Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Golfers ego

revkev

Ego is a disease that afflicts all of us. If I could get mine in check I'd bag my ping eye 2s. They are my favorite irons ever. But the 6 iron that I used to pull from 170 only goes 145 now. My ego demands a 6 that goes at least 165. So I bag iron set after iron set and am continually dissatisfied even though I have a garage full of 6 irons that I can hit 165.

How does your ego negatively impact your game? Be honest!

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

If I don't hit a particular club well during any given round, I will punish myself by continuing to hack with it until I hit a decent shot.  Basically, it's some weird obsessive-compulsive thing with me where I need to have a solid strike with whatever clubs I'm using that day ... doesn't matter if my score suffers ... I just NEED to make sure that - even if I only end up using 10 clubs that round - each one of those has to strike the ball well at least once.

598d34f0542b2cee55a697330fd3c3ca-d6cqykp

Rev if I could find a set of BeCu Eye2's with the TiSandvick titanium shafts, I wouldn't hesitate to bag them. Mmmmmmm... Stiffy

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

If I don't hit a particular club well during any given round, I will punish myself by continuing to hack with it until I hit a decent shot.  Basically, it's some weird obsessive-compulsive thing with me where I need to have a solid strike with whatever clubs I'm using that day ... doesn't matter if my score suffers ... I just NEED to make sure that - even if I only end up using 10 clubs that round - each one of those has to strike the ball well at least once.

598d34f0542b2cee55a697330fd3c3ca-d6cqykp

I call that one Tin Cup syndrome :)

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

My ego has cost me strokes on my handicap since I started keying a handicap.  In my case, I can be a long hitter with my driver, but it is a lower percentage stroke than my 4i.  90% of the tome, I would be better served playing the 4i, but my ego gets in the way, and I pay the price in strokes.  it has gotten better with recognition, but every now and again it sneaks in the back door and out comes stupid.

Dru - Owner, President & Janitor, Druware Software Designs

RH 13.1 Handicap in soggy Georgia 

WITB
* 1W 10.5* @ PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 3W PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff ) 
* 5W 18* Tailor-made AeroBurner ( Stock Stiff )
* 7W  Sub70 949x ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 5i-PW @ PXG 0211 ( Gen 1 )
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus

My lack of distance allows me no room whatsoever for an ego unfortunately. I tried to closet my players cb's this year for a Super game improvement iron set, but the fact remains I simply cannot use the silly things. My 8 iron cb went further than the SGI and that is not saying much as I struggle to see 140 from a 6 iron and the nuked 8 with gps was 125 yds.

Taylormade R5 Dual TP 9.5* Aldila Voodoo SVS7

Taylormade V Steel 15* Accra M4 Dymatch 

Titleist 909H 17* Aldila Voodoo

Taylormade V Steel 18* S300

Wilson DXI 25* Aldila Voodoo SVS8

Taylormade 2003 Rac CB 5-PW S300

Cleveland Tour Issue 588 54* Tour Zip Grooves PX 6.5 Flighted

Fourteen MT 28 V5 TS 62* DG 

C&L 355g Beached 34"

I over swing on driver a lot because I think it will increase my distance even though I hit it further when I swing smooth.  Something about hitting it in the center of the clubface?

Driver: Titleist 915 D2 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard S flex

3 wood: Titleist 915F 15*, Whiteboard S Flex

Titleist 915H 18* and 24* with Whiteboard SFlex

Irons: Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 4-PW with S300's

Wedges: Mizuno MP T4 50*, 56* with DG Spinner

Putter:MannKrafted Long Slope or Odyssey #7 Versa Metal milled or Betti Tour Stock;

Ball: Bridgestone B330 or Titleist NXT

Bag: Titleist 'Murica colored carry bag or

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

My ego has made the game less fun at times. Whenever I have a average round I think it's crap because I compare myself to my friends and I automatically assume I should be shooting the same scores. I don't do this anymore because I realize 1) I'm not them and 2) I don't put in the proper time to get to that level and I can only blame myself.

And for the course, I have done things similar to Moecat where I have to hit every club good at least once during a round.

When I started I was lucky enough to hit the ball a long way right away so distance was never an issue. The issue was when I tried to start hitting it more consistently I lost some of the distance which messed with my head for awhile because I liked being the guy hitting a 9 iron 150 yards. Now I have been really working on my swing and ball striking and the distance is back while I am starting to hit the ball much more consistently. Now my ego gets in the way when I go from the range to the course and it appears that I have never hit a golf ball before. I can stand on the range, pick my spot, make the swing and be consistently close to the spot. You put me on the course and I chunk the crap out of it and the ball ends up 20 yards short. It hurts a little every time!

My ego also gets in the way during scrambles because I typically use my longer drivers and try to hit the ball as far as possible. My buddies know I can hit the ball a long way so they expect monster bombs all day. When I try to kill the ball it will usually go a long way but 350 yards in the woods does not help the team.

I am always working on it but if anyone has any advise to get out of my head and stay within my own ability I would greatly appreciate it.

Honestly I had a big ego problem up until about a year ago. I had a "Tin Cup" episode one day. I was playing a course that I have played a lot even before I moved down here permantely. My friend who is a great teaching pro and player was playing with me had gotten me to move to the whites in the preceeding 6 months or so. I was playing great. There was this par 5 and I had smoked a driver and had about a 230 carry over water. I tried that shot and plunk. I hit 4 balls in the water pissed off! He looked at me and said WTF? I said I have hit this shot upteen times over the years even with a 3 iron. He said yes but now you are 56 years old you cannot carry a 3 wood that far. He proceeded to tell me to "use my brain not my balls" That facts were facts that even with modern equipment I was too old to posibilly carry the ball that far. He also proceeded to tell me with my wedge play that it was a stupid move to attempt that. To stress that point he made me hit a lay up to my favorite wedge yardage of 110 yards and then I hit the wedge to 6 feet and made the putt. Lesson learned. Normally he does not give me advice and neither do I solicit it because he enjoys playing with me to get away from giving lessons and advice. Yep getting old can be a ****** but I had learned to deal with it thanks to him. When we were eating lunch after the round he asked me why do you think on the one mini that you were playing that you are now eligble to play in "super senior" division ? By the way this guy is wise beyond his years he is only 37. Yep I had to get my ego out of the way and had to learn to deal with my age restrictions

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I have tempered my ego on the course to some degree...I know I don't drive the ball far (about 200-220 yards), my 6i is my 150 club and my name's not Phil, so I will take my medicine, rather than try to hit through a gap in the trees that looks like I might make it if I hit it perfectly.

Off the course however, this song sums it up for me!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtM-I6puL0A

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I don't have an ego anymore. I've been married 11 years, and coincidentally, that's how long I've been without an ego

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

Since I didn't play until I was already 50, I've never had the "distance ego" to battle with and was willing to embarrass myself around the group of friends I played with for a long time, but it wasn't until a few years ago after I decided I really wanted to LEARN TO PLAY and started taking lessons and practicing with a plan that I began to feel confident enough to play with strangers.  I'm just glad I'm confident enough now to play with new people I meet on the course.  That's made the game even more enjoyable!

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

I will adjust this to say managing ones ego. I agree that you can't be successful at anything in life without the confidence to know you'll do it and you'll do a great job of it.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Archived