hckymeyer

2018 Official Forum Member Review - Ben Hogan Ft. Worth Black Irons

1 hour ago, DPattGolf said:

Ditto! Haven't been able to play as much as I would have liked thanks to a busier schedule and weather but have gotten tons of range work with these. Hopefully I can squeeze a couple of more range and playing sessions in before Stage 2 is posted

You've been too busy getting re-tweeted / re-posted by Ben Hogan's social media team, right? 😉

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Jon Brittan said:

You've been too busy getting re-tweeted / re-posted by Ben Hogan's social media team, right? 😉

Haha just once!

3 hours ago, DPattGolf said:

Ditto! Haven't been able to play as much as I would have liked thanks to a busier schedule and weather but have gotten tons of range work with these. Hopefully I can squeeze a couple of more range and playing sessions in before Stage 2 is posted

I'm going to pull the trigger on irons soon and hoping to demo some Ft Worths (assuming they become available sometime soon - I'm getting itchy!) to keep them in the mix against Cobras (wavering between Forged Tec, Forged Tour or a blended set including CBs which would be a more forgiving version of what you put together). Since you game both Forged Tec and the king pro CB, where would you rank the Hogan's forgiveness & feel compared to those two? 

Gonna chime in about the feel here as well, when hit solidly these irons have a very crisp feel to them.  Surprisingly think they may even feel better than Mizunos 😮

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, hartrick11 said:

I'm going to pull the trigger on irons soon and hoping to demo some Ft Worths (assuming they become available sometime soon - I'm getting itchy!) to keep them in the mix against Cobras (wavering between Forged Tec, Forged Tour or a blended set including CBs which would be a more forgiving version of what you put together). Since you game both Forged Tec and the king pro CB, where would you rank the Hogan's forgiveness & feel compared to those two? 

I'm gonna save the forgiveness comparison for Stage 2. Feel though is great and very similar to my Cobra CB's and MB's. Forged Tec is just a different kind of club so the feel just isn't similar to the others even though it is by no means a bad one.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DPattGolf said:

I'm gonna save the forgiveness comparison for Stage 2. Feel though is great and very similar to my Cobra CB's and MB's. Forged Tec is just a different kind of club so the feel just isn't similar to the others even though it is by no means a bad one.  

Thanks. Also just checked the Hogan site and you can now order demos again (at least for the KBS Tour V Stiff & X) if anyone is interested. Not sure how long that will last though...

So, I went out at the weekend to start to finalise my thoughts in advance of my stage 2 and I took my father along with me for a walk and to take some on course video.

It was the first round I've played with these irons in truly soft conditions after the really dry summer we had here, which was great as it gave me a different set of conditions to experience and something more akin to ideal golf course setup.

What I can say, after this weekend is that I did learn a little more about these irons, but what I really learned most was never trust your father to be competent at videoing you with a mobile phone... The only usable video he took in the whole day was a practice swing with driver 😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 11/1/2018 at 11:13 AM, DPattGolf said:

I got my demo 5i and 8i with the Tour V 120 X-stiff yesterday, and just had my first range session. Initial thoughts are that they are as nice looking as in the pictures - maybe the nicest looking club I've seen. Minimal offset, which for me is a good thing (my misses are high and left - sometimes pull hook, sometimes big banana hook, which is why I'm looking to get rid of my Pings with a lot of offset and stiff flex).

Feel is fantastic, and despite how scary looking the 5i was (everyone's pictures were spot on, but I almost couldn't believe how thin the sole was when I saw it in person), they weren't that hard to hit, and were actually relatively forgiving. I didn't lose more than ~5 yards on thin & toe hits. However, when I caught it a little heavy, even though the v-sole helped the club come back up pretty quickly, the initial dig meant I lost a good bit more distance than the Cobra CBs which have more width in the sole and didn't seem to dig as much for me. Overall I was really impressed but it made me more convinced in buying the Cobra CBs over the Forged Tecs, rather than convinced to buy the Hogans - I will play with them more over the 2 week demo (and probably change my mind on which set to buy a few times during that 2 weeks).

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, hartrick11 said:

I got my demo 5i and 8i with the Tour V 120 X-stiff yesterday, and just had my first range session. Initial thoughts are that they are as nice looking as in the pictures - maybe the nicest looking club I've seen. Minimal offset, which for me is a good thing (my misses are high and left - sometimes pull hook, sometimes big banana hook, which is why I'm looking to get rid of my Pings with a lot of offset and stiff flex).

Feel is fantastic, and despite how scary looking the 5i was (everyone's pictures were spot on, but I almost couldn't believe how thin the sole was when I saw it in person), they weren't that hard to hit, and were actually relatively forgiving. I didn't lose more than ~5 yards on thin & toe hits. However, when I caught it a little heavy, even though the v-sole helped the club come back up pretty quickly, the initial dig meant I lost a good bit more distance than the Cobra CBs which have more width in the sole and didn't seem to dig as much for me. Overall I was really impressed but it made me more convinced in buying the Cobra CBs over the Forged Tecs, rather than convinced to buy the Hogans - I will play with them more over the 2 week demo (and probably change my mind on which set to buy a few times during that 2 weeks).

This.  I was surprised myself when I first looked at them in person.

My Stage 2 is up!!!!!

Some issues with the formatting, so I apologize for the “underline” you see most of the way through. I can’t get it to go back to original.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2

Great and honest review there, PMookie.  I think you did a great job of talking about the distance dropoffs you saw.  

One thing I might of missed, but did you comment on the sole widths and how they seemed to be completely opposite of most other brands?  

Do you feel that if they had progressive sole where it was narrow in the PW and got progressively wider that you would have found better gapping at the top of the set?

Great and honest review there, PMookie.  I think you did a great job of talking about the distance dropoffs you saw.  
One thing I might of missed, but did you comment on the sole widths and how they seemed to be completely opposite of most other brands?  
Do you feel that if they had progressive sole where it was narrow in the PW and got progressively wider that you would have found better gapping at the top of the set?

I didn’t mention the sole widths in Stage 2, showed comparisons in Stage 1.
I definitely think wider soles at the top would’ve helped me. The soles are SO thin that I don’t think the benefit of the V-Sole can be taken advantage of in the 4-6. It is odd to see Hogan Golf go so thin at the top. Compared to my MPs, as shown in Stage 1, there’s a big difference. Hogan could make a tweak here and really increase performance.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

1 hour ago, PMookie said:

My Stage 2 is up!!!!!

Some issues with the formatting, so I apologize for the “underline” you see most of the way through. I can’t get it to go back to original.

Great stage 2 - very interesting and thorough data. Thanks!

• Like 1

Gonna bump it.

My Stage 2 is up!!! Feel free to ask any further questions!

• Like 2

Gonna bump it.

My Stage 2 is up!!! Feel free to ask any further questions!

Wow nice review was not expecting that. When you got rid of the Mizuno I thought you were gonna write these one heck of a positive review.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

Wow nice review was not expecting that. When you got rid of the Mizuno I thought you were gonna write these one heck of a positive review.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

They’re really good irons! Just not great for me, unfortunately.... If I had a consistent swing, these would be magical! Feel, looks, sound, all very good, but they’re very demanding.

And this brings up a point I’d like to make:
Thank you to My Golf Spy for ALLOWING us to be honest! I’ve tested clubs for another site and “honesty” was not the best policy.

• Like 3

On 11/10/2018 at 1:00 PM, PMookie said:

My Stage 2 is up!!!!!

Great stage two!!

So realistically you need to be a player that hits the middle of the club each time to get the most out of these beautiful clubs. I guess I will just have to admire them from afar....😁😎

• Like 2

Great stage two!!
So realistically you need to be a player that hits the middle of the club each time to get the most out of these beautiful clubs. I guess I will just have to admire them from afar....

Keep you eye open for the other reviews as they might have had better luck! Don’t write them off because of just one review....

• Like 2

10 hours ago, PMookie said:

Keep you eye open for the other reviews as they might have had better luck! Don’t write them off because of just one review....

One thing I've learned from this awesome place is to keep an open mind!! That being said my swing benefits from a little more forgiveness than these appear to provide, I think I would be so scared of thining the ball that I would talk myself into it 😁😎

• Like 3