Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

Injury Thread

STUDque

I have an appointment set with the orthopedic surgeon on June 20 to talk about my knee and how badly it's been acting up the past 6-8 months. On the good side it's not locking up or giving out on me at all, but even with a brace on when I'm on my feet for an extended period of time or doing a lot of strenuous activity, it hurts for days afterwards. To the point where my right hip is now hurting too due to the overcompensation. My buddy is a surgical tech and does a lot of the cases this particular doc has, he was going over all the different things that could end up resulting here. Best case it's just a scope and a few days rest, worst case it's a lot of work on my meniscus and I'm out of action 4-6 weeks. Fingers crossed for best case!!

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

18 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

I have an appointment set with the orthopedic surgeon on June 20 to talk about my knee and how badly it's been acting up the past 6-8 months. On the good side it's not locking up or giving out on me at all, but even with a brace on when I'm on my feet for an extended period of time or doing a lot of strenuous activity, it hurts for days afterwards. To the point where my right hip is now hurting too due to the overcompensation. My buddy is a surgical tech and does a lot of the cases this particular doc has, he was going over all the different things that could end up resulting here. Best case it's just a scope and a few days rest, worst case it's a lot of work on my meniscus and I'm out of action 4-6 weeks. Fingers crossed for best case!!

Good luck.  Sounds like we are taking similar routes.  Only difference when I asked Orthopedic Doc to scope meniscus he said no, I don’t have a enough left to scope.  I went with GelSyn to get thru Covid.  I hope the Scope will do it for you. 

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

18 hours ago, sirchunksalot said:

I hope everything is ok. 

17 hours ago, Rickp said:

Oh boy, that sucks. Hope it’s nothing major.  Good luck tomorrow.

5 hours ago, tommc23 said:

Oooffff that sucks good luck, the good thing is you needed to go about the other hip so this gave you an excuse.

Thanks everyone!

Perhaps the most disappointing part of the whole thing is... It was *such* a beautiful day out there that day .. perfect weather, perfect temp, great playing partners, course in literally perfect condition (not too dry, not too soft), greens were rolling fast and true, no one pressing us from behind, ...

So it goes!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

19 hours ago, cksurfdude said:

Well.. only a few days later, and .. yep I did it.... Except ...

Injured the left hip, the one that was surgically repaired/replaced 4+ years ago. 

Not even a full swing .. just under 100 yd approach from the rough on an uneven lie .. targetward was uphill and the ball was slightly below the feet. Had a stable stance and got the shot off, tho pulled it left of intended line .. turned back to look at grass and check my swing line and POP! went (something?) on the left side...

Seeing the ortho tomorrow .. been meaning to visit anyway as the right hip is starting to bother me 🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Hope it works out for you.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

2 hours ago, MDGolfHacker said:

Hope it works out for you.

MDGolfHacker

Thx!!

So got back from the ortho and I can tell my wife Dr. Mom 😉 that no, I didn't displace the joint out its socket, but I may have torn the "IT band" which is a pretty major connector from the leg to the pelvis... A few more days rest (IF I can stand it) then back yet once more to see my friendly local PT - who happens to be a good golfer! 

Putter...Ev
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

followthrough.jpg

2 hours ago, cksurfdude said:

Thx!!

So got back from the ortho and I can tell my wife Dr. Mom 😉 that no, I didn't displace the joint out its socket, but I may have torn the "IT band" which is a pretty major connector from the leg to the pelvis... A few more days rest (IF I can stand it) then back yet once more to see my friendly local PT - who happens to be a good golfer! 

I hope it's not the psoas.  I did something to mine on my right side and it's bother me for a month now.  It finally stopped spasming a couple of days ago; being doing my stretches and stopped crunches.  I'm too old for this!!  Literally!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

19 hours ago, Kenny B said:

I hope it's not the psoas.  I did something to mine on my right side and it's bother me for a month now.  It finally stopped spasming a couple of days ago; being doing my stretches and stopped crunches.  I'm too old for this!!  Literally!!

Don't think so, tho haven't seen the PT yet. From what I understand the psoas is more in the front of the thigh and lower abdomen, vs what I damaged towards the side and back of the upper thigh. See what happens as you get older and you inadvertantly (unwantedly really!) get schooled in all this anatomy and medical stuff..?

FYI two treatments for severe spasms that have helped me are TENS (electro stim) therapy and "trigger point" injections (a small dose of muscle relaxers applied directly into the muscle).

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

On 5/26/2022 at 10:30 AM, cksurfdude said:

Don't think so, tho haven't seen the PT yet. From what I understand the psoas is more in the front of the thigh and lower abdomen, vs what I damaged towards the side and back of the upper thigh. See what happens as you get older and you inadvertantly (unwantedly really!) get schooled in all this anatomy and medical stuff..?

FYI two treatments for severe spasms that have helped me are TENS (electro stim) therapy and "trigger point" injections (a small dose of muscle relaxers applied directly into the muscle).

I don't know much about the psoas muscles but I know they connect your spine to your femur, so yes they can be a source of pain in the low back on each side.  They are important for standing and walking, and in my case... getting out of bed in the morning.  The spasms were excruciating, but then the pain is gone when I get up.  (Notice I said "were"; the spasms have ceased.)  I've been doing core strengthening exercises (without crunches because that may have exacerbated the issue to begin with).  I think that because they were weak, I was overusing other muscles in my back... dang, it's hard getting old.

News flash!!  I went to the doc this morning for my annual medicare wellness check. (First time with my new doc).  One of the questions on the form I had to fill out was:  "Hope would you rate your health compared to others your age?"  I had no idea how to answer that... mostly because I don't associate with anyone my age.  My wife is ~9 years younger, and many of the people I play golf with are younger still.  When the doc finished, I asked:  "You see a lot of people my age.  How would you rate my health compared to them?"  The doc said:  "Much better than the average 75-year old!!"  So I got that going for me... which is nice!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

12 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

I don't know much about the psoas muscles but I know they connect your spine to your femur, so yes they can be a source of pain in the low back on each side.  They are important for standing and walking, and in my case... getting out of bed in the morning.  The spasms were excruciating, but then the pain is gone when I get up.  (Notice I said "were"; the spasms have ceased.)  I've been doing core strengthening exercises (without crunches because that may have exacerbated the issue to begin with).  I think that because they were weak, I was overusing other muscles in my back... dang, it's hard getting old.

News flash!!  I went to the doc this morning for my annual medicare wellness check. (First time with my new doc).  One of the questions on the form I had to fill out was:  "Hope would you rate your health compared to others your age?"  I had no idea how to answer that... mostly because I don't associate with anyone my age.  My wife is ~9 years younger, and many of the people I play golf with are younger still.  When the doc finished, I asked:  "You see a lot of people my age.  How would you rate my health compared to them?"  The doc said:  "Much better than the average 75-year old!!"  So I got that going for me... which is nice!

You, Chris, and I are restricted from posting in this thread until after the PNW Meet-up!  Based on my trip itinerary, I'll probably be posting upon my return home 😬 🤣

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

29 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

You, Chris, and I are restricted from posting in this thread until after the PNW Meet-up!  Based on my trip itinerary, I'll probably be posting upon my return home 😬 🤣

I'm doing my best to get rid of all my aches and pains before our PNW Meet-Up.  Probably not going to happen; life gets in the way for people 75+!!

Oh BTW, I removed grips that were glued on last Monday and my right thumb is swollen and very sore. Using air to put grips on and take off is so much easier, but a friend of mine wanted some Dynamic Gold S300 shafts I had lying around; I will definitely not be using them... ever!!

12 hours ago, Kenny B said:

I'm doing my best to get rid of all my aches and pains before our PNW Meet-Up.  Probably not going to happen; life gets in the way for people 75+!!

Oh BTW, I removed grips that were glued on last Monday and my right thumb is swollen and very sore. Using air to put grips on and take off is so much easier, but a friend of mine wanted some Dynamic Gold S300 shafts I had lying around; I will definitely not be using them... ever!!

Speaking of shafts you and I will never use, this is what I'm removing from the 6i I just purchased.  I plan to re-purpose it as a loft/lie bending bar 😆.

image.png.cd559f298618f37b4e495d76883b1556.png

53 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Speaking of shafts you and I will never use, this is what I'm removing from the 6i I just purchased.  I plan to re-purpose it as a loft/lie bending bar 😆.

image.png.cd559f298618f37b4e495d76883b1556.png

That club is an updated version of my 5 year old Bridgestone set.

4 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

That club is an updated version of my 5 year old Bridgestone set.

I've done a ton of poking around the web looking at various irons to start a DIY project, and for some reason, a number of Bridgestone models have caught my eye. These emerged onto the scene a few years ago and were reviewed by 4 fellow spies with very positive feedback.  But it seems BS has a tough time breaking through.   There isn't all that much press on them.

I see some similarities of these with both the Z585 and ZX5's.  They are a full body and face forged design and, by most accounts and like the new ZX series, are forged by the Endo facility in Japan.  Anyway, I think it's a good start for my DIY build combo bag.

• 1 month later...

Note to self, when playing backyard soccer barefoot with your nephew make sure you maintain your footing.

Slipped/slid yesterday and definitely pulled something from my knee up the inside of my thigh. 

I don't go easy, nephew is a champ and going to be a very good soccer player down the road.

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

4 minutes ago, Lacassem said:

Note to self, when playing backyard soccer barefoot with your nephew make sure you maintain your footing.

Slipped/slid yesterday and definitely pulled something from my knee up the inside of my thigh. 

I don't go easy, nephew is a champ and going to be a very good soccer player down the road.

Oh oh, hope it’s nothing serious. 

Rick

Left Hand, 

4 minutes ago, Lacassem said:

Sounds like what I did lifting this past winter. I assume it was the sartorius muscle.

Definitely keep an eye on it - mine severely limited the internal rotation inside my right hip. I ended up going to PT for about five times this past May because of it. Thankfully several good assisted stretching sessions and some band work got me back to better than before!

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

5 minutes ago, Rickp said:

Oh oh, hope it’s nothing serious. 

I don't think so. My knee swelled up a little bit and iced it last night.

4 minutes ago, edingc said:

Sounds like what I did lifting this past winter. I assume it was the sartorius muscle.

Definitely keep an eye on it - mine severely limited the internal rotation inside my right hip. I ended up going to PT for about five times this past May because of it. Thankfully several good assisted stretching sessions and some band work got me back to better than before!

Yea going to continue ice and will throw in some band work towards the end of the week. Not super tight right now which is good but I can tell my internal hip is a little bound up. Can tell its going to take a few weeks of good stretching though

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

1 hour ago, Lacassem said:

I don't think so. My knee swelled up a little bit and iced it last night.

Yea going to continue ice and will throw in some band work towards the end of the week. Not super tight right now which is good but I can tell my internal hip is a little bound up. Can tell its going to take a few weeks of good stretching though

You know... WE are getting a little bit older.  😁

Keep stretching.

19 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Keep stretching.

WHAT! I have to start stretching now. I didn't get the memo once I got into my 60's. Forget it, I'm just not going to get any older!  That will fix it!

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

20 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

WHAT! I have to start stretching now. I didn't get the memo once I got into my 60's. Forget it, I'm just not going to get any older!  That will fix it!

You aren't stretching!?!  Well then, at your age I wouldn't start now.  It could be tragic!  I'd hate to hear about you not reaching your #2 hole dogleg left uphill to the green in two shots anymore!!

As for getting older... sorry it's gonna happen!!  😂

59 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Keep stretching.

I still feel 25!....some days

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

36 minutes ago, Lacassem said:

I still feel 25!....some days

Me too times 3……

Rick

Left Hand, 

• 4 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, tommc23 said:

Tweaked my back a little today but a heating pad and my pool has definitely helped loosen things up

Please be careful Tommy. Don’t want to do any damage.

Rick

Left Hand, 

1 hour ago, tommc23 said:

It’s the same issue I’ve had for years. It’s all a sign I need to lose more weight 

Do it while you are young... it's much harder as you get older... speaking from experience.

5 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Do it while you are young... it's much harder as you get older... speaking from experience.

Ummm, ya. My bad practices years ago is why I’m getting new parts in my mid 70’s. But it may have been worth it.😜

Rick

Left Hand, 

10 hours ago, tommc23 said:

It’s the same issue I’ve had for years. It’s all a sign I need to lose more weight 

Take all the pressure you can off your back. Gravity is a real PITA 😂

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

• 3 weeks later...

Been having a lot of foot issues lately, I am pretty much out of commission since its pretty hard to walk. Started with my right foot but that quickly got better, but then my left foot started hurting real bad. Its the ball of my left foot, its painful to out pressure on it and even more so to take pressure off of it. now its swelling too ugh Motrin and Tylenol +ice aren't really making a dent in the pain.

Might have to go back to the podiatrist... 

Driver - default_taylormade-small.jpg R9 Superdeep TP 10.5* - Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 65g XStiff Shaft

3 Wood - 2020 1ef73718.png Tight Lies 16* - Aldila Synergy Red 50-S Shaft

2 Hybrid - 1ef73718.png Idea Pro - Aldila VS Proto+ 'By You' 80-S Shaft

3 Iron - default_taylormade-small.jpg R7TP DGTT SL S300 Shaft

4-9 Irons - default_taylormade-small.jpg R7TP DGTT X-100 Shafts (6i has mismatched Project X 6.0 shaft)

Sand Wedge - Adams GT XTreme 2 SW

Putter - default_ping-small.jpg Heppler Tomcat 14

Ball - default_titelist-small.jpg Tour Soft