Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Blame it on PXG

SteddyGolf

Today I received a message from FJ advertising their new 1857 line of shoes. Wow! Over $700 for a pair of shoes you are going to stomp around in the mud while wearing? That’s nutty to me!!!!

My wife and I use to play this game called “Money or No Money”. The rules of the game were pretty simple, we just looked at folks and tried to guess their wealth. I’m not sure what her cues were but mine were always the shoes. Regardless of the type of clothes they wore, dudes with money an over whelming majority of the time had nice shoes and a good haircut. Everything else in between was just eye candy. Now of course there was no way to validate our assumptions but still the game was fun while passing time in an airport or restaurant.

Back to Mr Parsons and PXG. Everybody thought this guy was insane when he came out with such an incredibly expensive line of golf equipment and accessories. Seems that his company has now opened the door to a pricing increase that I never thought possible. Where will it stop? Are we as golfers doomed to become casualties of this war on our wallets or will the rules of supply and demand return us to normalcy?

It’s a crazy time in the Golf World!

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

That is ludicrous.  I don't own a pair of shoes over $75.  I am cheap though.  I won't even pay $700 for a set of irons!  

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

Agreed, ludicrous. Just like fine wine, where a $100 bottle is vastly better than a $5 bottle but the $1000 bottle isn't much better than the $100 bottle, the law of diminishing returns, applies to shoes (and clubs for that matter) as well. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Funny. I’d LOVE to see a guy at a local MUNY with $700 shoes!!! Perfect guy to bet!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Ha. I don't blame it on FJ anymore than I blame it on Maserati or Mr. Parsons. Yes, those $750 shoes and $75 gloves are more than I'd care to pay for these items. I think the prices are too low in fact. My shoes would be $1,200 a pair and the glove $150. And, as far as high end shoes go that would still be mid-range for some folks. But if those shoes are your thing by all means grab a pair. Or two.

I like your money game steddy. However, I've found that in real life one can be easily fooled. There are those that are "rich" and like to show it and those that are wealthy who you'd never guess. There's also a big difference between rich and wealthy. And then there are all the others that just simply fake it and act the part but don't have a pot to piss in at the end of the day.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Ha. I don't blame it on FJ anymore than I blame it on Maserati or Mr. Parsons. Yes, those $750 shoes and $75 gloves are more than I'd care to pay for these items. I think the prices are too low in fact. My shoes would be $1,200 a pair and the glove $150. And, as far as high end shoes go that would still be mid-range for some folks. But if those shoes are your thing by all means grab a pair. Or two.
I like your money game steddy. However, I've found that in real life one can be easily fooled. There are those that are "rich" and like to show it and those that are wealthy who you'd never guess. There's also a big difference between rich and wealthy. And then there are all the others that just simply fake it and act the part but don't have a pot to piss in at the end of the day.

Athletes are rich......owners are wealthy ;)

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

It’s hikarois that Dr. Parsons gets blamed for having expensive products but no one complains that a Porsche or bmw, cost more than a Malibu or Camry.

there is, has been and will always be a high end market for consumer goods regardless of industry. Are the products or quality better at that price? Maybe, maybe not. Are they worth it it? That’s all dependent on the individual buying.  The best part about consumer goods is choices and the right we have to either pay for something or not buy it.

Miura, Honma, Srixon, Bridgestone and others have been high end in the Asian market long before PXG came about. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Like my real estate agent once told me, "we only need to find one person to buy your house."

Whether or not you agree with me saying this, golf is a luxury activity. It's not a need for your life, but simply a want. I've had peaks and valleys in my golfing life. My peaks were when we were in a stable place, where I had extra income to blow on clubs, greens fees and other miscellaneous items needed to play golf. My valleys were when I was tending to my children as I watched them grow.

How much a pair of shoes or a golf club, or a golf ball costs is entirely defined by the buyer. If you think the shoes are worth $750 then more power to you. My skechers I bought at a 25% discount for $52.50 are the most comfortable pair of golf shoes I've ever bought. And I probably wouldn't want the $750 pair if you said they were $75. To each his own.

But blaming Parsons for this is kind of silly in my mind. P.T. Barnum said it best, "there's a sucker born every minute."

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

Like my real estate agent once told me, "we only need to find one person to buy your house."

Whether or not you agree with me saying this, golf is a luxury activity. It's not a need for your life, but simply a want. I've had peaks and valleys in my golfing life. My peaks were when we were in a stable place, where I had extra income to blow on clubs, greens fees and other miscellaneous items needed to play golf. My valleys were when I was tending to my children as I watched them grow.

How much a pair of shoes or a golf club, or a golf ball costs is entirely defined by the buyer. If you think the shoes are worth $750 then more power to you. My skechers I bought at a 25% discount for $52.50 are the most comfortable pair of golf shoes I've ever bought. And I probably wouldn't want the $750 pair if you said they were $75. To each his own.

But blaming Parsons for this is kind of silly in my mind. P.T. Barnum said it best, "there's a sucker born every minute."

Are you calling me silly?

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

3 hours ago, SteddyGolf said:

Are we as golfers doomed to become casualties of this war on our wallets or will the rules of supply and demand return us to normalcy?

Not if you amortize your clubs like I do. I'm into year 31 on the depreciation schedule for my PE2's 👍.  I'm more worried about escalating green fees keeping Joe Public out of the sport than cost of equipment.  Equipment manufacturers will almost certainly offer middle market priced options; at least until the games demographics change dramatically. Plus, if your cheap like me, you buy used higher end stuff.  That's why I love that manufacturers keep spilling out the latest and greatest - and that there are so many that want it. I would have never shelled out the $399 MSRP for my pretty much like new $50 Razr-Fit driver. I do think PXG and a couple of others will now vie for the "whose the most expensive" title.  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

6 hours ago, SteddyGolf said:

Today I received a message from FJ advertising their new 1857 line of shoes. Wow! Over $700 for a pair of shoes you are going to stomp around in the mud while wearing? That’s nutty to me!!!!

My wife and I use to play this game called “Money or No Money”. The rules of the game were pretty simple, we just looked at folks and tried to guess their wealth. I’m not sure what her cues were but mine were always the shoes. Regardless of the type of clothes they wore, dudes with money an over whelming majority of the time had nice shoes and a good haircut. Everything else in between was just eye candy. Now of course there was no way to validate our assumptions but still the game was fun while passing time in an airport or restaurant.

Back to Mr Parsons and PXG. Everybody thought this guy was insane when he came out with such an incredibly expensive line of golf equipment and accessories. Seems that his company has now opened the door to a pricing increase that I never thought possible. Where will it stop? Are we as golfers doomed to become casualties of this war on our wallets or will the rules of supply and demand return us to normalcy?

It’s a crazy time in the Golf World!

I'll quit the game before I pay ludacris prices for any aspect of it.

Well, more and more of the wealth goes to the 1% while wage growth is stagnant for most, so companies are going to market to those with the money. The haves will get their $700 shoes and $3000 iron sets, while the have nots will get a $70 pair of shoes and used irons.

Personally, I want nothing to do with this endless cycle of product release, consumption, b.s. technological advance, new product in 6 months, repeat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

Only one person I know wears shoes that cost that much.....

RicFlair.jpg

Ping G410 LST 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F3 60X

Callaway X2 Hot 2 Deep 12.5* 

Adams XTD LSP 23* hybrid Aldila rogue black 85X

Nike VR Pro II Blades 5-PW w/ Modus 120X

Nike Wedges

PXG Putter

5 hours ago, SteddyGolf said:

Are you calling me silly?

He’s not calling you silly, but rather the notion silly that it’s Parsons fault 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

It’s been my experience that the consumers who “need” the latest and greatest often have a lot of cool toys yet they cannot find financing to buy a power wheels kids car.

Foot Joy wants to claim a unique subset within the market. Personally, I am more offended by the $240 BOA shoes that cost $6 to make in China.

I stopped buying the latest and greatest a long time ago. Rather than purchase something I’d be drawn into on impulse I took some of all of that cost to own and purchased a share of its stock.

It’s fun to watch how much better my retirement golf plans look without having all the toys.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

There’s definitely been a substantial increase in price across most brands and PXG played a part in that. At some point, the ceiling will be reached for the majority of consumers. $499 seems to be the high for drivers, ~$1100 for irons, etc. I don’t see prices getting too much higher except for niche lines like the new titleist concept irons, super high end shafts. PXG is a category by itself.

There’s definitely been a substantial increase in price across most brands and PXG played a part in that. At some point, the ceiling will be reached for the majority of consumers. $499 seems to be the high for drivers, ~$1100 for irons, etc. I don’t see prices getting too much higher except for niche lines like the new titleist concept irons, super high end shafts. PXG is a category by itself.

I remember when $299 seemed high and all of a sudden the PING TiSi was released in 2000ish. $399 for this Datsun on a stick.

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

There are plenty of options that run the entire range of prices.

And like I said in another thread, this isn't just a golf industry thing.

Why buy a 1000 dollar iPhone when there are cheaper phones?

Why do people drive luxury cars?

Why doesn't everyone live in the same size house.

If people stopped worrying about what other people did with their money they'd be a lot of less miserable.

If people stopped worrying about what other people didnt with their money they'd be a lot of less miserable.

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

9 hours ago, djahubes said:

At some point, the ceiling will be reached for the majority of consumers. $499 seems to be the high for drivers, ~$1100 for irons, etc. I

try again. 

Titleist Ts driver is about $750-$ 800 CAD

What's in my Mizuno BR-D2 bag

OFFICIAL TESTER FOR THE PING i500 CLUBS.

Currently playing Ping i500 w/ Alta CB graphite shafts 

:mizuno-small: MP 25 - fitted w/ Project X shafts - stiff

:titelist-small: 60  / 56  :mizuno-small: 52

:titelist-small: 910 D2 driver - 9.5 degree -fitted13   F 3 wood 13.5 deg   :nike-small: CPR 3 hybrid

:nike-small: Method mallet

Dexterity:

I shoot left-handed so no one can ask me "Hey, can I try that club?" 

Twitter @GolfingHat      Instagram  @Mizunostixgolfnut

1 hour ago, Har in the Hat said:

try again. 

Titleist Ts driver is about $750-$ 800 CAD

Prices the same in the US as most drivers. New Callaway epic flash will be $529.99.  Weird thing is old Callaway drivers and Tm drivers were $500 and wit all the new tech and materials they are still $500

2 hours ago, jlukes said:

If people stopped worrying about what other people didnt with their money they'd be a lot of less miserable.

I agree up to the point where one's inability to live within their means, where want simply overruns rationale financial decisions, starts to adversely affect those that do.  All the personal bankruptcies and defaults on borrowed money are passed along.  Those who played by the rules get screwed twice.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

I think we all realize that our sport of choice has more than its share of massively wealthy participants. Golf companies also realize this, and they know that they can make a product that costs them little more than their normal product, price it with a huge markup, and increase their margins.

I won't be buying it. Most of you won't be buying it.

But someone will. And honestly, that's probably a good thing for us. That profit means that FootJoy or Callaway or whoever can also keep making other products that we can buy. It means that at least some of these golf companies don't go belly up.

So look on the bright side: every guy walking around in a pair of $700 golf shoes is subsidizing this game we all love for the rest of us 🙂

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

I agree up to the point where one's inability to live within their means, where want simply overruns rationale financial decisions, starts to adversely affect those that do.  All the personal bankruptcies and defaults on borrowed money are passed along.  Those who played by the rules get screwed twice.

I don't think we need to take the discussion about golf shoes and clubs and turn it into a socio-economic discussion.

Foot Joy wants to claim a unique subset within the market. Personally, I am more offended by the $240 BOA shoes that cost $6 to make in China.

FJ shoes (which I love BTW) are like drivers. If you wait til the next season you can buy that same shoe at 40-50% off. I never buy their shoes when they first come out.

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel