Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Go / No go

legal size of a ball can't be smaller than 1.68"

You can check out the Ball Lab article to see the gauge they use at MGS.

https://mygolfspy.com/mygolfspy-ball-lab/

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Im thinking gauging a ball for roundness isn't important these days. I have somewhere and old gauge ring people used to carry in their bag back when balatta balls were a thing. I didn't play them much at the time because they were expensive at $18 a dozen. LOL - and... one thin strike or a collision with a tree or cart path and they were ruined. Heck those old balatta balls would go out-of-round from good ball striking. I'm sure gauge rings can still be found out on the web somewhere if you really want one.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

4 hours ago, PlaidJacket said:

Im thinking gauging a ball for roundness isn't important these days. I have somewhere and old gauge ring people used to carry in their bag back when balatta balls were a thing. I didn't play them much at the time because they were expensive at $18 a dozen. LOL - and... one thin strike or a collision with a tree or cart path and they were ruined. Heck those old balatta balls would go out-of-round from good ball striking. I'm sure gauge rings can still be found out on the web somewhere if you really want one.

Just from the small tidbits Tony has thrown out with the early ball lab results he's working on I think we will all be very surprised with how many balls aren't round

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

• Guests
Guest Delete
16 hours ago, Cheers big ears said:

Does anyone know the correct diameters needed to make a go / no go gauge for ball size and roundness?

The no go side would be 1.68" and the ball is not allowed to go through. 

I am guessing the Go side would be either 1.69" or 1.70" which would allow you to spin the ball inside it to check for round.

If you are just fooling around at home then a set of calipers measured in three places would give you a reference. But, the gauge measures the whole diameter at once.