When your 3 wood starts out performing your driver

Why can't it all click at the same time?

Because golf.

• Like 6

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSi2 Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.0
Fairway: :Sub70: 939X 15° Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
Hybrid: :Sub70: 939X 3 Hybrid Project X Even Flow Riptide 6.0
Irons: :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 4-GW Project X Catalyst 80 6.0
Wedge: :cleveland-small: Smartsole S
Putter :yes-small: Tracy
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls::Snell: MTB-X or Black

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the Queen🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

My guess is that you might be swinging down on the driver? If you have a negative angle of attack, the three wood will be the better option most of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

I played a couple of rounds last summer only hitting 4-iron off the tee. I was hitting a lot more fairways, and I was still hitting short/mid irons into greens. It pays!

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

With all due respect it really doesn't. I'm sorry but this is poor advice to follow. By all means hit the 4 iron while you learn to hit the driver but you are tossing strokes away by settling for this. I really don't care how long you hit the ball with your four iron you are giving away 50 yards to your potential thereby effectively making the course play 900 yards or 6 strokes more difficult at least. Of course there may be an occasional hole that calls for an iron off the tee but that's the exception not the norm.

Just go to your pro and learn how to hit the driver whatever that may mean. If it's fit right it is a very easy club to hit. On a tee, level lie - the problem is that it's not often fit properly, too long a shaft, not enough loft whatever.

This should be a relatively easy fix.

• Like 2

Ping G410 - turned down to11.25 degrees, neutral setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

SCOR 52,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Currently testing Edison wedges to replace SCORS that are wearing out. Also auditions for the 14th spot in the bag.  Current possibilities are a Ping 26 degree hybrid - duplicates the 9 wood or 5 iron but would be used almost exclusively for chipping or Tour Exotics 3 wood simply because you can carry 14 clubs and I might occasionally hit it in certain unusual wind conditions once every four or five rounds. 

Find a driver that has a smaller cc head that you like looking at. Less than 460cc older ones can be found cheap usually. Get one that has a shaft you can swing and cut it down to around 44"....

The riddle will be on its way to being solved.

As others have said, until you figure out how to hit your driver, use the 3 wood.   It's what ever works, remember the often used statement-its not how but how many.   Unfortunately, I don't have the devil's club in my bag.   I have tried every 3 wood made for lefties and have yet to find one I can hit.  

Find a driver that has a smaller cc head that you like looking at. Less than 460cc older ones can be found cheap usually. Get one that has a shaft you can swing and cut it down to around 44"....

I truly agree with this. I have not had a 460cc driver in years because I tend to get sloppy with contact. Try 430 or 440 and it may appeal to your eye much more

In my bag:

Driver: :cobra-small: Speedzone 10.5* lofted down to 9.0* Fujikura Atmos Black TS 6X

Wood: :cobra-small: Speedzone Tour Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7X

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: MIM Tour Irons 4-PW Project X 6.5

Wedges: :cobra-small: MIM Black 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X 

If that's what your pro and fitter recommend for you.

Just remember that a solution that works for you or I may not work for him. However I agree that it's a very possible solution and great idea if he's not going pro/fitter.

I don't know why he wouldn't though. He may get off for under two hundred dollars. What if he goes for a $50 lesson, $100 fitting and the fitter determines he should get a shaft that costs $40 installed with a grip plus a tweak to the adjustable head?

He's spent $190 and has a whole new arsenal for his game.

• Like 2

Ping G410 - turned down to11.25 degrees, neutral setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 52,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Currently testing Edison wedges to replace SCORS that are wearing out. Also auditions for the 14th spot in the bag.  Current possibilities are a Ping 26 degree hybrid - duplicates the 9 wood or 5 iron but would be used almost exclusively for chipping or Tour Exotics 3 wood simply because you can carry 14 clubs and I might occasionally hit it in certain unusual wind conditions once every four or five rounds. 

I did a fitting and was matched with a new shaft into my SLDR. Generally hitting it pretty well, but after working on my irons more, I just started getting loose with the driver. Then I think it's a bit of over thinking mixed with making unnecessary adjustments to the configuration of the driver and now I'm over thinking and I've just started to lose confidence.

And I was noticing that I hit my 3 wood (Cleveland Classic XL) much straighter consistently and the distance is pretty good. I don't over think my 3 wood, there's no adjustments, I just step up and smack it.

• Like 1

Srixon Z545 Driver

Cleveland Classic 5 wood

Cleveland Mashie #3 Hybrid

Srixon H45 #4 Hybrid

Srixon Z-565 irons (5-PW)

Cleveland RTX 2.0 wedges (48° & 56°)

Cleveland CBX 60° wedge

Cleveland TFi Cero putter

Srixon Z-Star XV

If that's what your pro and fitter recommend for you.

Just remember that a solution that works for you or I may not work for him. However I agree that it's a very possible solution and great idea if he's not going pro/fitter.

I don't know why he wouldn't though. He may get off for under two hundred dollars. What if he goes for a $50 lesson, $100 fitting and the fitter determines he should get a shaft that costs $40 installed with a grip plus a tweak to the adjustable head?

He's spent $190 and has a whole new arsenal for his game.

Of course you right on all accounts revkev.

A pro or fitter recommendation would usually not be of this nature. Shorter and smaller for the driver isnt the done, is it, except out on tour. Go figure.

It is something that was done on the range with those of us that had clubs to tinker with and the time and tools to do it, true enough. Very true about that that $40 shaft too, especially if you play an adjustable.

Lessons with the Driver that you can consistently hit the sweet spot with are what matter to me rather than trying to work a 46" off the shelf/fitted wompum stick that is changed and messed with every year or two while the ball, the 'no 1 ball in golf', anyway, has been changed every year or two to suit it. Or visa versa it has been said.

It is no surprise to me anymore when people struggle with that latest  $400 unit in their bag which has left them like a duck flying south for the winter. Which is also why the 2015 Pro V1 model was the last preferred ball out there while the Senoirs played one much older that had a black dot on the box and was kept in production for them. The 2015 is still a much sought after used ball for those that use them and know. Supposedly the new V1 is going or has gone back to that make up.

IMO Snell and maybe some others can be thanked for that.

• Like 1

So I set my driver back to neutral and used it sparingly during my round yesterday... Hit my 3 wood on the 1st & 2nd then had a swing of the driver on the 3rd once my swing was a bit more warmed up. Then mixed it up depending on the hole from there on out, but mostly went back to the 3 wood when I needed to be accurate.

The biggest take away is that with the 3 wood, I am confident to wind up and crank it. And it's going to be pretty close to where I wanted it to go.

Where as if I wind up and crank the driver, I just don't know what's going to happen.

Srixon Z545 Driver

Cleveland Classic 5 wood

Cleveland Mashie #3 Hybrid

Srixon H45 #4 Hybrid

Srixon Z-565 irons (5-PW)

Cleveland RTX 2.0 wedges (48° & 56°)

Cleveland CBX 60° wedge

Cleveland TFi Cero putter

Srixon Z-Star XV

Back on the smaller head thing the pros prefer a smaller head because they don't need the bigger sweet spot and it's easier to work.

Any fitter worth his salt is going to carefully consider shaft length. The first issue he has is trying to get the guy on the sweet spot consistently and that is often a matter of shaft length. He's unlikely to go smaller head because most of us need the additional forgiveness that a larger head affords.

It is funny how we all differ. I hate my fairway woods and dread the holes I need to use them on. It's a big sigh of relief for me when that shots over with.

Give me driver anyway - at least my mistakes with be straight.

• Like 1

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 52,60

EVNRoll ER 5