redrooster:

:Arccos: Official Tester - 2021 & Current Club Sensor User

52 minutes ago, Josh Parker said:

@Shrek74 @GolfSpy_KFT

I'm confused.. On the monitor all of ur shots were in the same area on the fairway.. Aren't they suppose to be one in the fairway, 4 in the rough, 3 in the sand, and 22 in the tree line? Maybe I've been doing it wrong 🤦

Edited by 3Putt4Double

:PXG:Bubba Ivy 

Crazy excited to follow along on this thread!  Having done a PXG fit earlier this year to try out both the new Black Ops driver and their entire lineup of irons, I walked away VERY impressed with both the fitting and the clubs.  Very interested to see where these Gen 7's land for the testers.  

Good luck, all!

Driver - Callaway Ai Smoke Max - 9* - Draw setting; Maltby UL (Otto Phlex)
5/7 Wood - Takomo Ignis
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*) (currently benched)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*/DF3 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

57 minutes ago, 3Putt4Double said:

I'm confused.. On the monitor all of ur shots were in the same area on the fairway.. Aren't they suppose to be one in the fairway, 4 in the rough, 3 in the sand, and 22 in the tree line? Maybe I've been doing it wrong 🤦

Haha!  Thats the purpose of a good fitting.  Make it a one way miss.  Looking forward to seeing how it goes for you tomorrow!

Congrats and great job so far guys.  Dont make these things sound too good…..i don’t need new irons….i don’t need new irons….

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

6 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Congrats and great job so far guys.  Dont make these things sound too good…..i don’t need new irons….i don’t need new irons….

giphy(8).gif.126255a7586601e0304f893b1d20992c.gif

9 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I don't remember you ever needing any new clubs but...

giphy.webp

Driver: Titleist GT3 w/ GD Tour AD VF 6S (Testing in progress)
3 & 5 Woods: Titleist GT3 w/ GD Tour AD VF 7S (Testing in progress)
Hybrids: 19 and 22 degree PXG 0317XF Gen 4 w/ Project X Evenflow Riptide 80g
Irons: 5-PW PXG 0311P Gen 4 w/ KBS Tour 120
Wedges: Indi 50 FLX, 54 FLX, 58 ATK w/ KBS Wedge 610 (Official Review)
Putter: PXG Battle Ready Blackjack, 36.5”, Double Bend neck

Titleist GT Long Game Testing

On 8/5/2024 at 3:37 PM, Josh Parker said:

Introduction:

Hello Spies and a big thank you to PXG for this amazing opportunity!  My name is Josh just as the screen name suggest and I can’t wait to get this testing going with the PXG irons.  I am out of the Austin, Texas area and practically play golf year-round.  I joke around with the wife by saying that my home course practically pays me to play with the amount I am out there. (She puts up with my habit somehow) 

golf1.jpg.67891b4d766c98e4ec34b066b468134c.jpg

I have two smaller children (8 and 3) and spend as much time as possible with them.  They both love to get on the course and help dad out with filling divots or just riding around on the course looking at the deer.  Neither of the kids are super interested in golf yet but have shown some interest and I am hoping that they decide to enjoy the game at some point.  

When I’m not golfing, I am doing Real Estate and just started up my construction company which is what my background was prior to real estate.  What can I say, I like to stay busy.  Enough of the small talk, let’s get to why we are all on this site.  The Golf!  I am currently around a 4 handicap with some big goals for the remainder of the year.  The biggest of them, breaking 70.  I have hit 70 twice but haven’t broken that magic number yet and dang it, I want that badge! 

20240716_152846.jpg.2754e2aea0699baaf4e696a6e2b3f578.jpg

What do I know about PXG?  Well, I know that they like to make some noise in this industry and shake things up.  They treat our Military and First Responders great and that alone is something I wish more companies did!  They have always been a little more on the expensive side and some have said that they are all for show.  So here is what I found on their website:  

SIMPLY PUT, PXG CLUBS ARE THE DUCK'S NUTS*

*A colloquial but most compelling way to describe the world’s sexiest, most forgiving golf clubs that launch higher, go farther, feel softer and have a sweet spot the size of Texas.

I would say those are some mighty large claims and as someone from Texas….. well let’s just say there are plenty of statements about Texas.  Ha

So, what can we expect from these statements and what will we see during testing? 

1.      While they claim to have a sweet spot the size of Texas, will that equate to tighter dispersion than my current gamers? (Srixon MKii ZX5’s and ZX7’s)  I will be using my Flightscope Mevo at the range to test this out as well as on the course testing.

2.      How does the fitting compare to other fittings I have had in the past?  Do they go thru a certain process?  What questions are asked?

3.      As a golfer who has struggled to get the ball flight higher, will the polymer filled clubs accomplish this?  Does their claim of being a high launch club stand true?

4.      Can the PXG clubs beat out the gamers and help me hit the goal of breaking 70?

20240728_152915.jpg.f7a11d30714fe30ab6a673785ec5e7bf.jpg

If anyone has anything specific that they would like to see tested, please don’t hesitate to ask. 

Fitting: 10 of 10

PXG is known for "The Ultimate Fitting Experience" and with over 200 locations it would be easy to assume that is true.  They also have about 22 stand-alone fitting studios that from the photos and videos I have seen are a golfer's dream come true.  To check those locations out, feel free to click HERE  

The entire process has been flawless, and I made a comment earlier about how on top of it, PXG has been.  From being notified about the test to having the fitting set up was in a whole 2-day span and they have yet to disappoint.  

I did not have the ability to go to a satellite location as the closest one was 3 hours away and I wanted to get this rolling.  I have 3 locations within 30 minutes of the house and the outdoor one was almost a month out.  I chose to do my fitting at a local place called Golfinity which is a 2 story lounge with 20 hitting bays, putting green, bars and Robogolf Pro.  

20240806_124810(1).jpg.7f8f6e10f7b9ed07dba0fa7dd4209e67.jpg

I walked in and was greeted by the staff and told them I was there for the PXG fitting and they directed me to the side of the building where the PXG fitter was working with another golfer.  

My fitter Gavin had reached out to me in the morning of my fitting, and we had a good 20-minute conversation on my goals, what clubs/shafts I was using, and what my ideal shot shape would be, amongst other things, so I was ready to get warmed up and jump right in to the fitting.  He came and introduced himself and proceeded to finish up with the prior golfer.  As I sat there waiting "patiently by the way" they had all of the PXG club heads out to take a look at. 

20240806_123952.jpg.82d3a854123607f28b7e3079fb6f6c11.jpg

20240806_131020.jpg.df11a8dcfbb275dfe3633da08ecbcc55.jpg

Once the prior fitting had been completed, it was go time for my fitting.  Gavin chatted about the new technology and how PXG's new Gen 7 clubs max out the C.O.R. with the USGA limit, feature the new QuantumCOR technology, a new Titanium Bezel Technology, and the thinnest face.  They have gone away from the famous Tungsten weight in the back with all the screws and instead have placed it behind the face and at the toe.  This has created better CG and boosting the MOI to add forgiveness.  

20240806_132534.jpg.d845b5ba5352f4752dbd2b056fb9ed34.jpg

After that process we jumped in to hitting clubs.  We started with steel shafts and worked through about a half dozen and while some of them were producing decent results, neither of us were quite happy, so we proceeded to move to graphite.  During this process, Gavin shared his knowledge of fittings and what he looked for in optimizing clubs for each golfer that he fits.  We then proceeded to go to graphite shafts and started off a little heavier and then shockingly went super light.  

I am waiting on the TM data to be emailed over and will add that once I have it but I can say that Gavin was more thorough than any other fitting I have been too.  We landed on a few options that "could have" worked and he wasn't satisfied with them and we kept pushing through until we were both happy with the data.  

20240806_141030.jpg.0b0da64765ee2fec602fb827cececb8d.jpg

I will wait to post final specs on the build once I have them in hand from PXG but wanted to get this out there for everyone on just how great the fitting experience was with Gavin and PXG.  

Thanks for the fitting information. Enjoy your testing experience!

PXG 0211

15* Taylormade Sim 2 max

18* hybrid (Taylormade)

22* hybrid (Adams)

25* hybrid (Tour edge)

irons - Callaway Big Bertha 2002 (It's a long story!)

Putter - Odyssey AI one 2 ball DB 35¨

3 hours ago, Josh Parker said:

@Shrek74 @GolfSpy_KFT

Ok, I'm guessing P heads with Recoil Dart shafts. 🙂

Driver: :mizuno-small: STMax 230 10.5*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Fairways: :Sub70: 949x 3w / 5w, 15* / 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Hybrids: :Sub70: 939x 4h, 21*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 80g Hybrid
Putter:
Maltby_Logo.jpg.7f7f2f102dcb7b289e419805910e4aab.jpg Moment X Tour @ 35" & 71*, Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, White/Red
Technology:
VortexGolf_Logo.jpg.2ad1215c7b1aa2ccf8d062a73bc72142.jpg Anarch Rangefinder, :ShotScope: V5 w/ Tags Shot Tracking.

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/65161-vortex-optics-rangefinders-2024-member-test/?do=findComment&comment=1089247

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/classifieds/ - DON'T FORGET ABOUT THE CLASSIFIEDS!!!!

45 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

do-it.jpg

Putter:
Technology:

7 hours ago, Shrek74 said:

Ok, I'm guessing P heads with Recoil Dart shafts. 🙂

Good eyes!  

• GolfSpy_APH changed the title to PXG Gen 7 Irons - 2024 Forum Review

Wow, congrats guys! Give it horns and just enjoy it!!

MY WITB list

Bag: Adidas 7 way stand bag

Cart: :Clicgear: Model 3

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth 9°

FW: :wilson_staff_small: D9 Fairway 

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: Launcher

Irons: :wilson_staff_small: D9 4 - PW

Wedges: :ping-small: S159 - 50deg, 54deg, 60deg

Putter: :taylormade-small: Kia Ma Daytona

Ball:  :taylormade-small:Soft Response,  :srixon-small: AD333, :callaway-small: Supersoft

2024 Tester - :ping-small: S159 wedges. See my review here:

I just got the TM data from my fitter along with final specs for the build.  I will upload the data this afternoon. 

Here are my specs for this test. I'm guessing there is some variances in clubhead weight vs my Srixons and that's why we are seeing a different fitting outcome. I will be doing a little research as it's interesting to me. 

Specs

GEN 7 - 0311 P – 5i-GW – ½” over STD – Std SW – Recoil 75 – Stiff – Tour Velvet Cord. SW D1.

7 hours ago, Josh Parker said:

Good eyes!  

Haha, it was a total guess. I thought the P head since you're a good player, and the Darts since you mentioned graphite and going to opposite end of the weight scale. I'll be curious to your thoughts on the shafts as I was thinking of getting a set of 0211's with those shafts since the Hero prices are nuts ($80/club).

Putter:
Technology:

39 minutes ago, Shrek74 said:

Haha, it was a total guess. I thought the P head since you're a good player, and the Darts since you mentioned graphite and going to opposite end of the weight scale. I'll be curious to your thoughts on the shafts as I was thinking of getting a set of 0211's with those shafts since the Hero prices are nuts ($80/club).

Yeah, I'm interested to see how they do. It's a much lighter swing weight than I have been fit in to.  

Just now, Josh Parker said:

Yeah, I'm interested to see how they do. It's a much lighter swing weight than I have been fit in to.  

I went from about a D4-5 in my Takomo's to a D1.5 in my Mizuno's. Such a different feel, but in a good way. I feel like the irons are much easier to get going and control versus the "sledgehammer" feel of the heavier ones. Especially as the round goes on.

Putter:
Technology:

15 hours ago, Josh Parker said:

giphy(8).gif.126255a7586601e0304f893b1d20992c.gif

I don't need new irons....but I want new irons 🤣

Driver: :titleist-small: GT3 9|Tour AD-UB 6S (testing in progress)

Fairways: :titleist-small: GT2 15 & 18|Tour AD-UB 7S (testing in progress) |:cobra-small: Aerojet Max 7|Kai'Li White 70X

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H|MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW|KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :titleist-small: Vokey SM10 52.12F|56.12D|True Temper Vokey Wedge Flex

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour & :titleist-small: ProV1

#LeftyGang

Titleist GT Long Game Test (Link Here)

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)