Testers Announced: PXG Allan Putter

Placeholder

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

INTRO:
Hi Fellow Spies!

I would first like to thank PXG for supplying the Allan putters for our testing, and to MGS, without whom we would never get to participate in these tests.

My name is Bill Akins.  I'm married to my best friend, Hollie.  Our daughter is Jessica and has just recently graduated from UGA and is taking some time off before heading off to get her Master's degree in Nursing.  We live at Lake Lanier in Buford, GA about 35 miles north of Atlanta.  I have lived in Georgia and on the north side of Atlanta most of my life.  I moved to East Texas in the late 90's for a few years, then back to Georgia.  I moved to Colorado and started my own company, with airlines as most of our customers.  That went great until 9/11 and airlines were grounded and not spending a penny to expand their enterprise. So, back to Georgia.

For work, I am the Enterprise Cloud Architect for a large hospital system in Georgia, closely related to a university. I have been there (except when I quit and moved to Colorado) for over 25 years.  I've been golfing for only about 3 years now.  I don't get to play often, so I am still trying to break 100. I was playing in a Spark league, but the courses close to me quit participating, so my weekly game stopped. I have the good fortune of having a nice-sized area in my basement with 12' ceilings, so I built a golf simulator.

PXL_20240120_191859920.jpg.440504b1987212b3823fcf2d49eecaf5.jpg

It's not only fun but helps me keep my swing.  It's a great place to blow off steam between the 382 Zoom calls I must endure daily.  And, being a tech geek, I like the gadgets and data.

PXL_20230831_124746694.jpg.76a4b648933595362a009d20a422ef2a.jpg

Me (L) and my buddy Bill (R) just before we tee off at Heritage Golf Links in Tucker, GA.

For fun, in addition to golf, I like to be outside. I enjoy hiking with my wife.  There are a lot of places nearby and in the foothills of the North Georgia mountains for great day hikes.  Longer hikes can start out at the end of the Appalachian Trail and go as far as Maine.  I have only hiked the first 85 miles of the AT.  I was into mountain climbing for a while, but that required a lot of travel from Georgia and time away from family.  I enjoy fishing occasionally and am fortunate enough to live near a 58 sq mile lake.  We used to have a boat, but no longer.  The two happiest days of boat ownership are the day you buy your boat and the day you sell your boat!

Wifey.jpg.187dab8c9086f790fd3149f17b903e96.jpg  

Wifey & I on a hike

AT.jpg.9810ba7a415c3f2804564146a166bf51.jpg
Me (R) and my buddy Jimmy (L) on the AT

MtShuksan.jpg.486a7eb1db428ecf57da7f2dd2640c6a.jpg
Me on Mt. Shuksan, WA

I recently returned from a mission trip to Nicaragua to help get clean, running water to a community of >120 homes in Chinandega.  It was a lot of manual digging 3' deep ditches, 1' wide.  It was a rewarding experience and I plan to return next year.  It wasn't all hard work though, we got to climb Cerro Negro volcano.

CerroNegro.jpg.fa9569e1b9cdab3cb08b8bfebc80ed27.jpg

The top of Cerro Negro, not bad for an old, fat guy!  🙂

Clubs:
I am currently playing Cobra AeroJet irons (5-PW), Cobra RadSpeed XB driver, 4 & 5 hybrid, Cobra Baffler 3 wood, Vokey Spin Milled 56°, 60°, and an Odyssey White Hot Stroke Lab OG #7 putter.

PXL_20240914_1943446592.jpg.43ea86c7f4a415cccf7bdcdcf392a8bb.jpg

I am looking forward to testing this Allan putter.  The balance is completely different than my putter, or any other I have tried.  I've also never been fitted for a putter before, this is exciting!  Thank you again to MGS and PXG!

Edited by TheOther1

Driver: :cobra-small: Cobra RADSpeed XB 10.5° Motore X F3

Fairway: :cobra-small: Cobra 15.5° 3/F Baffler Rail F

Hybrid: :cobra-small: Cobra RAD Speed 21° 4 Hybrid

Cobra RAD Speed 24° 5 Hybrid 

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra Aero Jet 5 - PW, GW

Wedges: :vokey-small: Spin Milled 56°, 60°

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot Stroke Lab OG #7

Bag: 1622150773421.jpg.867df9e5987ee9b79cc36f4c70090b01.jpg Big Max 14.0 Hybrid

Ball: :titleist-small: Titleist Velocity

Shoes: :footjoy-small: FJ Flex

Hello all, my name is Tom. I’m a lifelong resident of Lafayette, Indiana. I like being outdoors- golf, mountain biking, and hiking are my favorite activities. It can be tough to do those things, though, because of life… I’ve been playing golf since the mid-1990s. I play when I can- maybe a time or two per month during the summer. My scores average right around 100. I’m not very competitive in my nature. I play golf to relax and have fun.

I was thrilled to receive a notification of being chosen as a tester of the PXG Allan putter! I do not have any PXG equipment. I am very aware of the brand, but honestly, the prices on their stuff are well beyond my budget. $200 to $450 for a putter? $300 to $650 for a driver? $125 for a polo shirt? Nope, sorry, that’s simply not possible for me. But man, the chance to use one of these putters that makes some great claims, now I am definitely interested in that!

The PXG website makes some impressive comments about this putter. “Technology that keeps your putter face square and on target” and “amazingly effective for players of all abilities and all stroke types” and “PXG’s new Allan Putter performs so well, it feels like magic” are the three that caught my attention. I read everything on the page about the Allan. There appear to be many options to customize the putter so that it “feels like a hand-tailored Italian suit”. I’m not big on dressing up, but I do like to customize things so that they are how I like them, so I’m getting more and more excited with this idea.

I looked through my stats since August of 2022. I see that I am averaging 2.1 putts per hole. I feel like I’m decent with my current Odyssey Versa 2-Ball putter. (Garmin tells me that I’m above average in this portion of my game.) It was a gift from a friend, and I really do like it. Maybe it’s partly sentimental, but I’ve made some good long-distance putts with it. He is the one that I golfed with most often. He could out-drive me, but I was able to keep things close with a better short game. He has since moved out west, but I still have the putter!

Soon I will have an experience (or is it an experiment?) like I’ve never had before. A custom fitting for a high-dollar club. The fitting has been scheduled for September 17. Temperatures (and work) are cooling off, so I am going to get out on the course to see how this putter can help my game. My wife has been driving the cart for me more lately, so I have a photographer. She also loves numbers, so she is excited to see if I can lower my putts per hole number. I’ve got a spreadsheet with some basic stats to compare the before and after.  

Can the Allan live up to the hype? Lower putts per hole is the only thing that matters to me with this club. As I’ve already said, I’m excited to use the club because I consider it a high-dollar item. Does the price lead to better results? The website says very nice stuff. But, honestly, nobody is going to make a product, create a flashy website, and promote their "amazing" new item just to tell you that’s it only mediocre. Actions speak louder than words. The proof is in the pudding. “Nobody makes golf clubs the way we do. Period.” Will Allan earn a spot in my bag? We shall see!

Edited by VernL4

:taylormade-small: M6 clubs in the bag and a GARMIN Fenix 7 on the wrist!

Hello spies!

Thanks for stopping by my introduction post for the PXG Allen test.

First, I would like to start off by thanking the MGS staff for selecting me for this test. The testing opportunities on this forum are a unique way of allowing everyday golfers to test gear and share their experience without having a marketing twist to it. I’m very excited to get things started and hopefully provide some of my fellow spies with some insights on my experience with what most golfers see as PXG's response to the popularity of the L.A.B. Golf putters.

About me:

My name is Derek and I live in the North Phoenix/North Scottsdale area. As with most Arizonans, I am a Midwest transplant (Illinois). I grew up in the East Valley of the Phoenix Metro area and then spent nearly twelve years in Tucson, before finally making it back to Phoenix in 2021. When I left for college in 2009, I expected to be back in Phoenix within a few months of graduating, but Tucson has this weird Hotel California way of sucking people in. I love living in Arizona for many reasons, but one new reason is how readily living here fuels my recent obsession with golf.

IMG_6430-Copy.JPEG.94bf4f832befa334762dc49707577b10.JPEG

(Me off the coast of South Carolina April 2024)

To bank roll my increasingly troubling golf habits I work in the healthcare industry working on integration of artificial intelligence to automate financial and clinical workstreams. It is interesting work, especially since AI has just gotten to the point of being commercially viable so I get to be on the forefront of finding solutions to complex problems.

I’m a bit of a busy body so when I’m not working, I am generally doing something related to my ever-expanding list of hobbies/interests. For about three years now I’ve been training in Brazilian jiu jitsu two to three times a week. I have to say that this has helped my golf game more than I would have expected. I generally hit the driving range every weekend, and in weeks where I haven’t trained in BJJ as much I feel much stiffer and out of sync.

Golf Game:

Enough about the boring stuff, let’s talk golf. I started playing golf in my early teens. My dad and uncle would play sometimes and introduced me to it. I never got super into it, and for my first couple years of college I didn’t even have clubs with me. For the past 15 years I would go golf ever so often or head to the driving range, but I was by no means an avid golfer. Then came the bachelor party.

BPGolf_label.jpg.b2f46b9271911f989d60849a35f2c47c.jpg

(Jan 2024 Bachelor party golf event, I’m labeled with the red arrow…the short guy, you can’t miss me)

In January of this year, I got to celebrate the marriage of one of my closest friends. One of the team-based events during the three-day bachelor party was an 18-hole scramble with each hole having special rules and potential bonus points. Prior to this round, I hadn’t played a full round of golf since 2020. I had such a blast that three weeks later I was getting fit for new clubs to replace the starter set I had been playing since high school. I've played 20 rounds since then and will likely finish the year with about 30 rounds on the books.

Testing Focus

To start, I'll be doing my best to let all of you how the ball rolls with the Allen. this wouldn't be a putter test if that wasn't the first question, right? Second, and I'll try to address the elephant in the room... how does the Allen compare to the L.A.B Golf putters?

My review will include information about my experience with both my L.A.B. Golf DF3 and the PXG Allen.

IMG_7260.JPEG.850d565486886936e78f13974db639d6.JPEG

(My custom DF3)

I'm looking forward to getting this test going and answering any questions that come up from my fellow spies. If you have anything specific you want answered, please don't hesitate to tag me in the thread or DM me.

Thanks,

Derek

Edited by musicalmedicine

:ping-small: G430 MAX 10.5º Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore+ 6 X

:ping-small:  G430 MAX 5 Wood Tour 2.0 Chrome 65 S shaft

:ping-small: G430 MAX 4 Hybrid Tour 2.0 Chrome 85 S Shaft

:ping-small: G430 5i - PW :kbs: Tour-V S shafts

:ping-small: G430 45º & 50º :kbs: Tour-V S shafts

:ping-small: Glide Pro Forged 56º S-10° :truetemper: Dynamic Gold S300 shaft

:ping-small: S159 60° H-8° :truetemper: Dynamic Gold S300 shaft

:L.A.B.: DF3 :accra: shaft

Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore+ review

Congrats!  I will be keeping up with this one for sure.

Driver: Callaway Epic

Irons: 4-PW Callaway Apex 

Wedges: 1 Vokey in 52, 1 Callaway in 60, and a Callaway in 56

Putter:  All over the place, Titleist SC Circa 62 model 3 mostly in the bag.

Congratulations.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

Congratulations testers, will be curious to see if the PXG lives up to the claims!

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Stealth 3 wood

Titleist U510 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

Congratulations to those selected so far!  It must be a tight race to select the other 2!

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

Congrats testers! Putters are one of those pieces of equipment that people love to tinker with constantly. I’ll be curious how the PXG compares to your current gamers!

Current WITB:

Driver:                      image.png.ad4d66f798557c86ee934344d1a24ed2.png       Paradym 10.5 Ventus Black 6S (currently Testing AI Smoke🔹🔹🔹)

Fairway:                   image.png.3077938d887c52577470dba42554f0aa.png     ST-Z 230 3-Wood (15°) HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 60 Official Test

Hybrid:                    image.png.a874a9a429fd132acae64968308d6a89.png     ST-Z 230 Hybrid (19°) Ventus Blue HB-8 Official Test

Irons:                       image.png.a874a9a429fd132acae64968308d6a89.png     MP-18 MMC (4-9)

Wedges:     image.png.8641af187e8958a5ff8c3c2146b1fc7c.png  Vokey SM8 (46.10F, 50.12F, 54.14F, 58.12D)

Putter:                image.png.a85c45cc6c173613e90f345a17c689b4.png      Select Squareback 2 34.5 Ping Corded 88G PP58 grip double taped

Ball:                       image.png.c4e52864bdd9535caa79ae03a9376870.png        Pro-V1

Reviews:

2023 Red Rooster Sussex Glove Official Forum Test

2023 Mizuno Long Game Official Forum Test

2024 Skytrak+ Official Forum Test

Congratulations to this group of testers.

Looking forward to your comments and reviews on these to see how they may compare to other similar "zero or low torque" putters in the marketplace.

Driver & Fairway: :titleist-small: Titleist TSR3 10 degree - :Fuji: Ventus TR Blue & :titleist-small: TSR3 15 - :projectx: Hzrdus Black Gen 4 

Hybrid: :titleist-small: TSR2 21 degree - :projectx: Hzrdus Black Gen 4

Irons: :titleist-small: Titleist T200 3G (4) & T150 - (5-G) - :projectx: Project X LZ 

Wedges: :vokey-small: Vokey SM8 54, and 58

Putter: :cameron-small: Cameron Phantom X 7.5

Ball: :titleist-small: Pro V1 & :maxfli: Maxfli Tour

Link to Motocaddy M7 w/Remote Trolley & Bag Review

Congrats testers! This should be a fun follow to see how well this PXG technology works and if it will indeed compete with what L.A.B has to offer, or ANY other OEM at that. 

Chux Bag o' Magic:

:PXG: Black Ops 10.5°

:PXG: 0317X Proto Hybrids (17°/19°)

:PXG: 0211 XCor 2021 Irons (5-PW)

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 46° wedge

Juggernaut Max CB Full Face 52,56,60° Wedges

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 custom broomstick

:callaway-small: Chrome Tour ballz

Tech: Garmin R10/Galaxy Watch 5 Pro Golf Edition

---Opus Platinum Forum Testing Review---

Really looking forward to this one. Currently gaming a custom bradley putter which I love, but I'm really intrigued by the zero torque style putters and this being more economical than LAB. 

3-p p760s

Cobra F9 

Tour edge Exotic 3 and 5 wood

Custom made Bradley putter

Sm9 wedges 50 56 60

Congrats testers! Will be interesting to see if the Alan is truly a "zero torque" putter. 

TSR1, 9*, TPT Nitro 17 Lo

TSR1, 15*, TPT Power Range Fairway 17 Lo 

TSR2, Hybrid, 18*, TPT Power Range Hybrid 17 Lo 

T-200, (2023), 5-PW,  SteelFiber, i95cw, S 

Vokey Design - 50 & 54, SteelFiber i95cw S, and Vokey S10 - 46 & 58, SteelFiber i95cw S

Odyssey JAILBIRD 380 Limited Edition

ELIXR (2022), MaxFli Tour S (2024)

16 hours ago, Quigleyd said:

Placeholder

Score!

16 hours ago, TheOther1 said:

Placeholder

Score!

Driver - Ping G410+ LA golf 65S

3wood - Ping G400 Aldia green 75S

5 wood - Ping G410 Aldia 75S

4-pw Iron - TM M3 steel fiber  i110

Ping Glide 3.0 - 50, 54, 58 Nippon 115

Odyssey O-Works 2-ball

ProV1x

16 hours ago, MGS-Forum-Mod said:

Placeholder

since you appear to have gotten two putters, can I borrow one for a little bit?

Driver - Ping G410+ LA golf 65S

3wood - Ping G400 Aldia green 75S

5 wood - Ping G410 Aldia 75S

4-pw Iron - TM M3 steel fiber  i110

Ping Glide 3.0 - 50, 54, 58 Nippon 115

Odyssey O-Works 2-ball

ProV1x

I am always ready to read putter review data!!  Have fun testing!

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex; :callaway-logo-1: Mavrik 18* 5w;  :mizuno-small: JPX 919 HM Pro 4i;  :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

Congratulations testers! Always interesting to see putter reviews, particularly someone else hopping on the zero torque wagon.  Roll 'em straight.

2024 WITB:

Driver::callaway-logo-1: Ai Smoke 🔹🔹🔹 MAX 9* w. Denali 60g 6.5 (XS)

FW woods: :titleist-small:TSR2+ 13* '2W' w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X & TSR2 21* 7W w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X

Hybrid: :taylormade-small:Stealth+ 3H (@18*) w. :projectx: Hzrdus Smoke RDX Red 80/6.5

Irons: :taylormade-small: 5i-PW: '17 P790 w. :kbs: Tour C-Taper Lite 115X (Incoming soon: :taylormade-small: 4i-PW: 2024 P770 w. :projectx: Rifle 6.0 (+1/4"))

Wedges: :taylormade-small: 50/09 MG4; 56/12 MG4TW Raw; :vokey-small:SM9 60/04L

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X7

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5x //  :callaway-small: Chrome Tour // Maxfli Tour X

Other: :Arccos:. Gogogo Sport V-Pro rangefinder;  :Ogio: Woode Hybrid Stand Bag; :BagBoy: Nitron push cart.

2024 Tests:

"...pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space, 'cause there's bugger all down here on Earth!"- Eric Idle

Putting is the weakest part of my game. Looking forward to seeing if this helps! I have tried everything. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

Congratulations testers! As a new huge fan of PXG, new found interest in putters of all kinds, and having found a lot of improvement in my putting ability lately I’m definitely going to keep a watch on this test. Good luck testers!

I have a cobra rad speed driver, cobra fly z 3 and 5 wood, taylormade m1 irons (5-PW), Top Flite Gamer wedges (52,56,60), and odyssey white ice putter. When I’m playing to keep score I typically play the Maxfli Tour X. When just getting a round in with friends or scrambling I play whatever I might find on the course or might find at the bottom of my bag.