hckymeyer

DIY Black Putter Shaft (or other colors)

Our Sponsors

Awesome. I've used heat shrink for years on various tools and want not, but never even crossed my mind to use it on a shaft. I'm gonna do a black shaft on my Ketsch and paint fill with high gloss black.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3

that's very cool!  I would think the thickness of the heatshrink would make it hard to get the grip on....looks awesome

• Like 1

that's very cool!  I would think the thickness of the heatshrink would make it hard to get the grip on....looks awesome

Depends on the grip, but it's basically just a few layers of tape.  Nothing different than building up the grip a few wraps.  Superstroke was tight, but I got it on with a little elbow grease :)

edit:  You could also just cut the tubing right at the end of the grip so just the very end is tucked under the grip.

• Like 6

A buddy of mine coats guns and stuff and in was gonna get him to do some of my shafts this year but this is even easier. Thanks for the heads up! Should work the same on irons shafts too huh?

A buddy of mine coats guns and stuff and in was gonna get him to do some of my shafts this year but this is even easier. Thanks for the heads up! Should work the same on irons shafts too huh?

Might add a couple grams of weight, but the tubing itself would work.

I have a buddy that owns a paint shop and he's painted a few different iron shafts which has also worked very well.  A knick in the paint wouldn't be a huge deal, but I would think a knick in the tubing would eventually keep spreading and peal off.

Might add a couple grams of weight, but the tubing itself would work.

I have a buddy that owns a paint shop and he's painted a few different iron shafts which has also worked very well.  A knick in the paint wouldn't be a huge deal, but I would think a knick in the tubing would eventually keep spreading and peal off.

Good point, didn't think about that. I'm gonna at least do this with my putter. Thanks again.

There are multiple sizes of this stuff on ebay. What dimensions of the shrink should I get?

Everything I am reading says 16mm to fit over a .610 shaft butt. For those that are metric challenged that is 5/8".

• Like 2

Everything I am reading says 16mm to fit over a .610 shaft butt. For those that are metric challenged that is 5/8".

Isn't that thickness of material and not inner diameter of the product?

Chris

Isn't that thickness of material and not inner diameter of the product?

Chris

5/8" or 16mm is correct.  That's the size you want.

Also should note make sure to look at the pictures when ordering.  Some of this stuff comes with stamped lettering on the outside and I'm guessing nobody wants that on their putters :)

• Like 3

http://www.ebay.com/itm/16-0mm-5-8-Polyolefin-Heat-Shrink-Tubing-Tube-Sleeve-Wrap-BEST-DEAL-US-SHIP-/221353520127?var=&hash=item3389b2abff:m:ml42eCDEO0UlTj93clC_7Vg

That's the stuff I bought.  Doesn't say if 2:1 or 3:1.  I would think either would be fine though, it's just how much it shrinks down and either one will shrink small enough to be tight around the hosel.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/16-0mm-5-8-Polyolefin-Heat-Shrink-Tubing-Tube-Sleeve-Wrap-BEST-DEAL-US-SHIP-/221353520127?var=&hash=item3389b2abff:m:ml42eCDEO0UlTj93clC_7Vg

That's the stuff I bought. Doesn't say if 2:1 or 3:1. I would think either would be fine though, it's just how much it shrinks down and either one will shrink small enough to be tight around the hosel.

It shows as a 2:1 rario in the Description

It shows as a 2:1 rario in the Description

Ha ha...it pays to scroll down some times :)  Thanks for catching that!

Well, I ordered a 50' roll of heat shrink on eBay........let the fun begin.

First up is the Ketsch.

Before

IMG_7987.JPG

After

IMG_7993.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 9