MattF

Weight Loss Thread

1 hour ago, Kor.A.Door said:

I will try to answer the questions asked, hopefully I don’t miss any. Back in January we joined a gym. You know typical New Years stuff. We were going to the gym 4 days. I am 265lbs. 6’4”, so I don’t look “overweight”, but I am. I am really looking for this to be a change for long term, and I really don’t want to watch the scale. After going to the gym for almost 3 months I feel better and stronger, but I just don’t see it. I stepped on the scale and boom, I had gained about 5 lbs. then the feeling of doubt enters and frustration sets in. I felt like I needed to change my “diet”, not go on a diet, just change how I eat,  track it better, also change up my workout routine. I would like to lose some weight, but I don’t have to lose 50 lbs to meet a goal. 

I am currently keeping track of my caloric intake, and I am doing more weight training. I am still doing some cardio, but adding the weight training instead of just doing more cardio. So I’ve found a workout routine that is for beginner training that I will do for a month or so, then I will move into an intermediate training program. I am really trying to do healthier things, but it really gets hard when you can’t see visible results. Doing something is better than doing nothing. I am going to keep at it, and one day I will see the results of the work I put in. 

That’s great that you are tracking and weight lifting is good to help with the weight loss as it’s energy spent as is the cardio. 

Doing random weigh ins will give you inconsistent results because bodyweight can fluctuate 1-2% up or down from day to day. Weighing yourself every day first thing in the morning after using the bathroom and as close to the same time wearing the same thing and taking the average each week will show you really what’s going on. 

As was mentioned earlier unless you are in a caloric deficit you aren’t going to lose weight.  The key number to focus on is your TDEE. Whatever that number is will be your maintenance calories. Eating below that number will put you in a deficit. High protein intake will help with the fat loss and not going to low in fat (help keep hormones from going haywire). There are several algorithms to help determine your tdee, if not wanting to figure all that out using iifym.com macro calculator is probably the most accurate one around the webs. They also have a plan to help you on the path and iirc it’s about $100. There’s avatar nutrition and they charge $15/month and with weekly weigh ins will adjust your macros each week as necessary.

Another great resource is fat loss forever by Layne Norton.

the biggest way to make it a success long term is find the type of eating that fits your lifestyle, you can follow and stick to long term and once you reach your goal slowly work your way back to maintenance.

• Like 3

The bolded is why I hate the word diet. Diets fail because 1) they are too restrictive (think no carbs, clean food, etc) 2) there’s a goal weight to get to and it’s not always easy but then there’s no plan on how to keep the weight off (something I struggled with after my weight cut in 2016-2017) and therefore people gain it all back and many times more than they lost.
its a lifestyle choice and when done right keeping the weight off.  
Can you explain more on the “what I can and can’t eat”? I ask because I’m a firm believe in macro counting and calories in vs calories out and therefore there is no food off limits 

Protein, fruits, veggies with some healthy carbs. Just be moderate, exercise some and you’re fine.

If you’re going to cheat, plan for it and do it with no regrets. You just hop right back on the healthy train with your next meal. I’ve been 165 since October.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 2

@Kor.A.Door my wife gained 15lbs (about 13% of her starting body weight) while training for a marathon. She ran and ran and ran and ate right and still gained weight. Then she had her blood tested and the doc found her thyroid was out of whack (hypothyroidism - meaning her thyroid wasn't working enough and it resulted in weight gain). She has to take a pill everyday to keep the thyroid in check, but the weight loss started up a few weeks into the medication and she got back to her normal weight. Sometimes if you eat right and put in the time and effort at the gym and something just doesn't add up, you might want to get some blood work to see if you possibly have something out of balance, like your thyroid. 

• Like 1