Winter is Coming! what will you change/practice/improve?

Our Sponsors

So lots of big plans for me. This past season was good and bad for me. I finally started practicing but didn't see as much of a score improvement as I had hoped

I'll be refining my current swing. Work on the little things like set up, grip, posture. I plan to practice my full swing at least 2 times a week. I will be investing in a putting Mat to work on my stroke. I noticed I had lost a lot of skill from lack of practicing my putting.

I also want to try super speed golf and maybe try to pick up a few mphs on my swing. Maybe reach that 170 ball speed number.

I will also keep losing weight. Hope to hit 250 by dec 31st. And be around 210 by the start of the season in April.

• Like 3

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Already made plans for after Christmas to finally get fit for a driver. I'll see how this goes, if good I'll proceed with the rest of my bag.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

CobraConnectChallenge3

After my hibernation I plan on:

1) Running 5 miles a day.

2) Weight Lifting

3) 25 yard shots in the garage at work.

4) Using the gate drill all winter at full speed.

5) SIM once a week

Watch Tiger win The Masters.

Move somewhere warm by June (almost still winter here)

• Like 2

Winter is fast approaching especially here in the North Jon Snow ;)

Usually I hit the range once a fortnight and try and improve fitness (unsuccessfully)

This year I thought about investing in a winter package over 6 months of coaching (1 lesson a month) from a reputable pro on every aspect of my game and tailor solutions and drills for all my issues.

Havent done it before and seems a good idea as he'll get to know my swing and not just a quick fix but a continuation of improvements, I need 'em :rolleyes:

What are you planning?

Hibernate

Sent from my iPod touch using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

What's in my Mizuno BR-D2 bag

OFFICIAL TESTER FOR THE PING i500 CLUBS.

Currently playing Ping i500 w/ Alta CB graphite shafts 

:mizuno-small: MP 25 - fitted w/ Project X shafts - stiff

:titelist-small: 60  / 56  :mizuno-small: 52

:titelist-small: 910 D2 driver - 9.5 degree -fitted13   F 3 wood 13.5 deg   :nike-small: CPR 3 hybrid

:nike-small: Method mallet

Dexterity:

I shoot left-handed so no one can ask me "Hey, can I try that club?" 

Twitter @GolfingHat      Instagram  @Mizunostixgolfnut

First off need to lose some weight, goal is 50 pounds. I purchased a big net and turf to hit off of in my garage, until I break a window that will keep up.

They just opened an indoor golf simulation facility so will likely hit that up , and thinking about a couple indoor lessons.

Thinking about buying one of those putt out devices so I can practice that as well.

Don't worry, replacing a window broken by a golf ball is not THAT expensive. Don't ask me how I know...
  • Like 6

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Fortunately for me, winter in Southeast AZ is golf season.  Our bentgrass does not go dormant so the greens will be perfect.  Fairways will be a bit on the hard side since our rainy season is over in October and things begin to dry out a bit.  My plan is to play 3 days per week with three different groups.  The first group is a social outing with golf as the center piece..lots of laughter and some interesting side bets on bad shots :).  The second group is a very competitive group that takes their golf seriously..lots of good golf with these guys.  The third group just plays for fun and has a good time every week.  Beyond that activity, I will practice two days a week for an hour each day.  That routine changes based on what needs work the most.  I have a Mizuno fitting in October and that will be an interesting experience.  I have not committed to changing from my Pings, but I am looking.

• Like 3

M2 Driver Fujikura Regular Flex

Mizuno 921 Tour Irons-- Titleist Wedges

A new Sik Armlock putter

We only lose about 2-months of golf due to winter. That being said, I do a lot more work indoors on my putting & chipping when its cold.

• Like 1

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges: :cobra-small: MIM 54* Versatile/60* Widelow

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

Fortunately for me, winter in Southeast AZ is golf season.  Our bentgrass does not go dormant so the greens will be perfect.  Fairways will be a bit on the hard side since our rainy season is over in October and things begin to dry out a bit.  My plan is to play 3 days per week with three different groups.  The first group is a social outing with golf as the center piece..lots of laughter and some interesting side bets on bad shots :).  The second group is a very competitive group that takes their golf seriously..lots of good golf with these guys.  The third group just plays for fun and has a good time every week.  Beyond that activity, I will practice two days a week for an hour each day.  That routine changes based on what needs work the most.  I have a Mizuno fitting in October and that will be an interesting experience.  I have not committed to changing from my Pings, but I am looking.

Are you playing at Mountain View?  Played there last time I was in Phoenix.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Are you playing at Mountain View?  Played there last time I was in Phoenix.

I play at both Mountain View and Pueblo Del Sol.  Mostly at Pueblo Del Sol because I work there :)

M2 Driver Fujikura Regular Flex

Mizuno 921 Tour Irons-- Titleist Wedges

A new Sik Armlock putter

Just booked a 5 pack of lessons with my instructor.

Focus is going to be entirely on irons and wedges.

• Like 2

In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 Stand Bag

:ping-small: G410 LST 9* VA Nemesys 65X
:ping-small: G410 LST 14.5* Tour AD DI 7X
:srixon-small: ZU85 18* Tour AD 95X
:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X
 MP20 HMB 4 Tour AD 95X
:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-9 Oban CT 115 X(-)
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 46F - 54S - 59D
:mizuno-small: M Craft II
:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

I'll jump on an indoor simulator a few times this winter and focus on my driver, woods, and long irons. Also dial in distances with wedges and irons. Fades, draws, choking up, partial swings. Want to figure these averages out to give me the best opportunity to score.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:taylormade-small: M1 2017 10.5° (dialed to 9.5°) (X 75g Project X HZRDUS Black 6.5, Golf Pride CP2, 44.75")
:taylormade-small: M2 2017 3W 15° (X 75g Project X HZRDUS Black 6.5, Golf Pride CP2) | M1 2017 5W 19° (S 70g Kuro Kage Silver TiNi)
:mizuno-small: MP-18 MMC FliHi 4, SC 5-7, MB 8-PW (S 110g KBS Tour C-Taper Lite, Lamkin UTX Wrap Blue, 1° flat, -1/4")
:titelist-small: Vokey SM6 52° F-grind,  56° M-grind, 60° L-Grind
:taylormade-small: TP Black Copper Juno

My biggest thing this winter is to keep working on fitness. Down 16 pounds through one round of my workout/nutrition program, and just starting on round 2. Trying to get a few of my buddies to get into it with me and go through it this winter.

Other than that, it's just indoor putting. An indoor golf training center opened up awhile back near me, so may take a trip or two over there to see what it's like.

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: C130S

Driver: :ping-small: G410 9* w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Fairway: :ping-small: G410 15*  w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Fairway: :callaway-small: GBB Heavenwood 19* w/ Fujikura Pro 72

Hybrids: :ping-small: G410 22*  w/ Tensei Blue

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX919 HMP 5-AW Forged w/ Modus 120s

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX4 55*/60*

Putter: :taylormade-small: Spyder X

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5

Temp's are dropping fast here in the Ruby Valley as well.  We expect some snow on the peaks around us this week.  I'm scheduled to play Old Works on Wednesday and the forecast is 39F with 5-8 mph wind at tee time. 

To answer your question; I will drive south to Yuma and more than double the number of rounds I've been playing this summer. I also plan on joining one of the local courses monthly unlimited practice offers (Las Barrancas GC has a nice one). I'm going to add a new wedge (probably 56 deg) and try and dial that in to see if it improves on my pretty dependable bump and run method using my 7 and 8 irons.  If I'm lucky enough to get selected for the Odyssey Putter Tester, that will also be included in the mix. 

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

what is this word "Winter"?

• Like 1

:callaway-small: MavriK Sub Zero 9* on EvenFlow RipTide 6.0 50g

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:cobra-small: F8 5/6 wood on Aldila NxT GEN MLT R

:Hogan: Combo iron set -8,9,per Icon 5,6,7 PtxPro 4-UiHi on Recoil 780 ES f4 Stiff shafts (best clubs ever)

:benhogan-small: Equalizer 50°, 54°, 60° wedges on Recoil 780 f4

:EVNROLL: ER3 34”

:titelist-small: ProV1x

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 shoes

Played St Andrews Jubilee course today in 45*F, thank goodness for beeny hats, hand warmers and under armour tops PLUS wind cheater waterproofs. Played great though and the ball ran for miles downwind i.e 265yd 4 irons downwind and 120yd 6 irons upwind. Greens were super fast and true- holed a lot of long putts for pars. 

Winter is here 😒

• Like 1

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

I want to continue to improve my hybrid shots, and learn how to hit my 3 wood off the deck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen1 0811X 12° driver w/Project X Evenflow Blue 55g shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 16° 4 wood w/Kuro Kage Black 60g shaft

:srixon-small: Z355 22° 7 wood w/Miyazaki Jinsoku shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 19° 3 hybrid w/UST Proforce V2 Black shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 22° 4 hybrid w/UST Proforce V2 Black shaft

:tour-edge: HL E521 25° 5 hybrid w/Fubuki HD55 shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg Sti2 6 iron w/UST Recoil 660 graphite shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 Tour+ irons 7-PW w/UST Competition Series graphite shafts

:cleveland-small: CBX2 50° wedge w/Rotex shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg M-Series+ 56° wedge w/UST Recoil 660 graphite shaft
:cleveland-small:  Huntington Beach Soft Premier 10.5

On 9/24/2018 at 2:40 PM, RoverRick said:

Now that the BestGrips Open is over, I plan to spend time altering my swing. I have had several different swings this year, forced by injuries. I can't rotate my left elbow. It's now been 4 months, and it hasn't gotten appreciably more flexible so at 54, it may not ever come all the way back so it's time to adapt.

I want to start from a more open stance, less back swing, more follow through. I experimented a bit with this but decided to work with what I had until after this event.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Disregard!

I went out early this morning on the range and implemented these changes. Played 9 holes and was all over the course. Shot a 45 and it wasn't pretty. I went back to the old swing, and played 18. 3 Birdies and 4 bogies. I have decided I'm not changing anything, and just hope my distance returns as my elbow gets better.

I hope my elbow gets better. 4 months and it still bothers me. It sucks getting old.

• Like 2

Driver:      :mizuno-small:  ST190G on Fujikura ATMOS Black

Fairway:   :mizuno-small:  ST190TS 15° on Fujikura ATMOS Black

Hybrids     :mizuno-small:  CLK 22 & 25 (set to 20° & 23°) on Fujikura SPEEDER

Irons:     :mizuno-small:  MP5 5-P on True Temper Dynamic Gold

Wedges: :mizuno-small: MP-T5 52*, 56* & 60* on True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge

Putter:    :cameron-small: 2018 Select Newport 2

Balls:      :titelist-small: Pro V1X

Shoes:     :footjoy-small:

Range Finder: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated

Lots of plans for me as well.
1. Lose 40 lbs
2. Work on drive hold release
3. Tighten up my putting. Video analysis showed I take the putter outside on the backswing
4. Work on as much skill related stuff as I can (ie. Adam Young stuff)

If I can somehow do all that, next year should be very good!

• Like 1