Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Best clubs of all time?

Drivers, fairway woods, putters no real single standout for me - Taylormade have made several really great woods over the years. Different story on irons though. For me, Ben Hogan Apex II irons were the best I have ever owned over 50+ years of playing this wonderful game.

Easy to shape either way and just the purist feeling hitting them. Proviso is the need to be playing regularly as a small sweet spot !

In my opinion the Topflight Tour oversize irons with the Dynalite Gold steel shafts from the 90's are hard to beat.  When I need a change in club scenery, I occasionally pull them out to play them.  They hit as far, are as forgiving, and play better, at times, than my current Mizunos forged irons.  I still use my blue Nike Vapor driver because I can't find a new $600 driver that drives the ball farther with more forgiveness.  Also, a side note, my Dave Musty custom wood putter from I received 8 years ago still works as good as any other putter I have tried.  The new adjustable putters, and a fitting, might change that though.

Edited by igcascade

For Me, it has to be my Titleist 690.MB irons. Love the profile, turf interaction and long blade length.

Driver- Taylormade R580XD- I could hit any s*** with it. Doesn’t have the distance of todays drivers, but it was a great club for me at the time. 

fairway woods- the Cobra F7, such balanced performance and accuracy. Amazing turf interaction with the rails. 

wedges-Taylormade mg3 wedges. Never had a wedge be better for me. 

putter-Ping Anser 2- the OG that started it all. 

Driver: TSR4

3W: Cobra F7

Irons:Ben Hogan Icon

50&54: Ben Hogan Equalizer 2

58: Taylormade Hi Toe 3

My favorite irons of all time were the Yonex Super ADX Tour irons with their pro spec long drive team graphite shafts.  My dad had a friend on their team and he gave me a set of these after he decided not to change from his 1st set of the year after getting them adjusted for loft and lie.  I used them for 20+ years.  Other than they were REALLY short, (my 5 iron was shorter than my current 7 iron in the Mizuno Pro 223 set with steel shafts and I'm a lot older now).  However, these had true blade feel and were still very forgiving.  Love them so much but couldn't handle the distance loss any longer as I got older and had to upgrade (first to Cobra ForgedTec and now to my Mizunos).

• Callaway Epic Flash Tour Certified - 8.5° with MCA Tensei Raw AV White 70 Gram Tour X - Tipped 1" - Set to N / -1
  • Callaway AiSmoke Triple Diamond - 15* 3-wood - Project X Denali 6.5 flex shaft - Set to N/S
  • Titleist TS2 Hybrid (18°) with MCA Tensei White AV 80X shaft - C1 setting
  • Taylormade P7MC (2020) Irons - 4-9 (Standard L/L) with Tour Issue X100 Shafts at +5/8"
  • Taylormade MG4 48.09SB TI X100 and 52.09SB / 56.12SB / 60.07LBV wedges with DG TI Onyx Black X100 Shafts at +5/8"
  • Golf Pride ZGRIP Plus2 on irons and wedges (plus fairway) / Lamkin ST Hybrid Midsize on Driver / Hybrid
  • Sik DW (2.0) C Series Putter in black finish (36") with Sik Golf Black Pistol
  • Balls: Mostly Maxfli Tour

Ping eye 2 great clubs. The old bullet putter.

Driver Callaway Epic Flash

Callaway Epic GGB Heaven wood

5 Hybid Callaway Rogue 

Callaway Rogue 5 – PW irons

Callaway Super Soft

I also think the Ping Eye 2 was a big game changer.

ping revolutionized the game with it’s clubs.

Driver Mavrik Subzero set to 9.5. 
Rougue 4 wood 16.5

Titleist 818 hybrid 21

Callaway Apex pro black dot 4 through P

Callaway Jaws 50/10,, MD 4 56/10, and Titlest SM 6 60/12

SC Futura 5.5

Best clubs for most folk is what could be reliably played for years.

So I will start with Ping Eye 2. I also had 1-PW with a Wilson R-90 sand wedge. At the time I didn't test any club set as reliable as that set. I played those clubs for 15 years. What changed my mind? Callaway X-12 and then Steelheads that were an updated version of the X-12. 

Wood wise, I hit a lot of buddies woods when I started but my set of Palmer Precision woods were as good as I could afford. I ruined them. A buddy, burgeoning club maker,  said he would put in the "new" technology fiberglass shaft and if I didn't like them, he would put the steel shafts back in. Hated them. Went back in a week but he had already sold the iron shafts with some Golfsmith heads to someone else... It didn't end well.

I really liked my GBB original wood set. My wife got them for me as a retirement present when I left the Marines. Now I can't imagine anything better than my Epic driver. I have hit the Stealth and wasn't enamored with it. Going to test the Mizuno offering pretty soon so will see if they can replace what I have.

Putters. I really regret letting my Bullseye putter go. I am sure there is nothing about it that matches today's putters technology wise, but I had fun hitting puts from both sides.

I have hit a lot of clubs at Demo days. The Mizuno and Titleist irons have been universally fun to hit. 

Driver: Callaway Epic 9 degree, stiff (set at 10 degrees with the movable weight in the center}

FW: Callaway Epic 3,5, heaven wood w/ regular shaft (driver shaft in 3 wood, 3 wood shaft in 5 wood, 5 wood shaft in heaven wood, all three set at neutral plus 1 degree)

Hybrids: Callaway BB19 4,6,7 (4 set at neutral plus 1 degree and 6 and 7 set at neutral minus 1 degree for gapping purposes)

Irons: Callaway Rogue ST Max 8, 9, PW 

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 50,54,58

Ball: Titleist Pro V1, 1X, Vice Pro Plus or anything I find that day and try out for the fun of it (I haven't bought balls with my own money in at least 10 years)

My all-time favorite wedges was Spalding Cannon II!  As for irons, I loved the Daiwa blades that my bud in high school had (early 90's).  From that point on, love playing blades.  Cannot say much about putters though.  Still looking for that standout putter!!

Salisbury New Taylormade M1 Demo - Tailor Made Logo Png Clipart ...Driver: Taylor Made Stealth 10.5*

Mizuno Irons: JPX 923 Tour

Irons: Proto Rose

Ladies Golf Balls - Titleist Golf Logo Clipart (#110861) - PinClipartWedges: SM7 52.08; SM6 60.04

Cleveland Golf Png & Free Cleveland Golf.png Transparent Images ...Wedges: Zip core: 54, and 58 

Callaway Golf Wedge: Jaws 50

Salisbury New Taylormade M1 Demo - Tailor Made Logo Png Clipart ... Putter: Platinum S

Odyssey putter: Jail Bird

I really love the Mizuno MP-33 irons. The feeling when hit just right is next to none. I am looking forward to when I have a couple of bucks saved to get fitted for a new Mizuno set.

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST R Flex

3 Wood: TaylorMade Razr

Hybrids: Callaway Rogue Max 3 - 5

Irons: TaylorMade M5

Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind 4 52, 54/Titleist Vokey M6 56

Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7

R.jpg

For me:

Irons: Mizuno Pro (1997-1999) -- to this day, my only solo, scratch tournament victories were with these irons.

Fairway (specifically 3w): Tour Edge Exotics E8 Beta -- really regret getting rid of this one, wish I swapped out the shaft instead.

Driver: Torn. Absolutely loved the Cobra Speed Pro (S, I think), which I was using after a brief break on golf, specifically inspired by Camilo, and friends still rib me about replacing it. But I think my best driver performance came with the Callaway FT-3 Fusion (when I was playing all the time). 

Wedges: Odyssey Blackspin - probably more nostalgic at this point, though. 

Putter: Rife 2-bar (the original - I'm sure the remakes are fine, but this is another one I regret replacing). 

Wild Card: Callaway Big Bertha Heaven Wood. It was my dad's, and I occasionally borrowed it for a round (he also swore by the Divine Nine). But it was so easy to hit back. In fact...still have it, might regrip and try it again.

**And now...keeping my original comment there so you can follow my rambling thought process...it actually looks like it's not the Heaven, and my dad was sold the previous model with the Warbird Heaven Wood cover 🤣  I swear it was the Warbird Heaven Wood head too, but I'm pretty sure this is his original (very possible he had both and only kept this one...):

image.png.edab8d284a53a480754b25de27133bcf.png 

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus 8* (adjusted to 8.75*), Mitsubishi Diamana ZF 70 X Flex (New toy incoming!)

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Stealth2 Plus, 15* (adjusted to 14.25*) w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-IZ 7X

Irons:  :titleist-small: U505 1 Iron (16*), T200 "Utility Build" 3 and 4 irons, all with Graphite Design Tour AD-IZ 95 X Flex, :titleist-small: T100S 5-9 with Nippon Pro Modus 120 X Flex (2021 MGS Test). These things are monsters. 

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM9 46.10, 54.12, and 58.08, all with custom etchings & KBS Tour Masters-themed shafts, X-flex (CHA Post)

Putter: Total headcase and Putter Ho. Down to two main options in the rotation (one mallet, one blade), but have 4-5 by the basement putting green that might make it in the bag at some point this year... Mallet: :L.A.B.: Mezz XL 36" Orange; Blade: :L.A.B.: Link.1 w/Accra White shaft & :garsen: grip

Wow, my custom fitted Positive Putter is perfect for me.  I think the best putter is the Ping putter that everyone copied.   

For me the KZG forged III were the best irons cavity backs ever made.  I had three sets over 20 years and would still play them if I could get new sets.  I think the Miura baby blades 1957 are the best irons I every hit.  I don't own any game improvement irons so I don't know.

Wedges:  If I can only have one it would be Renegar wedges because there sole design is so versatile.  The favorite wedges now illegal would be the Cleveland CG12 RTG DSG wedges with square groves were awesome.  I just don't believe any one wedge is great for all wedge shots.

Titleist TSR 3 driver is the best of my golf life.  

Fairway wood?

Hybrids?

Driver: Titleist TSR 3 10* Accura TZ6 M3 65g

Fairways: Callaway Rogue 15* & 19* Matrix Ozik TP 6 HD stiff 

Hybrid: Titleist TSI 4 & 5 Hybrids Mitsubishi Tensi AV 65 HY X stiff   

Irons:  KZG Forged III 6-P Accura iS7 (Refinished and regrooved)

Wedges: Cleveland CBX  50*, Taylormade MG 3 Tiger grind 56 bent to 54/10 & Taylormade MG 4 Tiger grind 56 bent to 58/14

Putter: Positive Putter's Custom P2 (think Edel putter meets Heavy Putter)

Ball: Callaway Chome Tour                        

All clubs have Winn Dri-Tac Wraps oversized

Have to agree on the Ping Eye 2 irons.  When mine were stolen I purchased a set of Ping Eye 2+ irons and they were not nearly as good of a club.

Honorable mention to Lynx Parallax irons 😁

:taylormade-small: SLDR 10.5 Oban HB

:taylormade-small: R11s Rip Phenom

:Hogan: Ft. Worth Black Irons

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54

:cleveland-small: CG10 58

:EVNROLL: EV 5.3 Duo

-What's the best of all time?

(names some very old set)

-Are you playing them now?

HELL NO! 

Driver: King Cobra 454 Comp 10.5° // 5 Wood: Macgregor MGX 20° // 2 hybrid: Lazrus 15° // 5 hybrid: Lazrus 24° // Irons: Cobra F8 One Length 5 - GW // 52° Wedge Lazrus // 56° Wedge Ping Gorge // 60° Wedge Ping Gorge // Putter: Lazrus or Ping Zing 2i // Balls:  Maxfli Tour Yellow // Range Finder: Voweek

The best clubs I have ever played were the original Callaway Big Bertha irons (1995), ugly clubs but great to hit. Moreover, I did not know until recently just how much of a forgiving iron they were until I checked out the Maltby Playability Factor (MPF) - Ultra game improvement irons rated at 1111 MPF, which is nearly double my current set of Mizuno JPX 1919s forged at 619 MPF. 

A link for those geeks interested in checking out irons -  https://www.golfworks.com/head-mpf-ratings/   

Technology is way better now so new is the best but if it comes to the most important to me , it was my MacGregor persimmon woods , my Wilson Staff FG-17 blades , my Wilson R-90 sandwedge and my old Ping Anser putter - they taught me the love of the game 

Ping driver 

ping fairway

tour edge irons 

Cleveland wedges

Scotty mallet

Picked up a set of Mizuno MX20s early 2000s. Bought them from Maple Hill at golf show 465$ cash no receipt. I was in love. Still have them. Grooves are worn, bent to stronger lofts. The feel was just amazing. 

Started with 100$ set out of PX in White Sands NM 1970..53yrs later Miz 923hm. 1.9 hncp.

For me the irons would be Mizuno T-Zoids....first forged clubs I played and still wish I had them.  Woods TaylorMade Burner Bubble, I still have them in garage.  Amazing how small they look now!

Seriously. This one's not close.  Ping's Eye 2 irons and Anser putter were game changers, widely imitated to this day.  These two designs set the tone for the next 50 years of premium club builds.  

Callaway Epic Max Driver & 3 Wood (R)

Mizuno JPX 850 Hybrids (19, 22 & 25) (R)

Ping ie1 irons (6-P) (S)

Mizuno T5 Wedges (52/9, 56/14, 60/10) (W)

Ping Anser Milled 3 Putter

Bettinardi BB 1 and BB8W Putter (v.2022)

Titleist Pro V1x / Taylor Made TP5X

The best clubs for me in the past were the Big Bertha cavity back irons from 1996 with the RCH 96 graphite shafts but……Deejaid makes a great point above. If we are talking about the best clubs of all time, why aren’t we playing them now? Currently I’m playing Callaway Apex 21 irons and Ping G410 woods and technically they are the best clubs of all time for me! 😎

Kevin F Kelley

Well, I don’t of best, because the performance and playability of anything made in the last 10 years (besides players irons) is so far ahead of the prior equipment, it’s not even funny…but, favorites that really made huge gains for me were: Taylormade ICW and Burner Tour Spoon (had dimples on the back) FW. Titleist 983K and Callaway Big Bertha Titanium Driver. A little newer clubs I absolutely loved: Titleist 905R Driver, Taylormade 2016 M2 Driver, Adams Insight Tech 9015 Driver (still long!)

TSR2  9* Ventus Velocore Blue 6S

TRS2 15* Ventus Velocore Red 7S

TS 21* Diamana BF 80S

TSI 23* Ventus HB 8S

Titleist 714 AP2 5-9 PX 6.0

Vokey SM6 Raw 48F/SM8 50F/56M/60M

SC X Fantom 5

Vessel Player 14 2.0

As far as "all time" I really can't say. I don't really have the research clout to dig up all the economic metric that would be involved. As far as the "best" for me?  I have to go with my current players, Ping G400 irons and Driver. Had then for past 5 seasons and have no desire to invest in others. They play good for me.

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet

Mizuno Mp-68 for me.

Bought the last model of Ap1's because I couldn't find the middle of the Mizuno's.  After some decent practice and confidence coming back, have gone back to the Mizuno's and in love with them again.

Still love my 2016 M2.  I will have to crack the head before I buy a new driver

Taylormade 2016 M2 HZRDUS Smoke Green 6.5

Callaway X Forged UI 18deg Xstiff

Titleist 718 AP1 4-PW, 48 deg D200 Stiff 2 Deg Upright

Callaway Mack Daddy 4 52,56,60

Scotty Cameron Newport 2 2017

I see the original post mentioned the Tommy Armour 845 Silver Scot irons. I had the Tommy Armour 855s Silver Scot irons - slightly bigger and little more offset but very similar to the 845 line. They were nice irons - from an appearance standpoint.

However, I respectfully disagree with the original post about the titanium irons that were subsequently introduced by Tommy Armour. I personally found them unappealing from an aesthetic perspective and I believe the Tommy Armour clubs went downhill after that release.

As for the question posed, I'm not sure the context of the "best clubs of all time". Is it with respect to its appearance or its breakthrough technology?

Driver - TaylorMade Stealth 2 - 9°

Fairway - TaylorMade Stealth 2 3HL - 16.5°

Hybrid - Titleist TSR2 - 18°

Irons - Mizuno Pro 225 (4i through PW)

Wedges - Titleist Vokey SM9 (50° 08F, 56° 08M, 60° 08M)

Putter - Scotty Cameron Newport Studio Select 2.7 

Ball - Titleist ProV1x

Bag - Titleist Players 4 StaDry