Do you score better on a nicer course?

Our Sponsors

There's a certain charm to playing a real goat track, but you have to have the right attitude.  You can't care how you score.  Either you roll your ball around to find some grass, or you laugh at the fact that you're in the middle of the fairway and are stuck between two clumps of grass.

There's a little 9 holer near my house that's part of a go-kart/batting cage/putt-putt complex, and it's on a great piece of land (there's a reason it's called Windy Hill and not Windy Flat), but there's frequently no grass in the fairways, and it's so overgrown with trees that you'll get claustrophobic.  But it's cheap, it's fun, and you can play in a t-shirt and sneakers and not feel out of place.  Golf needs more of that.

Oh, and it has a lighted par 3 course.  Gotta love a lighted par 3 course.

• Like 3

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (16*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
2 Iron - :mizuno-small: FliHi (18*) - Recoil 760 ( S )
4i - GW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
SW - LW - :cobra-small: F8 - N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour105 ( S )
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Black)
Ball -  :srixon-small: Z-Star XV
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

13 hours ago, Jackal said:

we play an older course that was converted from a cow pasture, to a golf course.

The layout isn't hard, but the natural stuff is.

Lack of grass, rocks everywhere, just neglect.

A few years ago my Son joined the school team, and has been playing at nicer courses.

He can shoot +\- 2 on a lot of the good courses.

On this old course he can usually shoot 3 or 4 under per 9 holes.

Sometimes, he'll go +5, and it's because of the ( trouble???).

Large rocks close to the green, big spots of hard dirt with no grass.

I thought I hit a sprinkler head the other day on a pitch shot.

After going up to the spot, it was some kind of metal linkage that had fallen off of a mower.

Some of the people drive right up to the greens, and others drag their feet so bad that you can't even putt.

Another course is opening back up, and we are going to join it.

We have started to treat this old course as a 'walking driving range'.

We wondered what kind of scores a pro would shoot here.

It's had to say.

If they hit a nice shot on the green, and then got up there and their ball was embedded in a dead rabbit or something that would change it.

There is always new stuff everyday.

Just wondered if y'all score better on a nicer course ( other than speed of greens)

This question can be interpreted many ways. The way you posted it, with your examples, a nicer course would be more consistent. 

However, when I find myself on a nice course then I actually have more trouble judging the speed of the greens. My normal courses run an 8-9 on the Stimp. But, a "nicer" course can run 10-11 normally, and even faster at times. This leaves me with more three putts than I would like. 

I do not like playing courses that are poorly kept, like what you originally mentioned. I wouldn't want to change clubs to avoid areas that should be marked as ground under repair but isn't. So, if I find myself on a poorly maintained courses, we play it as any bare spot is like a ground under repair or lift clean and place. Everyone gets the same advantage during our friendly rounds. We don't like to penalize people for bad maintenance. 

• Like 2

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

I guess I should have been more clear about the conditions.
Some of those nice courses, are all target golf.
You have to hit yardages exact, or lose a ball.
We heard some people say they wouldn't play these 'bad' courses because of fear of damaging their clubs.
 If it looks bad, we drop back with a ground under repair.
I'll try to get some pics in a few days.
Some areas look like a parking lot for an outdoor concert.
Ooof, that's a real goat farm then. I would agree that it could be tough to score on a course that is completely neglected like that.

Take Dead Aim

• Like 2

Score better? Not sure. Enjoy my round more? Definitely!!!! The public course where I play is in the worst shape it’s been in the 21 years I’ve lived here. Just horrible. I don’t enjoy the rounds there anymore, and I just don’t bother to really concentrate on score because of how bad the conditions are. When I travel for work, I take my clubs with me, and I look for the best courses in the area to play at the end of each day. I’ve learned I really enjoy playing on grass in the fairway! I enjoy greens that ALSO have grass on them, and roll true!!! I enjoy traps that have sand in them and have been manicured since the last Ice Age!!! My scores my not be “better”, but I enjoy the rounds a LOT more when the conditions are better.

• Like 4

Driver: :honma: TR20 460, :Fuji: Ventus Black 70X

Fwy: :titelist-small: TS3, 15*, Veylix Rome 888 X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, :Fuji: Rombax 8D07HB TM27 X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4/5, Tour V 6-10, Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Platinum M5 HT Mallet, 36"

16 minutes ago, PMookie said:

Score better? Not sure. Enjoy my round more? Definitely!!!! The public course where I play is in the worst shape it’s been in the 21 years I’ve lived here. Just horrible. I don’t enjoy the rounds there anymore, and I just don’t bother to really concentrate on score because of how bad the conditions are. When I travel for work, I take my clubs with me, and I look for the best courses in the area to play at the end of each day. I’ve learned I really enjoy playing on grass in the fairway! I enjoy greens that ALSO have grass on them, and roll true!!! I enjoy traps that have sand in them and have been manicured since the last Ice Age!!! My scores my not be “better”, but I enjoy the rounds a LOT more when the conditions are better.

You’re doing it right. Club and work trips....goals....

• Like 2

Follow my overall Vegan transition here

Check out my reviews

:ping-small: G710 Irons Lacassem official review

:taylormade-small: FlexTech is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:titelist-small: TS2 9.5 - Project X HZRDUS Smoke VS Project X HZRDUS Green 

:taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green 

:adams-small: 2H VST - Super Idea S Matrix Kujoh S-Flex

:taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ 

:titelist-small: 52, 56, 60 SM7 - Nippon Modus 125

:odyssey-small: O-Works 1W

:titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Bushnell Tour V3 Jolt

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

The public courses around me are becoming neglected, i.e. long fairway grass, dirt tee boxes that are uneven, stones and dirt in sand bunkers, pitted greens, etc.  With all of that, add 5-10 strokes on the card.

• Sad 1

:titelist-small:  :vokey-small:  :cameron-small:  :footjoy-small:

2 minutes ago, Slater said:

The public courses around me are becoming neglected, i.e. long fairway grass, dirt tee boxes that are uneven, stones and dirt in sand bunkers, pitted greens, etc.  With all of that, add 5-10 strokes on the card.

This is what we are experiencing.

In our area we have had about 7 or 8 courses close in the last 4 years.

• Sad 1

Always chasing different clubs

I definitely play better on nicer courses.  I really don't want to play on a goat track anymore.  To me it's just a waste of time and money.  

• Like 1

TM M4  

EPIC 15*

Sub70 hybids

Titleist T200 5-GW 

Vokey SM8  54

Vokey SM8 58

PXG Operator H 

I think it goes to the fact that a better course is usually very well maintained, hence better tee boxes, fairways, roughs, traps and greens, so the ball becomes easier to hit and scores generally go down.

• Like 1

2020 Bag Boy Chiller Cart Bag Official tester

MGS Hard Rock Challenge

100 swings challenge

MGS Fantasy football league

Unofficial - Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme

Unofficial Review - Honma TR21 4 Wood by xOldBenKenobiX

Drivers :titelist-small:  - TS2 10.5*, :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme 10.5, UST helium 5

Woods :titelist-small: TS2 3HL. :honma:TR21 4 Wood, Vizard 20-60 shaft.

Hybrid   :titelist-small:  - T-MB 716 3 Iron, Hybrid   :titelist-small:  - T-MB 718 4 Iron, Irons:   :titelist-small:  - AP1 714 5 to PW, Wedges  

:vokey-small: SM4 48*, Oil Can 52*, SM5 56* and SM6 58*, Putter   :titelist-small: Deadcenter SP-209, Ball   :titelist-small:  ProV1, :Arccos: Smart Sensors

Shoes:a couple :footjoy-small: A couple of:nike-small: A couple of Adidas ,   Yeah I have a shoe addiction.

Right Handed, Southeast Michigan

Honk If you see these plates around. 

20200728_121856.jpg.9cf8a7d26ca1096e8d390a8c2f59b6c2.jpg

I'm always driving around Michigan. 

The Ohio and Pennsylvania's turnpike as well as around Baltimore, Maryland. 

Grip it and rip it my friends.