Club Membership

My local club use to be 18 holes. They sold and turning it into a resort/RV type deal. They kept 9 holes (6 from front and 3 from the back) it's a hybrid 9/18 (there's 2 different sets of tees) you play one set first 9 and another set 2nd 9. 

Anyway my question is would it be worth me joining a Course like this? I do play 3 days a week and it's there 90% of the Time. It does get old at times cause of playing just the same 9 holes even though some holes play different depending on Tee box played from. So was just wondering about memberships and if it's worth my time and money on joining a club like this?

Would be a no from me.  Being limited to just 9 plus tourists wouldn't make it worth it unless it was incredibly cheap.

What are they looking at charging and what does it include?

:callaway-logo-1:Mavrik 10.5* :projectx: HZRDS T800 Orange 60 6.0

:taylormade-small: RocketBallz Stage 2 3W

:mizuno-small:ST-Z 5W :projectx: EvenFlow 5.5

:srixon-small: ZX Utility 23*, UST Recoil F3

:titleist-small:T300 :projectx: LZ 5.5, 5-PW

:mizuno-small: T22 Copper Denim :truetemper: DG R300, 52* 56*

:vokey-small: SM9 :truetemper: DG R300, 60*

:odyssey-small: Strokelabs One

:vice: Pro Soft

9 minutes ago, CLenahan said:

Would be a no from me.  Being limited to just 9 plus tourists wouldn't make it worth it unless it was incredibly cheap.

What are they looking at charging and what does it include?

It's 110 a month and it includes your normal golf Membership stuff, Advanced Tee times, Discounts, Lower tournament prices ect.. Now when it's all complete I don't know what else they will include. When I play just 9 holes it's 20 bucks and 30 to play 18 each time. 

5 minutes ago, Shortknocker said:

It's 110 a month and it includes your normal golf Membership stuff, Advanced Tee times, Discounts, Lower tournament prices ect.. Now when it's all complete I don't know what else they will include. When I play just 9 holes it's 20 bucks and 30 to play 18 each time. 

At what you are paying for 18, plus monthly membership, you aren't far off what I am paying monthly for a 36 hole private club.  Granted, there are thigs like initiation at provate clubs to consider, I would do some shopping around unless you absolutely love this course.  If you do, go for it.

:callaway-logo-1:Mavrik 10.5* :projectx: HZRDS T800 Orange 60 6.0

:taylormade-small: RocketBallz Stage 2 3W

:mizuno-small:ST-Z 5W :projectx: EvenFlow 5.5

:srixon-small: ZX Utility 23*, UST Recoil F3

:titleist-small:T300 :projectx: LZ 5.5, 5-PW

:mizuno-small: T22 Copper Denim :truetemper: DG R300, 52* 56*

:vokey-small: SM9 :truetemper: DG R300, 60*

:odyssey-small: Strokelabs One

:vice: Pro Soft

27 minutes ago, CLenahan said:

At what you are paying for 18, plus monthly membership, you aren't far off what I am paying monthly for a 36 hole private club.  Granted, there are thigs like initiation at provate clubs to consider, I would do some shopping around unless you absolutely love this course.  If you do, go for it.

No I don't pay for 18 plus monthly. If I join it's just the 110 monthly unlimited plus I have to pay the cart fee each time. There's no initiation. But just not sure it's still worth it because Im really probably only saving 40 bucks or so a month playing 3 times a week. But the other stuff and saving some money may be worth it. That's why I'm asking. The course is in great shape, and I was a member there for years before the change. 

Edited by Shortknocker

Here in Key West, we have one 18 hole golf course within 130 miles.  I also play it three times a week and I joined as a member after doing the cost per round financial analysis.  I've been a member here for over 15 years and play about 150 rounds a year.  People will ask if I get tired of playing the same course over and over?  My answer is no.   Every day we have changing wind direction and strength and other conditions that makes the course play different.  I'm never board playing the same track over and over again.  

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  
13 hours ago, Golf2Much said:

Here in Key West, we have one 18 hole golf course within 130 miles.  I also play it three times a week and I joined as a member after doing the cost per round financial analysis.  I've been a member here for over 15 years and play about 150 rounds a year.  People will ask if I get tired of playing the same course over and over?  My answer is no.   Every day we have changing wind direction and strength and other conditions that makes the course play different.  I'm never board playing the same track over and over again.  

I think it really depends on the course. We belonged to one here in Ohio that was 18 holds but very challenging, from the 5,700 yd tees it was rated 123. And just like your course in Key West (which I've played) we had weather and other environmental challenges that made it interesting. Our course in Florida is 27 holes and we constantly mix up the 9's to play 18 and that's pretty interesting. On the other hand where we use to rent in Marathon, there was a 9 hole course that was exceptionally boring, I would go there once a week more to practice short game rather than 'play'.   

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

5 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

I think it really depends on the course. We belonged to one here in Ohio that was 18 holds but very challenging, from the 5,700 yd tees it was rated 123. And just like your course in Key West (which I've played) we had weather and other environmental challenges that made it interesting. Our course in Florida is 27 holes and we constantly mix up the 9's to play 18 and that's pretty interesting. On the other hand where we use to rent in Marathon, there was a 9 hole course that was exceptionally boring, I would go there once a week more to practice short game rather than 'play'.   

The 9 hole course I'm speaking of in my original post is 5600yds but it's pretty wide open. But now I've got a 18 hole course just 2 more miles from me that is 5800 but it's very tight and lots of doglegs. You have to hit irons off of many Tees or you will be in creeks or ponds. There's lots of Streams that run through the whole course. It's very fun yet even though short it's very challenging. I've thought about membership there but it stays Packed daily! Still at 100 month plus cart fees may be worth it over the 9 hole course. For one thing without being member there it's pretty steep price (for our area) to just go play there. 

I'd get very bored playing the same 9 all the time and that course you describe with 18-holes would frustrate the hell outta me!

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

21 minutes ago, Shortknocker said:

Why you don't like challenging courses that makes you have to think about every shot?

Doesn't matter what I think you're the one that needs to make the decision.

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

Another thing with courses around me is it doesn't really benefit financially because I'd only be saving like 40-50 a month. Unless I played basically everyday but 3 at the most 4 times a week is all I play. The only benefits that come with our memberships are 10-15% discounts and lower tournament prices which I don't play in too many tournaments. And advanced tee times. Other than that, that's it. Just trying to weigh my options. Im really starting to question what is really the use in Joining anywhere 

I've belonged to a few courses over the years and always found that having a regular group to play with made all the difference.  If I mostly played with whoever the pro shop grouped me with, I would probably not pay for membership and play as many courses as I could in the area.  Of course, you could have a regular group and not be a member but my experience is it's harder to maintain a group of non-members.

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

7 minutes ago, Hook DeLoft said:

I've belonged to a few courses over the years and always found that having a regular group to play with made all the difference.  If I mostly played with whoever the pro shop grouped me with, I would probably not pay for membership and play as many courses as I could in the area.  Of course, you could have a regular group and not be a member but my experience is it's harder to maintain a group of non-members.

I usually play by myself and the clubs around here never has paired me up with anyone. The 9 hole course I'm speaking of above is never really crowded at all except early on weekends. Through the week theres maybe 10 players at a time on the course. I can play 18 holes in 2.5hrs. My Wife does go and rides around with me cause she loves being on the course plus I can't leave her at home by herself as she has some health issues. She use to play but can't now but she loves being out there. 

1 hour ago, Shortknocker said:

I usually play by myself and the clubs around here never has paired me up with anyone. The 9 hole course I'm speaking of above is never really crowded at all except early on weekends. Through the week theres maybe 10 players at a time on the course. I can play 18 holes in 2.5hrs. My Wife does go and rides around with me cause she loves being on the course plus I can't leave her at home by herself as she has some health issues. She use to play but can't now but she loves being out there. 

In that case, I would lean toward not having a membership.  That way you can play different clubs without the guilt of paying for one course and playing at another.  Well, "guilt" may be too strong a word, but you get the point.

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

1 hour ago, Hook DeLoft said:

In that case, I would lean toward not having a membership.  That way you can play different clubs without the guilt of paying for one course and playing at another.  Well, "guilt" may be too strong a word, but you get the point.

Another thing I run into is the 18 hole course that is close to me that I enjoy playing charges a lot more than the 9 hole course I mentioned in my OP. So when I play there it cost me much more. As for memberships the 2 courses are the same Monthly dues and same cart fee prices. That's the reason I end up just going to that 9 hole course 90% of the time.