Shot Tracking Options (Arccos / Garmin / Shotscope / Apple Watch)

I've been an Arccos user for almost three years and I've come to rely on the advanced analytics after the round to help me see where I'm improving or getting worse. While I love the data and the UX of the Arccos app, I've started to get really frustrated by the number of shots it misses (I'm using the Link device to detect shots) as well as the really poor AI recommendations the app makes.

So I decided to pick up the Garmin S70, which I used for a couple of weeks before realizing it was not what I wanted either. My opinion is that it's really great during the round, and gives good info including slope, barometric data, etc., but after the round it leaves a lot to be desired from a data standpoint. The only software option currently available to use the data collected by the watch is the Garmin Golf app, which is essentially just a digital scorecard. It does track club distances but that's about it. There is little to no analytics to help you improve as a golfer.

I just ordered an Apple Watch SE and am going to try some apps like The Grint, Golfshot, 18 Birdies, and PAR Golf as soon as it arrives. Has anybody else gone on this journey before me and has some advice or knowledge to pass on?

My ultimate goal is a solution that provides shot-tracking capability, in-round AI caddie advice, and post-round analytics preferably using strokes gained metrics.

• Driver: Titleist TSR3 9* Driver - HZRDUS Black 60g
  • 3W: Cobra LTDx - HZRDUS Smoke iM10 60g
  • 7W: Cobra LTDx Max - HZRDUS Smoke iM10 60g
  • 3h: Cobra King Tec - Mitsubishi HY 80g
  • Irons: Mizuno 225 Pro 5-GW - Project X IO 110g
  • SW: Titleist Vokey SM9 54-10S
  • LW: Taylormade MG Hi-Toe 58-10
  • Putter: Evnroll ER5B
  • Ball: Vice Pro Plus

I tried Arccos and didn't find it to be worth the subscription price for what it does. Missing shots and draining the battery on my devices made it annoying to use. I use 18 birdies free version which provides manual shot tracking, straight yardages, and an interactive gps map. The watch app works well for giving yardages and keeping score as well. The downside to 18 Birdies is that its a battery hog and most of the features require a lot of user input while you're playing.

I haven't tried it, but I have high hopes for Golfshot. It seems to have all of the features of 18 Birdies plus automatic shot tracking using an Apple watch and wrist tracking to give some additional stats like swing speed and club path. All I'm waiting on is for the wrist tracking functionality to be made available for range sessions. 

WITB:

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.8* Turned to 9.5* with Alta CB Red Stiff Flex

3 Hybrid: TaylorMade R15 Rescue

Irons: TaylorMade Burner 2.0

Wedges: Lazarus 52, 56, and 60

Putter: Putter Designed and Built by me!

My Apple watch arrives today and I'm playing tomorrow, so I'll give Golfshot a try first and report back.

• Driver: Titleist TSR3 9* Driver - HZRDUS Black 60g
  • 3W: Cobra LTDx - HZRDUS Smoke iM10 60g
  • 7W: Cobra LTDx Max - HZRDUS Smoke iM10 60g
  • 3h: Cobra King Tec - Mitsubishi HY 80g
  • Irons: Mizuno 225 Pro 5-GW - Project X IO 110g
  • SW: Titleist Vokey SM9 54-10S
  • LW: Taylormade MG Hi-Toe 58-10
  • Putter: Evnroll ER5B
  • Ball: Vice Pro Plus

GolfPad is worth a shot. Email them and they’ll give you a short free trial of all features.

TSi2 Driver, Titleist TSi2 4 Wood, Ping G410 3 Hybrid, Ping G400 4 Hybrid, Maltby TS1 5-GW, Maltby Max Milled 54, Maltby Max Milled 58, Piretti Forza.

Some folks say golf messes up a nice walk.  That’s not true, golf makes a nice walk bearable.

Arccos with Apple Watch seems to be more accurate and you should try it with your new Apple Watch.  Only area I see misses are short putts when you don't hit the ball very hard.

Mark Luft

Driver:  PING G430SFT 

Woods: PING G430SFT 3, 5 & 7

Irons:  PING G430 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, W, 45, 50, 54, 58

Putter: TaylorMade Spider X HydroBlast #9

Bag:  Bag Boy Revolver

Push Cart:  Bag Boy Nitro 3 Wheeler

I use a Garmin S60 but would love something that provides the functionality (or more) on an Apple or Android smart watch. Very interested to hear about Golfshot's similar shot-tracking feature. 

PXG 0211 driver, 5w, 6i-PW, GW, SW; Titleist H1 4h; Odyssey White Hot mallet.

I feel this post so much... Same boat as the OP... I work in the tech industry so I love all these gadgets anyway but I feel like I have tried just about all of them. Also, I have went through a deep dive in these forums reading over what apps folks use and what they like the best. I used to be a DIE HARD Garmin guy and loved all my Fenix series watches. However, it doesn't support arccos and like the OP stated, it leaves a lot to be desired with their post round data. 

• Ive tried Garmin Fenix and S62... Love it in round but have given up on them. 
  • I have tried Arccos with the phone (both Android and iOS) Link and apple watch. Hate how many shots it misses... Especially putting. 
    • This is also a problem for me is fiddling around with it in round is not an option... I play a private course and the pace of play is extremely fast so I never have time to make corrections. 
  • Apps I have tried: GHIN, GolfLogix, 18 Birdies, PAR Golf, SwingU, Grint, GolfShot, Hole19 -- some paid, some not

Going back to the pace of play; keeping score is a huge thing for me and something Arccos is terrible at... especially in a fast paced environment. So I use arccos to track my shots (phone in pocket or watch, doesnt matter) the best it can and spend some time after the round correcting any misses and getting my putting the best I can and I only pay attention to GHIN or GolfLogix on my watch during the round. 

Maybe I need to try golfshot again? GolfLogix just seems to be by far the best outside of GHIN... The GHIN apps one major fault is that I go out so much living on a course I dont want to enter in all my scores because sometimes we are screwing around etc... 

Edited by anotherburntsteak

:ping-small: G430 LST - Graphite Design Tour AD DI6 XS

:callaway-small: AI Smoke Hybrid 3 & 5 - LA Golf A Series 105 XS

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKII 5i-AW - :Nippon: 1150 GH XS

:ping-small: - ChipR

:cobra-small: - Black SnakeBite 53 & 57

:scotty-small: - Super Select Golo 6.5

:taylormade-small: TP5x Yellow / :titleist-small: Left Dash / :bridgestone-small:B X / :srixon-small: ZStar 🔹

:Ogio:  

:Arccos:

@anotherburntsteakI tried several apps as well and ended up using GolfPad with tags, but tired of having the phone on me for club tagging.  About three months ago I purchased a new Shotscope V3.  It rarely misses a shot or putt.  I think a lot of the putt missing is due to how someone holds the putter. I hold a putter with a standard grip and can only think of two times it missed a putt the last few rounds. With any system you have to adjust putts though due to GPS accuracy as feet matter for putting.

TSi2 Driver, Titleist TSi2 4 Wood, Ping G410 3 Hybrid, Ping G400 4 Hybrid, Maltby TS1 5-GW, Maltby Max Milled 54, Maltby Max Milled 58, Piretti Forza.

Some folks say golf messes up a nice walk.  That’s not true, golf makes a nice walk bearable.

For what it’s worth - I learned a while ago that I needed to keep a paper scorecard as a secondary “device” for data collection. While Arccos first, then Shotscope wxind, have improved, making the necessary on course adjustments was alway a bad thing for me. So I have kept paper cards with data as a way to aid data fixes on the “systems” post round. The paper scorecard thing is fast and natural for me and I don’t have to mess around with a device while I play. And I do capture quite a bit of “manual” data: gross score, putts on greens, paced off putt lengths, gir, fir, tee off club. Outcome of tee shot (r,L,c,short, long) and any penalties incurred. While it’s sounds mostly crazy, my actual workflow doesn’t impact my playing at all. Yep it adds to to pay round editing, but I’m long reconciled to that fact anyway. I used to keep score vs par as well but  I have found that being aware of that messes with my head when things are going too well or too badly. 

IMG_2404.jpeg

Edited by golferguy2727
Typos

Titleist T300 (2022) 5-PW, W48, W53 plus Taylormade Full Face 56 SW 

Current  driver Titleist TSi3

Hybrids Titleist 818 19 H2 23 H2

Gamer Putter Nike Method Matters B1-07

Ball Titleist Tour Speed / Taylormade Tour Response

Bag is Titleist Linksmaster 

Pushcart is Kaddey

Rangefinder is Voice Caddie SL2

Shotscope club tags 

I've had a Shot Scope H4 (as part of the Pro XL+ system) for about a year.  I wear the H4 on my belt using a magnetic clip.  The tags for each club are RF and do not require batteries.  For roughly the price of a Arccos annual membership, you can purchase the H4 and get their free analytic dashboard with shots gained analysis for various handicaps.   As a back up, I do also take basic statistics on my scorecard (fairways hit, number of putts, penalties) in case I accidentally miss tagging a shot.  For some reason, I seem to forget tagging my club when in a bunker.  Maybe I'm thinking too much about how bad I'm going to hit out of it!?

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

I'm a confirmed  Shotscope user (and dissatisfied ARRCOS user) as well. I used the V3 for 2+ yrs and most recently the X5. The latter had a host of issues in the intro phase but the latest firmware solved most  if not all of the issues. With the X5 I also use the scorecard feature and found it to be very reliable. I still keep a paper card but have found it redundant, plus the X5 will give me an ongoing tally of my score at a quick glance.  

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

4 hours ago, Golf2Much said:

I've had a Shot Scope H4 (as part of the Pro XL+ system) for about a year.  I wear the H4 on my belt using a magnetic clip.  The tags for each club are RF and do not require batteries.  For roughly the price of a Arccos annual membership, you can purchase the H4 and get their free analytic dashboard with shots gained analysis for various handicaps.   As a back up, I do also take basic statistics on my scorecard (fairways hit, number of putts, penalties) in case I accidentally miss tagging a shot.  For some reason, I seem to forget tagging my club when in a bunker.  Maybe I'm thinking too much about how bad I'm going to hit out of it!?

Or maybe thinking how it sounds when it goes in from the bunker 👍

Titleist T300 (2022) 5-PW, W48, W53 plus Taylormade Full Face 56 SW 

Current  driver Titleist TSi3

Hybrids Titleist 818 19 H2 23 H2

Gamer Putter Nike Method Matters B1-07

Ball Titleist Tour Speed / Taylormade Tour Response

Bag is Titleist Linksmaster 

Pushcart is Kaddey

Rangefinder is Voice Caddie SL2

Shotscope club tags 

On 6/20/2023 at 1:10 PM, NeilChristensen said:

My ultimate goal is a solution that provides shot-tracking capability, in-round AI caddie advice, and post-round analytics preferably using strokes gained metrics.

Arccos is the only platform that offers AI caddie advice. The 2nd generation of Link does a better job of detecting full shots but misses chips & putts frequently. I tried the system because it came with my Ping G425 irons. Arccos provided the additional sensors & hardware at a reduced price. Software? Full price (despite the fact I can't play 3-5 months of a year in Indiana. Well, I could.....🥶  The Android Arccos app has been junk, in my opinion, and the Customer Service isn't much better. 

ShotScope provides post-round analytics & Strokes Gained metrics. I have been a supporter since their introduction in the US. Purchased an X5 this past off-season but have yet to try it due to an upcoming wedding.  As @tony@CIC wrote, the intro was bumpy but things seemed to have improved & donning it will be like playing with an ol' friend...in a nice, shiny Samsung-look-alike body 😍 See previous Android allegiance above & don't judge me please 😬

Good luck! Finding a system that does it all flawlessly is a unicorn that would require rivals to play nice 🙄

:callaway-small: Epic Flash

:cobra-small: King F8 3W

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Max 7W

:ping-small: G425 4i-PW

:cleveland-small: CBX2 50/54/58

:bettinardi-small: Inovai 6.0

:taylormade-small: Tour Response or :wilson_staff_small: Triad (both thanks to MGS testing) 

Ive tried Grint, 18birdies, and other phone apps, but always disliked having to manually enter my club and keep the phone in my pocket. The GPS features and hole overviews were nice, but not worth the hassles. 

i switched to Shotscope V3 last year and have loved it! It doesn’t do everything I want - hole overview being the main one - but it has always recorded my shots perfectly and the software is easy to make edits with on phone or computer. The data is great, and the price can’t be beat for the feature set. 

I believe new X5 solves some of my complaints, but was hesitant to purchase after hearing issues from early adopters. Now that those seem sorted, I’ll probably make a purchase next time they are on sale. 

In my :ping-small: Hoofer:

:ping-small: G410 LST 10.5* - Kai'Li White 60 X-flex

:nike-small: VRS Covert 3W 15* - Kuro Kage 65 S-flex

:titelist-small:  T200 4-GW, DG X100 Tour Issue - Tester

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth 54.12 SS & 58.10 SS

:ping-small:  Zing 2 LW - 60*

:ping-small:  Anser 2

11 hours ago, Tarheelvolvo said:

Ive tried Grint, 18birdies, and other phone apps, but always disliked having to manually enter my club and keep the phone in my pocket. The GPS features and hole overviews were nice, but not worth the hassles. 

i switched to Shotscope V3 last year and have loved it! It doesn’t do everything I want - hole overview being the main one - but it has always recorded my shots perfectly and the software is easy to make edits with on phone or computer. The data is great, and the price can’t be beat for the feature set. 

I believe new X5 solves some of my complaints, but was hesitant to purchase after hearing issues from early adopters. Now that those seem sorted, I’ll probably make a purchase next time they are on sale. 

I agree with what Tarheelvovlo says about the apps and having to have your phone in your pocket.

Edited by Paul Hedrick
  • Bag             1590477705_SunMountain.png.3391233ea391e8b6fde951d09bc76f6b.png  C130, 14 way Cart Bag
  • Driver         Titleist2.png.8b09d3ee0000870a77d83dce357a0efd.png       TSR1
  • Fairway.      635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png      Halo XL Hy-Wood 4+
  • Fairway      default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg                GBB Epic 5
  • Hybrid        default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg                Epic Flash 3H
  • Irons          635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png         Launcher HB, 4 through PW
  • Wedges     635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png         CBX2 - 54 degree, CBX Zipcore 52 degree
  • Putter        Seemore3.jpg.1cb64ec83d2511c1ee1a386340a04d4e.jpg       Seemore Si1 Putter
  • Ball            Titleist2.png.8b09d3ee0000870a77d83dce357a0efd.png        Titleist pro v1x
  • Other        2000014788_ArccosSig.jpg.af5434230b907b708eb89aebd4125f95.jpg

It really seems like these golf apps need to expose themselves to the NFC readers in our phones and allow us to use generic nfc tags on our clubs. 

WITB:

2 hours ago, hbetts said:

It really seems like these golf apps need to expose themselves to the NFC readers in our phones and allow us to use generic nfc tags on our clubs. 

Whoa there fella, that’s dangerous talk! Don’t you know “free” is a four letter word around here! 🤣

But seriously, that would make a ton of sense for Grint, 18birdies, etc… to have users buy, or repurpose existing tags (if possible) and use their software to keep track of shots and scores… per chance to dream…

In my :ping-small: Hoofer:

:ping-small: G410 LST 10.5* - Kai'Li White 60 X-flex

:nike-small: VRS Covert 3W 15* - Kuro Kage 65 S-flex

:titelist-small:  T200 4-GW, DG X100 Tour Issue - Tester

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth 54.12 SS & 58.10 SS

:ping-small:  Zing 2 LW - 60*

:ping-small:  Anser 2

2 hours ago, hbetts said:

If they did that, they could not sell you their tags!  LOL

• Bag             1590477705_SunMountain.png.3391233ea391e8b6fde951d09bc76f6b.png  C130, 14 way Cart Bag
  • Driver         Titleist2.png.8b09d3ee0000870a77d83dce357a0efd.png       TSR1
  • Fairway.      635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png      Halo XL Hy-Wood 4+
  • Fairway      default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg                GBB Epic 5
  • Hybrid        default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg                Epic Flash 3H
  • Irons          635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png         Launcher HB, 4 through PW
  • Wedges     635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png         CBX2 - 54 degree, CBX Zipcore 52 degree
  • Putter        Seemore3.jpg.1cb64ec83d2511c1ee1a386340a04d4e.jpg       Seemore Si1 Putter
  • Ball            Titleist2.png.8b09d3ee0000870a77d83dce357a0efd.png        Titleist pro v1x
  • Other        2000014788_ArccosSig.jpg.af5434230b907b708eb89aebd4125f95.jpg

16 minutes ago, Paul Hedrick said:

If they did that, they could not sell you their tags!  LOL

Most of them don’t even have their own tags. And they don’t seem to be in any hurry to put them out either. 

I’m and extremely beginner coder but I’m going to play around with making a very basic app to do this.

WITB:

I am an Arccos user. I am finding the new upgraded Apple Watch Arccos app is very good.  

The shot misses that occurred frequently with the Link or Phone are virtually non existent with the Apple Watch.  It very occasionally misses a soft wedge, but most times it picks it up.  Also the false / phantom putts are no longer a problem with the watch which I assume uses putter movement measurements more accurately.

There is no need to have the phone close to you and so at some exclusive private courses I leave it in the bag and in a zipped pocket after turning it on.  So it works even when courses do not allow on course cell phone use.  The watch gives you good yardages and also shows you the calculations for their virtual distances too.  The watch also gives you distance hit with each shot, etc. 

Interestingly, the app now shows distances on the opening iPhone lock screen if you have the widget.  It’s really much more user friendly now.

The major area of improvement that would make this even better is fine tuning the accuracy of pin location when you hit the button on the watch. It can still be off by quite a bit.  

:titelist-small:  TSR 3  9.0  Autoflex 405x - Official Tester 2024

:titelist-small:  TSi 3  15.0 GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:ping-small: Utility 2 Iron 18.0 - Nippon NS Pro 650GH Stiff /  :titelist-small: TS3  21 Hybrid Tensei AV Blue 65 HY Stiff

:Takomo:  4 - 9 101T Irons - KBS Tour Lite Stiff - Official Tester 2023

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 46 F - 10 BV105 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 52 F - 12 Nippon NS Pro 950 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey Forged (Japan) 56 M - 10  DG S200

:taylormade-small: MG3 60 - 12 - Nippon NS Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff

image.gif.2bc8a27613a423a3721fd3b955802132.gif  Champions Choice Newport 2+ Button Back - 35”  /  Pistolini Plus

:srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

:titelist-small: Players 4 bag  image.png.939559f85230fe16347ecf2765438915.png    :redrooster:

:Arccos: Official Tester - 2021 & Current Club Sensor User

Currently in the Shotscope ecospace being a former arccos user.

I own both the H4 and X5. I don't usually like wearing watches so I use the H4 those times but the X5 makes a better user experience having all the info on your wrist and not having to tag your clubs every time. I have not had any issues with missing shot after the round and post round editing is relatively painless.

With arccos it was a hit and miss with shots and felt like i did more post round editing. I had the link and used apple watch and watch was more friendlier unfortunately it still missed shots and felt like phone in pocket was the most full proof way.

I got this give it up to arccos in this respect is that their data is way more encompassing with details. For the data driven player arccos is immense full of data and analytics. But I did not want a subscription for it and feeling like I had to use and play to get my money's worth. The caddie feature is nice but I always took that with a grain of salt but like i said their data is feature rich.

I haven't recently tried the apps that came out with shot tracking as it has been a few years since I tried those apps but seeing they just came out with those new features expect them to be very buggy initially. 

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Ai Smoke  9*  :Fuji: Ventus TR Black 6X 45.25"

FW: :taylormade-small: BRNR mini Driver 13.5*  Hzrdus Blue 70g 6.5 tipped 1"

Utility:  :callaway-logo-1: UW 21*  Hzrdus black 80g 6.5

Irons :   :srixon-small: ZX Utility 4 23* MCA Diamana Thump 100x

:srixon-small: Z785 5-PW Nippon Modus 120x

Wedges:  :callaway-logo-1: TCB AW 50* Nippon Modus 120x

:cleveland-small: zipcore 55* DG Wedge Spinner

:vokey-small: Vokey Wedgeworks T grind 60*  REV 2.0

Putter:  :odyssey-small: White Hot Versa 3T 

BB8W MCA MMT Putter shaft

Try the Swing U app. With premium, you can track club distances, has club recommendations based upon your tracked shots. You can use Versus which resilts in SG numbers and app recommendations for improvement. There are also training videos included.

If I remember correctly, it's $72 a year. I've been using it for several years and have over 300 rounds stored.

Added) I've used Aarcos, shotscope v3, grint, most apps available and this is what remains.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

On 6/20/2023 at 10:10 AM, NeilChristensen said:

I've been an Arccos user for almost three years and I've come to rely on the advanced analytics after the round to help me see where I'm improving or getting worse. While I love the data and the UX of the Arccos app, I've started to get really frustrated by the number of shots it misses (I'm using the Link device to detect shots) as well as the really poor AI recommendations the app makes.

So I decided to pick up the Garmin S70, which I used for a couple of weeks before realizing it was not what I wanted either. My opinion is that it's really great during the round, and gives good info including slope, barometric data, etc., but after the round it leaves a lot to be desired from a data standpoint. The only software option currently available to use the data collected by the watch is the Garmin Golf app, which is essentially just a digital scorecard. It does track club distances but that's about it. There is little to no analytics to help you improve as a golfer.

I just ordered an Apple Watch SE and am going to try some apps like The Grint, Golfshot, 18 Birdies, and PAR Golf as soon as it arrives. Has anybody else gone on this journey before me and has some advice or knowledge to pass on?

MGS is doing a tester wanted for Swing U Pro membership, I think it just closed though. That is the one that I have used for the past 18 months. It hits all the marks on your ultimate goals list albeit in a paid subscription. They are working on improving the apple watch inputs to match their strokes gained calculations. One thing that's pretty interesting about SwingU is that you track your lie more than if you hit the fairway or not; for example off the tee I hit it in the rough but it's a clean lie with a clean shot to the green, I would log that as a good lie versus just a missed FIR. They also do a "strokes gained against", for context, I'm currently a 13.0 handicap and looking to get to a 6-9 handicap this year. So it'll give me my stats versus a typical 6-9 handicap, not versus scratch which I think is a better metric for goal setting. I think they do a free trial, so it may be worth a try for you. I attached a couple pics of post round metrics from my last outing with SwingU for reference. I have also used the Grint and 18 birdies prior to, both good apps. The social element on the Grint and 18 Birdies can be really cool, meet some new golfers in your area etc.  18 Birdies was my go-to for a long while especially the in-app games, skins, wolf, etc., and playing rounds with friends; their UI is polished and works seamlessly with the apple watch. You'll have some good options either way, but 18 Birdies and SwingU have been the best for me.  Good Luck! 

20230703_185817020_iOS.png

IMG_2367.PNG

IMG_2368.PNG

IMG_2369.PNG

IMG_2370.PNG

Driver:    :callaway-small: Paradym Ai Smoke MAX Driver w/ fujikura ventus blue 6-series 
Fairway:   :cobra-small: King F8 3 wood  
Hybrids:   :cobra-small: King F9 3 hybrid 19.5° Atmos 7s stiff      
Irons:       :mizuno-small:Pro 243 4-PW Nippon Pro Modus Tour 120
Wedges: :Sub70: TAIII Forged Wedge Black 50°, 54°, 58°
Putter:    :Sub70: 004 Mallet w/ SuperStroke Zynergy 5.0

Ball:  Pro Plus (white & drip)

I’m an Arccos user with an Apple Watch.  My round tonight had no missed shots.  I do have the latest P3 putter sensor which I just got a couple months ago.  The only interaction I had tonight with Arccos was marking putts from the fringe as chips and the pin locations.  Both with my watch as I was walking off the green.  I do concede though that it’s not a perfect system and I do have the occasional missed shot that I have to add via the phone app. The thing that bugs me most about the Arccos system is the web page interface.  I think with all the data they collect, it could be much better.

I’m not a big fan of the subscription price, but it did help to buy myself a gift certificate during a 20% off sale around Christmas!

• :ping-small: G425 Max driver
  • :taylormade-small: BRNR 2.0 mini driver
  • :ping-small: G425 SFT 3 wood
  • :ping-small: G425 3 and 5 hybrid
  • :callaway-small:  B21 irons 6-PW
  • :cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 48 and CBX2 52/58 Wedges
  • :odyssey-small: 2 ball Ten Tour lined
  • :bridgestone-small:Tour BX ball
  • :Arccos: Arccos Caddie with Apple Watch
  • :footjoy-small: Hyperflex shoes
  • :BagBoy: Chiller Hybrid Stand Bag
  • 4 weeks later...

This conversation has been eye opening. I've been using mainly free apps to track my shots and stats, GolfShot and Grint. I've been mostly happy with Grint but after a round, my tracked shots disappear. It's frustrating. Also would like something that isn't completely manual. I was really considering Arccos but after reading everyone's comments, I feel like that is a hard pass. I'm an Android guy so those who have argued for the improved shot detection with an Apple watch wouldn't help my cause. I am considering the Connex Shot Scope. Not crazy about the idea of having to manual read the NFC tag for every shot but better than what I'm doing now and the price point with a free app is hard to beat. I also always have my phone on me so that shouldn't be a problem amd I usually pull it out before a shot to look at the yardage so adding one more step might not be too bad.

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Max LS

3 Wood: :PXG: Gen 5 0311XF 

Hybrid: :PXG: Gen 5 0311 XF 22 degree

Irons: :PXG: 2022 XCOR2 0211 5-GW

Wedges: :taylormade-small: R Series 54° & 60°

Putter: :odyssey-small:

2023 Test: ⌚Garmin Approach S70 47mm

On 7/3/2023 at 12:11 PM, Stereotype said:

MGS is doing a tester wanted for Swing U Pro membership, I think it just closed though. That is the one that I have used for the past 18 months. It hits all the marks on your ultimate goals list albeit in a paid subscription. They are working on improving the apple watch inputs to match their strokes gained calculations. One thing that's pretty interesting about SwingU is that you track your lie more than if you hit the fairway or not; for example off the tee I hit it in the rough but it's a clean lie with a clean shot to the green, I would log that as a good lie versus just a missed FIR. They also do a "strokes gained against", for context, I'm currently a 13.0 handicap and looking to get to a 6-9 handicap this year. So it'll give me my stats versus a typical 6-9 handicap, not versus scratch which I think is a better metric for goal setting. I think they do a free trial, so it may be worth a try for you. I attached a couple pics of post round metrics from my last outing with SwingU for reference. I have also used the Grint and 18 birdies prior to, both good apps. The social element on the Grint and 18 Birdies can be really cool, meet some new golfers in your area etc.  18 Birdies was my go-to for a long while especially the in-app games, skins, wolf, etc., and playing rounds with friends; their UI is polished and works seamlessly with the apple watch. You'll have some good options either way, but 18 Birdies and SwingU have been the best for me.  Good Luck! 

20230703_185817020_iOS.png

IMG_2367.PNG

IMG_2368.PNG

IMG_2369.PNG

IMG_2370.PNG

These are some really cool metrics! Thanks for sharing. I might have to look into SwingU myself.

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Max LS

3 Wood: :PXG: Gen 5 0311XF 

Hybrid: :PXG: Gen 5 0311 XF 22 degree

Irons: :PXG: 2022 XCOR2 0211 5-GW

Wedges: :taylormade-small: R Series 54° & 60°

Putter: :odyssey-small:

2023 Test: ⌚Garmin Approach S70 47mm

All these stats and graphs are quite impressive but what I found that helps my game is simple keeping track of fairways hit, greens hit, and number of putts. Getting too involved with stats can get you to over analyze everything and really mess up your game. Keeping it simple and just shoot your best score time and by the end of the season you will know where you stand.

Driver: Ping G430 SFT 10.5 at the Flat Setting

Fairway Woods: Ping SFT G425 3-5

Hybrid   Ping G410 4H

Irons     Ping G425 5-LW

Putter:  Ping Anser 2           

Ball:      Titleist Tour Speed/AVX

Bag:      Titleist

All shafts are Ping's CB Alta, Regular in Woods and Hybrids, Stiff in the irons ( I just like these shafts and never saw a reason to look for 

others)

I picked up the ShotScope H4 and am really excited about testing it out and seeing how well it does or doesn't track shots. I hear, read, and watch great things about the ShotScope functionality and how it is great at getting shots. Hopefully it'll work for me.

I also have a Galaxy Watch 5 Golf Edition that comes with a lifetime subscription to the Smart Caddie / GolfBuddy GPS app that I hope to also test out. Has anyone used the Smart Caddie / GolfBuddy GPS system? I'd be curious to hear thoughts on details from the GPS to the stat tracking.

Driver: :mizuno-small: STMax 230 10.5*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Fairways: :Sub70: 949x 3w / 5w, 15* / 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Hybrids: :Sub70: 939x 4h, 21*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 80g Hybrid
Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: S23, 54* & 60*, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter:
Maltby_Logo.jpg.7f7f2f102dcb7b289e419805910e4aab.jpg Moment X Tour @ 35" & 71*, Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, White/Red
Ball: :maxfli: Tour CG
Technology:
VortexGolf_Logo.jpg.2ad1215c7b1aa2ccf8d062a73bc72142.jpg Anarch Rangefinder, :ShotScope: V5 w/ Tags Shot Tracking.

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/65161-vortex-optics-rangefinders-2024-member-test/?do=findComment&comment=1089247

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/classifieds/ - DON'T FORGET ABOUT THE CLASSIFIEDS!!!!

I originally started trying some apps on my phone for shot tracking (can't remember which apps) but found the GPS accuracy on the phone was pretty horrible. 

Then tried using the Microsoft Band which used Taylormade's Myroundpro app for post round shot tracking.  The Band also had horrible accuracy though.  

Then bought a Garmin S20.  Found the GPS accurate and shot tracking and editing easy enough but like the OP said, it lacked data analysis features.

Then went to the Shot Scope V3.  It was basically everything I wanted except the accuracy around the greens.  The shot tracking was way off on where I putted.  I basically had to manually edit every putt after the round.

Lastly, got the Shot Scope X5.  I think the GPS is more accurate than the V3.  Only need to manually edit a few putts per round.  Loving the X5.  Best subscription-free option in my opinion.

• DR: Ping G425 Max 10.5*
  • 3H-5H: XXIO X (2018)
  • Irons 6-PW: Mizuno JPX923 Hot Metal
  • Wedges: Mizuno S23 50*, 54*, 58*
  • Putter: MLA Tour Classic
  • Rangefinder: Shot Scope X5/L1
2 hours ago, Golf Fever said:

I originally started trying some apps on my phone for shot tracking (can't remember which apps) but found the GPS accuracy on the phone was pretty horrible. 

Then tried using the Microsoft Band which used Taylormade's Myroundpro app for post round shot tracking.  The Band also had horrible accuracy though.  

Then bought a Garmin S20.  Found the GPS accurate and shot tracking and editing easy enough but like the OP said, it lacked data analysis features.

Then went to the Shot Scope V3.  It was basically everything I wanted except the accuracy around the greens.  The shot tracking was way off on where I putted.  I basically had to manually edit every putt after the round.

Lastly, got the Shot Scope X5.  I think the GPS is more accurate than the V3.  Only need to manually edit a few putts per round.  Loving the X5.  Best subscription-free option in my opinion.

The accuracy of GPS on your devices isn't related to the devices, but what is available at the commercial level.  Making it more accurate would impact the size of the devices. 

https://www.gps.gov/systems/gps/performance/accuracy

The difficulty with putting is that you move too fast to allow the GPS to catch up.  Have you ever noticed that when you first get to a location,  you see the GPS distance adjusting for about  10 seconds before it settles on a distance. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG