• Yes
    • No
    • Sometimes, depends on the course
  2. 2. What club did it replace?

• 4 iron or another long iron
    • Driving Iron
    • Hybrid
    • 5 wood
  3. 3. Why do you enjoy playing a 7 wood if you do?

• Consistency
    • Height
    • Forgiveness
    • Distance
    • Other - post in thread
  4. 4. What is the biggest strength of your 7 wood compared to the club it replaced?

• Consistency
    • Forgiveness
    • Height/Spin
    • Distance
    • Other - post in thread

Not a 7, but a 6. Dug this out of my FIL's bag. It is a Callaway X-hot with an "A" flex, which is great for my slower swing speed. Used it a few times and swinging easy it sails out 150+ yards. May have to keep it in the bag...

Still haven't pulled the trigger on a 7-wood yet, but they are definitely on my radar. So I answered No, and other to come back and say, I want one 😁 I have been looking at the Takomo 7 Wood and the Tommy Armour 7w that my buddy has and loves. 

WITB

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Qi10 Max

Hybrid: 🐏 FX Max 5h

5i-9i: 🐏 FX Max 10

Wedges: :titleist-small: 48°, 52°, 56°

Putter:  :cleveland-small: HB Soft 14

Ball: :odin:

I used one for a while. It was easy to hit, but went so high it became incredibly unpredictable in windy conditions. I got rid of it and spent a bunch of range time with my 4-iron to get more comfortable with it. I have a bit less green-holding power now with the 4-iron compared to the 7-wood, but much better distance control.

Driver - :cobra-small:Radspeed XB at 7.5°, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
3 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
5 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Fujikura Motore X F3 6-S
Utility - :mizuno-small: Pro 225 3i, Mitsubishi MMT 105S

Irons - :mizuno-small:Pro 225 4-5, 223 6-PW, KBS $-Taper 120
Wedges - :cobra-small:King Cobra Snakebite 52° & 58°, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 S
Putter - :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Black Ten 35"
Ball - :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Powered by :Arccos:

2020 ExPutt Official Review | 2021 Cobra Connect Five Participant | 2023 SuperSpeed Official Review

This is interesting to me. I don't swing fast so a 4i is a tough club for me. I rely heavily on my 4H & 5i but there is a distance gap forsure!

Maybe a 7FW is they answer here?!

DRIVER PING.png G425 MAX w/ Mitsubishi Tensei Orange RAW 65 S 12*

*DRIVER TESTING CALLAWAY.png.02d1ed01b3f95aaceb59b33edf1d6f2d.png Paradym Ai SMOKE MAX D w/ Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 65 S 10.5*

WOOD TAYLORMADE.png.8ad786f4fccdf7215d321a861dfa1c7f.png STEALTH 2 Plus 3w w/ Mitsubishi Kali Red 75 S 15*

HYBRID PING.png G425 2h w/ Mitsubishi Tensei Orange RAW 75 S 17*

HYBRID PING.png G410 4h w/ Mitsubishi Tensei Orange 75 S 22*

IRONMIZUNO.png.2bd95ff6ee2eb76ff25e7f5057c68c47.png 919 Forged 4i-PW w/ Dynamic Gold 105 S300 

WEDGES PING.png Glide Forged Pro w/ ZZ115 W 50*/58*

PUTTER Cleveland.jpg FRONTLINE 8.0 w/ 35" Slant neck 3*

Posted (edited)

Currently have a Callaway Rogue ST Max 7-wood. I keep looking for what's around with x-stiff shaft, but haven't found the right deal yet. But there will continue to be a 7W in my bag going forward. TSR2 is high on my wish list.

I love the height and descent angle it gives me for the distance and it's just easier to hit out of the rough than both an iron and hybrid. I've tried a few different hybrids and my Stealth+ 3H is the only one I've tried that I can control either draw or fade consistently and not worry about the pull/hook popping in. I've tried a 4H Stealth 2+, but the 7W wins for flight profile.

To add, despite the 21* loft, it's not a hard club to de-loft and hit with a hybrid-like lower flight profile.

Edited by Indy_Oz

2024 WITB:

:ping-small: G430 LST 9* w. Mitsubishi Kai'Li White 60X

:titleist-small:TSR2 15* w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X

:taylormade-small:Stealth+ 3H (@18*) w. :projectx: Hzrdus Smoke RDX Red 80/6.5

:titleist-small:TSR2 21* 7-wood w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X

:taylormade-small: 5i-9i: '19 P790; P- '23 P7MC w. :kbs: Tour C-Taper Lite 115X

:taylormade-small: 50/09 MG3; 56/12 MG3TW

:vokey-small:SM9 60/04L

Putter- :odyssey-small: Toulon Design Memphis, 2019 model [Backup: Sik DW C 2.0]

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5x/ TP5xPix ;  :callaway-small: Chrome Tour [see ball test link below] (also testing :bridgestone-small: Tour BX Mindset)

Other: :Arccos:. Gogogo Sport V-Pro rangefinder. :taylormade-small: Select Plus stand bag. :BagBoy: Nitron push cart.

No 7 wood for me at this time. Just worked through any top of the bag gapping issues I had, and still use a 4 iron as longest iron with a high ball flight, and then a hybrid, and a couple fairways depending upon course I am playing.

Driver & Fairway: :titleist-small: Titleist TSR3 10 degree - :Fuji: Ventus TR Blue & :titleist-small: TSR3 15 - :projectx: Hzrdus Black Gen 4 

Hybrid: :titleist-small: TSR2 21 degree - :projectx: Hzrdus Black Gen 4

Irons: :titleist-small: Titleist T200 3G (4) & T150 - (5-G) - :projectx: Project X LZ 

Wedges: :vokey-small: Vokey SM8 54, and 58

Putter: :cameron-small: Cameron Phantom X 7.5

Ball: :titleist-small: Pro V1 & :maxfli: Maxfli Tour

Link to "Unboxing & Set-Up" post

I have a PXG 0311 XF Gen 6 7-wood with a stiff Hzrdus Smoke Black 60g shaft that I’ll put into play on a couple of courses where I want more height on shots in like the 215y range (there’s a hilly, tree lined course in my area where almost every par 3 is over 200y).  It usually kicks out my PXG 0317 Gen 4 22 degree 4-hybrid, or my TM Stealth 2 19.5 degree 3-Hybrid.  The 4-hybrid can get up in the air for me and land soft, but it costs me 10-15y of distance, and it’s the easiest to hit out of rough, sand, pine straw, etc - it’s my go to rescue club, and normally flighted carries around 200 y.  The TM 3-hybrid is my windy day hybrid - it’s like a bullet, but it can get flipped and grabbed in deep rough more than the PXG.  It’s good in ‘normal rough’, and in fairways or tight lies it will go 215 y, but it’s harder for me to work the ball with it.  The 7-wood is an awesome club for me on calm to light breeze days, or when I need to find a tight fairway and can flight it down a little - it can reach 225y if I draw it, but it’s terrible out of thick rough and too high lofted for punch outs.  But it is pretty easy to draw or fade, and if I need to get over something.

I'm starting to have gapping issues though (still early in the golf year), but I’ve been hitting my 5i around 202-205 y, and my 4i around 212-215, but I’ll go through periods where the 5i is more like 185-190 carry and the 4i 195-205. So why am I carrying redundant distance clubs?  The irons are way easier to hit with the shape or height I want, and I know how to take a little off each better than I can the woods - they either drop too much distance, I make weird contact bc I’m choking up or swinging lighter, or I get crazy spin numbers.  A work in progress

Dan Yates, 55 year old trying to qualify for PA Senior Amateur in 2024; searching for some magic in my game again

Posted (edited)

I have played a Callaway Epic Flash 7-wood, shafted with an Accra Tour Z LS 85-S shaft, for more than 5 years. The carbon fiber crown cracked on this club nearly 3 years ago, and I repaired the cracked crown using high impact epoxy about a month later; however, that repair started to fail last year and I switched to using a Sub 70 949-X adjustable 7-wood.

I have gotten decent, but less consistent, results from the Sub 70 fairway wood (shafted with a UST Mamiya ProForce Black 85-S shaft, which is as close I could find to the no longer available Accra shaft that is in my Epic Flash 7-wood). I can’t say that I am dissatisfied with the Sub 70 7-wood, but it’s just not nearly as consistent and predictable as the Callaway 7-wood has always been. Every so often, I search Callaway Preowned and ebay to see if there is an Epic Flash 7-wood available for sale. However, the few of them that I have seen have been in horrible condition, so I have stayed with what I have.

I’m getting a new Maltby KE4 TC Pro adjustable 7-wood head from Golfworks, which is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. Once I get it built up to my specifications, this 7-wood will get a thorough tryout and if it passes its audition this is likely to become my new gamer in the 7-wood slot.

Edited by funkyjudge

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

I am seriously considering a move away from the 4i to a 7w, at least for a while.  My 4 has been very inconsistent and I am getting killed in that distance bracket because of it.  On the list for testing, waiting for the next demo day(s), should be by early June....

B_LinksGolf "Any day golfing is better than a day in the office"

What's in the Bag:

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST 3diamond LS: Tensei raw blue 65g stiff

3w/5w: Callaway Rogue ST LS: Tensei raw blue 65g stiff

4i-6i: Callaway '24 Apex CB/Modus 3 130 X-stiff

7i-10i: Callaway '24 Apex MB/Modus 3 130 X-stiff

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw (matte black) 50ºs-grind/54ºs-grind/58ºz-grind

Putter: Callaway AI-one Jailbird mini DB 35"

I game both a Heavenwood and a 9 wood. I can strike my mid irons through wedges well, but a 4 and 5 iron are my biggest weakness. In order to combat that,I added a Callaway Epic Flash Heavenwood. It’s a few years old, but it is one of my favorite clubs to hit. I can launch the ball much higher with the HW, generate much more spin than my 4i and it’s ok out of the rough too. After loving the HW so much, I added a Callaway Paradym 9 wood to replace my 5i. Its a solid club, but I prefer the Epic Flash over it. The 9W has its uses, but I feel like I don’t generate the spin that I do with the HW for whatever reason. I can take or leave the 9W, but a Heavenwood will be in my bag until I kick the bucket. 

My current golf course has three of the four Par 3's at 190-210 yds. to elevated greens and if the wind is up, the shots are tough.

I had to get a club that would go 200 yds and stop pretty dead, and after much testing, the PING G430 #7 wood got the job.

In my life, I have never had a club so dependable for me.

It is so good, I am thinking about getting a PING G430 10K driver, #3 wood and 25* hybrid.

After retiring from the PGA of America, I did some demo days and club fitting for TaylorMade, Callaway, Titleist, Ping, Cobra, Srixon and Mizuno.

Tried to select no to the first question but all the other questions are required and relate to having a 7 wood so cannot really answer them honestly. Not sure how the 25% who have answered no so far were able to answer the rest of the questions and submit their responses.

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Max LS

3 Wood: :PXG: Gen 5 0311XF 

Hybrid: :PXG: Gen 5 0311 XF 22 degree

Irons: :PXG: 2022 XCOR2 0211 5-GW

Wedges: :taylormade-small: R Series 54° & 60°

Putter: :odyssey-small:

2023 Test: ⌚Garmin Approach S70 47mm

Would love to use a 7 wood, but haven’t had a need for it yet with the distance I get off the tee. Love my 5 wood though, and have been debating about going the hybrid route. Dang it, now I have to go to the pga superstore and hit 7 woods…. 😂

Former Long driver ‘02-‘04(Remax) turned Veterinarian, using the same ping eye-3’s for the last 20yrs because I have my distances dialed in. 

I feel more confident over hydrid shots than wood shots so I went with a G425 Ping Hydrid 2 and it's probably my favorite club in the bag. When I have a second shot on a Par5 or tight fairways, I use it instead of my 3-wood or my 4 iron. Gives me about 215 carry, which would be my 4-iron distance. I suggest people who love hydrid to give it a test for sure. 

Driver : TaylorMade SIM 10.5 Degree, Stiff Shaft

Iron : Mizuno JPX HM

Wedges : Mizuno T20

Putter : Kirkland 

I don’t play one, so can’t really answer the survey as it says all questions are required.

I have seen them more frequently…it was strange to me to see someone pull a wood and watch it go so high.

But if it works for you, go for it!

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Stealth 3 wood

Titleist U510 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

I started to fill this out but I haven’t actually gamed the Qi10 7 wood I just bought yet.  I’ll let you all know!

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

I love my 7 wood , I took out my 4 Iron last year , mainly because I wasn’t very efficient with it off of the fairway anymore . 
 Just yesterday, at my weekly  Wednesday senior shootout , I had used it twice on the par 5s. The first hole I had 215 , into a small breeze to a front pin . I chased it to the front of the green for an easy two putt bird. 
On hole #12 , I had 225 to a back pin off a slightly draw lie and hit it pin high to the left for a chip ( which I almost holed out ) and a kick in birdie . 
 I too , hit fairway woods a lot better than any of the leading hybrids . I carry the Stealth 2 HL(16.5*) and 7 wood (21*) and could not be happier . My stock yardages are 240 and 220 respectively. I hope this helps someone with trying out the 7 wood as a viable option . There are even a few pros that are playing with 7 woods , even 9 woods . 

Taylormade  Stealth 2  10.5*   Fujikura Ventus 5 S (tipped an inch)  @ upright @9.75*

Taylormade Stealth 2    HL 16.5* 3 wood Fujikura Ventus     6 S 

Taylormade Stealth 2   7 wood   Fujikura Ventus   7 S

Taylormade P7MC  5-PW  Aerotech Steelfiber  I 95 gm  R 

Tileist SM09 54 & 60* wedges

Ping Anser    

Bridgestone BXS         

I had a 7 wood for a while. I didn’t hit it as far as my 3 hybrid. I also had a 9 wood. I was underwhelmed with both of these clubs. I tried various shafts, but the spin very high and shorter than I wanted. 

The true issue, I found out later, was that my Ping i525’s are Power Spec. I didn’t know they were at first, but the 9 wood as was shorter than the 5i and the 7 wood was just slightly longer. Also my 4H and 3H didn’t exactly thrill me either. 

I got the TPT shafts for the Driver, 3 wood, and 3 hybrid. These are great but the G425 3 hybrid even turned up was just 20.5°. This still launched a bit low. During my fitting it was suggested that if I wanted a higher launch to change to the 22° head. (4H) He suggested the settings and that I swap the standard 12g weight to the 6g. I’m currently loving this set up. But this opened a space in the bag. 

I already knew that the 7 wood would not go considerably further, if any than this hybrid, so I went to my secret stash of old clubs and found this Mizuno ST190 5 wood. Off the deck this goes farther than the 3 wood and is easier to hit. Certainly, the 3 wood has the potential to go farther, but in practice they are about the same and the 5 wood is easier to hit. Not the case with a tee. 

:callaway-small: Paradym 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430 MAX 3W  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:taylormade-small: SIM2 Rescue 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small: GAPR Mid 4 on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:taylormade-small: P790 Black 5-G on :kbs: TGI 80S 

:mizuno-small: ES21 54° & 58° on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

2 years ago I found a Titleist 917 F2 7 wood for 60$ and LOVED IT! it replaced at the time my 5 and 6 iron and even my driver some rounds lol. Now I have a driver and 3 wood in the bag, but I might throw a newer 7 wood in just because how fun, confident, AND consistent it was for me.!

Very interested in trying one just not sure what it would replace. I have a 21 degree Sub70 driving iron I’m really liking that I added a couple months ago to replace my 4H as I’ve become a better player. 
I have a 19 degree PXG Gen5 hybrid that is perfect when I hit it well but that’s honestly 50/50. I’m considering a 7 or 5 as a replacement. Don’t need distance too bad so leaning towards a 7 wood but would need to asses gapping. Hybrid is my 255 club and driving iron is 235-240. 

Tester Opportunities

2024 Ping S159 Wedges

2023 Zebra AIT3 Putter

The Bag

Driver - :callaway-logo-1: Paradym Ai Smoke MAX Driver with Project X Denali - 6.5

3W - :callaway-logo-1: Paradym 15° with Kai'li™ White - X

3H - :PXG: Gen5 0311 19° with Ventus Blue Velocore - X

Driving Iron - image.png.e20decc564f669047d8ef7d2dbd4734d.png 699 Pro 20° with UST PROFORCE V2 Hybrid White/Yellow - X

Irons - :Sub70: 6-PW 699 Pro in black with Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges - :ping-small: S159 50, 54, 58 Dynamic Gold X100 (TESTER)

Putter - :cobra-small:KING 3D Printed Agera Armlock Putter , 🦓 Zebra AIT 3 (On time out)

Ball - :srixon-small: Z-Star XV or :vice: Pro Plus

Tester for 

2024 Ping S159 Wedges

2023 Zebra AIT3 Putter

I actually discovered the Heavenwood, about 10-15 years ago…in my 30s…and immediately replaced my 3i…it made that much of a difference. I’ve been using a 7 wood ever since.

I now game a Sub70 7 wood followed up by a Sub70 699 Pro (V2) Utility 5i (23*).

Both clubs are money. I highly recommend demoing the Sub70 Utility clubs, as well.

Driver - Sub 70 849D - Fujikura Pro 62 Tour Spec

4 Wood - Sub 70 949X - Sub 70 Project X

7 Wood - Sub 70 949X - Sub 70 Project X

5 iron - Sub 70 699 Pro U V2 23*

6-AW - Sub 70 699 Pro V2

SW - Sub 70 TAIII 2023 Limited Edition Forged 54*

LW - Sub 70 TAIII 2023 Limited  Forged 58*

Putter - PXG Bat Attack

Posted (edited)

MIne is an Adam's 7w, I cut down the shaft 1" and it is very consistent for 140-150 yard shots. It replaces my 6i and 7i

Edited by Rob Person

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

22 minutes ago, Rob Person said:

MIne is an Adam's 7w, I cut down the shaft 1" and it is very consistent for 140-150 yard shots. It replaces my 6i and 7i

Rob, why did you cut the 1” off shaft. Control or distance?

Thanks

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

44 minutes ago, Rickp said:

Rob, why did you cut the 1” off shaft. Control or distance?

Thanks

Control.  I had a bad right side miss at stock length. Choking down didn't help Control it, as i felt thrle grip impact across my wrists 

I had a new grip installed with extra tape to give it the same feel in my hands

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

I answered Yes, but I actually hit a 9 wood. Better chance of holding the green over my 4 iron and much easier to hit, especially from the rough. Ping G425 driver and 3 wood LST, 5 and 9 wood, I love them.

Never thought I would get here and now that I am,  I am not going back. 7 wood is one of my favorite clubs in bag. Delivers great height for stopping on long par three's or par four and 5 approach shots. Highly recommend. 

I've always struggled hitting hybrids, they were the one club that would always go hard left on me. I think it's more of a mental thing, but I just couldn't shake it. When I did a long game fitting, they recommended a 7w between my 3w and 4i, and said if it didn't work for me then they'd swap it for something else. Well, I loved it and still do! Mine is a Callaway Paradym X

For some reason, I have never been able to hit hybrids. When I got fit for new irons the fitter had me hit a 3 or 4 hybrid and it was a mess. Then he had me hit a 4 iron...also not great. The 7 wood had the same flight as the 7 iron but went around 215. On another note, I once played with an older gentleman in Myrtle Beach who had zero longer irons, only wedges, he had a 1, 3, 5, 7, 9 and a 12 wood. It was fun watching him hit a 12 wood like an 8 iron!