Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

PICS! - Callaway X Utility (Prototype) Driving Iron

• SPY VIP

OFFICIAL WORD ON DEVELOPMENT:

This is a Tour Utility iron that is rolling out on Tour this week and a project/design of Roger Cleveland's. There are no immediate plans to make it available commercially, although it might depending on how well it is received by tour staff and consumers. Right now, the only models available are at the Byron Nelson.

callaway-x-utility-2012-1.jpg

callaway-x-utility-2012-2.jpg

#TruthDigest

I guess it is the angle but that blade looks like it is a foot long. 24* is not much of a driving iron.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

I wouldn't say it's a driving iron- don't know why people even call them that considering ive never seen an iron with less than 17* loft and I don't know anyone who plays a 17* driver so.... Yea....

They're "utility irons" as what's stated on the heads. I've played the old x tour utilities since they came out years ago and I'm ready for an update. Not bc mine is worn but bc I'm bored of it. If this club looks feels and plays like the old x your utility irons then I'm all in. I had them in all three lofts but now only have a couple 21*s.

I have a Mizuno 24* FLI HI (4iron) that I love. I have been seriously considering getting the 21 and 18 degrees. The main reason I have not is because the have a .355 taper tip and I like the KBS Hyrid shafts. And to be honest they will have a very difficult time out performing my old Hogan's. I may get some and bore then out to .370 but I am hitting the set up I have so good.

So good in fact that this afternoon we had a guy join us for the last 5 holes and on one hole I pulled out a hybrid and heard the guy tell the other "Oh no, he is getting out the sniper rifles again. He's killing me all day with them." it is great to have three clubs the you absolutely know are going to go 190, 210, 225 in a straight line and can bend it you need too. Off the tee they are even longer.

If you are looking at 19,21,24,27,31,35,38,43,47 (2i down to PW). Some sets lately have been doing the 4* split from 6i to 7 iron instead of 5i to 6i, so it turns the 6i into a 30* and everything bellow it is 1* stronger as well. So this is a 4 iron replacement, it looks good and I like the idea, I use the 4 iron on some tee boxes from time to time other then par 3s, some weird short par 4 and par 5 it's a better play then anything longer.

This is a great idea for people that still want a iron hook but also have a hybrid type performance getting the ball in the air easier. I'll be the first to admit hitting a 2, 3, 4iron espesually a blade is no easy task, so I like the idea, I almost got myself a 19* Mizuno FLI HI one time when i was in the market for a 2iron equivalent.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

Sounds like you guys have had good luck with the FLI HI -- considered demo'ing it, but wound up happy with a couple of Cleveland Mashie's (20.5* and 23*). Put a good swing on 'em and like RR says - they're like sniper rifles.

Like the looks of this Callaway - although the head does look more like a foot than a head.

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Whats the science behind making the head like that? Or is it the picture that makes it seem longer and skinnier than it actually is?

Inside My Blue Callaway Warbird X Golf Stand Bag:

Driver:Nike SQ 10.5* with Graphite Design Y6+

3W:Cobra S2 14*

4W: Nike SQ Dymo 17*

3H and 4H: Taylormade Rescue 19* and 22*

5H: Cleveland Mashie 23*

6H: Adams a3os Hollow-Back

7Iron-Sand Wedge:Callaway X-20 Series with Callaway Steel

Lob Wedge (60*):Cleveland CG-12 Black Pearl with Cleveland TRaction Steel Wedge Flex

Putter: Odyssey Versa #9

Golfball: Callaway Hex Black Tour

The science behind it is that lots of people can't hit hybrids. They struggle with them whether it be the look, confidence, etc. This is loads more forgiving than the traditional long iron but not quite large like a hybrid. This replaces long irons for those that struggle hitting them and can't hit a hybrid. It's nothing new, Controller had one in the 80's, PRGR has had them for a while, Fourteen is becoming quite popular (winner of The Players has one in his bag), Yonex's Zero Iron, Callaway's 2006 Utility, etc. They're a hair lower launching than their hybrid counterparts. They're also more iron like and for those that look down at a hybrid and see the headshape and swing it incorrectly like a fairway wood instead of the iron it replaces. This helps those types of persons.

MGS did Greg take these pics?

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

• SPY VIP

The problem with their growth compared to hybrids is actually how they have always been marketed to consumers. These get marketed as "driving irons" which has resulted in players for the most part only using them off the tee where the hybrid was marketed as a utility club and almost a replacement for people that struggle with fairway woods. True that generally they are lower launching than most hybrids, although they could produce one that is more functional for a larger variety of shots. And I actually think it would perform better for most golfers compared to hybrids.

But long irons in golfers mind say one thing nowadays "hard to hit" and hybrids say "easier to hit"...of course this is for the average golfer. So hybrids became the trend and "driving irons" for the most part got phased out of production lines. Which honestly is a shame, because these could be very effective clubs for a large % of consumers.

These pics came from the Fujikura Rep via his Twitter account. No clue who actually was behind the camera. But I would doubt Greg posted an out of focus pic. But could be possible.

The science behind it is that lots of people can't hit hybrids. They struggle with them whether it be the look, confidence, etc. This is loads more forgiving than the traditional long iron but not quite large like a hybrid. This replaces long irons for those that struggle hitting them and can't hit a hybrid. It's nothing new, Controller had one in the 80's, PRGR has had them for a while, Fourteen is becoming quite popular (winner of The Players has one in his bag), Yonex's Zero Iron, Callaway's 2006 Utility, etc. They're a hair lower launching than their hybrid counterparts. They're also more iron like and for those that look down at a hybrid and see the headshape and swing it incorrectly like a fairway wood instead of the iron it replaces. This helps those types of persons.

MGS did Greg take these pics?

#TruthDigest

Heard from a decent source that these will NEVER make it to production.

Surprising if true :o

I'm sure if the consumers keep asking Cally about them, they'll come out. They said that about the blade Phil was putting with and then it did come out later. I like the more iron shaped hybrids (I played a 503.H and then AirMuscle for a long time and lots hated them). With the tour traction these types of clubs are getting (Fourteen, Yonex, etc), one will come to mass market sooner rather than later. May not be callaway, but someone will mass market one.

In The Bag

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

• SPY VIP

OFFICIAL WORD ON DEVELOPMENT:

This is a Tour Utility iron that is rolling out on Tour this week and a project/design of Roger Cleveland's. There are no immediate plans to make it available commercially, although it might depending on how well it is received by tour staff and consumers. Right now, the only models available are at the Byron Nelson.

#TruthDigest

I swear by Cobra's Baffler Hybrids. I'm on my third generation of them. But then, I'm a sweeper so a hyrbid fits my swing better than most.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

I thought, am still thinking, about the Mizunos simply so that when someone asks what I hit I can say 2 iron. ;)

But the face does not have the pop that the titanium hybrids do on partial shots. And my hybrids do everything I ask them to do.

imho I like the look of it

Stuart

Follow me on TWITTER @StuartRust81 or work @OTproshop

Currently in my bag;

Scotty Cameron Newport oil can

All my other clubs are up for sale in the Proshop

New clubs on Order

TaylorMade R1 Driver

RBZ 2 Fairway adjustable

RBZ 2 Hybrid adjustable

RocketBladez Tour

ATV wedges

That is a shame that Cally isn't really planning on bringing it to market would be neat to compare the Mizuno MP FLI-HI to this prototype from Cally

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

Petition them to bring it to retail. They usually try to listen to their consumer wants/demands. The more people that ask for it, the more likely it is to be released. Then hope someone wins a major with one in play, that usually helps a lot too in respect to Callaway.

In The Bag

I've used a Bridgestone version for a while now and have had much more success then a hybrid. I've tried almost all OEM hybrids and their ok but just can't seem to hit them any better then my TM HFS 5 wood that is bent open to play at 21*. I bring out the B-Stone air muscle every once and a while if I'm playing a course that has long par 3's as I start with 4 iron in my bag and i only hit that around 195-200. So the Air muscle will get me the yardage needed between 195-210. from 210 and longer I use my TM HFS and if it's more then 230 its 3wood. I think many people if their like me can't stand looking down at these hybrids that look like their 5* closed and just don't feel right. I have an Adams DF 9031 DF 20* and thats OK but still looks a little weird to me. I need to like what I'm looking at to feel confident..... I don't know how others feel but that has a lot to do on how I feel before I even attempt to hit the ball.

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472