Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

The Groove Verdict (Yawn)

GolfSpy_X

• SPY VIP

A season in, the rule demanding less-aggressive grooves for elite players has had little noticeable effect on statistics, strategy or even course setup

When talking about the impact of the new groove rule earlier this year, a common thought was we needed to wait until the end of the season before drawing conclusions about its efficacy. Well, the season is over. We have a year's worth of data to sift through, and there's only one logical conclusion we can reach: It didn't matter all that much.

Whether looking at it purely from a statistical standpoint or talking with players, the less-aggressive grooves that were made mandatory on the PGA Tour this year turned out to be pretty much a non-event from a competitive standpoint.

"No, not at all," said Sean O'Hair when asked if the rule change made much of a difference. "I think the stats were actually maybe a little bit better this year. I don't think the grooves themselves had any issue out there. For me, I actually thought it was easier out of the rough because you know you're going to get a flyer. Sometimes with square grooves it would fly, and sometimes it wouldn't. So it actually took the guessing out of it for me. I liked the new grooves a little bit better."

Read More http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-tours-news/2010-11/golf-johnson-equip-1122#ixzz15lFwOdCq

#TruthDigest

I agree this change was a complete disaster in my opinion. You still see the same pro's spinning the ball that use to spin the ball a bunch. I mean guys like Phil,Tiger who spin their wedges regardless of the groove as Tiger has been using V groove since the day he started playing golf (Blade players). I mean almost every blade I've ever seen is V groove and they seem to do fine with the lessor spinning groove all things considered. All this did was make the game once again harder for the weekend/higher handicap golfer. Now all we see are these stupid commercials about how you better stock up or else your screwed. I don't see any positive results from bringing this rule to the masses or even the pro's for that matter. If they wanted to control those types of things it starts and ends with the BALL! IMHO

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

haha I can't spin the ball no matter groove I use! So it doesn't affect me at all :)

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

• 1 month later...

In my opinion it has caused a mess especially on some of the mini tours. These tours do not have the technoligy to check legality of the grooves. The USGA website is partial on what is or is not legal. Some clubs are not even listed or been tested. i do know one mini tour suspended the implentation of the rule untill 2011. It will be interesting to see how the rules are enforced. I wonder how on USGA prelemary or qualifying events how they are going to test the grooves or will it cost the players to have their clubs checked? I have even heard some of these league players down here questioning the rules. I have hd to explain to some of those guys what the rule actually states and it does not affect them in amateur local club play only USGA sanctioned events. This ruling has caused mass confusion among folks

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Archived