Jnoble89's 2023 Season Thread: Intro & Journey to Breaking 90

Not upset about this! Just won an Instagram giveaway for a Perfect Practice putting mat! Will be PERFECT for some testing with the Cobra Supernova against my Spider Tour!

IMG_0189.png.280c2706a383421c9420cd747e3aae42.png

Driver: :cobra-small: DARKSPEED X 9* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X 

Fairways: :cobra-small: Aerojet Max 3W & 7W MCA Kai'Li White 60 Stiff

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :cobra-small: Snakebite Black 52/56/60 Hi-Rev 2.0 Black Stiff

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour X :titleist-small: ProV1x

#LeftyGang

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

Cobra Darkspeed X Driver Unofficial Review (link here)

Congrats on winning The Perfect Practice Putting Mat! 🎊

Titleist T200 Irons - 5i thru Gap Wedge - Stiff AMT Black

Callaway PARADYM X 9.0 with Hazrdous X Black 6.0 Stiff Shaft

Fairway Woods:  Callaway Maverick 3W & RazrX Black 5W - Stiff Flex

Rescue:  Apex 4 (22 degree )- Recoil 75H stiff flex 

Wedges: Titleist SM8 - 54 (D Grind) wedge flex; SM8 58(M grind) wedge flex

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X5.5

Ball: Titleist ProV1

Handicap: 0

3 hours ago, Jnoble89 said:

Not upset about this! Just won an Instagram giveaway for a Perfect Practice putting mat! Will be PERFECT for some testing with the Cobra Supernova against my Spider Tour!

IMG_0189.png.280c2706a383421c9420cd747e3aae42.png

Way to go man!

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :kbs: TD Cat 4 70g (back up :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" )

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with :kbs: PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with:kbs: Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter::L.A.B.:Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  :Snell: Prime 4.0

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

Glove: :redrooster:

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

So played in league again tonight and we finished +1 (net -3). Overall I was able to hit some really solid shots with most of the clubs in my bag. Missed three 14+ foot birdie putts by a total of probably 7”, really would have liked to have those but oh well. 

Worked briefly on the range trying to feel not lifting my hands so high in the backswing and working AROUND my body and not working upwards to try and come from the inside more. Had some horrendous misses with my driver doing this, but also hit a really nice baby draw on a par 5 that went about 270. So I know I can do it, I just need to ingrain the feel. Got to hit my 7 wood once and absolutely pured it, but it got hung up in the wind and I ended up being about 10 yards short on a 215 yard pin. It’s so easy to hit and the ball flight is just beautiful. That club will be a weapon attacking greens on par 5s if I can get my driver sorted out. One thing I am slightly disappointed in is the finish on one of my SB Black wedges. I just unwrapped the 56° today and already noticed that on the toe the black finish doesn’t look like it was applied to one spot. It is not scuffed, so maybe just missed during finishing. It is a small mark, and clubs get scuffed up, so it is what it is. Just was surprised to see that. Also noticing bag chatter from my AJ irons is leaving marks on the black wedges. I may try to rearrange my bag to help prevent it, but it’s somewhat hard to do as I don’t want them by my woods clanking on the shafts. Again, tools not jewels, they just look SO DAMN GOOD lol. 

Range session tomorrow to continue trying to work on my new feel path, and using the R10 to get some club data. I’ll be specifically looking at path and face to path to keep trying to work on improving that. 

#LeftyGang

9 hours ago, Jnoble89 said:

Worked briefly on the range trying to feel not lifting my hands so high in the backswing and working AROUND my body and not working upwards to try and come from the inside more. Had some horrendous misses with my driver doing this, but also hit a really nice baby draw on a par 5 that went about 270. So I know I can do it, I just need to ingrain the feel.

The lifting the arms part I somewhat agree with. There is some lifting of the arms in the swing, the problem is when the swing is only arm lift. You want the club itself working up via wrist set.

An in to out club path isn’t necessarily better than an out to in. A 1-3° path either way is fine, face to path is as important.

Swinging around the body to try and produce an in to out path is actually going to lead to exactly what you experienced with a great shot every so often and some bad ones. To much into to out is bad and leads to two way misses and lots of bad shots. Just like too much out to in. There are some really great golfers that have a slight out to in path with their long clubs and in to out with the short ones. The key to it all is to have proper swing mechanics. Good pressure shift along with proper pelvis tilt, proper wrist set in the backswing and proper pressure shift back into lead side at the top of the backswing and before downswing and getting the arms off the chest and the wrists moving in the right direction.

Are you using any type of tutorial videos on how to swing a club? If not what are you using to teach yourself then golfswing?

Here’s a slo mo of Rory’s driver swing club isn’t working around the body.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

The lifting the arms part I somewhat agree with. There is some lifting of the arms in the swing, the problem is when the swing is only arm lift. You want the club itself working up via wrist set.

An in to out club path isn’t necessarily better than an out to in. A 1-3° path either way is fine, face to path is as important.

Swinging around the body to try and produce an in to out path is actually going to lead to exactly what you experienced with a great shot every so often and some bad ones. To much into to out is bad and leads to two way misses and lots of bad shots. Just like too much out to in. There are some really great golfers that have a slight out to in path with their long clubs and in to out with the short ones. The key to it all is to have proper swing mechanics. Good pressure shift along with proper pelvis tilt, proper wrist set in the backswing and proper pressure shift back into lead side at the top of the backswing and before downswing and getting the arms off the chest and the wrists moving in the right direction.

Are you using any type of tutorial videos on how to swing a club? If not what are you using to teach yourself then golfswing?

Here’s a slo mo of Rory’s driver swing club isn’t working around the body.

So I am probably not great at putting into words what I am trying to do as far as making some changes 😅 there are some videos I've found helpful on YouTube, and I really like this one of Rory's swing (not that I have the ability/mobility to swing it like he does lol). I'm trying to find that position at the top of the backswing where basically it looks like his left arm is parallel or travels straight over his right shoulder. I noticed on recordings I've done of my swing to this point, my right arm and thus hands end up much higher over my left shoulder, and then the shaft gets super steep on the downswing and the clubhead gets out in front of me early. So maybe the term working around my body was not the correct one to use, but it's more or less what I am trying to feel to keep my hands from getting so high. I am sure it comes down to using my body better to move through the swing than being all arms. I don't want to have to try and completely rebuild my swing because who knows how long that would take, but rather just make some modifications over time that can lead to more consistency. Golf is already hard enough for me haha. I'm also not sure if any of that makes sense as I can tend to ramble.

From my last range session Monday, the best drive I hit was a slight fade with Club Path 5.3* Right and Face to Path 4.8* Left, but it varied pretty wildly. Attack angle on that particular shot was -3.6° also, which during the session varied from that much negative to no more than +3°

#LeftyGang

4 minutes ago, Jnoble89 said:

So I am probably not great at putting into words what I am trying to do as far as making some changes 😅 there are some videos I've found helpful on YouTube, and I really like this one of Rory's swing (not that I have the ability/mobility to swing it like he does lol). I'm trying to find that position at the top of the backswing where basically it looks like his left arm is parallel or travels straight over his right shoulder. I noticed on recordings I've done of my swing to this point, my right arm and thus hands end up much higher over my left shoulder, and then the shaft gets super steep on the downswing and the clubhead gets out in front of me early. So maybe the term working around my body was not the correct one to use, but it's more or less what I am trying to feel to keep my hands from getting so high. I am sure it comes down to using my body better to move through the swing than being all arms. I don't want to have to try and completely rebuild my swing because who knows how long that would take, but rather just make some modifications over time that can lead to more consistency. Golf is already hard enough for me haha. I'm also not sure if any of that makes sense as I can tend to ramble.

From my last range session Monday, the best drive I hit was a slight fade with Club Path 5.3* Right and Face to Path 4.8* Left, but it varied pretty wildly. 

This is a personal opinion, but I like what/how Porzak Golf on YouTube teaches for doing the backswing and avoiding lifting the club as well as syncing up the body.  It just makes sense to me and is explained well 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

3 minutes ago, cnosil said:

This is a personal opinion, but I like what/how Porzak Golf on YouTube teaches for doing the backswing and avoiding lifting the club as well as syncing up the body.  It just makes sense to me and is explained well 

I will check him out, thanks! I am trying to not overload myself with too many things all at once because then I feel like it'll lead me to just plain falling apart. I am pretty certain my takeaway needs quite a bit of improvement. It's hard to determine what thing to work on first lol.

I have been watching Tom Saguto's free videos from his Saguto Golf school and I like the way he teaches and explains methods as well.

#LeftyGang

17 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Porzak is pretty good. I have used his setup and takeaway videos for people to use to fix issues.

22 minutes ago, Jnoble89 said:

From my last range session Monday, the best drive I hit was a slight fade with Club Path 5.3* Right and Face to Path 4.8* Left, but it varied pretty wildly. Attack angle on that particular shot was -3.6° also, which during the session varied from that much negative to no more than +3°

those numbers are pretty extreme. 

You need to fix takeaway first and then work on the first part of the backswing to lead arm parallel correct and hits lots of balls from these positions. If you can’t make good contact/swings from this point in the swing you won’t be able to do them at full length and full speed.

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Here's a slo mo of Rory’s driver swing club isn’t working around the body.

Jason, this is a good video of Rory's driver swing, good find @RickyBobby_PR!
Rory is exceptional, at 5'9" generating so much power and uses his body perfectly. Personally, I like his swing better than DeChambeau! There's another good video featuring Rory & the Barstool Guys. One of the Guys is a lefty. 

With this video, Rory's takeaway is one piece, using his shoulders.  Notice how he keeps the "V" in his takeaway.
The other thing Rory does well, as he's making his turn he engages his right hip allowing it to move back and right leg then starts to straighten and club stays at or outside his right shoulder (14 second mark, look where Rory's hands are and club will move more flat to parallel.  If he's inside his right shoulder the club would be more perpendicular to the ground vs more parallel as in the video. His shoulder turn is great! Jason, you get a good shoulder turn as well, as shown in your previous videos!

I think the key to Rory's power is his hip action. The misnomer is you have to engage  the right hip and throw it(or release it) (for right handed players). I've had so many lessons where instructor gets you to throw the hip, however it causes an over the top move, if you engage a hip turn too early.  Notice as Rory starts his downswing his right hip is quiet (28 sec mark)? 
From the back video angle you can't really see it as well, but what Rory does, he moves his left hip slightly sideways towards the target (not sliding his body)
His posture - spine angle - is in the same position through his swing - at the 32 sec mark look how he's moving into the ball.  Jason, One thing from your driver video in an earlier post I noticed, you and I have a similar move at impact, we tend to stand up in the downswing and our chest tends to move back away from the ball vs Rory keeps his move towards the ball & right shoulder (your left shoulder) moving under. Notice how Rory's hips are now turning?  Then his extension, It's beautiful! His balance & timing are wonderful.  He gets squirrely at times gets too fast (he is human LOL), but overall he is a good role model.  What a good video!

Here's that Barstool Guys video with Rory!  It's great! 

56 minutes ago, tdroma98 said:

I think the key to Rory's power is his hip action. The misnomer is you have to engage  the right hip and throw it(or release it) (for right handed players). I've had so many lessons where instructor gets you to throw the hip, however it causes an over the top move, if you engage a hip turn too early.  Notice as Rory starts his downswing his right hip is quiet (28 sec mark)? 
From the back video angle you can't really see it as well, but what Rory does, he moves his left hip slightly sideways towards the target (not sliding his body)

All good players have similar movement pattern to what rory does. Shift pressure into trail leg early and have it stop at between club parallel and lead arm parallel and starting to move back to 50/50 as the backswing continues and then moves to 70/30 at the top of the swing. The trail hip moves back and around in the backswing and as you note in the downswing the trail hip stays or in some gets deeper in transition, then the lead hip moves back and up in the downswing.

Correct that throwing the trail hip or firing it will lead to a steep swing, it may not always be over the top, depends on what the golfer does, usually better golfers will dump the right side to shallow where higher handicaps will be over the top

Got back from the driving range just now and probably should have quit 30 minutes ago as it ended up turning into an unproductive hack fest. I could not hit the ball well and got frustrated and instead of walking away kept swinging. Lesson learned. I also am not planning on using the Garmin R10 anymore as I think it is doing more harm than good for me. I thought it would be nice for gauging distance on clubs, but I am finding myself becoming too concerned with the data is it providing and it is a distraction. I hit primarily driver today which also was probably a mistake. I hit only a few decent shots out of many and spin rate was really high again. So far I am not loving the Aerojet Max driver compared to my TSi3. I haven't swung it nearly as much with only having it for a short period of time, but it feels heavier and is taking some time to get used to. It may end up performing better, but at this point I am not sure. Again, trying to stay out of my own head and my own way on this and chalking today up as one of those days where I just did not have it and was not going to find it. I couldn't even hit my GW, for example, which is a club I rarely struggle to strike well. 

#LeftyGang

19 minutes ago, Jnoble89 said:

Got back from the driving range just now and probably should have quit 30 minutes ago as it ended up turning into an unproductive hack fest. I could not hit the ball well and got frustrated and instead of walking away kept swinging. Lesson learned. I also am not planning on using the Garmin R10 anymore as I think it is doing more harm than good for me. I thought it would be nice for gauging distance on clubs, but I am finding myself becoming too concerned with the data is it providing and it is a distraction. I hit primarily driver today which also was probably a mistake. I hit only a few decent shots out of many and spin rate was really high again. So far I am not loving the Aerojet Max driver compared to my TSi3. I haven't swung it nearly as much with only having it for a short period of time, but it feels heavier and is taking some time to get used to. It may end up performing better, but at this point I am not sure. Again, trying to stay out of my own head and my own way on this and chalking today up as one of those days where I just did not have it and was not going to find it. I couldn't even hit my GW, for example, which is a club I rarely struggle to strike well. 

The vast majority of a practice session should be with a high lofter iron or possibly a mid iron. 8,7,6 irons would be best, pw or 9’woudnt hurt and 80% of practice should be with backswing no further than lead arm parallel.

Should be 5 drill swings and a full swing. 

Driver should be a few swings to see if the swing work is translating to the driver.

Tbh you would probably be better off in your journey by taking lessons vice the go it alone route. However if the go it alone route is the preferred choice then using something like Monte’s efficient swing, not turn cast and boom force in that order or two of the three would be a lot better route than your current path.

I want to see you get better. 

1 minute ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

The vast majority of a practice session should be with a high lofter iron or possibly a mid iron. 8,7,6 irons would be best, pw or 9’woudnt hurt and 80% of practice should be with backswing no further than lead arm parallel.

Should be 5 drill swings and a full swing. 

Driver should be a few swings to see if the swing work is translating to the driver.

Tbh you would probably be better off in your journey by taking lessons vice the go it alone route. However if the go it alone route is the preferred choice then using something like Monte’s efficient swing, not turn cast and boom force in that order or two of the three would be a lot better route than your current path.

I want to see you get better. 

I would love to do regular lessons with the pro at my club as I really like how he teaches, it unfortunately just isn't in my budget at the moment. I will keep doing some research with online drills and develop a better practice plan than over swinging one club until I can't effectively swing anything anymore. Today was just one of those days where nothing was going right. I appreciate all your input and investment into my journey!

#LeftyGang

54 minutes ago, Jnoble89 said:

Sounds like you need to develop a range plan and stick to it when you get there.  I've not much of a range rat, and I've never liked going to the range where I start with wedges and work up through the bag to the driver.  Even before a round I only use a wedge, 7i, and driver to warm up.  However, I would suggest that you work on one specific thing during a session.  I would also suggest NOT getting a large bucket.  Take your time with each swing; go through your routine for each one as you would on the course.  It's easy to rake the next ball into position and hit away.  Now that's just getting exercise and not helping very much.  I keep all of the balls in the bucket; reach in to get one; place it; setup behind the ball and pick a target; walk into my setup; take look and swing... each time!  Build your routine.

@RickyBobby_PR got his post in before mine.  I agree with his points.  A swing lead arm parallel to trail arm parallel with a 7i or 8i should be most of your practice.  Work on it slow at first, trying to hit the ball only 70-80 yards; then start speeding it up.  If swing starts getting out of whack, slow down again.  You need to build the correct motion.

I know with a new driver, the temptation to hit driver is great.  However, I wouldn't hit more than a few drivers, then go back to the iron.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

26 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Sounds like you need to develop a range plan and stick to it when you get there.  I've not much of a range rat, and I've never liked going to the range where I start with wedges and work up through the bag to the driver.  Even before a round I only use a wedge, 7i, and driver to warm up.  However, I would suggest that you work on one specific thing during a session.  I would also suggest NOT getting a large bucket.  Take your time with each swing; go through your routine for each one as you would on the course.  It's easy to rake the next ball into position and hit away.  Now that's just getting exercise and not helping very much.  I keep all of the balls in the bucket; reach in to get one; place it; setup behind the ball and pick a target; walk into my setup; take look and swing... each time!  Build your routine.

@RickyBobby_PR got his post in before mine.  I agree with his points.  A swing lead arm parallel to trail arm parallel with a 7i or 8i should be most of your practice.  Work on it slow at first, trying to hit the ball only 70-80 yards; then start speeding it up.  If swing starts getting out of whack, slow down again.  You need to build the correct motion.

I know with a new driver, the temptation to hit driver is great.  However, I wouldn't hit more than a few drivers, then go back to the iron.  

Thanks for the advice on building a routine for the range, Kenny. I've never had full access to it before as this is my first year with a membership, so in the past I'd just try to hit as many balls as possible thinking that would help me. Obviously that is the incorrect thought which I do know. I am guilty of grabbing a couple bags of balls, we have bags and not buckets, and just raking one in and resetting. I will take the approach of a small bag next time and just slowly work through each shot. I also have always worked into a full swing, never even thought about parallel to parallel, so it is good for me to hear that. And with how poorly I hit driver on the range, I think keeping it in the bag is a good idea. And if I start with less balls, I won't have a bunch left at the end to whack at.

#LeftyGang

1 hour ago, Jnoble89 said:

I would love to do regular lessons with the pro at my club as I really like how he teaches, it unfortunately just isn't in my budget at the moment. I will keep doing some research with online drills and develop a better practice plan than over swinging one club until I can't effectively swing anything anymore. Today was just one of those days where nothing was going right. I appreciate all your input and investment into my journey!

Honestly you don’t need to do regular lessons. You could do a single lesson, have him figure out what is the best change to make that will have you playing better sooner and just work on that. It will take awhile to have whatever that is engrained into your swing because you have to make motor pattern changes. Those take time and patience. Doing drills slowly over and over, partial swings slowly over and over. 

Then in 6 months or even longer or shorter when you are starting to play better take another lesson to see what’s next to help get even better.

3 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Honestly you don’t need to do regular lessons. You could do a single lesson, have him figure out what is the best change to make that will have you playing better sooner and just work on that. It will take awhile to have whatever that is engrained into your swing because you have to make motor pattern changes. Those take time and patience. Doing drills slowly over and over, partial swings slowly over and over. 

Then in 6 months or even longer or shorter when you are starting to play better take another lesson to see what’s next to help get even better.

Online lessons also help if you can record your swing. 

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :kbs: TD Cat 4 70g (back up :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" )

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with :kbs: PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with:kbs: Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter::L.A.B.:Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  :Snell: Prime 4.0

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

Glove: :redrooster:

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

24 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I did do a lesson with him earlier this year and one drill he gave me to work on was just a contact drill where I take a narrow stance, get some forward shaft lean, and try to feel solid strike at the impact position. I didn’t do that Monday or today, so need to work that back into my routine. I really liked it and it did seem to help feel that impact position a little better 

#LeftyGang

1 hour ago, Vegan_Golfer_PNW said:

Online lessons also help if you can record your swing. 

The more threads and videos I see posted on multiple forums of swings and online coaching/advice the less I think online lessons work for most higher handicap golfers and even some mid to low handicaps.

What gets said by the instructor doesn’t always translate to the golfer and their follow on videos show the swing either went to far the other extreme or they minunderstood what they were told to do and are doing a drill wrong 

As I am sitting here thinking about it, the other aspect of all of this is the mental fortitude it is going to take not only to work on ingraining new patterns, but also not being too hard on myself. Not just with golf, but most things in life I am admittedly a negative self-talk individual. It's something that I have dealt with my entire life and can make some tasks really challenging to overcome. Having thoughts like "I suck at golf" or "I'll never get better at this game" creep into my head when I am struggling. I wish it wasn't the case, but it is. I have struggled, openly, about this issue in respect to my mental health and need to work on getting away from the negative self-talk mindset in all facets of life. Slightly out of context, but certainly played a role in my struggles today.

I should add that I am very fortunate this forum exists and is full of helpful individuals when it comes to providing advice and support towards this game. It really does make a difference.

#LeftyGang

50 minutes ago, Jnoble89 said:

As I am sitting here thinking about it, the other aspect of all of this is the mental fortitude it is going to take not only to work on ingraining new patterns, but also not being too hard on myself. Not just with golf, but most things in life I am admittedly a negative self-talk individual. It's something that I have dealt with my entire life and can make some tasks really challenging to overcome. Having thoughts like "I suck at golf" or "I'll never get better at this game" creep into my head when I am struggling. I wish it wasn't the case, but it is. I have struggled, openly, about this issue in respect to my mental health and need to work on getting away from the negative self-talk mindset in all facets of life. Slightly out of context, but certainly played a role in my struggles today.

I should add that I am very fortunate this forum exists and is full of helpful individuals when it comes to providing advice and support towards this game. It really does make a difference.

You are a good golfer who just broke 100 for the first of many times, Jason. As someone who has pretty much been in a funk the last couple of years I just want to encourage you to keep up the good work you've been doing and not fall into the negative trap I fell in.

This is a tough game and the longer I play the more I realize that the small improvements take time. I have no doubt you'll get three driver under control. I'm not saying it'll outperform your Titleist, but I think once you free up, it'll perform well as a custom fitted driver should.

I agree with @Kenny B that range time should be purposeful and it's beneficial to go through your pre shot routine and establish a rhythm like you would use on the course. I would also recommend spending time on the range practicing holes in your mind that you will see in the course. Hit driver, then say you would have a 100 yard shot in for the second then pull the club that you would use and go after the 100 yard marker. Just relax and have fun. That's been the biggest factor that has helped me personally. Tension is a killer.

I'm rooting hard for you. 

10 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

You are a good golfer who just broke 100 for the first of many times, Jason. As someone who has pretty much been in a funk the last couple of years I just want to encourage you to keep up the good work you've been doing and not fall into the negative trap I fell in.

This is a tough game and the longer I play the more I realize that the small improvements take time. I have no doubt you'll get three driver under control. I'm not saying it'll outperform your Titleist, but I think once you free up, it'll perform well as a custom fitted driver should.

I agree with @Kenny B that range time should be purposeful and it's beneficial to go through your pre shot routine and establish a rhythm like you would use on the course. I would also recommend spending time on the range practicing holes in your mind that you will see in the course. Hit driver, then say you would have a 100 yard shot in for the second then pull the club that you would use and go after the 100 yard marker. Just relax and have fun. That's been the biggest factor that has helped me personally. Tension is a killer.

I'm rooting hard for you. 

Thanks, Jason. I appreciate the support! This forum is an awesome place for it thanks to guys like you and countless others.

#LeftyGang

6 hours ago, Jnoble89 said:

Got back from the driving range just now and probably should have quit 30 minutes ago as it ended up turning into an unproductive hack fest trying to stay out of my own head and my own way on this and chalking today up as one of those days where I just did not have it and was not going to find it. I couldn't even hit my GW, for example, which is a club I rarely struggle to strike well. 

Some would call it 'Miller Time', me I find solace in a meatloaf sandwich with lettuce and a cold glass of milk.  Tomorrow is another day with a different sandwich.

Good hand action comes from good body action.     

:macgregor-small:  :benhogan-small: :cobra-small:

4 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

What gets said by the instructor doesn’t always translate to the golfer and their follow on videos show the swing either went to far the other extreme or they minunderstood what they were told to do and are doing a drill wrong 

That's one of the reasons I feel that Monte is such a good instructor.  He has many ways to tell people and and different drills to address same issue.  Not every comment or drill works the same for every person.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

14 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

That's one of the reasons I feel that Monte is such a good instructor.  He has many ways to tell people and and different drills to address same issue.  Not every comment or drill works the same for every person.  

This is definitely something I am going to look into. At only $34 even if I don’t care for it, I’m out less than half of a lesson with my pro here in town. Definitely considering it, and did find some takeaway drills from Porzak Golf I will be trying that I can then use for parallel to parallel practice swings. Thanks @cnosil for the recommendation!

#LeftyGang

5 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

@Jnoble89  He also runs sales on his videos; I think he had a $19 special during the US Open.  I would also add his Use the Bounce 2 video to the list; great if you have issues with short game shots.  He explains the basics for pitch shots and how to control them.  His bunker segments completely changed my sand play; not being able to get out of the bunker to getting the ball close enough to the hole for sand saves.  I am always reviewing parts of these videos as refresher and have seen something I had missed before.  Well worth the $34.

3 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

@Jnoble89  He also runs sales on his videos; I think he had a $19 special during the US Open.  I would also add his Use the Bounce 2 video to the list; great if you have issues with short game shots.  He explains the basics for pitch shots and how to control them.  His bunker segments completely changed my sand play; not being able to get out of the bunker to getting the ball close enough to the hole for sand saves.  I am always reviewing parts of these videos as refresher and have seen something I had missed before.  Well worth the $34.

Monte is good at that. I think there are some instructors that are better than others for online lessons, but even so I e recently seen some that have got feedback from lessons with Monte and what they talked about an what the video of working on it looks like you would think that thur never did a lesson.

Imo the bigger the swing issue the more an in person lesson would be a better option or instead of paying for the feedback from a video it would be better to do a virtual lesson where you are at leas talking live with the instructor