2020 Forum Member Review - SuperSpeed Training System

Message added by STUDque

Follow our testers' progress live at the following Google Sheet: CLICK HERE

I've mentioned it before but Superspeeds youtube is a great resource. They just posted this which was pretty good!

⛳🛄 as of Sept 24, 2020

SuperSpeed 2020 from 100-112 and climbing!

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic Sub Zero - Set at 10* with Aldila Rogue Max 65 gram 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ weight back

:ping-small: G410 Crossover - 2 and 4 iron

Irons:     :ping-small: i210 5-U w/ Nippon Modus 105 stiff (2018 Tester)

Wedge:  :ping-small: Glide 2.0 54* 58* w/ Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Putter:   :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7 35* and oversized grip (2019 Tester)

Balls:      :srixon-small: Z Star

Other:     :Arccos: 360 (Caddie)

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi all! We wanted to thank everyone for the huge response the previous forum thread has received since 2018. We will be on this new one to answer questions and assist however we can. We look forward t

May 11th - Introduction & Initial Impressions My name is Joe, I turn 36 in June and I am from New Jersey.  At the end of 2019 my handicap was around 3.9 My typical well-struck driv

2020 Forum Member Review - SuperSpeed Training System Follow along as our nine (9) dedicated testers embark on the journey to gain more speed. The group has been broken into 3 sets of 3 testers (

Posted Images

On 2/17/2021 at 5:49 PM, Getoffmylawn said:

So, I've opined on this thread that, in my opinion, while it was helpful it wasn't absolutely necessary to have a radar to successfully pursue SuperSpeed training.  It's only right that I eat some crow, apologize to a few like @tony@CIC, and admit I was wrong...dead wrong.

My theory that I could make up for lack of a measuring device with effort and persistence did not appear to hold water.  If anyone has followed my offseason training thread you'll know I've beat the hell out of myself in the weight room, and have worked my way up to Level 4 SuperSpeed protocols, but did the latter absent a speed measuring device despite the sage wisdom of many on here.  

To say I've wasted my time would be inaccurate, but the speed gains have not been commensurate with the time or effort invested, so much so that I'm going back to the drawing board and starting all over at Level 1, plus a C Club protocol.  (I am trying to figure out how to work in some Single Arm work, but that's another conversation.)  This time, I have a radar.

Let this be a lesson to any other stubborn jack@sses like myself...get the damn radar.

Having gotten that off my chest...I did want to ask a question...many of you have described the benefit of the radar as helping you to identify what produces a fast swing versus simply a harder swing.  Can any of describe exactly what it was/is tangibly that you learned in your swing to produce greater speeds?  I keep waiting for the epiphany or realization to hit me, but for now I'm searching.  Case in point, on my C Club Max Out swings this morning at the end of the protocol, I had a 10 mph variance from the first swing to the second, and I can't honestly tell you what I physically did different at all.  Searching a bit.

There have been lots of great swing thoughts posted already, and I'm duplicating some of them. But, for sake of anyone stopping by this review, thought I'd add in my thoughts/feels:

• Loose wrists/forearms.
  • Good balance throughout the swing. 
  • High hands on the backswing.
  • A slight "pause" of the hands at the top, which for me is more of a reminder to not rip the club down from the top.
  • Fluid hips and lower body, with a big turn into my right side. Get the belt buckle pointed as far to the right as possible.
  • Feeling like I accelerate through the hitting zone.
  • Like 3

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 10.0 (Last Updated May 11, 2021)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Mavrik (9°), 45.75", Dumina AutoFlex SF505X | Unofficial AutoFlex Review
17° Hybrid:
callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Super Hybrid, 41.5", Mitsubishi MMT Hybrid 80 TX
18.5° Driving Iron: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2016 Model), 39.5", Mitsubishi MMT Utility 105 TX
21° Hybrid:
callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Epic Flash, 40", Mitsubishi MMT Hybrid 80 TX
4-AW:  
Sub70_Logo_WhtBlk.jpg.aee386374adf9afd31a02b989c839f9d.jpg Sub70 699 (4-6)/699 Pro (7-AW) Combo Set, 1° Flat, 37" 7 Iron, Mitsubishi MMT Taper 105 TX | Build Thread
54°, 58°:
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING MIM Black, 1° Flat, 35.5", 35.25", Mitsubishi MMT Wedge 105 TX | #CobraConnect Review
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
lamkin.png.5081890e009ae78e16066ee0fd18b7c0.png Lamkin Sonar Tour
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: :Arccos: Arccos | #CobraConnect Review
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: :CaddyTek: CaddyTek Caddylite EZ V8 | Unofficial Review

WITB? | 2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

Anyone on here change the grips on your speed sticks? I’m thinking of trying a CB jumbo max grip to reduce hand pressure and tension while doing to protocols

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

:cobra-small:  Speedzone White 10.5*

:callaway-small:Mavrik 4W - 16.5*

:titelist-small: 818 H1 19* Hybrid 😍

:Sub70: 939X 22* Hybrid

:Sub70: 699 Pro Black 5-AW

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore 54* and 58*

:taylormade-small: Spider Tour Black on Black on Black

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods 😉

3 hours ago, twyatt700 said:

Anyone on here change the grips on your speed sticks? I’m thinking of trying a CB jumbo max grip to reduce hand pressure and tension while doing to protocols

Haven't, but can't say it would be any different then a normal Club in the procesd. It was something i put in my review that i would like to see in the future. A sort of custom fitting option with different grips, sizes and so on.

• Like 1

⛳🛄 as of Sept 24, 2020

SuperSpeed 2020 from 100-112 and climbing!

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic Sub Zero - Set at 10* with Aldila Rogue Max 65 gram 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ weight back

:ping-small: G410 Crossover - 2 and 4 iron

Irons:     :ping-small: i210 5-U w/ Nippon Modus 105 stiff (2018 Tester)

Wedge:  :ping-small: Glide 2.0 54* 58* w/ Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Putter:   :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7 35* and oversized grip (2019 Tester)

Balls:      :srixon-small: Z Star

Other:     :Arccos: 360 (Caddie)

9 hours ago, twyatt700 said:

That is a good thought! I typically use midsize grips because they seem to reduce discomfort in my slightly arthritic left hand.

Driver: :taylormade-small: M5 10.5* (set at 8.5*) Tensei CK Orange
3W: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 15* Recoil 460ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-PW:  :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
AW: :mizuno-small:S5 52*
SW: :cleveland-small: Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW: :cleveland-small: Zipcore Black Satin 58*
Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Marxman
Bag: :bridgestone-small: Tour B Stand Bag
Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

:SuperSpeed: Tester
Starting Driver Speed on PRGR Monitor: 102 mph

Final Driver Speed (end of Level 2): 120 mph

Anyone not using their PRGR swing speed radar? 

After being in the first testing for a bit before my hip surgery, I had to send the sticks back to SS & now I don't have a swing speed radar.  Today I received my set again after forking out the cash in my desperate search for more swing speed.  Gonna be hard to track my results without a radar.  

• Like 2

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     TSi2 9* Project X HZRDUS RDX Smoke C3 setting

Fairways   HZRDUS Smoke 13.5* & 19* C3 setting

Driving Iron:   U500 17* Fujikura Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   T300 4 & 5 iron, T200 6 - W Project X 6.0 1* up

Wedges   SM7 48*, 52*, 56*

Putter    Newport 2

Ball   2020 ProV1

Does anyone have the excel files to use during the protocol?  

Putter    Newport 2

Ball   2020 ProV1

I just used a piece of paper and then entered it on their sheet. It worked fine.

Glad you’ve recovered well enough to give it a whirl. I felt bad for you when you went down.

• Like 1

Ping G410 - turned down to11.25 degrees, neutral setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

SCOR 52,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Currently testing Edison wedges to replace SCORS that are wearing out. Also auditions for the 14th spot in the bag.  Current possibilities are a Ping 26 degree hybrid - duplicates the 9 wood or 5 iron but would be used almost exclusively for chipping or Tour Exotics 3 wood simply because you can carry 14 clubs and I might occasionally hit it in certain unusual wind conditions once every four or five rounds. 

I just used a piece of paper and then entered it on their sheet. It worked fine.

Glad you’ve recovered well enough to give it a whirl. I felt bad for you when you went down.

That's what I'm doing for now

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Putter    Newport 2

Ball   2020 ProV1

I made my own excel sheet. Pretty much up to the individual as to how they want to make it.

Instagram:  @_chasing_scratch

YouTube: Chasing Scratch

Facebook:  Chasing Scratch

:SuperSpeed: Training

Pre training max driver speed: 124mph

Current: 130mph

WITB:

Driver: :ping-small: G400 LST 8.5* with HZRDUS SMOKE 6.5 70g 

Woods: :taylormade-small: 2007 Burner TP 3 wood and 5 wood

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z765 4-PW (1 degree flat) with KBS $-130 shafts

Wedges:  Vokey SM7 50/12/F, 54/10/S and 58/12/D

Putter: 681811256_Odysseylogo.png.499799aea6663befa411c8db1d859702.png Stroke Lab Ten S 33"

Ball:  :srixon-small: Z-Star XV

3 minutes ago, ChasingScratch said:

I made my own excel sheet. Pretty much up to the individual as to how they want to make it.

Yeah I'm just too lazy to make my own.  Just figured I'd ask if anyone was willing to send me theirs,   Haha!  🤣

• Like 1

Putter    Newport 2

Ball   2020 ProV1

On 3/3/2021 at 4:25 PM, golfinnut said:

Anyone not using their PRGR swing speed radar? 

After being in the first testing for a bit before my hip surgery, I had to send the sticks back to SS & now I don't have a swing speed radar.  Today I received my set again after forking out the cash in my desperate search for more swing speed.  Gonna be hard to track my results without a radar.  

Did you get a radar? Take it from me, don't do the training without it.  

I went nearly an entire year ignoring the smarter people on this thread that we're gently-to-strongly encouraging me to get one...figured I'd make up for the lack of a radar with commitment and effort.  I stayed committed, got all the way to halfway through Level 4 despite cold garage training in a Nebraska winter, but when I finally popped for a radar...let's just say I was shocked and embarrassed by the astonishing lack of progress.  I didn't need the radar to stay motivated, but it's absolutely true that it's vital to teach you how to produce speed.

• Like 3

Driver: :honma:TR20 460, Vizard 60g Stiff

FW: :tour-edge: CBX 119 3w, 15,  Project X Evenflow Blue 75g Stiff

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: SIM DHY 3 & 4H, Diamana Limited Hybrid 75g Stiff

Iron: :mizuno-small:JPX 919 Forged 5-GW, Project X 6.0

Wedges::vokey-small:SM8 54 S Grind, 60 M Grind

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER7B 

:SuperSpeed:

Tested the Honma TR20 460 driver

3 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

🤔Did you get a radar? Take it from me, don't do the training without it.  

I went nearly an entire year ignoring the smarter people on this thread that we're gently-to-strongly encouraging me to get one...figured I'd make up for the lack of a radar with commitment and effort.  I stayed committed, got all the way to halfway through Level 4 despite cold garage training in a Nebraska winter, but when I finally popped for a radar...let's just say I was shocked and embarrassed by the astonishing lack of progress.  I didn't need the radar to stay motivated, but it's absolutely true that it's vital to teach you how to produce speed.

No I haven't yet.  Still hoping someone who is done with their training coughs one up.  Or maybe SS chimes in with an offer to get another radar?  

• Like 1

Putter    Newport 2

Ball   2020 ProV1

37 minutes ago, golfinnut said:

No I haven't yet.  Still hoping someone who is done with their training coughs one up.  Or maybe SS chimes in with an offer to get another radar?  

If you ever do get a radar I can send you my spread sheet for keeping track. The radar for me not only helped log progress but keep track of where the fastest point in my swing is. If I made two swings of equal effort but one was significantly slower than the other on the radar then I know I released the club way to early and lost a ton of speed for the same amount of effort. 

• Like 2

Driver: :ping-small: Ping G410 Plus 9° HZRDUS Smoke Yellow (S  Flex)

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 3 Wood 15° Ventus Black 7S

3 Utility Iron: :cobra-small: King Utility Iron 18.5° Project X HZRDUS (S Flex)

3 Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 18° Tensei Blue 70S

4i-AW: :taylormade-small: 2019 P790 Nippon Zelos 7 (S Flex, Std Lie, +1/2" Length) Zelos 7 Official Member Review (Here)

56°:  :vokey-small: SM4 56° Loft,  8° Bounce

60°: :macgregor-small: VIP 60°

Putter: :ping-small: Scottsdale TR Sanita B 

Shot Tracking: :Arccos: Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour BX

*Depending on the course and conditions I choose between my hybrid and utility iron the day of.

Follow My Super Speed Training Progress Below 103mph-112mph and Gaining

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KpCSY2sLk97yCmUyoW-aVzLLs_k4CuPR5708OrVw5gA/edit?usp=sharing

Yeah I'm just too lazy to make my own.  Just figured I'd ask if anyone was willing to send me theirs,   Haha!  🤣

Send me your email and I’ll send you what I made.

• Like 2

Instagram:  @_chasing_scratch

YouTube: Chasing Scratch

Facebook:  Chasing Scratch

:SuperSpeed: Training

Pre training max driver speed: 124mph

Current: 130mph

WITB:

Driver: :ping-small: G400 LST 8.5* with HZRDUS SMOKE 6.5 70g 

Woods: :taylormade-small: 2007 Burner TP 3 wood and 5 wood

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z765 4-PW (1 degree flat) with KBS $-130 shafts

Wedges:  Vokey SM7 50/12/F, 54/10/S and 58/12/D

Putter: 681811256_Odysseylogo.png.499799aea6663befa411c8db1d859702.png Stroke Lab Ten S 33"

Ball:  :srixon-small: Z-Star XV

March is here and I finally got my first round of superspeed in this past Saturday.   I am pretty sure it all is a dream because the results were waaaaaaay different than expected.  Good news and bad news to report.  I thought I lost a little speed over 2020 and that was verified in my pre-protocol driver swings topping out at a whopping 103mph.  

On to the positives.  If there is anything that stands out, following these protocols as instructed taught me to how to let loose and swing faster.  My goal going into superspeed was cresting 110mph with my driver.  That has now changed.  After doing the first workout Saturday evening, I picked up my driver to see if there was any difference; the 3 swings measured 119, 120, 121.  To say I am shocked is an understatement.  I don't know how much of this will translate to the golf course, but I am pumped and can't wait to see where this goes. 

Now the bad news, I picked up a nagging injury in the gym this morning because I am stupid and didn't warm up or stretch so I'm on the sideline for the next few days-week. 

• Like 5

2020 MGS Hard Rock Challenge

SkyCaddie SX400
OGIO Silencer:  Followed by Arccos
:ping-small: G410+, Tensei Orange
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w, Evenflow Riptide
:nike-small: Covert 2.0 3H, Kuro Kage Black
:wilson-small:
Wilson D7 Irons 4-GW,  Dynamic Gold AMT
:ping-small: Glide  52, 56 ES
:EVNROLL: ER2
:titelist-small: -ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

I have been doing the protocols for 4 weeks since "being back" and have slowly seen my speeds decrease week to week. With that I've decided to only do the flat swings to not do the step change. I have found I struggle maintaining my sequencing and it decreases my overall speeds. Will report back after 4 weeks what I find.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 4

I have not done a training since I had my lower leg injury a month or so ago.  I feel as if I'm healthy enough to start again when I return from a trip to do a church service on the other side of the state the end of this week - so maybe Sunday after the Players.

However a funny thing happened on the golf course Sunday and range today.  I hit my last drive past my friend who is 10 years younger and normally 15 yards longer than I am on 18 - we are finally getting some roll although to be honest that often increases the distance between us as he launches it far lower than I do.  Then today my driver Swing Speed was in the low to mid 90's very consistently - I've been averaging 94 and I averaged 93, actually 93.4 today so it's not that far off.  I can only attribute that to the physical therapy that I've been doing.  I think those two things in tandem have great potential.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

Ping G410 - turned down to11.25 degrees, neutral setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 52,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Currently testing Edison wedges to replace SCORS that are wearing out. Also auditions for the 14th spot in the bag.  Current possibilities are a Ping 26 degree hybrid - duplicates the 9 wood or 5 iron but would be used almost exclusively for chipping or Tour Exotics 3 wood simply because you can carry 14 clubs and I might occasionally hit it in certain unusual wind conditions once every four or five rounds. 

Alright did my first workout in about a month. I can still feel it in my Achilles. It my trainer told me it’s time to push it so I did.

Just did level 1 - I will stick with that for a couple of weeks then maybe jump to where I was. Speed was down in protocols though I had a few curious left handed ones including a records 105 with the Red Stick. [emoji851]

What was good was the dry driver swings - 105 top, 103 average pre protocol, 112 top, 107 average post.

• Like 5

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 52,60

EVNRoll ER 5

• 2 weeks later...

I won't go into the full round in this thread but I played my first round of the year this past Saturday, and oh my word I haven't been that bad off the tee in years!  Long, but HUGE push fades.  My approach shots started out okay but as the round progressed everything started right and leaked right.

After a winter of non-stop SuperSpeed work maybe that's to blame?  It seems to me that I was flying open, I need to spend some time on the range and find my normal draw, and I suspect I'll be able to find it quickly just by focusing on the feeling of keeping my back to the target longer.  Just thought I'd share here given I know many have experienced some wild ball flight after embarking on these protocols.  I trust most everyone sorted that out soon enough?

• Like 6

Driver: :honma:TR20 460, Vizard 60g Stiff

FW: :tour-edge: CBX 119 3w, 15,  Project X Evenflow Blue 75g Stiff

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: SIM DHY 3 & 4H, Diamana Limited Hybrid 75g Stiff

Iron: :mizuno-small:JPX 919 Forged 5-GW, Project X 6.0

Wedges::vokey-small:SM8 54 S Grind, 60 M Grind

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER7B 

:SuperSpeed:

Tested the Honma TR20 460 driver