Why do you play the clubs you play?

That Bobby Jones hybrid you have in your signature is a good one. A friend of mine has one and it hits good. His has a Senior flex shaft in it and it is not quite enough shaft for me right now.

Oh man Stu, don't get me started on my Bobby Jones hybrid! I've tried every hybrid out there, and none of them have come close to kicking this thing out of the bag. I love it. It's got a horrible shaft in it, and I keep meaning to put a V2 hybrid shaft in it, but for as little as I hit it it's been going strong.

Driver: Taylormade SLDR, Diamana Kai'li 70 

3 Wood: Callaway X Tour 15*

Hybrid: Bobby Jones 21* (Original)

Irons: Bridgestone J38 DPC 4-PW

Wedges: Scor 4161 52*, 57*

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm like this topic... When I was looking to purchase my latest set of irons I decided first to seek out a top notch fitter. I also wanted to "try" something different. What different meant to me was

I was selected to review them, built to my specs and they have performed. So that's why they are in my bag....Cobra F6     Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

WOW, Where do i start? First off , I'm cheap. I never buy the latest, greatest whatever they are pitching that day. I have used a launch monitor when testing new clubs but primarily I use it  to get r

Posted Images

I think you're referring to The Golf Station. I've heard a lot of good things about them and the owner Tim Brantley*. It appears they lean more to the major retail brands now days as I don't see any KZG, Alpha, Wishon listed on their site. However, a few years ago when I was interviewing fitters/builders they did have them because that's what we specifically discussed. I have a friend I work with that has a set built by them. I've seen them. I forget what brand they are.... perhaps Alpha? They are sweet clubs.

However, a full fitting and a custom build done in house will cost more as opposed to having your specs sent to Cobra, Taylormade, Ping, etc. for example and then the clubs sent back. I personally would seek a fitter that builds each club by hand to exact specs. It's worth the extra cost.

Yes sir, I am referring to the Golf Station I really enjoyed meeting Tim, and he seems to do great work, I just haven't had the chance to do a full fitting. And you're right, he seems to have gone away from component companies and more towards the bigger OEMs.

Driver: Taylormade SLDR, Diamana Kai'li 70 

3 Wood: Callaway X Tour 15*

Hybrid: Bobby Jones 21* (Original)

Irons: Bridgestone J38 DPC 4-PW

Wedges: Scor 4161 52*, 57*

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport

Honestly, my current "what's in the bag" just kinda happened, it wasn't because of my knowledge of equipment or some sort of educated plan. I suspect a lot has to do with the fact that I purchase my golf stuff from a small locally owned and operated golf shop.   The closest "big boy" is about 40 minutes away.   It's kind of like "Cheers", it's good to go where everyone knows your name (and in this instance my game as well).   When it comes to Christmas, the Anniversary, or birthdays, the wife knows just to get me some golf stuff.   So she goes to this shop and asks what should I get the old man.  When she says, I think he needs some golf balls, they immediately hand her the Pro-v's.   This is how I got my clubs other than my irons.  As far as the irons, they called me to let me know the Callaway fitters were coming to the shop.  So I went they fitted me so I use Callaways.  They were a birthday gift from the wife.  If it had been the TaylorMade reps, I would probably be playing TaylorMades.   Computers and golf stuff, I must admit to some illiteracy.

• Like 5

I've had my clubs since 2011, I was custom fitted to them, I have demoed many other clubs since then, but nothing gives me the results I get with my current gamers...

• Like 1

Driver              SLDR TP 10.5* with Aldila Rogue Silver 125 MSI 60 Tour X, 44.25"

3W                  Ping G25 with Diamana White Board D+ 82X, 42.5", tipped .5"

Driving Iron     Callaway X Prototype Utility with Tour AD DI 105X

Irons               4-P Callaway Tour Authentic Prototype with KBS C-Taper 130X

Wedges          Cleveland RTX-588 46, 50, 54, 58 with True Temper DG Tour X100

Putter              Odyssey White Hot Pro Tour V-Line with Super Stroke 1.0 Pistol GT Tour, 33.25"

Golf Ball          Kirkland Signatures and Chrome Soft 2016

Nice and simple - they make me enjoy they game.

I enjoy looking at them

I enjoy how they feel

I enjoy how they perform.

My driver and irons were fit to me

My putter was fit to me

All my clubs give me fantastic performance to help me score well, but it all comes back to enjoyment.  Playing the clubs that I have makes me happy.

• Like 1

In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 Stand Bag

:ping-small: G410 LST 9* VA Nemesys 65X
:ping-small: G410 LST 14.5* Tour AD DI 7X
:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X
:mizuno-small: MP20 HMB 4 Tour AD 95X
:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-PW Oban CT 115 X(-)
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50F - 54S - 59D
:scotty-small: Phantom X 5.5 (2021)
:titelist-small: ProV1

response are very interesting.  I would have thought more people would be doing comparisons on launch monitors instead of going by looks/feel.    For those that said performance,  I'd be more interested in how you measure performance of your clubs.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  Bellum Winmore 787

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

response are very interesting.  I would have thought more people would be doing comparisons on launch monitors instead of going by looks/feel.    For those that said performance,  I'd be more interested in how you measure performance of your clubs.

For me it's ball flight with the irons along with carry distance. I hit my irons consistently the same distance (on average) with a very pleasing trajectory IMO. Having a monitor to get precise with it, would be cool, however I don't have access, so I have to go with visual and feel.  I have hit some of my friend's seven irons (against my 7 iron) with results that are much worse than my own irons.  Yea it could be the shaft to include flex for sure, or it could be the loft built into the irons, and the design of the head. Players, GI & and SGI  irons are quite different, as they have different individual characteristics.  It could be a comfort thing, as I have played my irons for quite a few years now. What ever it is, I know for now, my current irons are better than what I have tried. Not very scientific however the feel is mighty sweet. As far as the looks go, my irons give me that give me another piece of warm apple pie with the cool whip kind of feel.

• Like 2

Callaway  Epic Flash 10.5 Driver
Callaway MAVRIK MAX 3 - wood
Callaway Big Bertha 2019  4 & 5 hybrid 
Callaway Mavrik Max 6 hybrid
Tommy Armour 845 MAX 7 - GW Irons
Cleveland CBX 2 54 Degree SW
Cleveland CBX Full-Face Wedge 58 degree
Tommy Armour
 Impact No. 2 Wide Blade Putter with SuperStoke 3.0 Grip

2021 Official Reviewer: MotoCaddy M7

response are very interesting. I would have thought more people would be doing comparisons on launch monitors instead of going by looks/feel. For those that said performance, I'd be more interested in how you measure performance of your clubs.

I'm an old school guy too. Most of us grew up in a time when that tech stuff didn't exist. We learned to choose clubs and fit them based on feel.

I honestly think the GI and SGI irons, and other 'fitting based on handicap' is just the industry taking money from easy victims. Everyone starts playing, realizes it's harder than you think, and gets sucked into this 'forgiveness' sales pitch.

You go pay for a computer-aided fitting, buy some SGI irons based on your 30+ handicap, and try to play. Next year, you're down to low 20's, so you get a fitting for a set of GI irons, next year some CB's, and on and on...

A lot of younger guys just have a swing. Nothing more, just a repeatable swing with a different club depending on distance.

Way back when, you got a set of blades - no other option available. You learned to feel what worked as soon as you hit the ball, and you didn't want to feel the bad shots. No club has a specific distance - it varies depending on the shape of the shot, and the distance needed.

Further, as you got better, you could keep playing the same set you started with, and a lot of guys played the same set until there were no grooves left in the sweet spot.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 4

I'm an uninformed hacker, never had a fitting, don't know my numbers on any clubs. I'm also a cheapskate, so all my clubs are trial and error purchased on reviews and bargains.

R1 TP w/Fujikura Speeder57 Evolution Stiff
Speedline Super S 3W 15* w/Matrix HD Radix S 60 Stiff
Idea Tech V4 3-hybrid Stiff
Blue Irons 5-PW TrueTemper Dynalite 85 Stiff
CG15 52* & 588 RTX 56* Wedges
Cure RXi

• 4 weeks later...

For me, it's what performs the best in tournaments. I have a driver sitting in a closet that give me better numbers at the range but I just didn't trust it when hitting a high fade and believing that it will fade back.

Callaway XR 5-pw kbs v tour 110 - callaway wedges 52/56/60 dif grinds gunmetal black 52/60 chrome 56 mack daddy wedge, 60 degree has low bounce. Driver Aeroburner 9.5 compz shaft stiff 3 wood aeroburner compz shaft stiff aeroburner mini driver standard stock saft stiff hybrid callaway big bertha recoil shaft stiff putter mallet face balanced odyssey v line

Bags

From the very beginning I chose my clubs mostly on looks and playability for my game. It has to look and feel right in my hands. I bought clubs that weren't right for my skill level at times and if I couldn't get use to them, they'd end up back at the store or sold on the bay.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

WITB:

Driver:   :cobra-small: F9 driver 9* stiff shaft 

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* regular shaft

Hybrids:  :nike-small: Vapor Flex  3 hybrid regular shaft 

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Ben Hogan BHB01 blade

Ball:  :Snell: Black

Bag: 2015 Ogio Chamber Cart Bag & 2018 MyGolfSpy Stand Bag

My irons look good to me, feel good, and the ball flight is just right. This is my second set of the Cally XF Razr irons,

My hybrids are also Razr X and they are easy to hit and have that sit down and have a cold beer feel to em.

My driver (Ping G25). Has been around for a few years now. 2017 needs to be the year I get a good driver fitting... [emoji6]

I lOVE my Cleveland S wedge! Easy as eating black eye peas with corn bread ❤️

My putters are all in jeopardy of being benched so they better behave this season [emoji959]🏻

• Like 2

Tommy Armour

response are very interesting. I would have thought more people would be doing comparisons on launch monitors instead of going by looks/feel. For those that said performance, I'd be more interested in how you measure performance of your clubs.

When I first started playing I went with what "The guy at the store told me I needed" [emoji3]

Fitting? What is this thing you speak of called Fitting?

As time went by and I became a better golfer, talked to club pros, played with better golfers whom I asked questions regarding the clubs they had, it slowly dawned on me the clubs I had were not really what I should be playing at my handicap. When I started playing breaking 100 was an achievement, breaking 90 was a day I still remember. I was still using clubs I bought off the rack at Dicks Sporting Goods. Around this time things start clicking in your head that perhaps the equipment could be part of the reason I can't break 80 and you begin to do "The Search for the perfect set".

This is when you start to think about distance and feel and performance. Over the past 6-8 years I have been chasing those goals and honing in on all three. I used to have a mixed bag of clubs that at the time I felt gave me some of the above criteria. I personally like sticking with one manufacturer for irons and putter. Driver and other woods (metals? Ugh - hate that word) I could do with whatever performed and felt good.

Recently I had a full bag fitting with TaylorMade and for me found the perfect combo for distance, feel and performance all from one company.

I gained 12-15 yards on my irons, they felt good and looked good.

It is always fun when standing on a 160 yd par 3 and my partners ask what I am hitting and I say 8 iron they shake their heads and pull out their 6 iron or 5 hybrid and ask me how is that possible.

To sum it up I would say Feel comes first, Performance second, Looks third for me. Then there is the fourth criteria Cost. That one is of course a individual criteria only you can answer (or your spouse). Since at my stage in life at 66 years old and retired I am willing to spend a bit more money on the game as it consumes so much of my time now that I do not work. Right now I am willing to spend whatever it takes to enjoy this thing called Golf.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

WITB - :taylormade-small:

Driver - TaylorMade M2 - Stiff flex / 12.5*

3 & 7 Wood - TaylorMade M2

6i -Gap - TaylorMade M4- Stiff flex

Wedges - TaylorMade ATV 55* & 60*

Putter - Odyssey 2 Ball

Ball - Titleist Pro V1

Bushnell Tour V3 rangefinder

Right Handed Neutral lie on all clubs

It is always fun when standing on a 160 yd par 3 and my partners ask what I am hitting and I say 8 iron they shake their heads and pull out their 6 iron or 5 hybrid and ask me how is that possible.

Must be because their clubs are a lot older, and your 8i has the same loft as their 6i?   :)  Good job!  A 160y 8i is very impressive for a 66 year old.

• Like 2

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Must be because their clubs are a lot older, and your 8i has the same loft as their 6i? :) Good job! A 160y 8i is very impressive for a 66 year old.

He's going to embarrass DawgDaddy and I when we head up to play his course... [emoji15]. My six iron is at the 160ish mark with a few more yards in the warm weather. [emoji1303]

• Like 2

Tommy Armour

He's going to embarrass DawgDaddy and I when we head up to play his course... [emoji15]. My six iron is at the 160ish mark with a few more yards in the warm weather. [emoji1303]

Guess the balls fly further here in the mountains where the air is thin, the moonshine is cheap and the Georgia women are prettier.

Seriously though, when I switched to TaylorMade M2 irons I gained 12-15 yards. I also had my 8 iron bent to a 6 iron loft to impress my playing partners B)

Just kidding though they are a few degrees stronger.

• Like 2

WITB - :taylormade-small:

Driver - TaylorMade M2 - Stiff flex / 12.5*

3 & 7 Wood - TaylorMade M2

6i -Gap - TaylorMade M4- Stiff flex

Wedges - TaylorMade ATV 55* & 60*

Putter - Odyssey 2 Ball

Ball - Titleist Pro V1

Bushnell Tour V3 rangefinder

Right Handed Neutral lie on all clubs

Guess the balls fly further here in the mountains where the air is thin, the moonshine is cheap and the Georgia women are prettier.

Seriously though, when I switched to TaylorMade M2 irons I gained 12-15 yards. I also had my 8 iron bent to a 6 iron loft to impress my playing partners B)

Just kidding though they are a few degrees stronger.

Hey save me some of that shine when we head your way!  :D

• Like 1

Tommy Armour

Got to a curtain point where i couldnt just play off the shelf clubs. Everything in my bag has been carefully thought out, and hours of continuous "R&D". Honestly i wish i would have been fitted when i was in high school, i feel like my iron game has only improved since i got custom fitted for my Miuras. Now we are trying to figure out what shafts going to fit best for my high swing speed. Driver used to be my most consistent club in the bag, until about 4-5 years ago, basically once i stopped playing college golf. Even gone so far as to find old callaway heads i used to play lol

Clubs in Sig.  

Driver: 917D3 with Whiteboard 70x & Epic SZ (shaft testing)---Need help
Fairway Wood: 917F3 with 80X Whiteboard, Testing Epic SZ 3w as well (shaft testing)---Need help

Hybrid: Titleist H2 19* w/ Whiteboard 90x

Irons: Miura/Steel Fiber 110

Wedges: Titleist SM5 56, SM6 52

Putter: Bettinardi Queen Bee #6

Ball: ProV1x/Callaway Chrome

• 1 month later...

Just found a set of irons that looked great and I hit them well. At this point I don't think I'll find anything better that I'm willing to pay for.

• Like 1

Mizuno JPX 825 4-G

Ping G25 Driver

Ping G400 Crossover 19*

Seemore Putter