Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Woods to miss AP

Aotearoa_Brad

I don't think this is really a huge surprise to most, but he is definitely running out of time to get rounds under the bale before the Masters...

---

Woods 'making strides,' but not playing Bay Hill
[Ryan Reiterman, http://bit.ly/1BCRIALMarch 13, 2015]

Tiger Woods will not play next week at the Arnold Palmer Invitational, he announced Friday.

The eight-time Bay Hill champion said he's still working to get his game back in shape after an embarrassing start to the 2015 season.

"I spoke to Arnold today and told him that I will not play in his tournament this year," Woods said in a statement on his website. "I'm sorry I won't be in Orlando next week, but I know it will be a really successful event."

Woods missed the cut at the Phoenix Open after shooting a career-worst 82 in the second round. Woods then withdrew the following week from the Farmers Insurance Open because of another back injury. In both starts, the 79th-ranked player in the world also continued to struggle with his chipping. In a statement released on February 11, Woods said his back was feeling better, but he wouldn't return to the Tour until his game was in better shape.

"I've put in a lot of time and work on my game and I'm making strides, but like I've said, I won't return to the PGA TOUR until my game is tournament ready and I can compete at the highest level," Woods said Friday.

Palmer released a statement shortly after Woods.

"Tiger called me personally this afternoon to let me know that he wouldn't be playing here at Bay Hill," Palmer said. "He said that his game is not quite ready yet and that he was disappointed that he won't be able to play in the tournament, which has always meant a lot to him. I'm sorry that he won't be playing. We'll certainly miss him, but I understand and appreciated that he called me."

With Woods out at Bay Hill for the second year in a row, there are only two tournaments left – the Valero Texas Open and the Shell Houston Open – before the Masters, which Woods missed last year for the first time as a professional while recovering from back surgery.

If Woods were to break from his traditional schedule and add an event before the Masters, Houston seems a likely choice. The course is set up similar to Augusta with light rough and tightly mowed grass around the greens.

While Woods didn't say if he would play one of the Texas events, he's still holding out hope to play in the first major of the season.

"I hope to be ready for the Masters, and I will continue to work hard preparing for Augusta," Woods said.

This year will mark the 10-year anniversary of Woods’ last win at the Masters.

----
It's sad, but I really can't see him having time to get himself in form to be contention at the Masters

On the GC they are in morning or so it seems. I would not be surprised if there are not wreaths posted in the entrance of their Orlando headquarters. I guess he will be back when HE and he alone feels ready and confident to compete. I feel the pressure is on him both mentally and physically.

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I brought a friend to Valspar who is a very casual golf fan and golfer.  He wanted to know why Tiger wasn't playing (and also where John Daly was.)  How do you explain to a guy that one of the greatest players ever would never play Copperhead because it would eat his lunch (even at close to his prime) and that the other guy he likes would have trouble winning money at our local Friday game because A his game stinks and if he's playing scratch there are people there who will beat him (Hooters tour types) and B they have a beer cart to make sure that they will.

We can make fun of the Golf Channel all we want, they show what sells - they don't have to cater to us because we are going to watch for the golf (go figure).  They have to figure out how to draw other people to watch.

Tiger is news and will be until he says - "I've played my last game of golf."

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I can't imagine coming off an 82 and making the next course you play be Augusta. Good luck with that.

"Glute Activator"

*Please accept my contributions of participation and intellectual property sharing as substitute for monetary renumeration.

I can't imagine coming off an 82 and making the next course you play be Augusta. Good luck with that.

I can.... if I ever get the chance to play Augusta. Which I won't lol

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

At this point, should anyone be surprised?  Tiger is broken and isnt going to embarrass himself at a lesser tournament when the Masters is so close.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

If he doesn't play Augusta that talk about suspension will resurface in spades. Confidentiality is a concept that sounds good on paper but often backfires in real life.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I for one want to see if he can play the whole par 3 tournament! Nice 70 yard shot over water.....chunk, thin, withdraw?

I just hope he doesn't pull out once he's started and rob another player of the chance to play in the masters.

Oh and yes Rev your right the gossip will start again.

But the tour could sort out gossip by just having a proper drug testing policy.

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

I don't think this is really a huge surprise to most, but he is definitely running out of time to get rounds under the bale before the Masters...

It's sad, but I really can't see him having time to get himself in form to be contention at the Masters

I am going to disagree with everybody. During a tournament you have to have confidence in your swing and particularly your wedges.  Tiger knows how to win and play in tournaments, but swing changes in the full swing can and do have ripple effects in the short game.

I spent years trying to change my swing, and finally can do it, most of the time, on the course, but my short game has gone away. I need to spend time practicing that, which I have not done. Granted, it is not like Tiger has anything else to do, but if he does not have confidence that he can save a hole with a wedge, he might as well stay home.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

I don't think you are disagreeing with us Rick. We agree that it's best for Tiger to stay home until he gets his game in order. The problem is that the longer that takes the more the speculation will fly.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Indeed Rev, sure we are agreeing with Rick. Sure tigers clean, just not fit or playing well.

One Problem with the rubbish drug process in golf is that it allows gossip to build because PGA don't comment. Secrecy is rarely a good thing around drugs in sport, cycling anyone?

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

Archived