Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Golf-WOD... Lockdown Program

Zen Snake

This looks really interesting [mention]Zen Snake [/mention] thanks for posting. I’ll be following along and looking into the program.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

So, I fell behind and am playing catch-up this week  so you see allot of post from me this week. So I wasn't able to make it to the second half of the first week, but I was able to row 2 of the days I was supposed to be working out. So no rest for me. Week 1 day 3 workout. This was a ball buster, really pushed my cardio. Mind you I'm no cardio monster, transitioning from strength to conditioning has and isn't easy for me. But I will keep grinding it out cause that's what I do. That all being said but I did enjoy it. 3 different WOD's each puched me in a different way. I'll say this about this program, I feel like its a off season program. hence the lockdown program. If you still cant golf yet, this is a great program for you. It is a push but the results you see will outweigh the lil bit of soreness you will have to deal with while you are doing this program. And speaking of the program, I'd like to discuss an exercise that will benefit your rotational movement and help gain some explosiveness in your swing. SPLIT STANCE MED BALL SLAMS. I would highly recommend looking these up and adding them to your future routines if you don't give Golf-WOD a try. These have been a great addition to my workouts. So some of yall might be wondering how this has effected my game. Well Im not stiff or sore, my flexibility or my rotational movements have actually gotten better. Allot of things we as golfers worrie about when we workout. A loss of mobility. So far with this program I don't see it as an issue. Hope this has given you some more insight into this programming .

:ping-small:G410 LST 7* W/ UST V2 84-gram S-shaft

:ping-small:G400 Strength 3 wood 12* W/ UST V2 94-gram S-shaft

:tour-edge: EXS PRO Hybrid 19* & 22* W/ 6.0 SMOKE 80g

:srixon-small: Z585 5-PW MODUS Tour S-105 / May switch out to S400's in the future

:cleveland-small:CBX FULL FACE 56* & Smart Sole 4 G/W 50*

:cleveland-small:Cleveland Classic Collection HB 2 Black Pearl putter

:Snell:MTB-X Yellow

:titelist-small: Bag

:Arccos:

@Zen Snake - for the ball based exercises, do you use a wall ball, medicine ball, or slam ball? i have a true slam ball that is 35 pounds that is only good for overhead slams, and then a hard rubber 12 pound medicine ball that is too light for a lot of exercises. also trying to figure out how to best do the exercises where you throw the ball off the wall at home without destroying drywall. thinking about doing them outside.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

@dlow206 allot to unload here so I'll break this down as best as I can. For the ball based exercises I use the ball that best fits the exercise. For some that don't have all 3 and had to chose one I would suggest an old school medicine or what they might call a wall ball. And as far as saving you dry wall 2 things, don't throw the hard Slam Ball or the Rubber medicine ball against the wall. 2, use 2 strips of plywood layered one on top of another secured to your wall at the studs, we have a similar set-up at the gym. Something I notice in your comment about being to light. In this programing light is ok, just turn that light weight into speed by being more explosive in the movement.  For example when I do the slit stance med ball slam. I'm only using an 6-8 lbs med/wall ball. I'm being as explosive in this movement as I can. I hope this helps, I'm also posting a good link on med balls and the types to help anyone in choosing their home equipment.

Note: I have no affiliation to this website and they do not pay me in anyway, It was just one I found online that best help with this discussion.

https://www.gymventures.com/best-medicine-balls-guide/

medicine-balls-vs-wall-balls-vs-slam-balls-comparison.png

:srixon-small: Z585 5-PW MODUS Tour S-105 / May switch out to S400's in the future

OK, Yesterday workout was great. It was short and sweet. Only lasted about 45-55 minutes from start to finish. 2 different WOD's. So cause I like to be challenged I changed it to be more of a gym specific workout. I'll give this one out for ya and ya'll can give it a try.

5  rounds of

4 - reps military press (Seated KB/DB press, Standing KB/DB press)

6 - weighted rows (Any type of row, Machine, Cable, DB/KB)

8 - pressing movement (Pushups, Bench, DB/KB/Barbell, Floor press)

10 - KB/DB Swings

Just be creative and enjoy it. I know I have been enjoying the program. I will say this one might make you a lil sore than the Stallings 6 week starter program. It's Definitely an off season program or one to use if your still on lockdown, or the courses are still closed. But like they state I think allot of use could see an improvement in swing speed through the use of this type of programming.

And a side note I was still able to get out and knock out 30 min of putting and chipping.

@Zen Snake have you tracked your SS at the start of this to see if you are getting improvements in that aspect as well?

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

6 hours ago, Zen Snake said:

@dlow206 allot to unload here so I'll break this down as best as I can. For the ball based exercises I use the ball that best fits the exercise. For some that don't have all 3 and had to chose one I would suggest an old school medicine or what they might call a wall ball. And as far as saving you dry wall 2 things, don't throw the hard Slam Ball or the Rubber medicine ball against the wall. 2, use 2 strips of plywood layered one on top of another secured to your wall at the studs, we have a similar set-up at the gym. Something I notice in your comment about being to light. In this programing light is ok, just turn that light weight into speed by being more explosive in the movement.  For example when I do the slit stance med ball slam. I'm only using an 6-8 lbs med/wall ball. I'm being as explosive in this movement as I can. I hope this helps, I'm also posting a good link on med balls and the types to help anyone in choosing their home equipment.

Note: I have no affiliation to this website and they do not pay me in anyway, It was just one I found online that best help with this discussion.

https://www.gymventures.com/best-medicine-balls-guide/

medicine-balls-vs-wall-balls-vs-slam-balls-comparison.png

Thanks for the response. I am experimenting with a contraption that I am trying to make for throwing the ball at, but not sure if it will work well or not. I have a wood pallet laying around the house and extra plywood as well. See if I can put that either against a wall or somewhere outside against the house.

Updated 07/15/2022
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip

4 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

Thanks for the response. I am experimenting with a contraption that I am trying to make for throwing the ball at, but not sure if it will work well or not. I have a wood pallet laying around the house and extra plywood as well. See if I can put that either against a wall or somewhere outside against the house.

Ill stop at the gym today tack a pick of what im talking about and see if that gives you some ideas.

4 minutes ago, Zen Snake said:

Ill stop at the gym today tack a pick of what im talking about and see if that gives you some ideas.

Thanks. I'm trying to avoid questioning from my wife on why I attached something to the wall in the garage. So seeing if I can create a solution that doesnt require attaching something.

Updated 07/15/2022

On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 12:21 PM, palvord said:

@Zen Snake have you tracked your SS at the start of this to see if you are getting improvements in that aspect as well?

So @palvord before I started this programming I had been fitted with a driver and my swing speed was (Edited 110) through the fitting. Latter after an 18 hole I went in and got my swing speed tested again and still averaged from (Edited 110). For me swings-peed isn't a issue it was more the being able to maintain the swing speed throughout the round. and that has improved for me. the not getting wore out half way through the round has stopped. That was one improvement from the Stallings program I noticed. Today I will go in and see if there is an improvement. and let u know. hope this helped. I will say this, the super speed is in the future to add to the programming.

Thanks. I'm trying to avoid questioning from my wife on why I attached something to the wall in the garage. So seeing if I can create a solution that doesnt require attaching something.
This is one way of saving ur sheetrock. I'd double it up if ur gonna throw the slam balls into it 20200610_134331_HDR.jpeg20200610_134338_HDR.jpeg

Sent from my LG-H931 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

After doing the beginner program, I am about 2 days into the 12 week power program. It is definitely more power focused with less conditioning exercises (but still a sufficient amount of conditioning). It is a great program.

Updated 07/15/2022

I'll start it after the lockdown program

After doing the beginner program, I am about 2 days into the 12 week power program. It is definitely more power focused with less conditioning exercises (but still a sufficient amount of conditioning). It is a great program.

1 minute ago, Zen Snake said:

I'll start it after the lockdown program

For you, it will probably be somewhat similar to your powerlifting workouts.

For me, i never did things like power cleans in the past, so i think its going to really help my overall strength.

Updated 07/15/2022

@Zen Snake - what is your opinion on using sandbags for things like squats and other exercises? i don't have a squat rack at home, so i usually do dumbell front squats. was thinking of supplementing with a sandbag. seems like the sandbag would be good for golf because it will help improve stability.

Updated 07/15/2022

Programming is pushing me harder than I was expecting. I said this before that this is a program to build strength while being on lock down and not able to play golf. Strength gains and explosiveness is a big factor in programming so far. Lots of jumping, weather it be box jumps or lateral jumps. Both will help with explosiveness through the ball with ur lower body, this is key and that's what they want us working on. Lots of good leg drive.

10 minutes ago, Zen Snake said:

Programming is pushing me harder than I was expecting. I said this before that this is a program to build strength while being on lock down and not able to play golf. Strength gains and explosiveness is a big factor in programming so far. Lots of jumping, weather it be box jumps or lateral jumps. Both will help with explosiveness through the ball with ur lower body, this is key and that's what they want us working on. Lots of good leg drive.

The 12 week Power program is similar, my legs are toast from squats and jumps. 

I've been doing the workouts on M, T, TH, FR so that I can hopefully recover before my Sunday round.

Updated 07/15/2022

On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 12:21 PM, palvord said:

OK, so I don't think my swing speed has improved much if any at all, but I will say that my swing speed consistency has improved. I feel that the speed at the start of the round is just as consistent as the end. the program has done that for sure. 

1 hour ago, Zen Snake said:

OK, so I don't think my swing speed has improved much if any at all, but I will say that my swing speed consistency has improved. I feel that the speed at the start of the round is just as consistent as the end. the program has done that for sure. 

That is a big improvement, because it is one thing to hit your top end SS one time in the round, but being able to do it every time in the round is massive.

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

44 minutes ago, palvord said:

That is a big improvement, because it is one thing to hit your top end SS one time in the round, but being able to do it every time in the round is massive.

I'm going to be tracking my distance improvement informally. Hole 10 at my club has a water hazard that you need to hit it probably a little over 250 to carry from the blue tees. Right now, I usually land it a few yards short of the water hazard. Luckily the fairways have been wet or else the balls may roll into the hazard. I am confident that I can increase my swingspeed enough to carry that hazard.

Updated 07/15/2022

On 6/12/2020 at 12:52 PM, dlow206 said:

I'm going to be tracking my distance improvement informally. Hole 10 at my club has a water hazard that you need to hit it probably a little over 250 to carry from the blue tees. Right now, I usually land it a few yards short of the water hazard. Luckily the fairways have been wet or else the balls may roll into the hazard. I am confident that I can increase my swingspeed enough to carry that hazard.

Went for it today and hit it right into the hazard, and I really had went after it. This is a good benchmark for me to see if my distance goes up after the Power Program.

Updated 07/15/2022

This training was from the weekend, I'm still grinding it out everyday. Training, Cardio, putting, chipping, and playing. Its been taking its tool on me to, Mind you I'm Trying to push myself by doing more than just the programing. That being said, I contacted the team at Golf WOD and they sent me a 12 day Functional Mobility programing to help with my recovery. I will be adding this to the regiment and hopefully it helps. I will say with this programing a good stretching program or regime will help with the goal we all have, to be better golfers. That is the ultimate goal.

training.jpg

This is such a great resource.  I'm a big fan of Stallings and his story.  I guess I never really looked into what his workouts were but was always interested.  Looking forward to giving these a shot!

Ping G430 Max 9* turned up to 10* in draw setting X-Stiff Ping Tour Chrome 2.0 60

Srixon ZX 3w Ventus Velocore Blue 7s

Ping G425 5w X-Stiff Ping Tour 70 

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Modus Tour 105 Stiff 

Srixon ZX& 7-PW  Modus Tour 105 Stiff 

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore 50* 54* 58* TrueTemper Dynamic Gold Spinner

See the source image Phantom X5 Putter

Ball: Srixon Z-Star Diamond <>

My back stiffened up so I had to halt week 2 of the power program. I am restarting the power program week 2 next week.

Updated 07/15/2022

I picked up a sandbag to use for some of the exercises. I like that the sand inside moves around a bit to better work stabilizing muscles. 

8977CFB0-1B14-4C9B-A377-0CE9407DDD3D.jpeg.ac21ff64e6c637bb3f01bd813c74ce1a.jpeg

Updated 07/15/2022

I picked up a sandbag to use for some of the exercises. I like that the sand inside moves around a bit to better work stabilizing muscles. 
8977CFB0-1B14-4C9B-A377-0CE9407DDD3D.jpeg.ac21ff64e6c637bb3f01bd813c74ce1a.jpeg

Where did you get that? Cause I want one!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Ping G430 Max 9* turned up to 10* in draw setting X-Stiff Ping Tour Chrome 2.0 60

Srixon ZX 3w Ventus Velocore Blue 7s

Ping G425 5w X-Stiff Ping Tour 70 

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Modus Tour 105 Stiff 

Srixon ZX& 7-PW  Modus Tour 105 Stiff 

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore 50* 54* 58* TrueTemper Dynamic Gold Spinner

See the source image Phantom X5 Putter

Ball: Srixon Z-Star Diamond <>

46 minutes ago, twyatt700 said:

Where did you get that? Cause I want one!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I got mine from Rogue, a bit on the spendier side, and a lot of other vendors are sold out. https://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-sandbags

I didn't buy the filler bags from Rogue though. I bought 6 mil contractor bags for the inner bags and filled with pea gravel. Figure if they leak, its gravel instead of sand so won't be nearly as messy.

Updated 07/15/2022