What/How did you practice today?

We have a little something going through the school community. Given the number of times I need to preach for big (wedding and funerals) in the next ten days I decided to work from home.

So I started at 5 AM and took a midday range break to try out the 410 LST head.

Of course my Rapsodo doesn’t give spin rates so that parts a guess until I get to a real LM and/or see it perform on course.

Once I got the Motore shaft I I really nutted them.

Image1615324570.869377.jpg

Shot after shot on the sweet spot, launch rates 13-15 degrees and even though into a 15 mph wind some roll out down range.

I will look to get out again tomorrow. Hopefully the wind lays down or at least turns around a bit. Our range has two sides but the opposite side is under repair. They were laying the sod today.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3

Ping G410 - turned down to11.25 degrees, neutral setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

SCOR 52,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Currently testing Edison wedges to replace SCORS that are wearing out. Also auditions for the 14th spot in the bag.  Current possibilities are a Ping 26 degree hybrid - duplicates the 9 wood or 5 iron but would be used almost exclusively for chipping or Tour Exotics 3 wood simply because you can carry 14 clubs and I might occasionally hit it in certain unusual wind conditions once every four or five rounds. 

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I went to the range today with the intention of working on one of the drills from the Strike Plan where you try to intentionally hit a toe shot and then a heel shot to develop feel for each in order t

Hard to think of a cheaper training aid than some foot spray... Worth every penny

@Shankster @Lacassem @B.Boston @edingc radar came in yesterday, but due to my wife packing our house up last month, i didn’t have batteries. ran out this morning to get some and put it to the tes

Posted Images

3 hours ago, edingc said:

It's 60-plus here today. Inching closer to the season. Drove by my course on the way home from work and could have stopped and played No. 17 and No. 18 by the looks of it. Saw some drone shots of the rest of the holes last night and there's still a lot of snow to melt. Supposed to get some rain tomorrow and Thursday, so that will help. I bet I'll be out on the course before the end of the month!

Anyway, now that my backyard is thawed I've been working on chipping and pitching and making some good progress. I watched some Gareth Raflewski stuff last month and made a few changes to my setup. So far, so good. I've never put a lot of time into my short game, so now I'm trying to develop the following four shots:

• Bump and run - Basically a scaled down version of my full-swing, will release and run a lot even with my highest lofted wedge.
  • A true "pitch" - I'm a late wrist set person in my full swing, so in order to pitch I need to feel like I set my wrists from the get-go. Should land softer and run less.
  • A "dead-arm" pitch - I've found if I keep my arms as straight as possible and go around my body more I can hit a higher spinning pitch that stops quickly.
  • A "putting" chip - Putting grip and swing, toe slightly down. Going to be good from off the fringe and trying to practice with all four wedges for different types of run out.

Trying to keep it simple, but more refined than in the past. Last year I'd try to hit every shot around the green like a bump and run and that's not ideal for me. 

This is from Gareth working with Ian (TXG) on YouTube. Gareth is eye opening. If you struggle with wedges check out the videos he did with TXG. 
I love this position.
50/50 weight.
Neutral hands.
Sternum slightly forward.
Ball off left heel.

image.png.f45e2a2a7b6867cc24b8bef9c98eb861.png

• Like 6

G410 LST | SpeedZone Big Tour | TM Sim Max 5 | Titleist 818 H2 | Z785 | ZipCore | Exotics DG-1.3

Finally had some free time tonight and was able to give the Puttout a try. I can definitely see why this can be so addictive. Started out from 5’ away and was able to get a “perfect putt” on my 13th attempt. Had a couple of close ones before that which really made me want to focus and get it done. 

FF09DCF9-20DB-40B0-A5F6-7FA21B4E9832.jpeg

• Like 4

:mizuno-small: ST-Z w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 60

:callaway-small: FT Optiforce 3W, 5W w/ Project X Velocity 53

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 HM 4-PW w/ Project X LZ 115

:callaway-small: MD4 52/56/60 W/ DG S200

:odyssey-small: White Hot RX #7

:titelist-small: Pro V1X

Went to the range for the first time since the snow!!! It’s been SO wet here. It was GREAT to finally get some swings in.

My “new” swing is still a work in progress, and one drill I do each time now is to work on how my club gets to the ball. I tend to come over-the-top and I get steep, so I’m working on dropping that club, and also adding more rotation to take pressure off my lower back. 
Here’s pic of the drill I do. You can see the ball out past my rear foot. The idea is for the club head to travel over that ball on its way to the ball I’ve addressed. It not only works on helping me drop the club on-plane, but also rotation because I’m going to have to turn my hips and body around to the left to help make contact with the ball I’ve addressed. If I just rotate from the top, the swing gets steep, so this keeps me working on two things at once. The ball behind me is two feet straight back from the addressed ball, and then one foot straight back parallel to me. I’m not hitting the rear ball, just making sure the club head passes directly over it on its way to making contact with the ball I originally addressed.

Second pic shows the result. The club shaft lines-up with my forearm on the way down.

8658DF18-397A-4111-91DF-4F390F319A0C.jpeg

8813FF28-B75D-4B5D-9B07-4C2BD757D1E7.jpeg

• Like 7

Driver: :cobra-small: King F9 Speedback, Xphlexxx Busa 2 Liquid, XX stiff, 45”

Fwy: 

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, :Fuji: Rombax 8D07HB TM27 X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4/5, Tour V 6-10, Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Back in the game a bit after hurting my wrist at work back in late December. Last night was some light hitting with wedges. Worked a a grip tweak and on my over the top issue  Tonight was more of the same but added some full 7i shots as well  

• Like 2

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

17 hours ago, StrokerAce said:

This is from Gareth working with Ian (TXG) on YouTube. Gareth is eye opening. If you struggle with wedges check out the videos he did with TXG. 
I love this position.
50/50 weight.
Neutral hands.
Sternum slightly forward.
Ball off left heel.

image.png.f45e2a2a7b6867cc24b8bef9c98eb861.png

I look so young in that photo!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Didn’t play today; they are punching fairways and rough.
Image1615411947.247003.jpg

Spent 2 hours on range try to work out my issues. Might be that my stance is too narrow. Widening it helped. More practice needed.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 6

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Spent some time after testing today to work on the iron swing.  Slowly getting better;  contact is moving toward the center and I am getting the face position in a better spot at impact.   I decided to give the smartball a try to see if it provided any benefit.  I was really impressed with the aid and it seemed to put my in good positions during the swing.     

Based on how the swing is progressing I am excited to see how I do next time I am able to get to the course.  

• Like 8

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  Bellum Winmore 787

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I’m going crazy guys, been stuck in the house for a week barely able to walk.

I was all pumped a week and a half ago after my first lesson, and hitting balls the next day at the range. Then I woke up last Friday and couldn’t get out of bed. Every once in a while my back just goes out on me, and it was that time I guess.🙄 This getting old stuff ain’t what it’s cracked up to be, that’s for sure!

The good news was there weren’t any sciatic issues, I just couldn’t straighten up because of stiffness in my lower back. Anyway, it’s starting to ease up and I’m hoping to hit the range and do some short game work tomorrow, then if it feels okay, hit a bucket or two Friday. Then come Saturday I’ll be the pigeon in our money game.... I’m sure the guys will be drooling at the chance to take my donation after two weeks off and still having a tender lower back!

Edited by Grand Stranded
  • Like 1
  • Sad 4

Driver     :callaway-small: Epic Max 10.5* Cypher 5.0

Fairway  :titelist-small: TS2 16.5* Kuro Kage R

Hybrids  :titelist-small: TS2 19* & 21* Kuro Kage R

Irons       PXG  0211 5-GW MMT 70

Wedges :titelist-small: Vokey SM7 52F & 58-M

Putter    :titelist-small: :scotty-small: Newport 2.0 33.5"

Bag       :titelist-small: Hybrid 5 stand or :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5+

Extras   :yes-small: Tracy 33.5” 

:ping-small: G400 Max 9.0* Alta CB

2 hours ago, Grand Stranded said:

I’m going crazy guys, been stuck in the house for a week barely able to walk.

I was all pumped a week and a half ago after my first lesson, and hitting balls the next day at the range. Then I woke up last Friday and couldn’t get out of bed. Every once in a while my back just goes out on me, and it was that time I guess.🙄 This getting old stuff ain’t what it’s cracked up to be, that’s for sure!

The good news was there weren’t any sciatic issues, I just couldn’t straighten up because of stiffness in my lower back. Anyway, it’s starting to ease up and I’m hoping to hit the range and do some short game work tomorrow, then if it feels okay, hit a bucket or two Friday. Then come Saturday I’ll be the pigeon in our money game.... I’m sure the guys will be drooling at the chance to take my donation after two weeks off and still having a tender lower back!

BEWARE THE WOUNDED GOLFER!!

I have found, more often than not, that when a golfer has a pain, they tend to swing a little easier and make better contact.  The result is a great round because you aren't expecting much.  Don't worry about it.  Just take their money and say Thank You!

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Two consecutive days in the high 60’s when you live in WNY means you take out a wedge and hit pitches off your dead lawn 😊

A5D33D0B-30BB-4B2F-97E7-0064EE172152.jpeg

• Like 9
  • PING G400 LST 8.5 Evenflow Black 65g 6.5
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Ben Hogan PTx Combo Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • TaylorMade MG2 TW 56 & 60 Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5
  • TaylorMade TP5

Western, NY

5.7 Index

Was able to hit real balls, out to a real range, with a real tee shirt on. 

19968642-EE89-457D-A231-72AD08FC3F45.jpeg.86821442340733d4f2e8e12ded14e67d.jpeg

swing wasn’t terrible, a bit off the heel for misses. But the pure ones...

F0F1E2D4-2665-4DC1-B32C-DCE8CF6B605E.jpeg.264d2f0924c7fb881f2897dd0fccf588.jpeg

The guy next to me was a little too impressed by my swing speed. I know that 110 isn’t all the common, but I know it’s not really rare either!

oh, and the balls were Sh!t. My cousin owns the range, they haven’t swapped balls yet so these have been the batch all winter. I’d smash about 5% of My balls were cracked or damaged. I almost know what it’s like to play a chrome soft now. 😉

And since that wasn’t enough for me I popped into the PGASS near by to hit a few things. 
339CA74F-9624-44E4-9F9D-0654F61485A7.jpeg.70068421d473e151fb1502c157bdf5f4.jpeg

88C82E9B-6AE5-4453-A6AA-2B1964981B87.jpeg.b286b01637acf9095c0ca1f1a3307154.jpeg

I can see why the Motore X was so loved during testing. 

• Like 7

#COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4 ALUMNUS

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver 10.5 - Ventus Blue 6x | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8s | :cobra-small: Speedzone 4-Hybrid - KBS Proto 85s

:cobra-small: KING Forged Tec 5-GW - Nippon Modus 120x | :cobra-small: KING MIM Black 52.12C, 56.10V, 60.04W - Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :Snell: MTB-X | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 HD Slope

Some quality time with my swing coach today.  Worked on a couple of issues.  First, we used Blast Motion to look at my tempo numbers, both before and after some adjustments we made to the takeaway.  The adjustment was to take the club head straight back rather than slightly away from me, which was my tendency, and to get the club a bit more vertical at the top and less laid off.  Used a lead foot back drill to force me more upright in the takeaway and better control balance through the swing.  Balance is always an issue for this old guy with 2 replaced knees and a bad left foot.  Results were much better contact and balance throughout the swing -- the swing's a bit more compact, but much better connected.  Blast motion numbers also saw the improvement.  Mainly worked with a 7 iron, but finished the session with the same mindset with the driver.  Again, the results were an improvement but it accentuated my tendency to get lazy with my hip turn on the downswing.  Something to work on tomorrow prior to my weekend play.

• Like 6

Driver: :ping-small: G400 Max 9 degree Alta CB55 Stiff shaft 

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M4 3W (16.5*), 5W (21*), 7W (24*), Atmos shaft R

Irons: :callaway-small:Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW KBS Tour Graphite  70g shafts R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX-2 52*, 56*, 60* wedges.  Stock shafts.

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7S

Ball: :Snell: MTB-X

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

2nd day in a row on the range hitting the large bucket of balls.  It's too many for this old body; I usually get a medium.  Contact with driver was much better than the past weekend; I hope I can take this to the course this weekend.  I ended up taking 20 or so to the pitching green after I was gassed.  

The pitching area is all torn up from lots of players using it all winter.  Hopefully, they punch and sand it this week.  I had a nice grouping on the green from 25 yards out, just working on contact and using the bounce.  Here's the sole of my 60º/12º wedge afterwards:

IMG_1363.jpeg.b598f0bba3f1691d87189677d06d1755.jpeg

• Like 5

@Kenny B ... don't you just love those mats? 😄 😄

• Like 1

Driver: :ping-small: G400 Max 9 degree Alta CB55 Stiff shaft 

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M4 3W (16.5*), 5W (21*), 7W (24*), Atmos shaft R

Irons: :callaway-small:Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW KBS Tour Graphite  70g shafts R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX-2 52*, 56*, 60* wedges.  Stock shafts.

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7S

Ball: :Snell: MTB-X

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

2 hours ago, CarlH said:

@Kenny B ... don't you just love those mats? 😄 😄

I don't use my SW or LW off mats.  The green on my LW is from bruising the grass.  Who says you can't pick a ball off a tight lie with a high bounce LW!!

• Like 3

Trying to grove my driver swing today. 80% thru the bucket pulled out my phone since not matter what I did I was always heely. Closed stance and then things were better. Nothing hooked left and everything was either straight or a straight fade. 

also did some wedge work using use the bounce and got good results

90C0B0D0-A078-442C-BE4D-79AB5AC5AC99.jpeg.7d7904654cd0588378ccd70735d2ed0e.jpeg

as well worked on putting form due to my last round having 42 putts. Made my stance less up fright and things started going better

• Like 5

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Flash SZ with Tensei Orange Pro S (1" tipped) at 44.5"

2H: :callaway-small: Super Hybrid with Tensei Orange Pro Hyb 80 Stiff (shaft may be swapped at some point) 

3H: :Sub70: 939X UST proforce V2 black F3 hybrid soft stepped XStiff UPRT setting 

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long Unofficial Review

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)  (Backup 54*,60*: :ping-small:  S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up)

Putter: :taylormade-small: Corza Ghost 35" ( Benched :odyssey-small: Toulon Las Vegas Stroke Lab  34") Soon to be testing TAIII Impact #2 Putter

Ball: :Snell:MTB-X

:Arccos:

22 hours ago, bens197 said:

Two consecutive days in the high 60’s when you live in WNY means you take out a wedge and hit pitches off your dead lawn 😊

A5D33D0B-30BB-4B2F-97E7-0064EE172152.jpeg

... Just a FYI but the new 2021 TP5x is really improved. Softer feel, more wedge/green side while maintaining low driver spin. I see why so many PGA players switched to the TP5x from the TP5 because the previous TP5x version was pretty hard feeling and lacked a little wedge/green side spin. I have to think someone with your swing speed and game could really take advantage of this ball. 

• Like 3

Driver:   TaylorMade SIM2 Max ... Diamana Limited 60R
Fairway:  Cobra SZ 14.5* ... Atmos Blue TS 7S
Utility:   Callaway Super Hybrid 17*   ... Diamana Limited 65R
               TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Limited 65R
Irons:    4-Pw Cobra King Tour MIM ... Nippon 950gh r-flex
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 50* ... Nippon 950gh r-flex
                 Mizuno T20 58* ... Nippon 950gh r-flex
Putter:  Cleveland Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:      TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

12 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Just a FYI but the new 2021 TP5x is really improved. Softer feel, more wedge/green side while maintaining low driver spin. I see why so many PGA players switched to the TP5x from the TP5 because the previous TP5x version was pretty hard feeling and lacked a little wedge/green side spin. I have to think someone with your swing speed and game could really take advantage of this ball. 

I loved the TP5 when I first tried it.  Honestly I thought it could have been the perfect ball. The Elixr then caught my eye following the MGS test and I was not disappointed. 

I’ll trust your word and give them a shot. Why not right?  Thanks for the heads up Sam. 

• Like 3
  • PING G400 LST 8.5 Evenflow Black 65g 6.5
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Ben Hogan PTx Combo Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • TaylorMade MG2 TW 56 & 60 Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5
  • TaylorMade TP5

Western, NY

5.7 Index