Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

New Bobby Jones Driver

The new Bobby Jones driver is out - it's adjustable and it's white...

http://www.bobbyjones.com/golf-equipment/driver12

bj11.jpg

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

• SPY VIP

A few more pics. I've always liked what Jesse has done with his clubs...traditional styling with modern performance, but... this one, well...looks kinda familiar...at least the crown does anyway.

Available in RH only in 9°, 10.5°, and 12.5°. Not sure about *upgrade* options, but there is no X-Stiff stock option listed.

bjd1.PNG

bjd2.PNG

bjd3.png

bjd4.png

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

Not as busy as the RBZ or R11 -- ironic having a new-school adjustable white head with the old school wool sock head cover. Kinda like it!

And though it may be marketing-speak, I can appreciate how Jesse describes product innovation:

My motto for over 40 years has been that I will not change a model unless I can make a significant improvement over the current design.

First driver update for Bobby Jones since 2008...

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

The Icarus? Seriously? The story of the guy that tries to do to much, goes to far and crashes to his death in a ball of flame.

Yeah let's call our new driver that.

I really liked the WE drivers. They were unique and they really performed. I hate this. Trying too hard to be TM will send Jessie crashing back to earth in a ball of flames.

Maybe the name fits after all.....

In Play

Driver: Cleveland Classic XL Custom 9.5*, Woods: Cobra Baffler T-Rail 5W, 7W, Hybrids:Callaway FTiz 27* Irons: Maruman Shuttle 7-S, Wedge: Cleveland Niblick 49*, Callaway Jaws CC 60*, Putter: Ping Scottsdale Wolverine

Warming the bench

Cleveland Classic 12*, Ping Rapture V2 10.5*, Ping K15 5, 7, Ping Rapture V2 6-S, Bobby Jones H3-H6, Cleveland Classic BRZ

I'm sure that it's a nice driver, as all of Ortiz's clubs are of high quality and well designed....Though why, oh why , did he have to paint it white...And then he had to put the red accent on the rear of the crown...

Forget about all of the crap regarding white and alignment, bla, bla, bla...I'm dissapointed from the standpoint that Jesse's father(& I though Jesse) was always a lone wolf and now he's just one of the sheep...

And we all know what happens to most of the sheep....

Fairways & Greens 4ever...

AGREED

Inside My Blue Callaway Warbird X Golf Stand Bag:

Driver:Nike SQ 10.5* with Graphite Design Y6+

3W:Cobra S2 14*

4W: Nike SQ Dymo 17*

3H and 4H: Taylormade Rescue 19* and 22*

5H: Cleveland Mashie 23*

6H: Adams a3os Hollow-Back

7Iron-Sand Wedge:Callaway X-20 Series with Callaway Steel

Lob Wedge (60*):Cleveland CG-12 Black Pearl with Cleveland TRaction Steel Wedge Flex

Putter: Odyssey Versa #9

Golfball: Callaway Hex Black Tour

I like the name because I like anything Greek particularly the name Penelope.

But I'm not quite sure where this offering fits in the market place - we seem to have lots of drivers. Frankly I'm mystified as to why anyone here looking for a driver wouldn't start with the Razor Fit - I'm not in the market for a driver right now but what the heck - we have this great website with a group of guys who go over the top on testing - why wouldn't we at leasast start by being fit for our top rated club? I'm starting to feel a real sense of loyalty to this group. Hoping for a nice memorial for this wedding on Saturday so I can send a few bucks along to help out the cause.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

That club sounds very tasty RP

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

• 6 months later...

Have always liked Jesse's clubs. The last Driver, with a carbon crown, lacked distance. With this new head, he's gone to an all Ti head for more rigidity and a cup face.

It seems as if driver technology is geared towards adjustability and forgiveness on off-center hits. For this, we see cupface technology with variable face thickness, and slots (Adams Super S and LS) with variable face thickness.

The Bobby Jones uses cup face technology, in which the welds are moved well back from the face so the entire face unit is more of a cup, allowing more "spring" or flex on off-center hits.

As to adjustability, I believe this driver is limited to face angle, which also affects loft. Opening the face will typically decrease loft, and closing the angle will increase loft.

Would like to try this one, but they are selling out to their market. Surprising, because you hear nothing about them on the various boards.

• 4 weeks later...

I sorta like it but it does seem like it is a cross between a TM and Cally. Just my opinion

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

• 1 year later...

I kinda like the white face........but does it perform?

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I kinda like the white face........but does it perform?

The black is impressive in person. I also have everything in white but the driver. The 2014 Series is new in terms of the cup face design on the fairways and hybrids. The driver face was cup faced last year but Jesse used a different Ti face material to improve the sound.

With the cup face designs, the fairway and hybrids are phenomenal. The fairway has the best feel of any fairway I've owned for the past 20 years ... and being a former club ho, that includes a lot of clubs. Great sound, soft feel, forgiving, rockets off the face. Easy to launch off tight lies and deep off the tee.

The hybrids are solid and lively - and all are cup faced and go up to 35 degrees...

I've taken the Blackbird driver out for a few rounds and I've hit some of my longest drives with it, finding the proverbial places I had not found previously (even at stock length of 45 inches). I think it's the cup face design. I find it a forgiving fairway finder. My driver last year was an R1 set at 12 with an Oban Revenge 55. This Black is 12.5. I am getting better performance with the Black - the cup face and head design is more forgiving with the COG low and back, not low and forward.

I have the Blackbird driver in stock form -- it is not like the X2Hot where from the first ball, I'm in love, even if the X2Hot spins too much (shaft issue). A stroke with the Black will produce a sound akin to a ball hitting bat -- the faster you swing, the more precise the sound (not resonant). After a few weeks, the performance was so good that I forgave the fact that it did not sound like a Titleist. Of course, after I do a formal review and jump on a sim to compare it with other drivers, I will have someone put a gram of deadener in it, and all will be good.

Definitely worth a look.

And if you're not an average Joe, call Jesse for a heavier, custom shaft.

Don't see many BJ clubs in my neck of the woods.....but I'll keep an eye out for them.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Don't see many BJ clubs in my neck of the woods.....but I'll keep an eye out for them.

Unfortunately, it's been a best kept secret this year ... it's an online purchase with the bobbyjones.com website and some online dealers.

Archived