Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

sub 70 639cb OR New level 902 ?

Hi there, 

I been reading a lot about Sub 70 and new level products and I have to say that I am decided to buy some of their products. I finally found golf companies which marketing positioning (and pricing) makes sense to me.

I am going to buy the fairway woods from Sub 70 ( a 3 and a 5 wood) but I am still wondering about the iron set. The options I am considering are the New level 902 and the 639CB.

Someone would be able to tell me which one of the two set is set is the most forgiving or "easy" to play? I am mostly concerned about the head size, I would not want them to be too small. I am currently playing a old serie of Titlesit "DCI 981" and would like something with a bit more forgiveness.

Thanks 😀

Hi Nicolas, I'm a proud owner of the 639CB's. From my experience they are in the slightly forgiving category. They will help with minor misses but big misses will still be penalized. Because of this, I'm also able to fade and draw the ball with these. With most of the major forgiving irons I've tried you are stuck with a draw ball flight. The other thing that I liked about them is the club is relatively compact. They are about the same size as my old Mizuno MP-18's. I really liked that but not all do. The best part of these irons though is the feel. When you hit one pure, you know it! I've been very happy with these irons. I originally bought them because they were 3 degrees stronger than the Mizuno's and my old man muscles don't work so well in the dead of winter and I needed some help. I was going to switch back to the Mizuno's in the summer but I've enjoyed the 639CB's so much they are still in the bag.

I don't have any input on the 639's, but my son has the 902 Forged.  The 902's are solidly in the players-cavity back category in my opinion.  Much smaller and with less offset than my son's previous 2 sets - Apex 19's and PXG 2019 0211's.  They are close to the perfect shape/sole width/offset/etc. for a CB to my eye though.  I don't necessarily like the looks of either set as the simpler the better to me.  The perfect looking CB to me was the Bridgestone J15CB.  However, I can't stand the fish scale milling on the 639's so the 902's look considerably better to me.  Your going to spend more on the 902's, but they did perform really well in both the 2019 and 2020 MGS most wanted testing.  

Ogio Woode 8 Hybrid Stand Bag
PXG 0811 X Gen4 @ 6* - Fujikura Motore X F3 7X
PXG 0211 @ 13.5* - Fujikura Motore X F1 8X
PXG 0311 XP Gen3 3i-PW - PX LZ 6.5
PXG 0311 Forged 54/60 - PX LZ 6.5
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

Have you considered the Ben Hogan iron line, good write up from my golf spy, I play the equalizer wedges and the UIHI driving iron for 3 seasons and enjoy the quality and performance. When I'm in the market for a full iron set again the combo set from Hogan well be considered for sure. Similar business model to the others you mentioned, they also do a demo program that I recommend.

Take a look at the PXG 0211STs that came out this year.  Pure forged look and feel great.  Price is not what you think. Be prepared to be shocked.  I just  purchased just 7,8,9 a few weeks ago because pricing was so low and wanted to see how they behaved in the scoring clubs (I have a Miz. T20 bent to my PW specs).  Check them out...  they felt, look and performed much better for the $$.  PXG is changing its business model for the better I think.   (I did demo the Sub70 639 CB and MB last year and liked them quite a bit but picked up the 6,7,8,9 i in the 699PRO which had more forgiveness and distance  -- I think you know that Sub70 has a demo program that you should really try first. )  The 0211 ST Forged is clean looking... no screws or weights but you need to be a ball striker but not at the MP-20 level 🙂  in my opinion to get good performance!!  

Edited by Johnny D

PingDriver: G430 Max
Ping: 5W, 7W, 9W / 4H
Irons: 6,7,8,9 Mizuno Pro 225 / PXG 0311P Gen6
Wedges: Mizuno T20 43 PW,  T22/S23 50/54/58
Putter: Newport2, PXG Closer

1 hour ago, Johnny D said:

Take a look at the PXG 0211STs that came out this year.  Pure forged look and feel great.  Price is not what you think. Be prepared to be shocked.  I just  purchased just 7,8,9 a few weeks ago because pricing was so low and wanted to see how they behaved in the scoring clubs (I have a Miz. T20 bent to my PW specs).  Check them out...  they felt, look and performed much better for the $$.  PXG is changing its business model for the better I think.   (I did demo the Sub70 639 CB and MB last year and liked them quite a bit but picked up the 6,7,8,9 i in the 699PRO which had more forgiveness and distance  -- I think you know that Sub70 has a demo program that you should really try first. )  The 0211 ST Forged is clean looking... no screws or weights but you need to be a ball striker but not at the MP-20 level 🙂  in my opinion to get good performance!!  

He said easier to hit. The ST’s are still a blade regardless of the forgiveness and features PXG advertises. I’m a PXG fan and would recommend the ‘P’ series irons as more comparable to the 639’s/902’s. 

Ogio Woode 8 Hybrid Stand Bag
PXG 0811 X Gen4 @ 6* - Fujikura Motore X F3 7X
PXG 0211 @ 13.5* - Fujikura Motore X F1 8X
PXG 0311 XP Gen3 3i-PW - PX LZ 6.5
PXG 0311 Forged 54/60 - PX LZ 6.5
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

Hi ! 

Thanks @crw for the input, you are right. I do prefer also the 902 to the 639CB exactly for what you mentioned. I did not know the that Bridgestone model… It is very appealing, as you said simple but sharp.

@18birdies, I am sure you are right, the 639CB must be and excellent set. In the end, I believe I would be happy with any of those(639CB or 902). Being a decent ball striker nonetheless the vision of a “small head” makes me uncomfortable.

If was leaving in the US, no doubt I would try both demo program but unluckily my job sends me to places every year and never had the opportunity to come to the United states!

I am sure someone on the forum has both sets in their garage and could tell me which one has the “biggest head” or which on is the “easiest” to play.😃 

I have been looking extensively on the forum but still haven’t find my answer. I know both owner of New Level and Sub 70 are very reachable but I don’t feel I could ask them the question. 😅😅

Edited by Nicolasdu84

1 hour ago, Nicolasdu84 said:

I am sure someone on the forum has both sets in their garage and could tell me which one has the “biggest head” or which on is the “easiest” to play.😃 

Probably going to be hard to find someone with both of these sets.  They were part of prior years most wanted testing so I can’t do a side by side comparison for you since they won’t have them at the testing facility any more.  You can look at the data from 2019 and 2020 most wanted data to get some performance comparisons.  As far as size, most everything you find in the players category will be roughly the same size.  If size is a concern, you probably don’t want to be lookin at players type irons and may want something in the GI category.  But if it comes down to those two irons the new level might be the better option based on most wanted results 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG