Testers Wanted: Precision Pro Titan Elite Rangefinder ×

Not Chasing Scratch...Just Chasing a Semi Decent Reliable Game...How Do I Get There

16 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

On the subject of the POD, did you finish t and enjoy all the seasons?   I know Russ mentioned he gave up after season 3. 

I just listened to the episode where they went to TPI for the first time and met with Corey and Allan, two guys I deal with regularly at Titleist for the forum.  I had been there just a couple months before them.   I was scheduled to go back the week or two after they were there, but then COVID hit and everything changed.  

Yes I did finish (am caught up) and I enjoy their show a lot. I will say that there is some repetitive aspect to it at times like where they say to each other "this is the time we stick to our diets" or something along those lines.  However, they recognize that and address it often. Right now their current episodes are based around their mental game and that has been a recurring theme for a couple seasons now but they talk about that and why they feel differently this time or how they will attack it differently.  That may be annoying to some, but I find it relatable because how often do I wind back up square one like they seemingly do - all the time and not just in golf.  Their show helps me keep my own game in perspective and grounded.

Overall, I think the chase and drive to be the entertaining part of their podcast. Their humor may not be for everyone and can definitely sidetrack some conversation but again, I find that more relatable.  And while I don't know them personally, compared to many other influencers or media people in the golf space, I do feel like they have a more "average joe" situation - family, career, kids, responsibility.  I enjoy a lot of the content creators in the space but I can't relate to the guys that play Pebble one week and are Banff the next.

As far as their more serious content like with Titleist or Dr. Jay or other various professional guests, I think those are great and they have a unique spin.  It is a kind of look behind the veil that I don't have access to - especially the TPI stuff.  If you enjoyed that part of it, I know they also put some videos on youtube and I believe (could be wrong) their most recent one is a putting lesson at TPI. I think their previous TPI fittings/lessons may also be up there. I haven't watched but I do plan to.  And I can't tell you off the top of my head which podcast episodes they are - but they do have multiple at TPI. I want to say 2 or 3 seasons they've had an episode or 2 about Titleist fittings/experiences.

Edited by Dooby

image.png.04da3f72ef9e45c374a6ced580ad076e.png Driver: Aerojet LS (9.0)

image.png.47d8335a6ed74f5ce323f36dde1e64f5.pngBRNR Mini Driver (13.5)

default_callaway-small.jpg.4e22e166ebf0a736dfc257554f147efe.jpg Ai Smoke Max 5 Wood (18) or Apex X Forged Utility 2 iron (18)

image.png.035d01cabf89e6027a4fb2d6107c1cfc.png Pro 225 (4-PW)

default_vokey-small.gif.7343a5ce0d53f6f6b215377d00e5563f.gif Wedges: 52|08F , 56|12D , 60|10S , SM9 Jet Black

photo-203973.jpg.72b2eb1ed527f5bfef6c6f39d952c2f0.jpg Putter: 2015 Queen B 6

Ball: Still Searching for My Perfect Gamer

Previously Tested: BirdieBall 2-In-1 Putting/Hitting Mat

1 hour ago, Preeway said:

Don't ever worry about your score compared to others. Let your game develop and stay confident in what you do

This, this , and more this. I started playing regularly again 4 years ago after about an 8 year hiatus due to life getting in the way lol. Stated a new job and got back into it with a few coworkers who regularly score in the mid to low 70s. Her I come, someone who never cracked into the 70s even when I was younger and playing regularly, getting all out of sorts trying to keep up with these guys. Needless to say I was constantly frustrated, even when I was dipping into the 80s regularly. It took me a while and a lot of ego swallowing to realize I was never going to get to their level by “trying” to get to their level. I just embraced my game, tried to improve my game, and focused only on my game. And by doing that my game improved. I am still not quite at that level, but I am perfectly fine playing on a regular basis with those guys, building on my own improvements and just enjoying the game as much as I can. 

• PING G430 LST 10.5 driver
  • Tour Edge Exotics EXS 220 3w
  • PING G400 5w
  • Cobra Speedzone 3h
  • Srixon z585 irons 5-AW
  • Cleveland CBX2 52
  • Cleveland CBX 56
  • PING Heppler Anser 2 putter

7 minutes ago, ccostel18 said:

This, this , and more this. I started playing regularly again 4 years ago after about an 8 year hiatus due to life getting in the way lol. Stated a new job and got back into it with a few coworkers who regularly score in the mid to low 70s. Her I come, someone who never cracked into the 70s even when I was younger and playing regularly, getting all out of sorts trying to keep up with these guys. Needless to say I was constantly frustrated, even when I was dipping into the 80s regularly. It took me a while and a lot of ego swallowing to realize I was never going to get to their level by “trying” to get to their level. I just embraced my game, tried to improve my game, and focused only on my game. And by doing that my game improved. I am still not quite at that level, but I am perfectly fine playing on a regular basis with those guys, building on my own improvements and just enjoying the game as much as I can. 

They do say one of the best things you can do is play with people better than you. Luckily for me it’s easy to find folks better than me. 

default_callaway-small.jpg.4e22e166ebf0a736dfc257554f147efe.jpg Ai Smoke Max 5 Wood (18) or Apex X Forged Utility 2 iron (18)

default_vokey-small.gif.7343a5ce0d53f6f6b215377d00e5563f.gif Wedges: 52|08F , 56|12D , 60|10S , SM9 Jet Black

13 minutes ago, Dooby said:

They do say one of the best things you can do is play with people better than you. Luckily for me it’s easy to find folks better than me. 

I play semi regularly with a true single digit handicap, and one I play with regularly who is is high single digit.  

So same lol.  Dont wanna say it forces me to be better, but it definitely ups my game.

Stack Referral code

Driver - Sim2Max 10.5° (set at 9*) UST Helium shaft

3W - StealthHL 16.5°

3h - Sim2max 19°

irons - Sim2OS kbsmax85mt steel shafts reg flex 5i-Aw

wedgies - Jaws MD5 52°-10° (Bounce) S Grind

Jaws MD5 56°-12° (Bounce) W Grind

Putter - Mizuno OMOI Type II

VENTUS Velocore+ review

Final Sugar "Pure" Golf Balls Review

38 minutes ago, Dooby said:

It definitely gives me the drive to keep getting better. However, I stopped comparing myself to them and now use their game as tool to help me improve rather than a comparison. The competitive side of me still creeps in and sometimes drives me nuts though. 

• PING G430 LST 10.5 driver
  • Tour Edge Exotics EXS 220 3w
  • PING G400 5w
  • Cobra Speedzone 3h
  • Srixon z585 irons 5-AW
  • Cleveland CBX2 52
  • Cleveland CBX 56
  • PING Heppler Anser 2 putter

On 7/17/2023 at 1:10 PM, ccostel18 said:

It definitely gives me the drive to keep getting better. However, I stopped comparing myself to them and now use their game as tool to help me improve rather than a comparison. The competitive side of me still creeps in and sometimes drives me nuts though. 

I also like getting tips on the course from guys who are close to scratch.   I find they are usually spot on with their advise and give me something to think about or practice on the range the next time I am out practicing. 
I agree there is nothing that gets you motivated than watching guys hit lasers 300 yards and hit the green in two on a par 5 while making it look effortless. 

:titelist-small:  TSR 3   9.0  GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:titelist-small:  TSi 3  15.0 GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:ping-small: Utility 2 Iron 18.0 - Nippon NS Pro 650GH Stiff /  :titelist-small: TS3  21 Hybrid Tensei AV Blue 65 HY Stiff

:Takomo:  5 - 9 101T Irons - KBS Tour Lite Stiff - Official Tester 2023

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 46 F - 10 BV105

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 52 F - 12 Nippon NS Pro 950 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey Forged 56 M - 10  DG S200

:taylormade-small: MG3 60 - 12 - Nippon NS Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff

image.gif.2bc8a27613a423a3721fd3b955802132.gif  Scotty Special Select - Squareback 2 - 35”  / Super Stroke Slim 3.0

:srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

:titelist-small: Players 4 bag  image.png.939559f85230fe16347ecf2765438915.png    :redrooster:

:Arccos: Official Tester - 2021 & Current MCC Plus 4 Sensor / Club Sensor User

On 7/17/2023 at 1:14 PM, Dooby said:

Yes I did finish (am caught up) and I enjoy their show a lot. I will say that there is some repetitive aspect to it at times like where they say to each other "this is the time we stick to our diets" or something along those lines.  However, they recognize that and address it often. Right now their current episodes are based around their mental game and that has been a recurring theme for a couple seasons now but they talk about that and why they feel differently this time or how they will attack it differently.  That may be annoying to some, but I find it relatable because how often do I wind back up square one like they seemingly do - all the time and not just in golf.  Their show helps me keep my own game in perspective and grounded.

Overall, I think the chase and drive to be the entertaining part of their podcast. Their humor may not be for everyone and can definitely sidetrack some conversation but again, I find that more relatable.  And while I don't know them personally, compared to many other influencers or media people in the golf space, I do feel like they have a more "average joe" situation - family, career, kids, responsibility.  I enjoy a lot of the content creators in the space but I can't relate to the guys that play Pebble one week and are Banff the next.

As far as their more serious content like with Titleist or Dr. Jay or other various professional guests, I think those are great and they have a unique spin.  It is a kind of look behind the veil that I don't have access to - especially the TPI stuff.  If you enjoyed that part of it, I know they also put some videos on youtube and I believe (could be wrong) their most recent one is a putting lesson at TPI. I think their previous TPI fittings/lessons may also be up there. I haven't watched but I do plan to.  And I can't tell you off the top of my head which podcast episodes they are - but they do have multiple at TPI. I want to say 2 or 3 seasons they've had an episode or 2 about Titleist fittings/experiences.

Cool, that sounds good.  I'm about 2/3 through Season 3 now.   Where they are about 3 months post the start of COVID.  I will say it was interesting listening to that and hearing them talk about the challenges of COVID and how it was affecting them being able to play, and at one point I think they said.   This time next year when all is back to normal.   I just kind of laughed and said, yeah not quite...ha   So they had just announced the trip to Ireland in the summer of 2021.   Dont' know if it came off or not, so don't spoil it for me..LOL    There's something kinda neat about listening to something that is taking place live 3 years ago and not knowing what comes next or how it turns out. 

Yeah, I do kinda think they get way sidetracked, like last night I the episode I heard they spent about 20 minutes of my 45 minute drive home on the cereal argument.  That's funny, I like things like that but at the moment felt 20 minutes of it was a bit much.   Anyway, I do enjoy it mostly. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

So have some positive things to post about my last 27 holes, all of which took place in the last 24 hours.   I won't go hole by hole shot by shot..ha  But just hit the highlights.

Wed-Played the 9 hole Mens League.  Now this is the league where everyone plays the White Tees, which I know are a bit long fo rme, but I manage.  These tees play to about 6200 yards and a 125 slope.   I shot a 46 which is my lowest of the year in that league.  And one bad break in a bunker turned what really should have been a bogey 6 on a par 5 into an 8, then 3 putting the last two greens, after reaching in regulation for bogeys.   Those three shots could have easily been a 43.   

But I hit the ball very solid, all night with my irons and a few FW that I hit on the longer approaches.  No penalty shot or lost balls, so that helped keep it down.  If you recall in my first post I talked about how my swing just felt horrible, like I didn't know how to swing at all.   Every swing just felt pretty good, whether it looked good or not, it felt like its supposed to to me.  

Today-18 hole Mens League.  So we played the same course, meaning the 9 from last night was our back 9 today.  Except we played from the Gold Tees.  Playing about 5600 and 117.   Shot 47/45  So one shot better on the same side that I played last night, but from probably 300 yards closer.    And that was all undone by another 8 on that same hole.  We will talk in length about that hole in another post.   I'm going to post a google earth picture of it and describe the challenges and welcome any input.    I'm at a lost, I played it safe last night and would have been happy with that bogey  its a 552 yard par 5 from the whites and 539 from the Golds.     Today I tripled it due to hitting what has become known as Roberts Tree among everyone here.   Again more on that latter. 

I didn't feel like I hti the ball as well today and my swing not quite the feeling of a broken lawn chair, wasn't as in sync as last night.   But I fairly pleased I shot around my handicap and managed to get by with only 1 lost ball penalty. 

The few post above me mention mental game, and that is where I tried to improve as well but failed.  I went into the two final holes last night a short par 4 and a flip wedge par 3, thinking two pars would still give me 44 despite that 8.    Worst thing I could have done I know.     And I kinda did the same thing today. 

When I catch myself thinking ahead, I 'll stop whatever I'm doing try to clear my head and think about the shot I'm about to hit.    I gotta get better at that. 

But overall in the last 24 hours, two rounds that  show some progress, I would have been happier if the 46 was 44 and the 92 was 88.   But that will come! 

30 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

So have some positive things to post about my last 27 holes, all of which took place in the last 24 hours.   I won't go hole by hole shot by shot..ha  But just hit the highlights.

Wed-Played the 9 hole Mens League.  Now this is the league where everyone plays the White Tees, which I know are a bit long fo rme, but I manage.  These tees play to about 6200 yards and a 125 slope.   I shot a 46 which is my lowest of the year in that league.  And one bad break in a bunker turned what really should have been a bogey 6 on a par 5 into an 8, then 3 putting the last two greens, after reaching in regulation for bogeys.   Those three shots could have easily been a 43.   

But I hit the ball very solid, all night with my irons and a few FW that I hit on the longer approaches.  No penalty shot or lost balls, so that helped keep it down.  If you recall in my first post I talked about how my swing just felt horrible, like I didn't know how to swing at all.   Every swing just felt pretty good, whether it looked good or not, it felt like its supposed to to me.  

Today-18 hole Mens League.  So we played the same course, meaning the 9 from last night was our back 9 today.  Except we played from the Gold Tees.  Playing about 5600 and 117.   Shot 47/45  So one shot better on the same side that I played last night, but from probably 300 yards closer.    And that was all undone by another 8 on that same hole.  We will talk in length about that hole in another post.   I'm going to post a google earth picture of it and describe the challenges and welcome any input.    I'm at a lost, I played it safe last night and would have been happy with that bogey  its a 552 yard par 5 from the whites and 539 from the Golds.     Today I tripled it due to hitting what has become known as Roberts Tree among everyone here.   Again more on that latter. 

I didn't feel like I hti the ball as well today and my swing not quite the feeling of a broken lawn chair, wasn't as in sync as last night.   But I fairly pleased I shot around my handicap and managed to get by with only 1 lost ball penalty. 

The few post above me mention mental game, and that is where I tried to improve as well but failed.  I went into the two final holes last night a short par 4 and a flip wedge par 3, thinking two pars would still give me 44 despite that 8.    Worst thing I could have done I know.     And I kinda did the same thing today. 

When I catch myself thinking ahead, I 'll stop whatever I'm doing try to clear my head and think about the shot I'm about to hit.    I gotta get better at that. 

But overall in the last 24 hours, two rounds that  show some progress, I would have been happier if the 46 was 44 and the 92 was 88.   But that will come! 

Count your footsteps, no I am serious. A new trick for me (only 2 weeks in) but it seems to be effective. When I find myself thinking about something I shouldn't, I will just count my steps. Usually in groups of 10 or 15. Takes about 3 groups but is a quick way to get me back to the present. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

Just a comment on getting more consistent. 1- use the same ball, proV, chrome soft , tp5, ext. find one with a feel you like for putting and chipping.  It will always be consistent. 
2 don’t hit the “anyway” shot. ( maybe I should hit the 7 instead of 8. , no I’ll make it work, .

3 try not to follow a bad shot with another. I try not to hit 2 bad ones in a row. Strokes add up really fast when you do that.  Sometimes you just need to take your medicine 😁. Try to work on your tempo. Swing easy and just be happy with the extra distance. After a mid-hit or bad one embrace the challenge of now trying to make the lowest score.  Enjoy 

M6 driver, Harrison 2.5 c 6200 boron shaft. Irons Taylormade p770 kbs$ shaft, sim 3 wood and rescue. Blue ventus shaft, Cobra Bobby Grace Lo-Pro putter sugar ball

2 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Cool, that sounds good.  I'm about 2/3 through Season 3 now.   Where they are about 3 months post the start of COVID.  I will say it was interesting listening to that and hearing them talk about the challenges of COVID and how it was affecting them being able to play, and at one point I think they said.   This time next year when all is back to normal.   I just kind of laughed and said, yeah not quite...ha   So they had just announced the trip to Ireland in the summer of 2021.   Dont' know if it came off or not, so don't spoil it for me..LOL    There's something kinda neat about listening to something that is taking place live 3 years ago and not knowing what comes next or how it turns out. 

Yeah, I do kinda think they get way sidetracked, like last night I the episode I heard they spent about 20 minutes of my 45 minute drive home on the cereal argument.  That's funny, I like things like that but at the moment felt 20 minutes of it was a bit much.   Anyway, I do enjoy it mostly. 

Yeah I remember that same feeling as far as Covid and their discussions. And yeah they have tangents that maybe last too long but sometimes I’m in the right mood where I’m just enjoying it and laughing along too. All depends what I’m listening for that day. Regardless, huge fan of the show and think they put out something unique that is wildly relatable. 

I dont like a lot of the foreplay stuff, but Frankie and Trent are good dudes.

Frankie did this little series to fix his just abysmal chipping.  I got a LOT out of this series and I didnt even make it all the way through ep2 yet.

A lot of really really good stuff here about the mental aspect of the game.

Seriously I put what I learned from the first 2 episodes into practice my next round and shot a personal best +1 over in my mens league.  Id NEVER gotten that close to even ever.

Really changed my approach.

Edited by skraeling

Stack Referral code

Driver - Sim2Max 10.5° (set at 9*) UST Helium shaft

3W - StealthHL 16.5°

3h - Sim2max 19°

irons - Sim2OS kbsmax85mt steel shafts reg flex 5i-Aw

wedgies - Jaws MD5 52°-10° (Bounce) S Grind

Jaws MD5 56°-12° (Bounce) W Grind

Putter - Mizuno OMOI Type II

VENTUS Velocore+ review

Final Sugar "Pure" Golf Balls Review

16 hours ago, The Jimmy said:

Just a comment on getting more consistent. 1- use the same ball, proV, chrome soft , tp5, ext. find one with a feel you like for putting and chipping.  It will always be consistent. 
2 don’t hit the “anyway” shot. ( maybe I should hit the 7 instead of 8. , no I’ll make it work, .

3 try not to follow a bad shot with another. I try not to hit 2 bad ones in a row. Strokes add up really fast when you do that.  Sometimes you just need to take your medicine 😁. Try to work on your tempo. Swing easy and just be happy with the extra distance. After a mid-hit or bad one embrace the challenge of now trying to make the lowest score.  Enjoy 

All good thoughts, thanks.   I actually have exclusively used ProV1 for 6 years now.   I'm a firm believer in two things about it.  It can and DOES help even higher handicaps around the green.  If you're a mid to high cap and not using a Tour Ball of any company, you are losing strokes.   If price isn't an obstacle, then then you should find the "tour" ball you like and stick with it.

NO. 3 I addressed in one of my posts in the middle of this thread, it's something I was definitely guilty of.  But have gotten better since having that discussion with a friend who is a very good player.   In trouble...do what it takes to get back safely.   A few rounds ago, I was only a foot into the tree line, I spent maybe a minute trying to figure out how to hit it out safely.   I realized I couldn't be assured I would get the club back without snagging it on a twig.  So I took an unplayable.   He was watching me silently the whole time and commended me on the decision.   Best to take the 1 stroke medicine right away if there is any doubt on clean contact.   Then risk getting into worse shape and then having to take an unplayable. 

3 hours ago, skraeling said:

I dont like a lot of the foreplay stuff, but Frankie and Trent are good dudes.

Frankie did this little series to fix his just abysmal chipping.  I got a LOT out of this series and I didnt even make it all the way through ep2 yet.

A lot of really really good stuff here about the mental aspect of the game.

Seriously I put what I learned from the first 2 episodes into practice my next round and shot a personal best +1 over in my mens league.  Id NEVER gotten that close to even ever.

Really changed my approach.

15 hours ago, Dooby said:

Yeah I remember that same feeling as far as Covid and their discussions. And yeah they have tangents that maybe last too long but sometimes I’m in the right mood where I’m just enjoying it and laughing along too. All depends what I’m listening for that day. Regardless, huge fan of the show and think they put out something unique that is wildly relatable. 

Yep, as you mentioned earlier they are different than some of the other stuff out there, and they are very good and proud of the fact they have a clean or safe rating on Apple.   That shouldnt' be taken for granted. 

I really like the NLU guys and listen to them regularly.  And i am 100% no prude and have let lose with a profantity at times.  But to me they use it just to be using it too often.   The F word with them seems like it's used just for fun, they have enough inflection and passion in their voices when talking about something that excites or riles them up, they can completely do without it.  And at times it just is so often it takes away from the content they are presenting.   Just MO on that.  I do love their post major round POD coverage though. 

when internet explodes with golf forums , there was just too much info out there and I was overthinking swing

Simple book like Rotella and Zen putting are probably the best to get my score down  as I tend to think too much on the course 

My swing is manageable and dont really think bout it as much as I used too   Putting is another story though, tying new putters and there isn't a lot of clear instruction about putting out there online and the typically golfer doesn't want to improve putting as much as their swing 

CG2, all - I've been thinking long and hard on all of this great advice.

And after some more reflection, I think I may have been able to distill it all down into one simple, easy to remember and easy to implement on the course solution...

20230711_202013.jpg.49ad4ad6afd0450065be78746466e8bc.jpg

haha

...but seriously in another thread there were a few posts about "being present" for your next shot .....

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

For me it's getting out of my own head!

I play my best games when I've got the earbuds in - rock on Sirius XM - just playing the game without a lot of preshot thinking!  Do what I know and hit the ball.  Earbud in - swing - get to ball - grab the club for the distance - swing - repeat!!!

I believe when I think hard on each swing I take the swing out and make it about mechanics. 

B

37 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

CG2, all - I've been thinking long and hard on all of this great advice.

And after some more reflection, I think I may have been able to distill it all down into one simple, easy to remember and easy to implement on the course solution...

20230711_202013.jpg.49ad4ad6afd0450065be78746466e8bc.jpg

haha

...but seriously in another thread there were a few posts about "being present" for your next shot .....

I wonder if anyone has tried Imagine Golf and found it helpful or worth while?  Ive thought about it but haven't really heard any first hand experience other than the testimonials on it's website. 

I'm not sure how I missed this thread.  I just spent the last half hour reading through all nine pages.  @Golfspy_CG2, this is almost like "It's a Wonderful Life" type of moment.  People concerned about your game and coming out of the woodwork to offer their help and suggestions.  There's a lot of love there!

We've all been there.   I feel for you.   I have an array of physical limitations (broken neck, replaced knees, shoulder surgeries, naturally fused back...) that have limited my distance.  I've become the golfer I used to hate!  Short off the tee on a par four, fairway wood short of the green, chip on and one putt for par.  When I was young, I always wondered how did I loose to this guy!   Just as physical changes impact a golf game, so do visual changes.  So, it will take time to overcome what many would consider the toughest change to overcome.

All is not lost!  I share your driving distance struggles and not hitting many greens in regulation.  In season one of the MGS Virtual Championship Tournament I was consistently the shortest driver of the ball week over week.  Yet, I won the war of attrition and took the title.  So, there is hope!

I've gained access to my GHIN scores for the last 18 years, way before all my physical problems.  If look at my scores over that period of time, I find that with the exception of the year I needed to learn to walk again after breaking my neck, my average annual score is within +/- 0.8 strokes.  Looking back, things I did great 20 years ago, I suck at today.  Back then I couldn't hit a driver to save my life and I carried one just so I had a place to put my towel.  Today, I average about 75% fairways in regulation on a very tight course.  Back in the day, I carried a two iron for tee shots on short par 4s.  Today, I often struggle with a six iron.  I tried every putter and putting style (even side saddle until my wife said I look too much like a geek) with no luck.  Today, I'm considered one of our better putters in my group.   The lesson is that we change over time, our bodies are fairly robust at adjusting to those changes and we just need to adapt our games to deal with those changes. 

The best lesson my wife ever got when she started to play golf was to create her own par.  It seemed silly at first, but the more I thought about it, the more it made sense.  She was constantly frustrated at not making par, she started to press, changing her swing and her game got worse.  Once her "Sue-par" was a double bogey, her outlook and score improved.  I think it was mentioned in a prior response, create your own par for each hole or course and look for the positive of making it.  

Finally, there is light at the end of the tunnel (and it's not a train)!  We all go through these periods.  Some are longer periods than others.  I'm in one now myself.   I was part of the MGS review of the Paradym X irons.  Since putting them in my bag, I've struggled.  Putting my Ping G30's back in didn't help.  So, it was definitely the archer not the arrow!  For me, it's fighting through the problems, not giving up, focusing on what I do well and seeking professional help (sort of what this thread was intended to do) to get a fresh eye on my swing and hold my hand through the improvement process.

I wish you luck!  Just remember, never give up!  You'll get through this and come out in a better place!

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

1 hour ago, Golf2Much said:

I'm not sure how I missed this thread.  I just spent the last half hour reading through all nine pages.  @Golfspy_CG2, this is almost like "It's a Wonderful Life" type of moment.  People concerned about your game and coming out of the woodwork to offer their help and suggestions.  There's a lot of love there!

We've all been there.   I feel for you.   I have an array of physical limitations (broken neck, replaced knees, shoulder surgeries, naturally fused back...) that have limited my distance.  I've become the golfer I used to hate!  Short off the tee on a par four, fairway wood short of the green, chip on and one putt for par.  When I was young, I always wondered how did I loose to this guy!   Just as physical changes impact a golf game, so do visual changes.  So, it will take time to overcome what many would consider the toughest change to overcome.

All is not lost!  I share your driving distance struggles and not hitting many greens in regulation.  In season one of the MGS Virtual Championship Tournament I was consistently the shortest driver of the ball week over week.  Yet, I won the war of attrition and took the title.  So, there is hope!

I've gained access to my GHIN scores for the last 18 years, way before all my physical problems.  If look at my scores over that period of time, I find that with the exception of the year I needed to learn to walk again after breaking my neck, my average annual score is within +/- 0.8 strokes.  Looking back, things I did great 20 years ago, I suck at today.  Back then I couldn't hit a driver to save my life and I carried one just so I had a place to put my towel.  Today, I average about 75% fairways in regulation on a very tight course.  Back in the day, I carried a two iron for tee shots on short par 4s.  Today, I often struggle with a six iron.  I tried every putter and putting style (even side saddle until my wife said I look too much like a geek) with no luck.  Today, I'm considered one of our better putters in my group.   The lesson is that we change over time, our bodies are fairly robust at adjusting to those changes and we just need to adapt our games to deal with those changes. 

The best lesson my wife ever got when she started to play golf was to create her own par.  It seemed silly at first, but the more I thought about it, the more it made sense.  She was constantly frustrated at not making par, she started to press, changing her swing and her game got worse.  Once her "Sue-par" was a double bogey, her outlook and score improved.  I think it was mentioned in a prior response, create your own par for each hole or course and look for the positive of making it.  

Finally, there is light at the end of the tunnel (and it's not a train)!  We all go through these periods.  Some are longer periods than others.  I'm in one now myself.   I was part of the MGS review of the Paradym X irons.  Since putting them in my bag, I've struggled.  Putting my Ping G30's back in didn't help.  So, it was definitely the archer not the arrow!  For me, it's fighting through the problems, not giving up, focusing on what I do well and seeking professional help (sort of what this thread was intended to do) to get a fresh eye on my swing and hold my hand through the improvement process.

I wish you luck!  Just remember, never give up!  You'll get through this and come out in a better place!

What a great post G2M--thanks so much for the taking the time to right that, and more so read through the entire thread.  Most will read the first post jump and post something and point out things that have mentioned 5 times....LOL  But that's because we all have attention spans the size of a minnow 🙂

You may have read in my last post, things made a bit of a turn last week.  Two distinctly different rounds with similar results.   One 9 hole round where I thought I hit the ball as well as Ihad all year, and it was actually mentioned by my regular plying partner as well.   The next day 18 hole round playing the same course, On the 9 that we played the night before, I felt like I hit the ball pretty well, maybe not quite like the night before, but still much better than previously.   And this 18 hole round played from the gold (senior) tees I shot one more stroke than I did form the White (regular tees the night before.  It's not the first time I did that.   I think it probably goes to from the whites, I'm like you above, can't reach many par 4's and play for a short pitch or wedge and hope to 2 putt at worst and maybe get lucky and 1 putt now and then.   Versus from the shorter gold, I get a bit more aggressive and expect to hit the green.  I kind of backed off that for the first 4 holes on this round and was missing some fairways.  Went back to hitting driver off the tee and ran off 3 straight pars.   One of my playing partners said....now exactly why were you hitting iron off the tee on those early holes....LOL

I play like your wife on a lot of holes, my par may be different than the regular par.  I have one hole in our complex, I'll post about below in a separate post that I think I need to play as a par 7 (double par) I tried that las tweak and still l got an 8.   That hole just laughs at me every time I step on the tee.   Everyone has given such great advise in this thread I welcome any thoughts on how to approach that hole.  BTW, I'm not he only one who wants that hole completely blown up 🙂

My advice...blah blah blah.  Recently there has been alot of talk about playing from the tees that fit you.  With your driver distance and saying you don't reach many of the greens in two for par 4's or three for par 5's, I would definitely look to move up to a tee distance where reaching the green in regulation is feasible.  

Obviously you see where the room for improvement is with your short game and putting.  That would help, especially when not reaching greens but also when you do.  A good putter can make up for alot of bad.

I would also look at the stat of greens missed left and right, that is 42% of your greens missed.  Not many long.  Are you aiming for tucked pins?  May try to hit the fat of the greens until you are close enough that you know you can get it in there closer to the pin, if that makes sense?

Always a good way to cut handicap is by taking out the big number. On course lessons help that of course, but be smart and take your medicine and go from there.  Find your strengths and play to those when you can.

My first take away though in reading your stuff and stats was to move up to a tee box to hit more greens in regulation.  Then go from there.

Matt Dura

Francis Marion University Hall of Fame 2018

default_titelist-small.jpg.035c687f1ee4f222f65826e0f2ccf716.jpg TS4 9.5*, HZRDUS Smoke 60g Low spin driver; PRO V1X

default_taylormade-small.jpg.e5271abefda63fc90c515812858df654.jpg M3 17*HL turned down to 15*, Mitsubishi TENSEI CK Series 65 Stiff

Ben Hogan 17* & 21* EDGE CFT Hybrids

default_ping-small.jpg.4f6644e7b181538ad4356fa5baa9ab06.jpg i200 blue dot, KBS Tour 120 S 4i-PW; Glide 58*/10

default_cleveland-small.jpg.c369c88345deb6bf5d6da562e36c46e9.jpg 50* RTX 588; 54* CG10

LeanLockLogo.jpg.79bf29d6bf78b2208e2a58de63e92193.jpg.c85827f16c4e90eabef5b35daa9e8b47.jpg APA Model 1

ODIN.jpg.36f5f3d3738de8051e6e80e0aec7b2d2.jpg X1

39 minutes ago, Girldad18 said:

My advice...blah blah blah.  Recently there has been alot of talk about playing from the tees that fit you.  With your driver distance and saying you don't reach many of the greens in two for par 4's or three for par 5's, I would definitely look to move up to a tee distance where reaching the green in regulation is feasible.  

Obviously you see where the room for improvement is with your short game and putting.  That would help, especially when not reaching greens but also when you do.  A good putter can make up for alot of bad.

I would also look at the stat of greens missed left and right, that is 42% of your greens missed.  Not many long.  Are you aiming for tucked pins?  May try to hit the fat of the greens until you are close enough that you know you can get it in there closer to the pin, if that makes sense?

Always a good way to cut handicap is by taking out the big number. On course lessons help that of course, but be smart and take your medicine and go from there.  Find your strengths and play to those when you can.

My first take away though in reading your stuff and stats was to move up to a tee box to hit more greens in regulation.  Then go from there.

Thanks for the reply GD

Yeah, I covered both those suggestions in a previous post.   Tees--I play the whites due to it being a league that everyone plays the whites about 6200 yards. I didn't play it the last two years as I knew I wouldn't compete much, but a good friend who I only see occasionally plays in it and he missed not having me out there and I missed it as well, so I sucked it up and palyed this year.  I've actually done ok given my starting 2 lengths back 🙂   

The shots missed short I mentioned as well.  yeah, some of it is club selection, have always been told keep taking more club until you go long at least two holes in a row.  But as I mentioned our courses we have two-both have severe trouble long, it's like the architect ran out of room on most of them an just shoved the greens as far back to environmental areas and tree lines as he could...ha  So no not pin hunting at all, just playing to the safer side, although I could be bit more aggressive I suppose. 

Ok, time to play.  How would you play this hole--for you that drive the ball 210 or less.   You longer hitters feel free to say as well.    I'm going to post two pictures of it, one from Google Earth that really shows the true lay of the land, and one from GPS that shows a drawing of it with it.  FYI the distance of 312 you see to the hazard is from the Black tees.  From the White when I play league its 280 and from the gold about 265.  White and Gold tees are on that bigger tee box just ahead and to the right of the back box where the GPS is pointing. 

Here's some typical past rounds for me lets just say from the whites, it's not that much difference on the tee shot. 

• Tee shot of say 200 yards, leaves me about even with that bunker on the right, so there is danger of hitting it and I've been in the one on the left as well, and of course I've lost a couple way right lateral hazard into a yard.   
  • From there I have about 65 yards to the bottom of the hill,  and to clear the hazard it's about 165 to 170 yards.   Which I can do with a well struck 4 hybrid or 5 wood.  Oh and it's a downhill lie and oh in that hazard area is a tall 60 foot Oak tree, that basically gobbles up anything that comes in breathing range 🙂 .  I've gone for it many times and not made it having to use the drop area on the other side which leaves you 200 yards to the green.  I've also bumped a PW or lob wedge down to the bottom, leaving me about 310 yards or so uphill.    
  • From there I would take a 4 hybrid and hopefully get up to about 150 out, trying to miss those bunkers on the right, but I'm usually a bit short of those so it's ok.  
  • So I'm already hitting 4 into a par 5 from 150 yards...see where this is going.   Let's say I miss it a bit short right, I try like heck to avoid that bunker on the left front as it's a tough up and down anywhere on that green, which has a huge two tier aspect to it the back is a good 8 to 10 feet higher than the front. 
  • So chip on in 5 and hope i one putt for a bogey an run off that green with a smile, or two putt and take my medicine and be happy with a "sue par" of 7 as @Golf2Much calls it...love it! 

That's if I play the hole cleanly, there have been a myriad of mishaps that have led t 8's and 10's.   Just complete round wreckers.   So to recap how would you short hitter play.  Remember once you cross that hazard it's all uphill for the final 200 yards, so you're adding at least a club to each shot and maybe 2 on your approach to a back left pin.

84B85B52-3102-4F62-9F1D-F10F93A6C38E.png

B7513A9D-E2E3-45B9-B3B6-1B43EC89DAD4.png

5 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Ok, time to play.  How would you play this hole--for you that drive the ball 210 or less.   You longer hitters feel free to say as well.    I'm going to post two pictures of it, one from Google Earth that really shows the true lay of the land, and one from GPS that shows a drawing of it with it.  FYI the distance of 312 you see to the hazard is from the Black tees.  From the White when I play league its 280 and from the gold about 265.

Here's some typical past rounds for me lets just say from the whites, it's not that much difference on the tee shot. 

• Tee shot of say 200 yards, leaves me about even with that bunker on the right, so there is danger of hitting it and I've been in the one on the left as well, and of course I've lost a couple way right lateral hazard into a yard.   
  • From there I have about 65 yards to the bottom of the hill,  and to clear the hazard it's about 165 to 170 yards.   Which I can do with a well struck 4 hybrid or 5 wood.  Oh and it's a downhill lie.  I've gone for it many times and not made it having to use the drop area on the other side which leaves you 200 yards to the green.  I've also bumped a PW or lob wedge down to the bottom, leaving me about 310 yards or so uphill.    
  • From there I would take a 4 hybrid and hopefully get up to about 150 out, trying to miss those bunkers on the right, but I'm usually a bit short of those so it's ok.  
  • So I'm already hitting 4 into a par 5 from 150 yards...see where this is going.   Let's say I miss it a bit short right, I try like heck to avoid that bunker on the left front as it's a tough up and down anywhere on that green, which has a huge two tier aspect to it the back is a good 8 to 10 feet higher than the front. 
  • So chip on in 5 and hope i one putt for a bogey an run off that green with a smile, or two putt and take my medicine and be happy with a "sue par" of 7 as @Golf2Much calls it...love it! 

That's if I play the hole cleanly, there have been a myriad of mishaps that have led t 8's and 10's.   Just complete round wreckers.   So to recap how would you short hitter play.  Remmberr once you cross that hazard it's all uphill for the final 200 yards, so you're adding at least a club to each shot and maybe 2 on your approach to a back left pin.

AAE7EE88-D2D1-4497-A253-5F2A1D040331.png

I can't get the .png file to open

Driver: :cobra-small: DARKSPEED X 9* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X (Currently Testing)

Fairways: :cobra-small: Aerojet Max 3W & 7W MCA Kai'Li White 60 Stiff

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :cobra-small: Snakebite Black 52/56/60 Hi-Rev 2.0 Black Stiff

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour X :titleist-small: ProV1x

#LeftyGang

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

Unofficial FootJoy Hyperflex BOA 2023 Review

Unofficial Flightscope Mevo Review

2 minutes ago, Jnoble89 said:

I can't get the .png file to open

That's weird, it's showing on both my mobile and desktop.  I just re attached it to see if that helps.  

2 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

That's weird, it's showing on both my mobile and desktop.  I just re attached it to see if that helps.  

Now I can see it!

Driver: :cobra-small: DARKSPEED X 9* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X (Currently Testing)

#LeftyGang

11 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Ok, time to play.  How would you play this hole--for you that drive the ball 210 or less.   You longer hitters feel free to say as well.    I'm going to post two pictures of it, one from Google Earth that really shows the true lay of the land, and one from GPS that shows a drawing of it with it.  FYI the distance of 312 you see to the hazard is from the Black tees.  From the White when I play league its 280 and from the gold about 265.  White and Gold tees are on that bigger tee box just ahead and to the right of the back box where the GPS is pointing. 

• From there I have about 65 yards to the bottom of the hill,  and to clear the hazard it's about 165 to 170 yards.   Which I can do with a well struck 4 hybrid or 5 wood.  Oh and it's a downhill lie and oh in that hazard area is a tall 60 foot Oak tree, that basically gobbles up anything that comes in breathing range 🙂 .  I've gone for it many times and not made it having to use the drop area on the other side which leaves you 200 yards to the green.  I've also bumped a PW or lob wedge down to the bottom, leaving me about 310 yards or so uphill.    

That's if I play the hole cleanly, there have been a myriad of mishaps that have led t 8's and 10's.   Just complete round wreckers.   So to recap how would you short hitter play.  Remember once you cross that hazard it's all uphill for the final 200 yards, so you're adding at least a club to each shot and maybe 2 on your approach to a back left pin.

This is a doozy of a Par 5! In a perfect world, 575ish total yards with 280 to that hazard from the Whites, I think my tee shot play would be 3W. I can control ball flight with it much better than driver, and I'd be concerned about getting too offline and ending up in that hazard on the left past that left bunker. Assuming a good strike, I'd get anywhere from 235-250, leaving a good 320 yards. From there:

• Option One: 7W 200-210 yards with the height to hopefully avoid the large oak you reference 🤣. If I fail there, hitting the same club from the drop area on the other side and trying to get on the green.
  • If I clear the hazard (tree) and stay out of the sand on the right (fade bias as a lefty helps this LOL), I'm left with anywhere from 120-140ish yards. Adding in the uphill factor, I'm probably looking at an 8i or 9i depending on which end of the distance spectrum I fall.
  • Two putts to get away with a Par would be a huge win in my book. Odds are I'd find a way to three putt if I got a GIR, or would have a penalty stroke sneak in there and I'm hoping to get out with a double.

#LeftyGang

I’m not a short hitter but I’ll add my $.02. I would hit your drive and aim away from danger. A well struck tee shot that keeps you in position is clearly the key here. Any errant shots off the tee will change to strategy of course. Play your 5-wood second shot to clear the divided fairway and then for your third shot, I would lay up just past the bunkers on the right but short of the green side bunker in front. In a perfect world, try to leave yourself 30-50 yards in for your fourth shot and give you a good look at par and at worse a 6. I think the bigger scores come from approaching the home with a mindset of reaching the green in 3 at all cost. So many ways to play for par on holes like this. 

Driver:  cobralogo.png.60692cdc05482efd83e68664e010b95f.png Aerojet LS, Ventus Blue Shaft - 6S
4 Wood:  callaway.png.e65d398fb0327017a369499fc6126064.png Rogue ST Max 16.5, Tensei White Shaft - 7S
Utility Iron: mizunopro.png.90cc4fb9895830e28063d9a5be416145.png Fli Hi 3-iron, HAZARDOUS Smoke Black Shaft - S
Irons:  mizuno.png.f0e7b21135cb6273b3c1430866904467.png JPX 921 Tour 4-P, Project X Shafts - Stiff 125g
Wedges: cleveland.png.f21f4d2361520fdf1bbd9d515a2f11e6.png 52º, 56º, 60º
Putter:  odyssey.png.58c727e37eb7efda62bce4f7b8881bd9.png Ai-One 7 T CH, 34"
Preferred Ball: srixon.png.f177578dda27a20ef80a0a8b1ae96e3b.png Z-Star Diamond
Pushcart: bagboy.jpg.0dda53b5175958e1b5686f22b90af744.jpg Nitron
Rangefinder: bushnell.jpg.c51debd06066fa243dea7f14d69a8dba.jpg Tour V5 Shift

23 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I wonder if anyone has tried Imagine Golf and found it helpful or worth while?  Ive thought about it but haven't really heard any first hand experience other than the testimonials on it's website. 

For mental game Jon Sherman's "Four Foundations" has been mentioned, plus he also has a lot of good articles & info on his website practicalgolf. Another great resource I can recommend is David MacKenzie and his "Golf State of Mind".

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

1 hour ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Best course of action is probably to play for 6 (a birdie for you) or a 7. I would say off the tee take something that removes the possiblity of hitting into those 2 bunkers. Next shot just short of the hazard. Depending on the distance that leaves you just ensure you are missing the next set of fairway bunkers. Hard to tell but it looks like anything long and/or right is the best spot to chip from. I know everyone preaches about the easiest way to lower scores is to eliminate doubles, however this hole is just a tough SOB, your goal should be to eliminate big numbers. I am going to guess while it occasionally happens without them, the majority of your big scores on this hole stem from hitting it inot fw bunkers or the hazard. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."