Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Which reviews do you apply for?

GolfSpy MPR

Factors in Applying  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Which factors weigh most heavily on your choice to apply (or not apply) for equipment reviews? (Choose up to three.)

• I apply for everything!
    • An opening in my bag
    • I just like drivers/irons/putters, etc.
    • It's a club I wanted to test anyway
    • I feel I'm the target audience for this club
    • I feel especially qualified to test this kind of club
    • Other (comment below)

I apply for what I feel I can do a great job testing and fits my current skill and maybe my next level skills I'm trying to redevelop. I'll apply for most ball tests as it's kind of fun finding out how a new ball will work for you compared to your current setup. As a current and previous tester, it is a lot of work to do even the simplest of tests. When I did the E6 testing, I spent quite a few hours on and around the greens for a month or two plus course time to get a feel for how the balls reacted and played. I took a ton of pictures as well.

MDGolfHacker

What's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Like others have mentioned, I only apply for something that I am interested in and fits my game.  There is not much of a point to apply for something that wont have a place in my bag after the review has been completed.

:taylormade-small: SLDR 10.5 Oban HB

:taylormade-small: R11s Rip Phenom

:Hogan: Ft. Worth Black Irons

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54

:cleveland-small: CG10 58

:EVNROLL: EV 5.3 Duo

Pretty much everything I would say has already been said by someone else.  I think anyone who feels like they have something to contribute and is willing to put in the effort should feel comfortable applying.  I like to hear a variety of opinions from a variety of people with a variety of skill levels.  Every review I've read has given me something to think about or consider, whether they were people with high handicaps like mine, or +2's.  Some of the best reviews I've read have been by average players just being honest about their experiences.

I always try to remember that I'm not good enough to get mad!

My Bag:

:ping-small:  G400 Max

:ping-small:  G30 3W

:cobra-small: King S9-1 5W

:taylormade-small: Aeroburner 3 Rescue/Hybrid

:ping-small: G400  5-UW

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52* and 56*

:rife-putters-1: 2Bar Mallet

:ping-small: Traverse II Cart Bag

Living so far away ( New Zealand) means I have to read the fine print before applying. I apply for anything I can get and hopefully one day I will be chosen.

In my :titleist-small: cart Bag:

Driver:    :cobra-small: King F9 9° - LH - Atmos Blue TS 6 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
               :srixon-small: Z U85 2 Iron
Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron AMT White S300
  :titelist-small: T100S - LH - 3-48* - AMT White S300
Wedges:               Indi FLX- LH - 52° 56° 60° - True Temper Spinner Wedge shafts
Putter:    :rife-putters-1: 2 Bar Hybrid
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Testing: Haywood CB/MB Combo Iron Set, 4-7 Cavity backs, 8-PW Muscle Backs, True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff, 2 Degrees stronger lofts.

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0 

Great thread! For my situation living in FL between a ton of courses the testing areas and weather are pretty good. Saying that I only apply for equipment that would be a good fit and fun to work with.

I did apply for the G400 driver but declined the Cobra and Cleveland Launcher. I felt the G400 was good for my game and a fun test the other two no. I don't want to ever get a test opportunity for something I'm not committed to.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Great topic... for me I will only apply for reviews that are either a product I'm very interested in, or is something I could do very well at reviewing. There are also favourite clubs in my bag I have no intention on replacing so anything that falls under that I'd stay away from. Finally I have really gotten a lot of this site over the years and really would want to do a great job, so if timing doesn't work and I don't believe I'd be able to give it a fair shot or full review I don't apply.

These are great opportunities and so many members have done incredible jobs with their reviews so there are some big shoes to fill if chosen!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Reviews I think I could handle, or clubs that would be the updated version of mine to see how the new compares to old.

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

Living so far away ( New Zealand) means I have to read the fine print before applying. I apply for anything I can get and hopefully one day I will be chosen.

This is the most unique answer so far. Interesting to read about a factor that many of us don't have to consider.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

I find this thread interesting, and I feel that it probably confirms the information that MGS has on us when selecting testers.  When we put our name in the hat, MGS knows that we have an interest in the club (for whatever reason), and we are willing to commit to the time needed to provide the type of review that MGS Testers are known for.  I am sure that MGS has other criteria for selection, but selecting people who have responded in this thread will always be a good choice.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I have to have some type of interest in the product and I have to believe I have the time to put into the testing. If both of those don't exist, I don't apply. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 (8*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Fairway:   :ping-small: G400 (14.5*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Irons: :ping-small: Crossover 3 iron (19*) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shaft

:titelist-small: AP3 (4/5) and AP2 (6-PW) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Wedges: Scor 50*, 54*, and 58* with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Putter:  :cameron-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 Midslant

Handicap: 3

Location: Illinois...until i can get my wife to move to a warmer climate

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

Two great points in here (in bold) I thought were worth re-iterating....

I voted "other."  

I've seen similar answers from some others here - It needs to be something that I'm going to be passionate about.  Working in tech, the Cobra Connect challenge was a perfect fit for me.

Honestly MPR, I'd love to see you do a driver review.  

1. "A player that loves the driver, hits it well and hits it every chance they get is likely to stripe it with just about anything you put in their hands.  I'd rather see a review from someone that hasn't yet found the driver that works for them."

2. "I also like reading critical reviews.  I like seeing who is a bad fit for a product as much as seeing who is a good fit.  Anyone who is willing to do the work and give a fair review to a product should feel welcome to throw their hat in the ring."

If MGS is looking for something in particular from their reviewers, I'm confident that they'll ask the right questions to get the data they need to make good decisions.

I think these two elements really add a lot of substance to the forum member reviews!

* Side note on the nature of "subjective" reviews...

Others have mentioned - and I very much agree - that reading another player's subjective commentary on the club can be very helpful; especially if they have described the type of player they are and how they play the game, so that the reader can put those comments into a good context.

For example, 'oh that guy struggles with big dispersion on his irons and even though I see the ((whatever brand/model)) GI set helped him with that ... I don't really have that same problem so I won't be looking at this model'.

IMO these subjective reviews go hand-in-hand perfectly with the MGS #datacentric Most Wanted Testing.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

I've tended to stay away from reviews mainly due to time constraints. I would want to be sure I can give the most comprehensive review I am able to, and I feel like time limitations would hurt that.

If I do apply, it is to something that genuinely peaks my interest, makes me feel like it could really help my game, or could stand a chance at taking a spot in the bag. I would make the time for a thorough review of it checked all of those boxes.

Driver: :callaway-small:  Rogue 9*, -1" length
FW: :callaway-small:  Epic SZ 13.5*, 18* -.5" length

Utility: :titelist-small:  816 H2 21*
Irons: :callaway-small: Apex CF 16, std. lenght/lie
Wedges: :mizuno-small:  T7 Blue Ion, 52*, 56*, 60*
Putter: :odyssey-small:  #7S
Ball: K-sig (until I run out)

RH golfer from Detroit, MI with a 14 handicap, working towards single digits

Two great points in here (in bold) I thought were worth re-iterating....

I think these two elements really add a lot of substance to the forum member reviews!

* Side note on the nature of "subjective" reviews...

Others have mentioned - and I very much agree - that reading another player's subjective commentary on the club can be very helpful; especially if they have described the type of player they are and how they play the game, so that the reader can put those comments into a good context.

For example, 'oh that guy struggles with big dispersion on his irons and even though I see the ((whatever brand/model)) GI set helped him with that ... I don't really have that same problem so I won't be looking at this model'.

IMO these subjective reviews go hand-in-hand perfectly with the MGS #datacentric Most Wanted Testing.

Number 2 is a little tough though. I wouldn't want to put a high handicapper who just started in a test with blades. I guess within reason would be more apropo. It wouldn't make it fun for the tester or for MGS to showcase the strengths of the equipment.

MDGolfHacker

What's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Other: I'm obviously in it solely for the money, fame, groupies, etc...

But seriously, I think the only requisite for reviewing equipment is the ability to apply critical thinking and accurately detail your observations. By nature and career choice, I am focused on improving products and processes. And at the risk of being overly critical at times, I hope my experience and examination will yield some unique product insights.

PXG___0811 X 9* - Mitsubishi Diamana s60 Limited X
Cobra___S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
Adams___XTD Forged 3i - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
Adams___CMB 4-PW - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
KZG___Tri-Tour 50.08__54.10__58.12 - Accra iCWT 2.0-95i S
Nike___Method Converge B1-01 (copper insert)
Maxfli___'23 Tour X
"The most important shot in golf is the next one“

I got to review a putter a few years ago, but hadn't the time to really be able to devote to doing a quality review since then (big promotion at work - lucky me). Now that I've settled into the executive ranks and don't work ridiculous hours anymore, maybe I'll start throwing my hat into the ring again and stop being such a lurker.

:callaway-small: GBB Epic 10.5&deg - Recoil ES 450 regular

:callaway-small: mini 1.5 14° - Recoil ES 450 regular

:callaway-small: XR OS 16 Hybrid (3-5) - Fubuki AT 55/60 regular shafts

:callaway-small: Apex (6-PW) - Recoil 65 F3 regular shafts 1°flat

:callaway-small: MD4 Tour Chrome wedges (50W/54S/58C) - S200 1°flat

:scotty-small: Futura X 34" - Superstroke Slim 3.0

I got to review a putter a few years ago, but hadn't the time to really be able to devote to doing a quality review since then (big promotion at work - lucky me). Now that I've settled into the executive ranks and don't work ridiculous hours anymore, maybe I'll start throwing my hat into the ring again and stop being such a lurker.

Old saying, Been there done that

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Being committed to golf within the last year, I am still building confidence in my game and my gear. I have lowered my scores from 130+ down to a 103 average and continuing to drop as I put more focus into the game.

I have been on the forums for a little over a month (I believe) and I have applied for the Cobra Connect, PING, and the Cleveland HB. I love my current Cobra set-up so I was interested to see what the new versions had to offer. I have finally started getting consistent with my F6 Driver (278 yd Avg- When hit straight!), but still feel like there is something to be desired so I was VERY intrigued to try out a new one and see how it impacted my game.

I think I am a great fit for testing as a lot of golfers out there haven't necessarily been playing their entire life. Still finding my groove in the game, I feel that testing the product allows me an opportunity to share my experience with a good majority of the golfing population. 

I firmly believe confidence in your game and gear is a crucial part of golf. That being said, I am excited to try a new product that I feel can truly help me build that confidence in my own game. As I continue to get better and continue to lower my scores, I feel like I will be significantly more selective in which reviews I apply for.

*End Rant*

Driver:    :taylormade-small: M4 10.5* / Evenflow Blue 6.0 Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Woods: :taylormade-small: M6 3W 15* / Evenflow Blue 6.0 Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Hybrid: :taylormade-small: M4 Rescue 19* / KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype 85g Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Irons:    :srixon-small:  Z585 4-AW / KBS Tour 90 - Regular +1" / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Wedges:cleveland-small: CBX - 56* & 60* / KBS Hi Rev 2.0 - Regular +1" / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma 2 Tyne 4 Platinum / Superstroke Pistol

Ball:    :taylormade-small: Project a

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer 14

I am fairly new on this page so I have applied for everytung so far but more so because I am interested in trying to find what will work best for my me.

I will admit I have a slight obsession with golf gear and I like reading product reviews and videos and then testing it for myself.

DRIVER -  Ping G425 SFT Driver Tensei AV 55 Orange Reg Flex 

Woods -  Ping G425 7 wood  Tensei AV 65 Orange Reg Flex 

Irons - Cobra Rad Speed 1 Length UST Recoil 780 Smacwrap Graphite Reg Flex 

WEDGES-  Callaway jaws 52/56/60

PUTTER-  Taylormade FCG spider putter 34" 

BALL-  Pro V1x or Tp5X  -- trying to figure this one out.

Footjoy Tour S golf shoe 

Well, interesting update - I'm one of the three selected for the Cleveland Launcher HB driver review! I put my name in for that one as I was curious if this might be something that could actually help me hit a driver decently .. so keep an eye out for that up-coming member review thread!

Oh, PS:

So, no, I won't be entering any further review opportunities this season.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

I usually only apply for things that I am truly interested in AND can put in the appropriate amount of time for. 

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

• 2 weeks later...

I apply to review equipment that I would be interested in if I were looking to purchase new equipment. I won't however do so if I'm working tomorrow n another review. For example I'd love to test the Hogan wedge that MGS is taking apps for but wouldn't dare apply (nor would I be selected.)

Not everything that I've tested has made it into my permanent line up but much has. Most have received good reviews though there was one, the SCOR 44, that did not produce as advertised. Good club but could not match my Wilson C100 for dispersion (my swing around 100 measured shots).

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I'll apply for items I'm interested in that'll potentially help my game and not always clubs, though I WILL apply for everything PING for sure..!

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

I have applied and will apply for reviews of products that interest me and could possibly find a place in my bag. As someone who lives less than 10 minutes from multiple courses and several ranges, I have the facilities and the time available to produce a quality review.

If something is way outside my skill level (bladed irons for example) I'm not going to apply for the review, because someone who the clubs will fit better could provide a much higher quality review than I ever could.

<p>WITB: All Wilson EverythingDriver:  :wilson_staff_small:  FG tour F5 9*3 wood:  :wilson_staff_small: FG tour F5 13.5*</p><p>Hybrids:  :wilson_staff_small: FG tour F5 17* and 23*5-GW:  :wilson_staff_small: C100 with KBS Tour V 100g shafts Wedges:  :wilson_staff_small: FG tour PMP frosted 54* and 58*Putter:  :wilson_staff_small: Lincoln ParkBall:   :wilson_staff_small: Duo SSP(testing) and :srixon-small:  Z-star

Archived