Sign in to follow this  
GolfSpy MPR

POLL: Mobile access to the forum

Mobile Access  

34 members have voted

1. 1. When using the MGS forum on your phone, do you

• Exclusively use the app?
    • Mostly use the app?
    • Mostly use the mobile browser version?
    • Exclusively use the mobile browser version?

There have recently been a couple of good discussions about features on the mobile version of the website and on the app. It would be helpful for us to get a handle on which is currently being used more heavily by our community.

The irony, I suppose, is that those on the app can't see polls. If you're using the app, go ahead and comment below. The question and options are: When using the MGS forum on your phone, do you

• exclusively use the app?
  • mostly use the app?
  • mostly use the mobile browser version?
  • exclusively use the mobile browser version?

When I am using my iPhone to browse MGS, it's pretty much exclusively at the MIL's house.  And if I'm totally bored I might pop in this place on the app there and browse for a bit.  But I've found trying to post stuff into threads on the app is a giant PITA, so I've pretty much stopped even posting anything from my phone.

When I am at home and am watching TV and get bored and go to MGS on my Chromebook, I always do it in the web browser, because the app on my Chromebook is completely worthless.

Most of my posting comes from the Windows desktop I work on during the day, as I am posting from right now.  Something about typing on a traditional keyboard, versus using my thumbs on a phone has a greater appeal to me and speeds up the BS I type here dramatically.

• Like 3

Almost exclusively use the app, except when I read a blog story that takes me to a browser.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I’ll take an App.  Had to go to the mobile site to vote for the app.  

I think I'm going to back to using the app. Using the mobile version of the site uses noticeably more data. 

My vote is mostly use the app.

Mostly use the app.

I voted wrong big fingers selected the wrong one because I can't read lol. I exclusively use mobile browser.

• Sad 1

100% app

I love it how you ask questions here and they are heard!! Thanks Mods

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, jlukes said:

I think I'm going to back to using the app. Using the mobile version of the site uses noticeably more data. 

Interesting. I was over my data last month but chalked it up to several podcasts I listened to live instead of downloading for later. 

How did you judge how much it was using. 

2 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Interesting. I was over my data last month but chalked it up to several podcasts I listened to live instead of downloading for later. 

Hi, this is Verizon, you've gone over your allotted data by 0.01 GB, you overage charge is $150,000,000. Have a good day!

Sorry, I had to.

Edited by GB13
  • Like 2

Wow surorised to see so many on the app.   Other than Jlukes comment about Data. What are the reasons for using the app. 

GSwag.  I use Firefox on my iPhone and posting text and photos are a breeze. 

But I do understand your desire for a full keyboard and screen. 

• Like 1

Just now, GB13 said:

Hi, this is Verizon, you've gone over your allotted data by 0.01 GB, you overage charge is $150,000,000. Have a good day!

LMAO!!  Luckily I have ATT

And I also just to clarify.  I didn't go over our total limit.  SWMBO and I have a shared data account.  So it's split in half.  She tells me her half is not to be touched by me, even if she's barely used any of hers.  😳

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

LMAO!!  Luckily I have ATT

And I also just to clarify.  I didn't go over our total limit.  SWMBO and I have a shared data account.  So it's split in half.  She tells me her half is not to be touched by me, even if she's barely used any of hers.  😳

Ahh, yes, ATT's overage is only $15,000,000. 

Also, that might be worse than going over the total... 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jlukes said:

14 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I haven't really looked at this aspect, but I'm going to have to pay attention to it.   If it looks like the mobile is killing my data, I'll be going back to the app as well.

I also have the Verizon $15,000,000.00 per 0.01 gig overage plan.😉

• Like 1

Wow surorised to see so many on the app.   Other than Jlukes comment about Data. What are the reasons for using the app. 
GSwag.  I use Firefox on my iPhone and posting text and photos are a breeze. 
But I do understand your desire for a full keyboard and screen. 

1. App has night reading mode.
2. Websites can be cumbersome on a phone/tablet.
3. Ease of use.

Features I’d like to see are a search that actually searches, and bring the profiles back to the app for the users.
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

My data usage has been up and when I checked the details my chrome data was much higher than usual. The only thing I changed was using the mobile site instead of the app.

Think about it, the app only needs to download basic text and a few pictures. However every time you refresh the browser with the mobile site your reloading a lot if images, tables, formatting etc.

• Like 2