Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Starters and Golf Advise

Bags

is it me or do find most starters lets just say a little on the grumpy side? I tip them and say hello make small talk etc..... GM s and management should take notice these starters can have a negative impact with their course reviews.

Number 1 unwritten rule in golf is drumroll....... wait for it .... Never Ever give swing advise unless asked. The funny thing is its usually someone who is worse then you as well lol people are nuts.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

The best golf advice you can give someone is, "keep your head down."

I'm kidding. Don't ever say that. 😉

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

I'll have to be careful here. And keep in mind I'm talking about starters in general not any one specific course

Ans for the most part speaking about daily gee municipal type courses. Not high end resorts.

Most not all...are retired. 90% of them do it for the free golf. Most don't need the income. So there is a lack of motivation in that regard. Most also are doing it to get away from the wife for 4 or 5 hours. You might or might not be shocked at how many say they absolutely can't spend 24 hours a day with said wife. I can see that.

Now a few things in their defense. It's not the most fun job in the world. Your outside in the elements for 5 hours. Sure thsts great on a beautiful 75 degree day. But in our area we can have two straight months of 90 plus degrees with high humidity. Rain and cold aren't much fun either.

Then there are the golfers. I'm sure we are all well educated, polite, considerate and patient.

Shockingly all are not . They deal with players who show up late and say "I'll be ready in 10 minutes, just work me in somewhere"

They deal with impatient golfers during frost delays. Players not listening. To them while they are running down rules of the day. Then breaking said rules less than 5 minutes later.

Being yelled at because the course is too crowded. Expect to be given special permission to go off the back nine because nobody is on the tee. (They don't know or care thst maintenance is on the back nine now to stay ahead of the golfers). They of course promise not to get in the way.

Those are just a few. I'm sure there are lots more.

That said. It's never OK to be rude or short. This is a customer service job and should be treated as such. We put ALL our employees including the maintenance crews through a pretty good customer service orientation and training. You hope most of it sticks.

Yeah we have one who is a self professed range instructor. He's actually a pretty good player and only offers it to people that are obviously true beginners. And he's such a likeable friendly guy most don't mind. He won't approach anybody that is remotely knows what they are doing.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Carolina Golfer summed it up pretty well especially on most of the starters and bag drop guys here. Most are retirees doing it for the reasons he stated. I have a lot of friends that are starters and rangers on this end of the beach. I have helped them out at my former course when they were in a jam and I do not know if I would want to do it when and if I retire. Around here they put up with more BS than the average starter. We have tourist morons that think just because they are on vacation they can do as they damn well please. They in general do not repair ball marks or fill divots with sand. After all they are here only a week or so. I asked a guy one day when I saw him doing something with a cart if they put up with that nonsense at his home club? His standard reply "well we are here on vacation" You do not know how many times us locals hear that. I let him know about it as a member I told him and pointed out that as a full time dues paying member I did not appreciate him abusing our carts in that manner. IMHO sometimes rangers and starters have the RIGHT to be grumpy

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I think our friend Bags was venting!

For the most part the starters that I meet are reasonably good guys who don't try to give lessons, do care about the place they work for and also try to make it a pleasant experience for the customers.

There are always exceptions.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Where I play most often, the "starter" is whoever is working the pro shop. And I usually have no issue with those guys. On extra busy days, those courses will post a starter out there who always seems to give me attitude even though I'm fairly positive I've given them no reason to act that way. I get the fact that starters deal with a lot of stuff, but that doesn't give you an excuse to carry a negative experience from one person over to the next.

Now when I travel and play courses outside the county, the starters tend to be the friendliest of the friendly. I always tend to think they've got an alterior motive because how can someone be so nice?

No matter what though, I've never ever received swing advice from a starter so I can't say anything about that. Seems like the first tee is a poor place for that.

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

I find 99% of the starters to be pretty cool guys to talk with. What I do find is that a high percentage of rangers are on some kind of power trip, for lack of a better way to put it. It's like they find a reason to dog you.... when there really is no reason for it. I/we can only play as fast as the group ahead allows me/us. They don't seem to care about that. I have stopped playing at one course for this reason.... and I really like the course!

Can't add much as far as starters go. I don't mind what they are tasked to do. 90 degree rule, pace of play, carts around greens, etc. I've found them to be friendly if you are.

As for advice.... this forum site is the ultimate "advice giving" place on the planet!! But I suppose you're probably referring to Starters? Never had one give swing advice except generally playing the first hole which I've appreciated. When I was over in NC and playing Pine Needles a few years ago I recall asking the Starter how I could get his job. That's a PT job I'd like if I could play the course a few times a week.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I'll have to be careful here. And keep in mind I'm talking about starters in general not any one specific course

Ans for the most part speaking about daily gee municipal type courses. Not high end resorts.

Most not all...are retired. 90% of them do it for the free golf. Most don't need the income. So there is a lack of motivation in that regard. Most also are doing it to get away from the wife for 4 or 5 hours. You might or might not be shocked at how many say they absolutely can't spend 24 hours a day with said wife. I can see that.

Now a few things in their defense. It's not the most fun job in the world. Your outside in the elements for 5 hours. Sure thsts great on a beautiful 75 degree day. But in our area we can have two straight months of 90 plus degrees with high humidity. Rain and cold aren't much fun either.

Then there are the golfers. I'm sure we are all well educated, polite, considerate and patient.

Shockingly all are not . They deal with players who show up late and say "I'll be ready in 10 minutes, just work me in somewhere"

They deal with impatient golfers during frost delays. Players not listening. To them while they are running down rules of the day. Then breaking said rules less than 5 minutes later.

Being yelled at because the course is too crowded. Expect to be given special permission to go off the back nine because nobody is on the tee. (They don't know or care thst maintenance is on the back nine now to stay ahead of the golfers). They of course promise not to get in the way.

That said. It's never OK to be rude or short. This is a customer service job and should be treated as such. We put ALL our employees including the maintenance crews through a pretty good customer service orientation and training. You hope most of it sticks.

Yeah we have one who is a self professed range instructor. He's actually a pretty good player and only offers it to people that are obviously true beginners. And he's such a likeable friendly guy most don't mind. He won't approach anybody that is remotely knows what they are doing.

Agree somewhat- people skills lacking - Im SURE dealing with general public and vacationers who feel entitled and the ego of some of these visitors is a nightmare to deal. That being said I really think I would do a triple take if any starter said Hi glad your playing our course today. Customer service 101. Im in sales many yrs for 25 yrs and I guy who trained me said even if the customer before ripped you a new one the next customer you see is like that never even happened and your having a great day.......that always stuck with me.

Where I play most often, the "starter" is whoever is working the pro shop. And I usually have no issue with those guys. On extra busy days, those courses will post a starter out there who always seems to give me attitude even though I'm fairly positive I've given them no reason to act that way. I get the fact that starters deal with a lot of stuff, but that doesn't give you an excuse to carry a negative experience from one person over to the next.

Now when I travel and play courses outside the county, the starters tend to be the friendliest of the friendly. I always tend to think they've got an alterior motive because how can someone be so nice?

No matter what though, I've never ever received swing advice from a starter so I can't say anything about that. Seems like the first tee is a poor place for that.

As you know, our starter stand is near the putting green and driving range, you can't even see any of the 1st tees. He usually does it during down time ad he's walking the range line picking up empty ball baskets.

. That being said I really think I would do a triple take if any starter said Hi glad your playing our course today.

I think you would here thst ALOT more than not at our course. Remember I was talking about some courses in general

The majority of the starters I come across are genuinely nice guys, and as it's been said retired and doing it for the free golf.

On one course we play, there's a creek running across the first fairway about 200 yds from the tee.

One of the starters on this particular course generates a nice little side income by betting players that the can't hit it over the creek.

Sent from my SM-N950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Wishon clubs, Odyssey CS stroke lab putter

As you know, our starter stand is near the putting green and driving range, you can't even see any of the 1st tees. He usually does it during down time ad he's walking the range line picking up empty ball baskets.

I don't think I saw your starter. You were our starter lol.

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

The starter at my home course is an awesome guy. We always get into a great conversation. He always wears a fedora with a feather in it. It's pretty awesome.

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

The starter at my home course is an awesome guy. We always get into a great conversation. He always wears a fedora with a feather in it. It's pretty awesome.

xQ3DmJ5.gif

heh_robin_hood_men_in_tights.gif

I've never run into a problem with a starter - they all have been friendly. On the other hand I've had a problem with rangers running around the course pushing you. There was one instance my wife and I were playing with another couple and the course was really crowded. The ranger was pushing everyone (he wanted us to hit even though there was another foursome on the fairway waiting - and in our way).

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

xQ3DmJ5.gif

heh_robin_hood_men_in_tights.gif

I love the robin hood men in tights GIF... I've had rangers also pushing me Tony. The course was also crowded we were told we were a hole behind when we were about to tee off. They tried to make us skip the hole and when we rushed to play the hole the group ahead was just teeing off. I haven't played that course since. The worst part was the group behind were people we were friends with and there was no one behind them, due to the group behind playing slow.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

As far as I know, my course is the only one in town that has starters; at least I have never seen any at the other courses when I have played them.  I have never heard any of them give advice.  Yes, they are all retired golfers and I like them all.  One passed away last month; he was 85.  The starters also take turns as course marshals, and he always managed to find my wife and I around #15 where he hit a couple of shots with us with his 7i that he always carried.  It won't be the same this next year without him.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Can't add much as far as starters go. I don't mind what they are tasked to do. 90 degree rule, pace of play, carts around greens, etc. I've found them to be friendly if you are.

As for advice.... this forum site is the ultimate "advice giving" place on the planet!! But I suppose you're probably referring to Starters? Never had one give swing advice except generally playing the first hole which I've appreciated. When I was over in NC and playing Pine Needles a few years ago I recall asking the Starter how I could get his job. That's a PT job I'd like if I could play the course a few times a week.

Just returned from a week at Pine Needles- playing alternatively with Mid-Pines and Mid south thrown in (great track, BTW)- never got a bit of advice- just the pin location and cart rules- and keeping pace.  Great little slice of heaven right there...

What's in the bag?

Driver :callaway-small: Callaway Mavrik 105 set to 9.5, square, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60G Stiff shaft
#3 Wood  :callaway-small: Callaway FT Tour 13 degree neutral setup, Fuijkara 370 Stiff Shaft
Hybrid  :cobra-small:  18 Degree King Cobra Baffler pro, Baffler Stiff shaft
4-PW :titelist-small: Titlest 714 AP2, Standard loft and lie, MGS S Shafts
:benhogan-small: 53, 57 degree loft Hogan Equalizer wedges
1962  :wilson_staff_small: Wilson "Sandy Andy" sand wedge with HUGE bounce!
Putter MLA Pro Classic
:titelist-small: Titlist ProV 1, ProV 1x

Currently Gaming "Costco Kirkland Signature Tour Performance" balls

I do not have anything negative to say about starters. Almost all have been OK. Have seen a couple that were a bit pissed but they were reacting to the moron public and not trying to take it out on anyone.

Rangers/Ambassadors different story. Some are just there to “ball hawk” and when pressed to actually do something they get cranky. When they loose control of the course have a tendency to take it out on the non offending groups.

Not all of course just a few.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

I guess I'm aging myself, but I can remember the days, when at some courses, the starter was a circular device in which one would insert their golf ball.

I know what you're talking about but never saw it in practice. That is old school!

Rick

Left Hand, 

I guess I'm aging myself, but I can remember the days, when at some courses, the starter was a circular device in which one would insert their golf ball.

There is a course in southwest MICHIGAN that still uses it, I think they are still open. Yep, you put a ball in when you arrive and when your ball gets To the bottom, its your turn.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

220px-%D7%A7%D7%9C%D7%A3%2C_%D7%A0%D7%95

Did it also dispense this for you to keep score with?

220px-%D7%A7%D7%9C%D7%A3%2C_%D7%A0%D7%95

Did it also dispense this for you to keep score with?

I had one of those in High School. seriously

Rick

Left Hand, 

I had one of those in High School. seriously

I can totally see you rocking that!!

There is a course in southwest MICHIGAN that still uses it, I think they are still open. Yep, you put a ball in when you arrive and when your ball gets To the bottom, its your turn.

There is a 9 hole par 3 course in Key Colony Beach (just outside Marathon) Fl that uses that method. It's a short pic pipe on a stand. You insert you ball and then when it's on he bottom it's your turn.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I think allot of them are grumpy farts, they can definitely have an impact on whether I'll revisit a course too. It seems like they could set the tone for the entire round by explaining local rules, staying on time with the tee sheet, and smiling. Some people just shouldn't be on the customer service side of this game lol

Well said!

MDGolfHacker

What's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

I know what you're talking about but never saw it in practice. That is old school!

I'm surprised - the courses that I played as a kid in CT often used this method. We also had one where you had to spend the night playing cards in the parking lot to have a chance to get out before ten. Once the gates opened at 6:00 AM they would take one bag from each foursome and move it up the rack until your group was up.

You didn't go out as less than a three so as a twosome or single you took your chances. You could move up or back - kind of like chutes and ladders.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Archived