Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

3 piece distance vs 2 piece feel

So, like I mentioned on another post, I've been fixing my slice little by little and losing less balls per round. It's very encouraging and rewarding to know that I can start using "nice" balls again ;)

Unfortunately, I don't have a launch monitor near me, so I can't provide my club head speed. But perhaps you guys can suggest something based on distance?

Driver carry around 240-260 yards (roll depends on weather, temperature, humidity, etc)

7 iron carry around 165 yards

With my long irons, I sometimes feel the ball is ballooning a little. Is it because of excessive spin?

After doing a lot of research to find the perfect ball, I'm facing following dilemma:

3 piece distance ball or 2 piece performance (feel) ball?

3 piece:

Top Flite Gamer V2

Nike Vapor Speed

2 piece:

Top Flite D2 Feel

Nike PD Distance, Soft, High

Noodle+ Long and Soft

Precept Laddie Xtreme

Titleist DT SoLo

TaylorMade Burner

Srixon AD333 and SoftFeel

Callaway Warbird Plus

Pinnacle Dimension

Bridgestone e5

Would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks!

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Based on your numbers, it sounds to me that you have between 100 and 105 mph of clubhead speed. 105mph is definitely enough to "penetrate the core" of the "tour" model balls, 100 could do it as well, depending on the ball you chose. You may actually have too much head speed for the 2-piece feel balls, because the core would deform (AKA compress) too much at impact, resulting in lost energy, leading to lost distance.

You may want to look more towards 3-piecers like the NXT Tour, W/S C:25 or FG, Gamer, One Black/One Tour D, TP Red/Black, Penta (a 5-piecer, but still a possibility), B-330RX, Burner TP... basically, most 3-piecers- no 2-piecers.

As for your balloon issue, it might be something simple like ball placement. If it's too far forward, you may be catching it on the upswing. This would mean the effective loft of the club would be higher than is stated, which would equate into a higher launch angle (the balloon effect). I'm guessing here since I can't see anything, but if this is only happening with the long irons, I'm pretty sure (about 85%) sure this is the case. Try moving the ball a touch (experiment here) closer towards your sternum and see what that does for you.

It could also be you're trying to max out the distance of the long irons, which leads to a flipping of the club (the knuckles pointing at the target instead of the back of the hand) at impact. This is another case where the effective loft would be higher, leading to a higher launch angle.

Wow Justin... you were right on the money with the ballooning issue

When I started golfing the pro told me 8, 9, wedges in the middle of the stance... 5, 6, 7 should go 1 ball distance forward, hybrids and FW 2 balls distance forward and driver inside right heel

So basically you are saying, I could just take the 5, 6, 7 in the middle of the stance to decrease the added loft and get a little more distance? Would this also be advisable with the hybrid?

I'll definitely work on it this weekend if it stops raining... the course is flooded right now (Ryder Cup style)

--------

Dang! I never thought I would be over 95mph club head speed @@ that's a surprise xD

I was actually more afraid of not having enough speed to compress the tour balls, so I went for a 2 piece ball.

On the different blogs I read the average golfer swings between 80mph to 95mph, so I thought the chances I'm in this group were bigger.

I think I still have some 3 piece balls lying around... I'll hit them together with my Noodle+ and will let you know

Thanks buddy!

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Playing the ball back of your ideal placement in your stance will lower the trajectory (the "knockdown" shot). It'll work for every club- even the hybrid, FWs and driver; it's especially useful in windy conditions (Tiger has a modified version he calls the "stinger", done with a 3/4 swing and 124mph head speed). You may or may not see a distance gain... if you're currently using the wrong ball placement for your swing and move it back to your ideal placement, you'll see improvement. If you move it from the ideal position back, however, you'll see a decrease in carry distance. Use the knockdown and it'll appear that your shots are farther, because the wind doesn't grab the ball as much while it's in flight compared to using normal ball placemnt.

As for your clubhead speed numbers, I got them from Ralph Maltby's "The Complete Guide to Club Fitting" and Jeff Sheets's "The Perfect Fit", so I'm comfortable with that range. Depending on who you ask, the average male head speed does range between 80 and 95mph. The golf mags like to use 95mph, so I go with that.

You're very welcome!

Archived