Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Wilson Staff 8882 Review

whiskey golf

Wilson Staff 8882 Review

Today I'm going to give a quick review on the Wilson Staff 8882 putter because I believe it is an underrated putter and there are barely any reviews on this out there. This is my first post and first review, so leave some feedback in the comments and make suggestions. I might get pictures on eventually.

Background

-35 inch putter length

-Black finish

-Lamkin Red Crossline Grip (aftermarket)

-I've owned this putter for about 3 months so I've had plenty of playing time and experience with it.

Looks-

The 8882 is a very nice looking putter and in my opinion, one of the sharpest blade designs out there from an OEM putter. It has very simple looks throughout the putter. The sightline on the putter is not a complete line, but rather a little white rectangular stub. I find this serves as a good alignment aid. The milling on the putter is very unique looking and is fairly deep unlike some popular putters out there that run $300+ dollars. The bottom of the putter just has Wilson Staff in white lettering and 8882 in black lettering.

Feel-

The feel on this putter is amazing and second-to-none. The milling on the putter gets the job done and makes the putter feel like an expensive, premium putter. I've tried the other Wilson models with the same milling and they all have a great feel on them. The feel can range a tad bit. It's a nice soft feel when struck on the sweet spot but can be a little firm if not hit perfectly or if it's “thinned”, if you will.

Performance-

This putter performs to my expectations and should support anyone's. It keeps the putt right on line and does not cause the ball to hop or skid as far as I can tell. The only times that's happened is if there was a divot in my line or if my ball hits something. The milling on the putter gives the ball a great roll and it performs on any green condition you might face.

Other notes-

There are a couple of things that I want to take into consideration in this review. One thing that could've been changed was the stock grip. It's a great looking grip but it's not the best feeling in my opinion. It's basically a Golf Pride V-Rad camo grip but in a different color scheme. I usually switch out the grip after 90 days (Roger Dunn of course) but I liked this putter a lot and wanted to make it better so I switched the grip immediately. For those who haven't tried the Golf Pride V-Rad, it's a tackier grip and almost feels like a midsize compared to the Lamkin.

Another thing about the putter is the black finish. The finish on the Wilson has held up great for a black putter and doesn't have that much wear on it after 3 months. Plus, I haven't been using a headcover so it must be pretty durable if it's been hitting other clubs and what not. I didn't get the headcover because I read somewhere that it constantly fell off which I didn't want to happen so I bought a different one. Beware that I haven't found a headcover that stays on, I've lost one and the one I bought wouldn't stay on. The stock cover might have but whatever, I'm fine with no cover.

Also, for an extreme toe hang putter, this putter feels fairly balanced and not all over the place like some putters do. The weight on the Wilson also feels heavier for the style, which is a plus for me and maybe not for others.

Other people's reactions-

Other people that I know have tried this putter and they all have the same reaction, they like it a lot. One of my relatives liked the way it felt and also noticed how balanced it felt during the stroke. Another person who's been using a mallet putter, and even said that he didn't like thin blade style putters, liked the way it felt a lot and also liked its looks. One of my friends complimented on how great of a roll it gets. The best reaction was from my coach. He's been using an old Tommy Armour blade putter since he was a junior golfer and hasn't switched putters since. He loved the way it looked because it's what he is used to and was surprised by how great it felt because of the brand and price tag. He still has the Tommy Armour but it was funny to see him checking out the Wilson so much.

Value-

The putter runs for about $99 dollars which is a steal for its quality and the small features it has. This includes a milled face, nice black finish, stepless True Temper shaft, and a good quality grip. Some putters that are twice or triple the price of the 8882 don't have some of these features.

Overall-

The Wilson 8882 is a cheap priced, but great quality putter that anybody can game. It's a great value for a putter and next time it's in a golf store, give it a try.

DSC05193.jpg

DSC05194.jpg

DSC05191.jpg

DSC05192.jpg

DSC05187.jpg

DSC05188.jpg

DSC05189.jpg

DSC05190.jpg

Ive looked at these putters before and they look really good. Its nice to see Wilson doing more to be competitive.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Welcome to the forum, whiskey golf.

And nice review, first up.

Some pics would round it off quite nicely :-)

In my Clicgear B3 cart bag on my Clicgear 3.0 pushcart:

Rocketballz 10.5* stock stiff shaft

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Mizuno MP-R12 52*, MP-T11 56*, MP-T10 60*

Some old Odyssey putter (Don't laugh, it gets the ball in the hole nicely)

Bridgestone E6

Walking on air with my True Tours and Kentwool socks

No-one will ever have golf under his thumb. No round ever will be so good it could not have been better. Perhaps this is why golf is the greatest of games. You are not playing a human adversary; you are playing a game. You are playing old man par.

Bobby Jones

You swing your best when you have the fewest things to think about.

Bobby Jones

• SPY VIP

Welcome and excellent review. I was rolling one of these @ Golftown recently and fell in love. Very well balanced, amazing amazing feel and the roll is fantastic. If I didn't have so many putters in the house and a wife aware of them I'd buy one in a heartbeat. My favorite putter grip of all time is the Lamkin crossline, but I did not mind the stock V-Rad grip as I felt it added to the smoothness of the putter.

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

Im seriously considering picking up an 8883 BLK. Theres a part of me that really likes W/S because they are based out of Chicago.

A couple years ago I picked up a set of Di7s off of the bay and they were really great irons.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Love the classic look of the 8882 and 8802. That style has wound up being a tad too light for me, though...I don't the kind of touch/feel to make it work. Too bad because the look is awesome!

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

GG, get it...Seriously, it's a great putter...Firm & nice even roll..Like I said, I have last year's model which is smoke grey, and it's beautiful, and I've seen the BLK, and it's great lookin also..

And for the price, hell, you could buy three of 'em for what you pay for the other premium heel shafted blades...

If you don't like it, I'll buy it from ya...Seriously...

Fairways & Greens 4ever...

Sadly, I think Mizuno has ruined me for owning any putter that isnt forged carbon steel.

Does this putter have a full shaft offset like the original 8802?

Does anyone know the headweight, swingweight or the overall weight?

I don't know if this will help but compared to other putters, there doesn't seem to be as much offset like some putters and the Wilson also feels heavier, not a lot but I notice it.

Archived