Testers Wanted: ExPutt! ×

Music on the Golf Course?

Someone in the group in front or behind wants to play music, and it annoys me, then I have zero issue with talking at the same decibel level as the trash in playing in your speaker.  If the you want to play music while I’m putting or on the tee box, don’t get butt hurt when I point out to my playing partners how trash your swing is and that any man who hits a ball that short is incapable of pleasuring his wife.  

I’m genuinely curious how often people hear music “blaring from 2 holes over” because I can honestly say that I never have. Is that an actual problem or something that’s been made up on the internet?

Also I have this sneaking suspicion that a Venn diagram of folks who rant about how terrible music on the course is and folks who tell other golfers to “just deal with it” when they smoke nasty smelling cigars for 18 holes is just a giant circle. 

In my Big Max hybrid bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:wilson_staff_small: D200 6i-GW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:maxfli: Tour S

I recently purchased a JBL Clip for my golf bag. I enjoy music on the course but I’m cognizant of those around me and I don’t play it loud. So clearly music on the course is fine by me. 😊

image.png.ec65754993cb81a3d0a7d15c70ab8fd1.png  Anyday Maverick Black Ops 7-way

:PXG: 0311 Black Ops 8° w/Mitsubishi Diamana S+ 60

:PXG: 0311 XF 3 wood 16° w/Fujikura Motore X F3

:PXG:0211 Hybrid 3 19° w/Project X Even Flow Riptide

:ping-small: G410 Crossover 4 w/Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Blue 70

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym X 6 - GW w/True Temper Elevate MPH Official Forum Test

:vokey-small: SM9 54°/12° D and 58°/12° D w/KBS Tour 110

image.png.0f5b009ff3d83fdae5e2e361f9676226.png DF3 w/BGT Stability ONE Forum Test

:EVNROLL: ER11v 34”  Evnroll ER11v Official Forum Test

Shot Scope Pro LX+ Pro LX+ Official Forum Test

:OnCore: Elixr 

:Clicgear: 3.5+

Definitely anti-music, but I can deal with others enjoying it quietly. This might be crazy, but I wonder if listening to certain music can be considered using a training aid. I use a tempo metronome app for putting practice. Seems to me that specific music can be used similarly. Not a big deal for club tournaments, but maybe for state and national competitions?

Driver Ping G425

4 wood Tour Edge Exotics CBX

7 wood Ping G400

9 wood Ping G400

5-PW Mizuno Pro 223

50, 52, 58 wedges Mizuno T22

Not a fan of music on the course, mainly due to the fact that far too many play it loud enough to be heard from two fairways away, in many cases I've observed. Have played in a few groups where a person was playing music that only our group could hear, still wasn't a fan but at least it wasn't as obnoxious or overt as many. I love music as much as the next person, just not a fan on the course.

Troy Sheaffer 

14 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

I’m genuinely curious how often people hear music “blaring from 2 holes over” because I can honestly say that I never have. Is that an actual problem or something that’s been made up on the internet?

Also I have this sneaking suspicion that a Venn diagram of folks who rant about how terrible music on the course is and folks who tell other golfers to “just deal with it” when they smoke nasty smelling cigars for 18 holes is just a giant circle. 

Have music from well over 100 yards away on to many occasions to mention, which is at best incredibly rude and obnoxious. I like music as much as the next person, but not while I'm golfing.

Troy Sheaffer 

Generally hate it.  I want to hear the noises of the open air, and the thwack of a ball.  Particularly, I want hear cries of "Fore".

Music as an aid to swing rhythm is against the rules (Rule 4.3a (4)), but background music is allowed there.
My local federation bans personal audio completely on their "hard card".  But IMHO, if your broadcast device has your choice of music on it (cf LIV first tee), it might as well be considered personal!

Prior to a tournament starting, to build atmosphere - OK

Current Bag(s)

• Mizuno ST-X 230 Dr (Mitsubishi Kai'Li Blue 60R)
  • Mizuno ST-X 220 4H, 5W, 3W (Aldila Ascent 50 R)
  • Mizuno JPX-921 4i-PW, S22 50/08 T22 55, 60 (Modus 105 R)
  • Odyssey Strokelab Double Width Triple Track 
  • Chromesoft Triple Track or Supersoft

I am ok with Music on the course, but should not be too loud. Recreational golf go for it.

Anything competitive or for money, no music.

Always ask the group if music is ok before the round and ask what types.

Kyle

WITB:

Callaway Rogue LST 10.5

Ping G425 5 Wood

Callaway Rogue LST 3 Wood

Taylormade Sim 2 Hybrid

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged Iron Set

Cleveland RTX Wedges

Scotty Phantom 11.5 Putter

Ball: Pro V1 or Chromesofts

If they are not pro-LIV fans, but play music on the golf course…they are secretly, pro-LIV fans!

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5, set to 10.5°, R Flex

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max 5W, 18°, R Flex

Hybrid: Callaway Apex 21 Pro, 3H, 20°, R Flex; Apex 21, 5H, set to 24°, R Flex

Irons 6-9, PW, GW:  0311P, Gen3, Graphite, R Flex

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM8, 54° & 58°

Chipper: Ping ChipR, Black dot

Putter: Ping Heppler Fetch, set to 34"

40 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

I find cigar smoke much more offensive then music on the course - seems like I'm always downwind and can't get away from it -  it affects my health and also my clothes end up smelling like s*&%.  And don't get me started on those that leave their cigar or cigarette butts on the tee or adjacent to the green. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

33 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

It hasn’t happened to me in my little corner of the world. The last time I heard loud music was in California in the summer on a busy course that I play when I’m in town. I remember hearing it from two different groups at different times. I remember one of them as a foursome with two carts. I get it—they’re having a friendly outing together.

Both times I wasn’t playing, so it didn’t distract me on a shot. Both times they were on a different hole than me (not two holes over), but yeah, it happens, and yeah, as usual it takes a couple of bad apples to ruin it for the rest of us. 😉

WITB 2024

DRIVER Cobralogo.png.5257fd97d99f057b9bfc81c06d7fcc62.png AEROJET 10.5°  |  FAIRWAY Callawaylogo.png.c084288fc4a8ed17e2f93c60b519702c.png ROGUE ST MAX 3/15°
HYBRID Pinglogo.png.11947cc88c8641d62e0a99c26da08b18.png G410 21°  |  UTILITY Untitled-9(1).png.4964fe6cb2103eef562fd832a625b0d5.png 699 V2 U 5/23°
IRONS Untitled-9(1).png.4964fe6cb2103eef562fd832a625b0d5.png 699 V2 6-PW
WEDGES Clevelandgolflogo.png.9b2e702587cd5230010a835ced0f97a0.png CBX 2 50°, 54°, 58°
PUTTER Cobralogo.png.5257fd97d99f057b9bfc81c06d7fcc62.png KING GRANDSPORT 35

BALL WilsonStafflogo.png.d0d70a74fad1e8f9c4d9f0581e24d31e.pngMODEL | Vicelogo.png.ac8ca0040252d91a9cdaef9d94e6284b.png PRO WHITE/BLUE ICE
BAG Sunmountainlogo.png.2555e0c0e8e49c09ea72c6df224aa0f2.png 3.5 LS  |  PUSHCART Roviclogo.png.ebc800ac4238271b0253c238793522de.png RV1S

2024 Fit For Golf Training App Review

At times music on the course is a great thing. Agree with others about respecting other peoples wishes, volume, etc. Like most things in life- don't be a jerk about it lol 

Bluetooth speakers on the course are the worst thing to happen to golf since cigars. imo.

:ping-small: G430 Max HL Max Driver

:ping-small: G430 Max HL 5- and 7-Woods

:ping-small: G430 Max  HL 4-Hybrid

:titleist-small: T300 6-GW Irons

:ping-small: Glide 3.0 52 and 58 degree Wedges

:titleist-small: Vokey SM9 56 degree Sand Wedge

:bettinardi-small: BB-8W Putter

:titleist-small: ProV1x Balls

Semper ubi, sub ubi.

I prefer the silence of nature. I have no problem if someone wants to play tunes, my problem is when I am 4 holes away and I feel like I am in a concert. Just no respectful to the people around them. 

Quick story - playing a round a group behind us is playing music real loud. Guy in one cart is hollering to another guy (who is playing the music) if he picked up his club. My partner is attempting to tee off. Each time he addressed the ball, the first guy screams to the music guy if he picked up his club. After 4x, my partner steps back and shouts at music guy, asking if he picked up other guys club. Finally got an answer, however music continued to play loudly. Oh well, more important things to get upset about!

Ken "Cruise" Mancini

maybe there should be a rule that you can only listen to music when you walk? 

that way it goes with you when you're looking for your ball OB... 😆

Driver-  Titleist  TSR3 10*
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*
Irons- Titleist 718 AP2 (5i-50*)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Wilson Infinite Grant Park
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

On 7/9/2023 at 5:22 PM, Ron Folkinga said:

What are your thoughts about music while playing golf? I've played about four or five rounds with a guy I ran into last summer. He is a friend of a friend who I had met once before but didn't know at all. He insists on bringing a speaker and installing it on the cart and playing 70's rock all day long while playing. The first few times it didn't bother me too much but I still wasn't wild about it. The last couple of times it really started bugging me and affecting my game. For the record we're both in our 60's and I love music. I have a nice stereo set up at home and love listening to good music. I like a lot of different genres and I do listen to some oldies once in a while. But four and half hours of listening to 70's rock just doesn't do it for me. The last time we played we were on the first tee and on came Bob Segar's "Old Time Rock and Roll." I just couldn't take it any more and asked him politely if we could just cut the music this time. He seemed somewhat offended even though he insisted he wasn't. He replied that he would agree "this one time." He's never asked if music bothers anyone and if anyone so much as makes a peep while he's on the tee box he has no problem turning around and giving them a dirty look. 

What do you think, pro music or no music?

Senior golfers getting shorter

I do not mind music playing.  There are times I even play music.  It is a nice distraction for my mind so I not thinking about my golf game.  Other golfers do have to be mindful to those around them and need to respect one's wish.  A regular guy I play with, he asked to turn it down and I kindly and respectfully sis his request.  Another guy explained why he does not like music playing, because it reminded him of bad ex's and causes him to start playing bad.  We were like ok.  People who like playing music have to be mindful that we need to be quiet and not everyone like noises.  I learned to deal with it from my dad always talking with his golf buddies while I was hitting, but God forbid I made a sound when he was hitting.

Salisbury New Taylormade M1 Demo - Tailor Made Logo Png Clipart ...Driver: Taylor Made Stealth 10.5*

Mizuno Irons: JPX 923 Tour

Irons: Proto Rose

Ladies Golf Balls - Titleist Golf Logo Clipart (#110861) - PinClipartWedges: SM7 52.08; SM6 60.04

Cleveland Golf Png & Free Cleveland Golf.png Transparent Images ...Wedges: Zip core: 54, and 58 

Callaway Golf Wedge: Jaws 50

Salisbury New Taylormade M1 Demo - Tailor Made Logo Png Clipart ... Putter: Platinum S

Odyssey putter: Jail Bird

I am also a music lover but loud rock music doesn't belong pn a golf course.  It messes up your rhythm.  Because of the rhythm of a golf swing. Waltzes work better.

He should use ear buds like the pros.

Senior golfers getting shorter

I'm not a fan of music on the golf course.  I find it very distracting.  I've played electric guitar since a kid and absolutely love classic rock, southern rock and some mild metal (think Van Halen, Ozzy, etc).  I can't take it on the golf course because I can't concentrate.  I know whatever song is playing, and the lyrics and guitar parts start dancing through my mind instead of what I'm trying to do.  I can compromise if it is at a low level and not in my cart.  Also, do not pull up next to me if I am hitting a shot.  Greenside it doesn't much matter.  I don't buy the "I can't wear earbuds cuz I won't hear FORE."  That's just a silly excuse.  I play with guys half deaf all the time. I guess they shouldn't be allowed to play (sarc)?  Also, I can talk to guys on the range that are practicing with earbuds.  I'm pretty sure if I yelled at them they would hear me.   It's a little narcissistic.  Kinda like the guys that drive with music blasting out of their cars so everyone else can enjoy their taste in music.  They don't want to wear earbuds because it isn't about hearing the music, it is about sharing the music.  If it's about sharing then if it makes someone uncomfortable then it should be off.  That is courtesy.

On 7/9/2023 at 10:57 PM, Ben Joest said:

I shouldn’t be able to hear your music 3 fairways over.

I am personally not a fan of music via speaker while on the course, but have no issues if other people do it as long as the above comment is true. Loud music in turn demands loud talking and no body is a fan of that.

Music can have a calming effect and help take negative thoughts and overthinking out of the swing. I usually have one earbud in when I am hitting into my net in the garage and occasionally while out on the course by myself.

I use golf to create camaraderie with my playing partners, talk about the work week, catch-up with someone I haven’t played with in a while. I find playing music can interfere with that aspect a bit. 

• PING G430 LST 10.5 driver
  • Tour Edge Exotics EXS 220 3w
  • PING G400 5w
  • Cobra Speedzone 3h
  • Srixon z585 irons 5-AW
  • Cleveland CBX2 52
  • Cleveland CBX 56
  • PING Heppler Anser 2 putter

I walk 95% of the rounds I play.  I find the sound of gas powered carts while I am playing can be more disruptive than my music, though I don't play it so it can be heard two holes away.  That is simply incredibly selfish, obnoxious and annoying.

On 7/9/2023 at 11:22 PM, Ron Folkinga said:

What are your thoughts about music while playing golf? I've played about four or five rounds with a guy I ran into last summer. He is a friend of a friend who I had met once before but didn't know at all. He insists on bringing a speaker and installing it on the cart and playing 70's rock all day long while playing. The first few times it didn't bother me too much but I still wasn't wild about it. The last couple of times it really started bugging me and affecting my game. For the record we're both in our 60's and I love music. I have a nice stereo set up at home and love listening to good music. I like a lot of different genres and I do listen to some oldies once in a while. But four and half hours of listening to 70's rock just doesn't do it for me. The last time we played we were on the first tee and on came Bob Segar's "Old Time Rock and Roll." I just couldn't take it any more and asked him politely if we could just cut the music this time. He seemed somewhat offended even though he insisted he wasn't. He replied that he would agree "this one time." He's never asked if music bothers anyone and if anyone so much as makes a peep while he's on the tee box he has no problem turning around and giving them a dirty look. 

What do you think, pro music or no music?

It is part of the legend of golf to be quiet and respectful while others focus on their shot.  If it was me, I probably would not play with him again or I would kindly inform him that I noticed that the music/noise affected my play and therefore would prefer to play without it. I have also recently noticed at my club a recent phenomenon whereby if someone misses their shot they yell or scream out (this is more something the Asians at my club do), and for example if you are in the middle of your stroke and  you hear this loud scream out, you are startled and it affects you. So my view would be no music on the golf course.  I go there for the game, camaraderie and some exercise, not for music and anxiety. 

image.png.b89fa684b54b186f20c376e6af43ac1d.png 425's- 5i to PW, UW

image.png.4462ac5ffcc9491d68e78951b3a1a587.png  G400 Driver, G425 3W, G425 7W, G425 3H

image.png.cf53a065a6e348c87221c4bf13510375.png 56 degree Hi-Toe wedge

image.png.4462ac5ffcc9491d68e78951b3a1a587.png  Glide 60 degree 

image.png.d4990c8d6330ecc392d9a5124b26165a.png Evnroll ER3

I play a lot of golf with strangers on weekend because I work at the club.  I can't make a morning time on weekends but can pick up.

I am very pro music.  I think it needs to be one sound not dueling carts.  I play a combo of Motown and soft rock via pandora.  

I always ask first and if anyone seems put off I just pop on ear piece in and listen privately.  One ear for the group and I can pause the music with a touch in my ear.

Driver: Titleist TSR 3 10* Accura TZ6 M3 65g

Fairways: Callaway Rogue 15* & 19* Matrix Ozik TP 6 HD stiff 

Hybrid: Titleist TSI 4 & 5 Hybrids Mitsubishi Tensi AV 65 HY X stiff   

Irons:  KZG Forged III 6-P Accura iS7 (Refinished and regrooved)

Wedges: Cleveland CBX  50*, Taylormade MG 3 Tiger grind 56 bent to 54/10 & Taylormade MG 4 Tiger grind 56 bent to 58/14

Putter: Evnroll ER2 head with a custom shaft set up from Positive Putters that gives a toe up balance

Ball: Calaway Chome Tour with triple track                     

All clubs have Winn Dri-Tac Wraps oversized