Testers Wanted: Vortex Rangefinders ×

What/How Did You Practice Today?

null

Tournament prep today. Still on the fence if I should try to play Saturday morning or use it as another practice day instead.

Range:

Large bucket (~65 balls) on the grass. First 15 were working on swing feels slowly to get my arms dropping into my trail pocket and then turning hard. I then went to a bunker that is part of the range and hit 15 balls alternating between my 6,7,8 irons to practice getting out of fairway bunkers. Then did some driver face contact drills and then to end the session hit my long clubs (DI, 4i, UW and 4w). Trying to figure out if I should bag the DI or the 4i for the tournament. DI if I am not great with my wrist set is a push fade machine. On the range I worked on that and I was able to get it more as a cut or a straight ball. The problem with the 4i is it barely goes farther than my 5i.

Putting green:

Started with a ladder drill. 2 balls at each distance. 7' and in make 2 move on, make 1 stay, make 0 start from beginning. 8' and out to 12'. make 1 move on, make 0 start over. Had a alignment stick 18' behind hole and if i hit through it that was a strike against me. tees at 2', 3', 4', 5', 6', 7',8',9',10',12'. Got through this twice. I found through testing at home, 10' and in I need to stare at the hole while putting.

Between the ladder drills, I worked on Monte's voodo green reading (works amazing for distance control and like 95% for most breaks, helped me make a 24' in my last round). I actually rarely look at the hole to check the alignment and usually finish within 1.5' of the hole.

Chipping green:

Did a lot of experimentation here. Normal chips with my 54*. Then tried some short sided chips. Then messed around with some Use the Bounce shots in thick rough, soggy lies and longer tight lie pitches. Did that with my 54* and 58* wedges. Finished with some long bump and runs hitting 7i, 8', pw', gw, 54* and 58* just for some fun. Most finished within 6' of the hole I was targeting which was impressive for me with changing the clubs and rarely playing a bump and run. Got the idea to practice this from Hack it out Saturday stat that showed a pw on a long sided chip was way more successful than a lob wedge. Glad I just have that in my arsenal.

Next week this is my plan:

Continue putting work and getting confident there.

Simulated Round on the range with pre shot routine.

Pitching practice and some green side bunker practice

Driver face impact to get that grooved with a pre shot routine

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :kbs: TD Cat 4 70g (back up :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" )

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with :kbs: PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with:kbs: Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter::L.A.B.:Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  :Snell: Prime 4.0

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

Glove: :redrooster:

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

19 minutes ago, Vegan_Golfer_PNW said:

Tournament prep today. Still on the fence if I should try to play Saturday morning or use it as another practice day instead.

Range:

Large bucket (~65 balls) on the grass. First 15 were working on swing feels slowly to get my arms dropping into my trail pocket and then turning hard. I then went to a bunker that is part of the range and hit 15 balls alternating between my 6,7,8 irons to practice getting out of fairway bunkers. Then did some driver face contact drills and then to end the session hit my long clubs (DI, 4i, UW and 4w). Trying to figure out if I should bag the DI or the 4i for the tournament. DI if I am not great with my wrist set is a push fade machine. On the range I worked on that and I was able to get it more as a cut or a straight ball. The problem with the 4i is it barely goes farther than my 5i.

Putting green:

Started with a ladder drill. 2 balls at each distance. 7' and in make 2 move on, make 1 stay, make 0 start from beginning. 8' and out to 12'. make 1 move on, make 0 start over. Had a alignment stick 18' behind hole and if i hit through it that was a strike against me. tees at 2', 3', 4', 5', 6', 7',8',9',10',12'. Got through this twice. I found through testing at home, 10' and in I need to stare at the hole while putting.

Between the ladder drills, I worked on Monte's voodo green reading (works amazing for distance control and like 95% for most breaks, helped me make a 24' in my last round). I actually rarely look at the hole to check the alignment and usually finish within 1.5' of the hole.

Chipping green:

Did a lot of experimentation here. Normal chips with my 54*. Then tried some short sided chips. Then messed around with some Use the Bounce shots in thick rough, soggy lies and longer tight lie pitches. Did that with my 54* and 58* wedges. Finished with some long bump and runs hitting 7i, 8', pw', gw, 54* and 58* just for some fun. Most finished within 6' of the hole I was targeting which was impressive for me with changing the clubs and rarely playing a bump and run. Got the idea to practice this from Hack it out Saturday stat that showed a pw on a long sided chip was way more successful than a lob wedge. Glad I just have that in my arsenal.

Nice work!  

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

30 minutes ago, Vegan_Golfer_PNW said:

Range:

Putting green:

Chipping green:

Nicely planned practice routine. I believe I need to incorporate a plan like this in my routine.

TSR1, 9*, TPT Nitro 17 Lo

TSR1, 15*, TPT Power Range Fairway 17 Lo 

TSR2, Hybrid, 18*, TPT Power Range Hybrid 17 Lo

RBZ Tour4 Hybrid, 21.5*, S 

T-200, (2023), 5-PW,  SteelFiber, i95cw, S 

Vokey Design, 50,54,58, Dynamic Gold S200

Studio Select, Newport 1.5

ELIXR (2022), MaxFli Tour S (2024)

1 minute ago, William P said:

Nicely planned practice routine. I believe I need to incorporate a plan like this in my routine.

It has really helped my game. I still have an occasional time I go to the range for stress relief. Mostly I have this kind of focus. How much of what I do depends on what my SS stats tell me I need to work on. With a tournament next week Saturday, really trying to hone in on my weaknesses and get in a playing mindset.

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :kbs: TD Cat 4 70g (back up :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" )

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with:kbs: Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

My Reviews:

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

3 minutes ago, Vegan_Golfer_PNW said:

It has really helped my game. I still have an occasional time I go to the range for stress relief. Mostly I have this kind of focus. How much of what I do depends on what my SS stats tell me I need to work on. With a tournament next week Saturday, really trying to hone in on my weaknesses and get in a playing mindset.

Good Strategy.

practiced yesterday w/large bucket working my way through bag with block and on-course practice.

focusing on feet and use of them. I often overlook this critical part of my swing. getting that front foot flared out at end of swing. 

also worked on grip and release. often my trail hand will get underneath too much and I lose the face at impact. watched a video of Nelly Korda swinging and realized that I need to be more on top and that really helped my dispersion and keeping face square.

image.png.ae118b19f9e9f5d4e058e92f2412a4e8.png

next went to wedges and putting and realized my left shoulder gets too high and if I soften my l elbow I have a much more balanced and even swing.

Driver-  Titleist  TSR3 10*
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- Titleist 718 AP2 (6i-50*)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Axis1 TourHM
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

23 minutes ago, StrokerAce said:

watched a video of Nelly Korda swinging and realized that I need to be more on top and that really helped my dispersion and keeping face square.

image.png.ae118b19f9e9f5d4e058e92f2412a4e8.png

I'm sorry, but I read this and just started laughing out loud at the "non golf" inference...

For whatever reason I misread into that, I couldn’t tell you,  but after the day ove been having,  I really needed that laugh. 

Now.....Back to your regularly scheduled GOLF related content 

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

1 hour ago, Vegan_Golfer_PNW said:

Range:

Putting green:

Chipping green:

Nice routine @Vegan_Golfer_PNW. Going to have to incorporate some of this into my practice plans! 

Driver: image.png.f2fe7619b0a04dd4a12ac39783f39b10.png Aerojet LS 10.5 image.png.3c329ee54f4af0d332191de3b277d11b.png Kai Li 60R                 3 wood: default_taylormade-small.jpg.79932727ec2389ce0aa081d30367fb26.jpg M2

Irons: default_taylormade-small.jpg.37fc98ff7c0a349b54abfa700e702ccb.jpg Speedblades 4i-PW                                                 Wedge: Cleveland.png.d2fe634fd9a3aaef5fed913a65c8e7dd.png CBX

Sand:  Wilson.gif.d7be7e11732484fb3c7959312e0e3bf3.gif Wilson Pro Staff                                                    Putter: default_taylormade-small.jpg.37fc98ff7c0a349b54abfa700e702ccb.jpg Spider / Tester:  image.png.b7573f2e65bd0b7d6e014f5a8fa57579.png DF3

Ball: image.png.3706b1d653d1cf95b7231645d19bf8ad.png Pro shade                                                                        Cart: image.png.c49446b33f13453112cc2c4ef189d63d.pngQuad XL

"The more I work and practice, the luckier I seem to get.” -Gary Player

“The proper score for a businessman golfer is 90. If he is better than that he is neglecting his business. If he’s worse, he’s neglecting his golf.” -St Andrews Rotary Club Member

Celebrated passing the PMP exam by hitting a bucket before going out to eat. Playing the Top 12 game continues to make me think I'm better than I really am, clocking in with a 15.4 handicap. Worked my long irons and did not hit them well or consistently, but that's what range sessions are for!! The frustrating part is that most times I'm hitting my 4i ~170-190, but about every 5th attempt I smoke it like 220-230. 

I've been choking up on all my clubs and it seems to give me more control and better strikes without costing me any distance except for when I'm hitting driver. But I'll gladly give up 10-15 yards off the tee if I'm in the fairway most of the time.

WITB

Calloway Hyper X Driver TaylorMade SIM2 Max D

Paradym 3-wood

Ping G430 3-hybrid

Ping G430 4-PW

Ping 50, 54, 58 wedges

Old ass putter from my old bag TP Hydro Blast Soto

Just now, Steve F said:

Nice routine @Vegan_Golfer_PNW. Going to have to incorporate some of this into my practice plans! 

Just noticed: I essentially stole @William P's line! Regardless, I love the practice regiment and will be putting some of this into my routine!

Driver: image.png.f2fe7619b0a04dd4a12ac39783f39b10.png Aerojet LS 10.5 image.png.3c329ee54f4af0d332191de3b277d11b.png Kai Li 60R                 3 wood: default_taylormade-small.jpg.79932727ec2389ce0aa081d30367fb26.jpg M2

Irons: default_taylormade-small.jpg.37fc98ff7c0a349b54abfa700e702ccb.jpg Speedblades 4i-PW                                                 Wedge: Cleveland.png.d2fe634fd9a3aaef5fed913a65c8e7dd.png CBX

Sand:  Wilson.gif.d7be7e11732484fb3c7959312e0e3bf3.gif Wilson Pro Staff                                                    Putter: default_taylormade-small.jpg.37fc98ff7c0a349b54abfa700e702ccb.jpg Spider / Tester:  image.png.b7573f2e65bd0b7d6e014f5a8fa57579.png DF3

Ball: image.png.3706b1d653d1cf95b7231645d19bf8ad.png Pro shade                                                                        Cart: image.png.c49446b33f13453112cc2c4ef189d63d.pngQuad XL

“The proper score for a businessman golfer is 90. If he is better than that he is neglecting his business. If he’s worse, he’s neglecting his golf.” -St Andrews Rotary Club Member

Day 120 (16 May 24) - played the Thurs 9 with my good friend and his f-i-l - using our modified scramble (we all play our approaches off the best tee shot, except 3’s)…solid round again with the 962 irons, man they are really sweet and confidence inspiring…finished with a +5 41 and 0 dbl bogies…yeah buddy, sub-40 nines on the horizon….

WITB?:ping-small:  G400 SFT w/Aldila NXT GEN NVS 55 Aflex ; :ping-small: G410 3w; :ping-small: G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26) - stock Ping Alta CB R-Flex; :edel-golf-1:SMS 6i, 7i - KBS TourLIte 95 R-Flex; Maltby TS1 8i-9i-PW w/Apollo Acculite 85 R flex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -R-Flex and :odyssey-small: AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls. 

Was able to get out after work and hit one of the local clubs, Fox Hollow, and do some putting work with the DF3. Set up around the hole 4 circles: 3', 5', 7' and 10'. 20240516_165049.jpg.75ce13cd23429bb2e1e99dc2ce4ee938.jpg

Data drop: went around the horn twice and the numbers areimage.png.19eca0a6e70864b72cbc900e29d4713e.png

The DF3 is taking some getting used to, but I can honestly say that it feels "consistent" in it's delivery: my dispersions are becoming tighter. Dispersion from 10': 20240516_182213.jpg.bd2deaac1e86f0256aad8dbf12d404c3.jpg

Afterwards, I left the markers in for 3', 5', 7' and 10' and set up first at 30' and then at 20' to work distance control / "lag" putting. Objective to obviously get it in the hole, but get as close as possible within the rings set up. image.png.d41291ce24a885d33d04e1b02832edab.png

Overall a good day on the practice green!
The Black Mamba started a conversation, and it went something like this: "What the hell is that? OH! Is that the spaceship putter? Do you mind if I .... " Of course I said "Absolutely! Please, take a look!" He was very interested in the Mamba, and I explained to him what I was doing: he saw me measuring out my markers and the Mamba and we started chatting. I turned him on to the forum, so I hope that he, Patrick, is here and is reading this! If you are here, Welcome! You're gonna LOVE this place! It's full of great people, tons of information and the knowledge base is second to none! 
Enough of my long windedness.. I'll include a link to this post in my L.A.B. thread as well. 
Have a great evening MGS Nation! Hit 'em straight! 🏌🏼   ⛳

5 hours ago, NubianRugby said:

Celebrated passing the PMP exam by hitting a bucket before going out to eat. Playing the Top 12 game continues to make me think I'm better than I really am, clocking in with a 15.4 handicap. Worked my long irons and did not hit them well or consistently, but that's what range sessions are for!! The frustrating part is that most times I'm hitting my 4i ~170-190, but about every 5th attempt I smoke it like 220-230. 

I've been choking up on all my clubs and it seems to give me more control and better strikes without costing me any distance except for when I'm hitting driver. But I'll gladly give up 10-15 yards off the tee if I'm in the fairway most of the time.

Congratulations on passing the PMP!

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Stealth 3 wood

Titleist U510 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

3 minutes ago, TJ Hall said:

Congratulations on passing the PMP!

Thank you very much!!!

WITB

Calloway Hyper X Driver TaylorMade SIM2 Max D

Paradym 3-wood

Ping G430 3-hybrid

Ping G430 4-PW

Ping 50, 54, 58 wedges

Old ass putter from my old bag TP Hydro Blast Soto

14 minutes ago, NubianRugby said:

Thank you very much!!!

Congratulations!

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

9 hours ago, Vegan_Golfer_PNW said:

Range:

Putting green:

Chipping green:

awsome plan, you got this....

committed to performance excellence

Yesterday was ugly on the range, suddenly I am hitting a pull draw. Positives are that it's the exact opposite of my normal miss, so just need to revert back to a middle ground. Contact was pretty good as far as strike location. Will play a couple of holes today and 9 tomorrow to try and see what it looks like on a golf course.

• Callaway Epic Max LS
  • Cobra Radspeed 3w
  • TM RBZ 19º Hybrid
  • New Level 902-PD 5-PW 
  • Callaway Jaws 52
  • Cleveland RTX 56
  • Alien 60
  • Odessy Dual Force II CS#5 Putter

14 hours ago, NubianRugby said:

Celebrated passing the PMP exam by hitting a bucket before going out to eat.

Congrats!  

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

7 hours ago, marco.ziniewicz said:

Today I had a tennis lesson. I tried it for the first time today, but I guess it's not for me. Although my friends say I'll get used to it... I don't want to get used to it.

Your friends are just trying to get you into tennis so you don't go to the dark side of pickleball... I do play pickleball and don't play tennis so who knows

WITB:
Driver: Callaway Epic Speed 11*
4 wood: Titleist 975f 16.5*
7 wood: Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead III
Irons: 5-PW Maltby DBM Forged, Nippon Pro Modus 120s
Wedges: 50* PING S159 S-12 | 54* PING S159 S-12 | 58*: PING S159 T-6
Putter: PING Sigma G Kinloch C

Forum Tests and Reviews:

I got word that the grass range was finally open at the local muni so I went over at lunchtime and HOLY COW it looked like a warzone 😕 Some golfers really need to learn about proper divot patterns.

ANYWAYS - had a really good day with wedges and irons. Driver and hybrids, not so much but that's OK. I kept finding myself rushing my tempo since I was hitting while on lunch break, when I slowed down slightly everything was so much better. That's why I prefer early morning or late day range sessions when I'm not concerned about needing to be someplace, or back on the clock. Just that *slightly* slower feel, especially in transition, makes contact so much better. 

In my Big Max hybrid bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:wilson_staff_small: D200 6i-GW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:maxfli: Tour S

20 minutes ago, Willie T said:

A personal best 76! 

congrats on the personal best. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, Willie T said:

Day 121 (17 May 24) - Plans fell thru for a good friend and I to play a nearby course…called my son and we played Minnesott.  We followed  the men’s group out and had a very fun and relaxed round.  One of those rare days where ball striking was super consistent, distances predictable, and putts going in….shot 39 on the front (including a triple bogie 8 on the par 5 6th (lost ball in the ditch off the tee)).  Head stayed in the game as I went par-birdie-par to finish the front.  Kept pace with a 37 on the back with a birdie on 10 and dbl bogie on 16 bookending five consecutive pars. Finished the back with two more pars.  A personal best 76! 
Just wanted to add that those DCI 962 irons were the bees knees in the irons dept….

Congratulations on the personal best!

1 hour ago, Willie T said:

Day 121 (17 May 24) - Plans fell thru for a good friend and I to play a nearby course…called my son and we played Minnesott.  We followed  the men’s group out and had a very fun and relaxed round.  One of those rare days where ball striking was super consistent, distances predictable, and putts going in….shot 39 on the front (including a triple bogie 8 on the par 5 6th (lost ball in the ditch off the tee)).  Head stayed in the game as I went par-birdie-par to finish the front.  Kept pace with a 37 on the back with a birdie on 10 and dbl bogie on 16 bookending five consecutive pars. Finished the back with two more pars.  A personal best 76! 
Just wanted to add that those DCI 962 irons were the bees knees in the irons dept….

congrats on the PB

My Reviews:

Went out with the intent to play today, but after 4 holes the thunder started and the sheets of horizontal rain and 60mph winds happened. Of course, I was at the furthest point. Rain jacket and umbrella really didn't help much on the walk back in. Oh well, good practice and a soft water shower too boot.

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet

5 hours ago, Willie T said:

Nice round!  Practice seems to be paying off!

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Stealth 3 wood

Titleist U510 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter