Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

SM7 vs. CBX2 for newer golfer

Curtis Atkinson

Just looking for a 58* to finish out the bag and deciding between SM7 58.12 w/ a D grind and CBX2 58.10. I'm looking for club that combines versatility and ease to hit (know those don't always go hand in hand) as I'm looking for a club mostly to learn to work with around the green. I've seen folks talk about the CBX2 being easy to hit and got to the 58.12 D through the wedge selector but figured it was worth asking if anyone has any experience. Side note: If anyone has used the jet black vokey wedges, does the finish wear off pretty quickly or hang on. Love the look but don't want it showing crazy amounts of wear right after getting it. 

Driver: default_titelist-small.jpg.af6c79e031d0a7016fffa91ce0212512.jpg TSi2 9.0* w/ Tensei blue stiff shaft // 3 Wood: default_titelist-small.jpg.af6c79e031d0a7016fffa91ce0212512.jpg TSi3 15* Tensei white stiff shaft

Hybrid: default_taylormade-small.jpg.e85cafcb95032f919dfafeb5fd18ac1e.jpg GAPR Hi 3h

Irons: default_titelist-small.jpg.af6c79e031d0a7016fffa91ce0212512.jpg T300 4-PW + 48* & 53*w/ KBS tour stiff

Wedge: default_cleveland-small.jpg.5931429dde47ec5093bb94bc9d38f8b5.jpg CBX2 58*10

Putter: KS1

Ball: Srixon Z-star // Bag: default_ping-small.jpg.2da16be6ff3360b3177f4439c6c6288b.jpg DLX

I bought a CBX 52* gap wedge two summers ago and really enjoyed how easy it was to hit. The soles on the CBX line are extremely versatile and will give you 98% of the versality of a Vokey (depending on the grind). I would highly recommend the CBX if you want a little additional confidence around the greens and especially on full swings. The additional sole width and the v-sole design really do help with getting through turf and will likely make bunker shots much easier. The Vokeys are also a fine choice and certainly may look nicer but they will not offer the same level of forgiveness depending on the sole grind and bounce. 

Overall, there isn't really a wrong choice to be made here. I think the bigger question is maybe what shaft you really want. The SM7 shaft is going to be about 15 grams heavier at 130 grams. If you want a wedge that will feel closer to your irons, the CBX will behave more as an extension where the SM7 is likely to have a bit more heft. The ultimate answer is going to be get fit or at a minimum, feel both of them in a golf shop.

Can’t go wrong with a CBX 2. I absolutely love my 54*, it’s the only wedge I’ve had so far that I can hit full and 3/4 shots with full confidence. Great for touch shots as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

It's all a matter of what fits you and feels good for touch shots.  For a newer golfer the CBX2 with the extra sole width and V-sole will likely be a better choice from tough lies and bunkers.  The wedge is a very personal club, second to the putter on how feel can affect the shot, IMHO.  Yes, you can buy a stock wedge and learn how to use it, but if you get the wedge fitted with correct loft, lie, and length as well as shaft weight and flex, it will make a difference in your short game.  If your use is primarily around the green and not full shots, then a little flatter lie angle is beneficial.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Can’t go wrong with either but all depends on you. The cbx is designed for a steeper swing to counteract that turf interaction. While different grinds can help with this all depends on what you’re looking for!

good luck!

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

Really appreciate the feedback. I feel like I've seen a ton about the CBX2 and how easy it is to hit with confidence. As a newer golfer, anything inside of 100 yards is absolute no mans land for me having not had a ton of practice on feel with different clubs. Having something that would allow full swing from around that distance (carry my 53* wedge around 100 at the moment) and versatility to work with touch around the green would be incredible. And I'll reach out to the guy who did my iron fitting about best fit for wedge. Irons were +1" and 3* upright but I've read some stuff about wedges needing to be flatter lie.

Side note: I've really appreciated all the kind help from this community. Just seems to stand out in terms of giving help/advice to folks who need it vs some other spots I've seen where maybe questions are looked down on. 

Driver: default_titelist-small.jpg.af6c79e031d0a7016fffa91ce0212512.jpg TSi2 9.0* w/ Tensei blue stiff shaft // 3 Wood: default_titelist-small.jpg.af6c79e031d0a7016fffa91ce0212512.jpg TSi3 15* Tensei white stiff shaft

Hybrid: default_taylormade-small.jpg.e85cafcb95032f919dfafeb5fd18ac1e.jpg GAPR Hi 3h

Irons: default_titelist-small.jpg.af6c79e031d0a7016fffa91ce0212512.jpg T300 4-PW + 48* & 53*w/ KBS tour stiff

Wedge: default_cleveland-small.jpg.5931429dde47ec5093bb94bc9d38f8b5.jpg CBX2 58*10

Ball: Srixon Z-star // Bag: default_ping-small.jpg.2da16be6ff3360b3177f4439c6c6288b.jpg DLX

On 1/30/2021 at 9:55 AM, Curtis Atkinson said:

Really appreciate the feedback. I feel like I've seen a ton about the CBX2 and how easy it is to hit with confidence. As a newer golfer, anything inside of 100 yards is absolute no mans land for me having not had a ton of practice on feel with different clubs. Having something that would allow full swing from around that distance (carry my 53* wedge around 100 at the moment) and versatility to work with touch around the green would be incredible. And I'll reach out to the guy who did my iron fitting about best fit for wedge. Irons were +1" and 3* upright but I've read some stuff about wedges needing to be flatter lie.

Side note: I've really appreciated all the kind help from this community. Just seems to stand out in terms of giving help/advice to folks who need it vs some other spots I've seen where maybe questions are looked down on. 

If you're looking for forgiveness inside 100 yards the CBX is probably the best choice. Compared to a normal wedge, the CBX allows you to relax as the sole grind really offers a ton of forgiveness regarding turf interaction. I would still be using my CBX if it wasn't for having a gap wedge in my current iron set that I like. I think an important thing to remember with the CBX wedge is that there really isn't any shot that you can't play with it compared to a Vokey. The most important thing is getting fit. It may cost you an extra $40 - $50 to get the CBX reshafted if necessary but it's worth it if you don't like the stock shaft. It's likely the stock Dynamic Gold 115 wedge shaft (115 grams) in the CBX will be too light compared to the T300 with the KBS Tour (120 grams) in your new set. That doesn't really matter though if you go to your fitter as they will take care of the details. I think if golfers were forced to buy wedges strictly based on real-world performance, the CBX may be the top wedge in the whole market. With a CBX wedge you can confidently chuckle when you watch your friends chunking their new non-fitted Vokeys on their 50 yard approach shots. 

1 minute ago, Kansas King said:

If you're looking for forgiveness inside 100 yards the CBX is probably the best choice. Compared to a normal wedge, the CBX allows you to relax as the sole grind really offers a ton of forgiveness regarding turf interaction. I would still be using my CBX if it wasn't for having a gap wedge in my current iron set that I like. I think an important thing to remember with the CBX wedge is that there really isn't any shot that you can't play with it compared to a Vokey. The most important thing is getting fit. It may cost you an extra $40 - $50 to get the CBX reshafted if necessary but it's worth it if you don't like the stock shaft. It's likely the stock Dynamic Gold 115 wedge shaft (115 grams) in the CBX will be too light compared to the T300 with the KBS Tour (120 grams) in your new set. That doesn't really matter though if you go to your fitter as they will take care of the details. I think if golfers were forced to buy wedges strictly based on real-world performance, the CBX may be the top wedge in the whole market. With a CBX wedge you can confidently chuckle when you watch your friends chunking their new non-fitted Vokeys on their 50 yard approach shots. 

Man, this is really useful, thank you! I'm definitely leaning towards the CBX. I've seen a couple spots online where I could customize the specs on a CBX2. Do you think I would be good matching the same shaft, length, lie angle with that as the rest of the bag or it would need something different? I know nothing when it comes to the specifics on shafts with wedges especially. 

1 minute ago, Curtis Atkinson said:

Man, this is really useful, thank you! I'm definitely leaning towards the CBX. I've seen a couple spots online where I could customize the specs on a CBX2. Do you think I would be good matching the same shaft, length, lie angle with that as the rest of the bag or it would need something different? I know nothing when it comes to the specifics on shafts with wedges especially. 

I would make sure to talk to your fitter regarding the specs. I tend to gush about the CBX and other more forgiving wedge designs but that doesn't mean every normal wedge/Vokey is bad. The right grind/bounce combination can yield a relatively playable wedge also but I think it's harder to get a good fit. I personally play the PM grind wedges for my 56* and my 60* and I think they are rather forgiving but I also spent over an hour a day for over four years on a practice green when I was in high school truly learning how to use a wedge. Most people can't commit that much time to practicing with a wedge and in my experience most (at least 95%) people don't understand how to actually use the bounce of a wedge or even know what that is and that's perfectly okay. That is where the CBX and other wide-soled wedges help, a lot. The wider soles and especially V-shaped soles really forgive a lot of sins regarding turf interaction. 

This is my general advice (opinion) and you can take it or leave it. I find that if you can get some forgiveness in your clubs where you think it may help, take it. Some people claim that playing with your grandparent's unforgiving butter knives from the 1970's will make you a better golfer, but in reality I don't think it works that way. Playing with less forgiving clubs removes confidence and does not allow you to swing as freely. If you want to help your game, take lessons from a teaching pro. 

I would also throw in the callaway sureout 2.  Its got a massive sole so for beginners as long as ypu trust it and swing through, the ball will just pop right up.  I used to have both 56 sand and 60 lob in sureout2.  Since I have started using set matching wedges.  But I still use surr out 2 for short lobs or full swing 50-70 yard shots. 

About a month ago I sold my rogue irons before.my mavriks came in.  I played two rounds with 1,3and 5w, an old short 6i, and my lob wedge. 

It was kind fun trying to hit lob wedge from 120out.  It was interesting to see what kind of shots you can create with limited irons. 

Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero 9.0 driver, aldila rogue white 130msi 70x

Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero 3w and 5w

Aldila rogue white 130 msi 70s

Callaway Mavrik 7w

aldila rogue white 130msi 70S

Mizuno JPX-919 hot metal 

5-lw, tt tour new concept x1 shafts

Odessey triple track 7 putter.

An out of left field recommendation, but a great learning wedge for beginners is a tour edge TGS 58 degree. Similar to the idea of "get a cheap old blade to work on your striking" this recommendation is along the lines of get a cheap classic-design wedge to work on your wedge play.

Get the cbx2 or sm7 as well for your actual play and applying what you learn, but the TGS is an old model you can find new for 35 bucks and beat to death as you practice and learn. And at 35 bucks, you're not as concerned about wearing it out as you get your technique down. 

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

Cleveland Halo Launcher 3 hybrid.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons (5-PW). 

Assorted wedges (48, 52, 58).

Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 putter.

• 2 weeks later...

PING glide wedges are also CB, I bought the 2.0 used in 9.0/10 condition so the grooves were still fresh. The SS grind is a great all around wedges that works in the sand or around the green. A bit smaller profile and thinner than a CBX2, probably better suited to a shallower attack angle. Previously I played the Cleveland RTX CB 2.0, the biggest difference compared to vokeys is you won't lose as much distance on shots high in the face which can have a big impact out of the rough from 30-80 yards. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

I have 2 vokey wedges in jet black: a buddy of mine bought some last year and they look kind of oil can now. Not jet black anymore, but still attractive. The faces didn’t wear into some weird off white either. Mine have been in the bag for 2 rounds so they’re too new to say.

Both wedge sets are great, I think the trade off is versatility vs forgiveness. If you make a lot of full swings with your wedges I’d lean towards the CBX2, but if you’re hitting little touchy pitches and chips I’d want the vokey.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV