Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

The Memorial - 2022

fixyurdivot

7 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

I'll join you.  I want to see test data that shows Sharpie marks do not alter ball flight and white-out marks do.  Also, what about other mfg.'s of marking ink and white-out?  Foreign substance is foreign substance. I mean if they want to split atoms, fire up that accelerator and let's do some splitting.

In the video that Middler posted (which gives a good summary of what they looked at) it was largely about how much it was above the surface of the club.   Sharpie or similar markers would not be felt if you ran your finger over the clubface.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

2 minutes ago, cnosil said:

In the video that Middler posted (which gives a good summary of what they looked at) it was largely about how much it was above the surface of the club.   Sharpie or similar markers would not be felt if you ran your finger over the clubface.  

Data, empirical data... otherwise it's all poppy-cock and conjecture.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

36 minutes ago, Shankster said:

My question is, had Hideki cleaned it off with a “foreign substance” and didn’t wipe off the residue… was he breaking the rules? Like dish soap residue.

Probably not as it probably wouldn't break the impact areas roughness rule for equipment;  which sharpie doesn't break either;  but thick whiteout does.

For reference https://www.usga.org/content/dam/usga/pdf/Equipment/Equipment Rules Final.pdf

Impact Area Roughness When dealing with the surface roughness of a club face (not including putters, see Section 5f), the claims made by the manufacturer must be taken into account – especially if there is a claim that the roughness of the face influences the movement of the ball. In the absence of such claims, the ruling is made purely on the amount of roughness there is. Sandblasting or other treatments of roughness greater than 180 micro inches (4.5 µmetre) are not permitted. In addition to this requirement for roughness, milling is not permitted if the crest to trough depth exceeds 0.001 inches (0.025 mm). A reasonable tolerance is allowed for both of the above measurements. Non-conforming sandblasting or milling usually feels rough to the touch.

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

50 minutes ago, Shankster said:

My question is, had Hideki cleaned it off with a “foreign substance” and didn’t wipe off the residue… was he breaking the rules? Like dish soap residue.

Adding to what I posted,  since the intent was to "clean" it is permissible per the equipment rules

• By applying any substance to the clubhead (other than in cleaning it) to affect how it performs in making a stroke.

The most important question to ask when ruling on a club which has had something temporarily applied to the face by a player is “why has it been put there?” If a material or substance has been applied to the face in order to protect it or clean it, then it would probably be permitted provided all other Rules are satisfied

9 hours ago, cnosil said:

Yes,  it doesn’t answer my question about who,alerted the committee.  The article I linked indicated they would not say who contacted them.  I interpreted the post I quoted as it was the photographer that notified the tour and knew it was illegal prior to the start of the event.  Pretty sure it wasn’t him as the WRX photographer generally leaves prior to the start of the event.   

It was Alan Shipnuck.......

Edited by GaDawg

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Some of the rough looks really thick and deep... lots of balls just disappear.  Sharp, grass cutting leading edges would seem the popular choice.  Setting up to be fun weekend.

10 hours ago, cnosil said:

Adding to what I posted,  since the intent was to "clean" it is permissible per the equipment rules

• By applying any substance to the clubhead (other than in cleaning it) to affect how it performs in making a stroke.

The most important question to ask when ruling on a club which has had something temporarily applied to the face by a player is “why has it been put there?” If a material or substance has been applied to the face in order to protect it or clean it, then it would probably be permitted provided all other Rules are satisfied

Another question, how do we know that he didn’t leave the soap residue on there to gain a competitive advantage? 🙃😁 I mean we can’t decipher if he thought the white out would, how can we be so sure the soap residue wasn’t purposeful? All hypothetical questions of course.

3 hours ago, Shankster said:

Another question, how do we know that he didn’t leave the soap residue on there to gain a competitive advantage? 🙃😁 I mean we can’t decipher if he thought the white out would, how can we be so sure the soap residue wasn’t purposeful? All hypothetical questions of course.

Honesty and Integrity.  

5 hours ago, Shankster said:

I personally think it was foot powder that got wet and dried. 😁

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Billy Horschel "the mover" on moving day. 👏  Didn't get to see any live coverage but will watch replay later.   

Team Fix folded like cheap patio chairs at a Sumo wrestler picnic today... but I already called it 🤣😖.

Congratulations Billy Horschel!!!

Horschel got the job done, long time since his last win, so good for him. His kids were a adorable throughout Billy's play and winning congrats on #18.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

Good win for Horschel.  But his kids especially his son stole the show!

it was such a nice change from the usual wife coming out for the kiss. 

His sons reaction when he recognized him walking up 18, saying “there’s daddy” was priceless.  

Although they didn’t seem suitably impressed to meet Jack Nicklaus 😬

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

What a great win for Horschel- the eagle on 15 was beyond clutch.

Seeing him enjoy it a little coming up 18 was really cool. The family's reaction was the best I've seen in a long time.

Mostly :taylormade-small: ITB. SIMMs, P790s...etc

Won't you pour me a Cuban Breeze, Gretchen?

6 hours ago, Ohms said:

What a great win for Horschel- the eagle on 15 was beyond clutch.

Seeing him enjoy it a little coming up 18 was really cool. The family's reaction was the best I've seen in a long time.

I can't imagine what that must have felt like - a combination of elation and relief like I've probably never known.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)